Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

rabidsquid posted:

Sorry my dude, I guess you are only interested in a different type where you argue with Sigma-X about something.

I haven't followed the thread too long but that seems to rank slightly above reading McMagic posts in terms of spending time productively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

checkplease posted:

Probably good to let a few more tournaments happen before declaring modern broken.

I am still salty that they have systematically been removing combo from Modern so I am probably more prone to feeling doom and gloom about it.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
That's fair. I feel they need to bring back the combos also.

So the mtgo pro tour gauntlet. Is that just going to be the top 8 decks, cause if so... yeah, not much variety.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

LSV wrote a deck tech: http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/teamcfb-deck-tech-modern-eldrazi/

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
I went 7-2 for 29th place out of 400. Will type stuff up tomorrow.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

checkplease posted:

Guess those numbers fit the theme of oath at least, just like last year's had several abzan deck fitting the theme of khans (though yeah that's just them renaming decks).

I suppose control could use better options, as the whole pro tour really was just majority aggro with some combo. General answers instead of specific hate seems like its really needed.

My true hope is that SOI will enable some broken madness deck though.

UG Madness making a comeback, you heard it here first.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

checkplease posted:

Probably good to let a few more tournaments happen before declaring modern broken.

People keep saying this but nobody is explaining what the effective hate is other than buying cards to play Lantern Prison.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Just play Bogles and go underneath them by Playing Well and Getting Rewarded with perfect 7s and top decks

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

People keep saying this but nobody is explaining what the effective hate is other than buying cards to play Lantern Prison.
Wrath of God effects actually seem very good against it.

e: Living End also seems good, although you'll need to pack Ingot Chewers

e2: oh right relics, lol

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Eye is great, because it is basically my favorite card ever (Heartless Summoning), in land form, without drawback, and with a repeated tutor attached.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I normally play the Eldrazi deck with colors but I've found there's a few variants I'm toying with:

All Colorless (PT Version) - this is a superfast version with very little interactivity. Vulnerable to land/hand disruption & board wipes.
Colorless/Black/White - this version is processor-heavy, running RIPs main, Blight Herders, Oblivion Sowers, etc. "Big Mana" version that's most comparable to Tron. Vulnerable to land/hand disruption, low-to-the-ground aggro decks (elves, merfolk, infect, affinity)
Colorless/Black - Runs IoK, Duress, targeted removal, with the midrange eldrazi. This version is like Jund, but better. Vulnerable to aggro decks (elves, merfolk, affinity), but can do quite a bit more without the 2-mana lands.

I've been testing all 3 against the gauntlet of typical decks (but not against the stuff showing up this weekend). The versions that run colors really want to be running board wipes to circumvent the aggro strats - much akin to Tron.

The maindeck Chalices are a super metagame-y call that leaves you with some dead cards provided the game goes longer (SSG and Chalice on turns 4+ aren't going to win you the game), basically only good in your opener. Clearly the deck is good, but based largely on the fact not a lot of people were ready for it this weekend. The UR version in particular came out of nowhere so I'm really interested in seeing how the Mono-C and UR Versions play against each other.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

rabidsquid posted:

Just play Bogles and go underneath them by Playing Well and Getting Rewarded with perfect 7s and top decks

Until Bogles starts playing ways to get around Chalice on 1, its pretty screwed. Wizards print Tribute to the Wild in Standard, please.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I could see SSG eating a ban, if anything.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Balon posted:

It should have been banned already.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
So T2 4/4 Thought-Knot is bad, but T1 thoughtsieze into t2 3/4 Goyf is Cool and Good.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Archenteron posted:

So T2 4/4 Thought-Knot is bad, but T1 thoughtsieze into t2 3/4 Goyf is Cool and Good.

It's a little better as 1 card than 2, yes.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Archenteron posted:

Hey guys why is this 2 card combo fair but the one card combo that does the same thing not?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Hopefully this is a wake up call to the Magic community to play the best format, Pauper

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Balon posted:

Not remotely. It can be used as part of a T2 Reality Smasher, but there are two other cards involved that are far more degenerate.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

suicidesteve posted:

Hey guys why is this 2 card combo fair but the one card combo that does the same thing not?

It's more like a 3-card combo, though. You require TWO SPECIFIC LANDS and a Creature. Thoughtsieze into Goyf is basically 2 cards and any land to get - the thing that makes it more fair is that it costs between 2 and 8 life for Jund to pull of.

