Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
why would i want to go to canada?

"hmmmm. i'd like to visit a foreign land, but not TOO foreign. in fact, i pretty much just want to visit a US city that i need a passport to get to for some reason. canada it is!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Space-Pope posted:

"hmmmm. i'd like to visit a foreign land, but not TOO foreign. in fact, i pretty much just want to visit a US city that i need a passport to get to for some reason. canada it is!"

I would like to visit Canada some day.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

it's just good game design

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Citizen Tayne posted:

I would like to visit Canada some day.

it's nice here and there's plenty of cool poo poo

Space-Pope posted:

"i've never left america and am proud of this"

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
montreal has more strip clubs per capita than any city in the US

Apr 7, 2003

Beast of Bourbon posted:

montreal has more strip clubs per capita than any city in the US

This might be the worst statistic to pass about Montreal.

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Improbable Lobster posted:

"i've never left america and am proud of this"
where did i say this?

i just mean that, if i were leaving america, it would be to a place that isn't 99% america

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

Space-Pope posted:

the hockey hall of fame is in canada, so I have to go to America jr to see the Stanley cup in its natural habitat.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Space-Pope posted:

where did i say this?

i just mean that, if i were leaving america, it would be to a place that isn't 99% america

"i know literally nothing about canada but as an american i can judge it beneath me"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Space-Pope posted:

this is true of a lot of cities in canada, yeah. toronto is just new york city * 0.7 and cleaner, for instance. (countdown to some stuffed-head new yorker coming in to crow about how NO city is ANYTHING like NYC)

montreal is not like anything you'll find in the USA. new orleans is the nearest analogy but only because it's french, has good food, and is bizarre. in every other way it's nothing like new orleans either. there is no voodoo in montreal and not that many black people. and the tourists are far better at containing their bodily fluids.

Citizen Tayne posted:

This might be the worst statistic to pass about Montreal.

montreal's signature dish is a smoked meat that's like pastrami, but better. eat it with mustard or on a sandwich or on top of poutine.

montreal bagels are unique to that city but are also the best bagels in the world, and the only ones actually worth consuming.

montreal is architecturally known for its style of strange three-story walk-ups with wrought-iron stairs that are both elegant and conducive to community socialization.

montreal only finished paying off the 1976 olympics in like 2014.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
growing up on the border with canada i went over a lot and it's cool i guess. i don't really think of it as a foreign country more of like a 51st state.

go blue jays

Apr 7, 2003

"i know literally nothing about canada but as an american i can judge it beneath me"

I really like Canada, but if you think it's culturally distinct from mainland USA you're out of your mind.

Toronto is closer to New York than SF is, culturally.

Apr 7, 2003

Beast of Bourbon posted:

growing up on the border with canada i went over a lot and it's cool i guess. i don't really think of it as a foreign country more of like a 51st state.

go blue jays

The Blue Jays are notable for having a stadium that looks like 1984's Veteran's Stadium.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Citizen Tayne posted:

I really like Canada, but if you think it's culturally distinct from mainland USA you're out of your mind.

Toronto is closer to New York than SF is, culturally.

toronto isn't very culturally representative of canada

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

The Blue Jays are notable for having a stadium that looks like 1984's Veteran's Stadium.

the Skydome Rogers Centre was the first stadium in the world with a retractable motorized roof. it also supports both baseball AND football, because no one in Canada really cares about either one.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
i like toronto but seriously gently caress toronto. go to any other decent canadian city and you get a much more distinct experience.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
vancouver is culturally the pacific northwest so thats cool with me

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-02-05-the-fallout-fan-made-to-destroy-his-records-for-a-refund

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
when we were all 17 we went to ottawa for our AP Gov't & Politics class to meet some canadian high school class and we went to a session of parliament and got throw out because the aspergers kid in our class would not stop loudly telling himself robert's rules of order.

then we went across the border and found out that canadian strippers are WHORES!

Apr 7, 2003

toronto isn't very culturally representative of canada

Cool fact, New York isn't very culturally representative of the USA either lol

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
if only this would happen to every copy of anything related to bethesda's collected abortions

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Citizen Tayne posted:

Cool fact, New York isn't very culturally representative of the USA either lol
what even would be cultural representative of the usa? jefferson city?

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

kalstrams posted:

nothing. the us is too big and "diverse" (lol) to be even close to being represented by a single city/area

Apr 7, 2003

The US is culturally at least six different countries.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

kalstrams posted:

chicago, because their police have gitmo black sites

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Of the Canadians I know, those from Vancouver seem to be the most americanly proud of their city and Canada in general.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

When people from Vancouver skull a beer they yell Canada at the end.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Vancouver burned down their own city when their sports team didn't win, just like real Americans.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

craisins posted:

nothing. the us is too big and "diverse" (lol) to be even close to being represented by a single city/area
yah i get that

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Of the Canadians I know, those from Vancouver seem to be the most americanly proud of their city and Canada in general.
coincidentally, vancouver is the most expensive and criminal city of canada, as far as ive read

Apr 7, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Vancouver burned down their own city when their sports team didn't win, just like real Americans.

This has never happened in Pittsburgh, because we always win.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
nyc is pretty great and American as heck but it's hardly representative mostly because it's so large and diverse. wouldn't want to live there though

Apr 7, 2003

uncurable mlady posted:

nyc is pretty great and American as heck but it's hardly representative mostly because it's so large and diverse. wouldn't want to live there though

The best "insult" (compliment) I ever received is when I was at a Penguins game. A guy I was bullshitting with asked me where I was from and how long I've lived in Pittsburgh and said, "You've been here 15 years and you still sound like you're from New Jersey."

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

this is true of a lot of cities in canada, yeah. toronto is just new york city * 0.7 and cleaner, for instance. (countdown to some stuffed-head new yorker coming in to crow about how NO city is ANYTHING like NYC)

no poo poo it's cleaner, when you stuff less than a third of the people in a city a third bigger, it might be a bit cleaner

and thats not even accounting for staten island which is literally a giant garbage dump

Apr 7, 2003

ayn rand hand job posted:

no poo poo it's cleaner, when you stuff less than a third of the people in a city a third bigger, it might be a bit cleaner

and thats not even accounting for staten island which is literally a giant garbage dump

Please go to the microsoft thread and tell me why I should give a gently caress about nosql. tia.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i lived in nyc for most of my adult life

it sucked

Apr 7, 2003

Al! posted:

i lived in nyc for most of my adult life

it sucked

I don't think you're following this forum properly.

You're supposed to tell me why I should give a gently caress about nosql.

Please report to the Microsoft Thread with a reasoned explanation. TIA.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Citizen Tayne posted:

I don't think you're following this forum properly.

You're supposed to tell me why I should give a gently caress about nosql.

Please report to the Microsoft Thread with a reasoned explanation. TIA.
why should it be yoursql and not oursql?

Apr 7, 2003

kalstrams posted:

why should it be yoursql and not oursql?

yeah, gently caress you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

the real reason is that its overly precious indie game twaddle

• Locked thread