Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Panfilo posted:

I keep hearing about that happen but I gotta assume the sub can just out turn the BB ?

The BB is still fast enough that it will stay within arming distance of all but the best Nazi bote Captains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Reminder that the euro fleet battles are in 45 minutes or so if you guys want to do some.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I can't tell if my Aoba just attracts the worst pub teams like magnets or the fact that I can't wipe out DD screens like lightning like my Pensa just means my pubs are more likely to get spotted, flail around uselessly, and get dunked by Ises when I'm in it. I always seem to be the last man standing in a hopeless fight in that thing.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Fleet battles are on, get your two wins if you haven't already had them.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Two surfaced subs decided to hang off the rear end of my Repulse to try to chase and torp it.

This was not a good idea on their part; those secondaries are like a laser drill and most of them can shoot backwards.

Also I would really like the US Alaska class cruisers with the nutty 12 inch guns that were 'totally not BCs, we swear'. They'd make a good Premium.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 7, 2016

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I just watched the most amazing thing. A DD flailing about against a submerged sub in which everyone on our team sat and watched. Finally, one of our subs fires a spread that misses the enemy sub but kills the fubuki. DD then types noobs. I would agree, except that the fubuki was launching torps when the sub was in deep dive. So I immediately asked about his lack of depth charge use which got a why response. This sub was the last enemy btw.

Why do I always get the teammates that don't understand dd role, while the enemy ones do?

Also, am I under the proper impression that dd fills too many roles? Do later bb have enough secondary weight to make drive by torp runs a very bad idea? Right now they seem to be a hard counter to subs (which they were rl too), but also have torp spam weight for cv and bb hunting.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

It's pretty dicey to do torp runs against battleships tier 4 and up. It's not uncommon to have six+ secondaries per broadside and their range and damage also goes up.

That said, pubbie BBs are adverse to left clicking so you can get away with things you're not supposed to.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Yeah before tier 4 you can basically run around in a DD, especially the Fubuki, and do pretty much whatever you want. Past tier 4 you start to run into CLs like the Atlanta and BBs that have real secondary guns.

I will say DDs do have a bit too much to do given they have to both spot and kill subs which often don't happen in the same places, but they are also the most fun class to play and perfectly capable of doing everything.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

JuffoWup posted:

Do later bb have enough secondary weight to make drive by torp runs a very bad idea?

Later BBs tend to have several destroyers/an entire light cruiser's worth of firepower strapped to them as secondaries.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Night10194 posted:

Later BBs tend to have several destroyers/an entire light cruiser's worth of firepower strapped to them as secondaries.

Yeah, to put it in perspective a SoDak has most of a Brooklyn worth of secondaries, which makes light cruisers mostly worthless.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Danann posted:

It's pretty dicey to do torp runs against battleships tier 4 and up. It's not uncommon to have six+ secondaries per broadside and their range and damage also goes up.

That said, pubbie BBs are adverse to left clicking so you can get away with things you're not supposed to.

Save your smoke, use it to screen your approach and don't be dumb and try if if he has people around to spot you.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Got drunk, spent 18,000 gold to try to get Kaspar Maas/Luckner. Get nothing but 1 star shitters.

Spend $50 real money to get more gold, spend another 18,000 gold to try again, get 2x Kaspar Maas and 3x Luckner :suicide:

Panfilo fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 7, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Warbadger posted:

Save your smoke, use it to screen your approach and don't be dumb and try if if he has people around to spot you.

If he's alone, though, fling the smoke in HIS face instead of your own; it'll gently caress his spotting and most pubbies don't know that trick at all, so they'll wonder why the gently caress you just made them safe until the fwee-fwee-fwee of doom begins.

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
Quick question, what is this quick train mode you speak of?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Jack Forge posted:

Quick question, what is this quick train mode you speak of?

When a ship becomes 'elite' (all modules unlocked including the next ship) or you use a premium ship, there is a box above the crew in the upper left corner called 'Quick training'. This takes all the exp the ship would gain (which couldn't be used on anything else for the ship at this point) and gives it to the crew, allowing them to level up faster.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Panfilo posted:

Got drunk, spent 18,000 gold to try to get Kaspar Maas/Luckner. Get nothing but 1 star shitters.