Chamale posted:

Not remotely. It can be used as part of a T2 Reality Smasher, but there are two other cards involved that are far more degenerate.

More based on the enabling of Chalice for 1 on turn 1 before the other player gets to do anything.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

AgentSythe posted:

Hopefully this is a wake up call to the Magic community to play the best format, Pauper

Nobody listens when I say this.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

AgentSythe posted:

Nah ensaring bridge burn decks with all prowess creature and land hate will be the new thing.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Chamale posted:

If Chrome Mox is bannable I don't get why SSG is legal.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Nah ensaring bridge burn decks with all prowess creature and land hate will be the new thing.

i would accept the triumphant return of Blink Riders

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Chamale posted:

Eye of Ugin is so busted that I wonder if the Eldrazi decks should consider running Serum Powder, like the Bazaar of Baghdad decks in Vintage.

No because unlike bazaar decks (which aside from uba mask shops is only dredge afaik) you're likely to be -1 in a deck that cares about resources in hand after your "free" mulligan not to mention starting with extra cards exiled is awful for the mirror.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Balon posted:

More based on the enabling of Chalice for 1 on turn 1 before the other player gets to do anything.
This has been possible in Modern since Chalice started existing and it hasn't been an issue until now.

Angry Grimace posted:

If Chrome Mox is bannable I don't get why SSG is legal.
Because mox lets you play above curve for as many land drops/spells as you have in hand while SSG lets you play above curve once.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Mikujin posted:

This has been possible in Modern since Chalice started existing and it hasn't been an issue until now.

Because mox lets you play above curve for as many land drops/spells as you have in hand while SSG lets you play above curve once.

Chrome Mox is banned in modern because it allows for plays like this.

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

"Through all the terrors we face, I hold on to the memory of the world before the Eldrazi came. I'd like to see that world again."

-Affa Protector, Oath of the Gatewatch (2016)

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Instead of emergency bans, Wizards should do emergency new cards :v:

Fire of the Gatewatch WUGR
Sorcery
Each player who controls an Eldrazi permanent or a land named Eye of Ugin loses the game.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Balon posted:

Chrome Mox is banned in modern because it allows for plays like this.
Chalice for 1 on T1 isn't even close to busted, if that's what you're implying.

If you're referencing the Eldrazi nonsense then carry on.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's pretty busted in a field where Burn, Affinity and Infect are the most played decks.

whateverfor
Jul 23, 2007
fuck you sped
I think people are understating how good Eldrazi was this tournament. There were only 32 people who showed up with Eldrazi. Six made top 8, and another 7 made top 23 according to SaffronOlive looking at the standings.

That's 13 of the top 23 coming from only 32 entries, and some of those guys were probably playing the crappy midrange version of the deck.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

whateverfor posted:

I think people are understating how good Eldrazi was this tournament. There were only 32 people who showed up with Eldrazi. Six made top 8, and another 7 made top 23 according to SaffronOlive looking at the standings.

That's 13 of the top 23 coming from only 32 entries, and some of those guys were probably playing the crappy midrange version of the deck.

I'm curious what happens if you adjust for draft. I know that the UR eldrazi deck apparently managed a 95% winrate D1, and I think the CFB colorless version got like 75% or something

also probably worth adjusting for the eldrazi vs eldrazi matches

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

AgentSythe posted:

Pauper is great and Affinity can actually be really neato where you might get killed by Fling-Atog which always tickles me for some reason

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

suicidesteve posted:

Nobody listens when I say this.

Gotta admit, pauper is pretty fun. Are there any eldrazi papuper decks with all the new stuff? Guess no fast mana, but maybe something with scions or all the colorless stuff?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Zoness posted:

(which aside from uba mask shops is only dredge afaik)

There is also, of course, Rat Squeeze

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

checkplease posted:

Gotta admit, pauper is pretty fun. Are there any eldrazi papuper decks with all the new stuff? Guess no fast mana, but maybe something with scions or all the colorless stuff?

Ulamog's Crusher used to be one of the two kill conditions in blue red Post :v:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I find it interesting that relatively few people were on the Eldrazi deck. We act as if it was always obviously going to be overpowered now but clearly a lot of pros failed to identify it as a factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Eh predictions are almost totally useless anyway. bizmarkiedesade and I stumbled on the mono blue devotion list that tore up that PT and both wrote it off rear end "probably dumb." I will never forget making up a list very very close to that 75 and deciding it was too cute, because it shows how hard this stuff is. It takes entire pro teams countless hours of testing against other meta decks.

• Locked thread