Spend $50 real money to get more gold, spend another 18,000 gold to try again, get 2x Kaspar Maas and 3x Luckner :suicide:

Luckner is a 1-star, right? I think I have him (the 5% disguise, 150 scouting range, and another 2% disguise upon elite). What is Maas?

Also how do you get the 7-day event ship? I claimed it but right clicking on it isn't giving anything, and I don't dare left-click since that's how you sell the Repulse package.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Left click and click the option that isn't Sell.

The Ning-Hai is surprisingly not terrible despite being a T2 CL. They :china: biased up a couple extra knots of speed (though not much) to make it playable and it's basically a (much) slower Yubari with weaker, faster-loading guns at 2 tiers lower.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
The Ning Hai definitely looks okay for tier 2, you have enough pen with HE to hit for almost 100 on DDs. It's gonna be a seal clubber, which probably isn't good for the player base though.

Also poopsock complete, I was #1 in the daily kill and MVP rankings yesterday, and I jumped into the first page on battle power and #4 on renown rank. The battle power one I think is kind of crazy since most of the people on that page have like 400-700 more games then me.

on that note I probably won't be on at all today, mix of Super Bowl and other stuff. I might be on late just to poopsock 3 stars though since it's like less than 10 games away. 5v5s are gonna be a non-starter, I think several of us will be missing.

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General
How do you get the Ning Hai? I can't find anything on what you need to do in order to get it.

*Nevermind I figured it out.

Lee Outrageous fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 7, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I discovered the trick to hitting Dark Judge DDs, I think. They circle. A lot. If you get used to mapping the turning circle in your head you can dunk them.

s1ppycup
Jul 31, 2010
applied to fleet as zerodankthirty

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Pervis posted:

Luckner is a 1-star, right? I think I have him (the 5% disguise, 150 scouting range, and another 2% disguise upon elite). What is Maas?

Also how do you get the 7-day event ship? I claimed it but right clicking on it isn't giving anything, and I don't dare left-click since that's how you sell the Repulse package.

Kaspar Maas is a 3 star I believe. His Commander ability allows you to know when you've been spotted which makes him very nice on DDs.

I would say Luckner is probably the best 1 star, just for the combination of skills you get from him.

As much as I'd like to wring another 2% disguise out of him, I'm saving my qualification points to give Cunningham +10% damage.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Holy poo poo the Myoko is so loving good after the Aoba.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Holy poo poo the Myoko is so loving good after the Aoba.

According to Mazz, the IJN cruisers have a higher arc and are better at hurting battleship deck armour.

Personally, I just like how fast and turny they are.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mazz is correct, I observed this same thing and remarked on it today.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Yeah, the US CAs are better DD killers because they fly so flat, so you can aim behind a DD without much penalty and have to think less about flight time and exact shot positioning. The Jap CAs are much better against hard targets because you can plunge fire, as you said. Especially since the Tone and Takao seem to shoot real far.

EDIT: This bote is a large bote.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 9, 2016

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

Mazz posted:

Yeah, the US CAs are better DD killers because they fly so flat, so you can aim behind a DD without much penalty and have to think less about flight time and exact shot positioning. The Jap CAs are much better against hard targets because you can plunge fire, as you said. Especially since the Tone and Takao seem to shoot real far.

drat that's one sexy bote, I want it!

Have you been able to get a game with it? How do you like it so far?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

My first game in the Myoko I picked apart a Pennsylvania, crushed a Nevada, and killed a Northampton.

This constituted killing 3/4 of their team myself. I didn't even come close to running out of ammo. Bote is good.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Benson finish report: 1x Turrets are dildos. Definitely not a keeper.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Mazz posted:

You're a fiend, and in retrospect, the Iowa class was a waste of taxpayer dollars that only incompetent Russians considered a threat.

Speaking of, I bought a 1800 gold crew pack and only got John Clarkson out of the deal. Excellented Macmillan though.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Night10194 posted:

My first game in the Myoko I picked apart a Pennsylvania, crushed a Nevada, and killed a Northampton.

This constituted killing 3/4 of their team myself. I didn't even come close to running out of ammo. Bote is good.

The Myoko is probably the best IJN CA for its tier in the whole line. It's good at pretty much anything.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Lee Outrageous posted:

drat that's one sexy bote, I want it!

Have you been able to get a game with it? How do you like it so far?

I sat in queue for 8 minutes and gave up, but it was 11pm. When I get home today I'll try again, should be able to get one with more Euros on.

I will say that I think the SoDak looks cooler at a glance, the Iowa is huge and the lines are less pretty. But it also goes 33 knots, turns better, and will do 10,500 damage a salvo with the better guns + Macmillan.

Also, it's the first boat I've bought where parts carried over; I didn't have to XP the better radio or radar, just buy them with credits.

Groggy nard posted:

Benson finish report: 1x Turrets are dildos. Definitely not a keeper.

It's not so much it's bad as it is every other tier 6 DD is like twice as good. I do fine in mine provided no other good DDs are around but if a decent Laforey shows up I just spend most of the game running away. I can't wait to get rid of it too.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

You're a fiend, and in retrospect, the Iowa class was a waste of taxpayer dollars that only incompetent Russians considered a threat.

Speaking of, I bought a 1800 gold crew pack and only got John Clarkson out of the deal. Excellented Macmillan though.

Better get to work on that Shimakaze. Also that's not a bad deal, I think one of my two 18000 packs that day didn't even give me a single 3 star. Macmillian is worth 1800 at least.

This game really needs to throw me a fuckin' Lutjens already so I can see how broken +18/33% damage would be.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Feb 9, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Double post but after looking at the X BBs I see why they didn't go with the Montana; they'd have to nerf the guns compared to the Iowa considerably to account for that entire extra turret. If they stayed the same and you just added 3 more guns it'd do like 4000 more damage a shot than either of the other two.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Mazz posted:

Double post but after looking at the X BBs I see why they didn't go with the Montana; they'd have to nerf the guns compared to the Iowa considerably to account for that entire extra turret. If they stayed the same and you just added 3 more guns it'd do like 4000 more damage a shot than either of the other two.

That would explain things, yeah. What's your choice for best tier X BB? I'm indecisive on whether I should grind up the Japanese line or the American line.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
From what I saw the Illinois does the most damage per minute at 24.5k but the lowest range at at 6150m. It also has the lowest damage per shot at 1070 but a ROF of 2.55. The H41 is a little lower at 24k but 1270 a shot, and the best range of the three, ~6700. The Yamato only does like 21k a minute because of the 6 guns and low ROF but they do 2174 a shot being 20", and reach to 6400. Their HP differences are negilible (like 1000, which isn't much given secondaries can do like 3k on no pens by then)and I don't remember speed right now.

On pure numbers the H41 seems to be the best because it's not weakest in any specific area but it's hard to know without playing any of them.

I would probably say the US since I've found them all good to very good. The Jap tree seems mediocre besides the Ise and Tosa+, and the Germans before the Scharn. At the same time though, they all seem to do well given a good BB game and the right crews so it's personal preference more than anything. The best BB in the world can't help you if you have poo poo spotting. (Okay not true if you can dunk the destroyer yourself before you take too much damage, but I wouldn't count on that)

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 9, 2016

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
How did they balance Monty in WoWs? In Navyfield it was also Montanta, H44, and Super Yamato at the end of the respective nations I believe.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Panfilo posted:

How did they balance Monty in WoWs? In Navyfield it was also Montanta, H44, and Super Yamato at the end of the respective nations I believe.

In WoWS the Montana is balanced by having poo poo armor, gun penetration, and accuracy (because every US battleship has the same accuracy, and every Japanese battleship has the same accuracy, and all US battleships are less accurate), so Yamatos can hit it for full damage while it does nothing in return. It doesn't get the 16" super heavy shells. I do not think WoWS made much of an attempt to balance the tier 10 battleships. Or anything else, really.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 9, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This new 'do 100,000 damage for a shitload of stuff' event pleases me greatly.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Night10194 posted:

This new 'do 100,000 damage for a shitload of stuff' event pleases me greatly.

Just finished mine in style.

This is the best worstbote I have ever captained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Groggy nard posted:

Just finished mine in style.

This is the best worstbote I have ever captained.

I followed your example and did the same. Mazz had never seen a Connecticut before. His reaction to my Shitbote was hilarious.

• Locked thread