Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Djeser posted:

See that sort of humor doesn't grab me because I don't know any of the references. It's like one of Lemon's early 90's hip hop jokes stretched out over an entire podcast without the 'and that was a joke for no one' punchline

Why does no one make ridiculous biographies of barely-known folk bands :sigh:

you've never in your entire life heard a single Metallica song?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I liked the Anthony Kiedis autobiography because they just ripped into how bad RHCP's lyrics are for an hour.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

I liked the Anthony Kiedis autobiography because they just ripped into how bad RHCP's lyrics are for an hour.

That, and the goofy imitations. I relisten to that one way more than I should.

Also I have no idea how you can not like the goofy jingles.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
A! (Letters!) B! (Letters!) C! (Letters!) D! (Letters!) E! (Letters!) F! (Letters!) G! (Letters!) Got a lotta letters.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Alaois posted:

you've never in your entire life heard a single Metallica song?

Nope. My parents had weird taste in music and I kind of followed their lead.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Djeser posted:

Nope. My parents had weird taste in music and I kind of followed their lead.
The "Hetfield voice" was part of their meathead shark jump in the '90s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvF9PAxe5Ng

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 3, 2016

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The "Hetfield voice" was part of their meathead shark jump in the '90s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvF9PAxe5Ng

GIMME FUE
GIMME FAI
GIMME JABUJABAZAH

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

GIMME FUE
GIMME FAI
GIMME JABUJABAZAH

UWUH

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
WHO WAWNS TAH LICK A RED PANDA'S BUTTHOOOWOOOLE-AH

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

very few animals are intended to have red buttholes, that panda should see a doctor.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

What's black and white and red all HI I'M MIHU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

WHO WAWNS TAH LICK A RED PANDA'S BUTTHOOOWOOOLE-AH

I bet you could find that red panda at the FREE PETTING ZOO-AH

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

chris collision mentioned it in the Necroscope episode of IDEOTV and it's relevant to the current discussion so gently caress it

http://jameshetfieldsoundboard.com/

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Lemon made a thing that involves WikiHow.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Also this other thing.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
I absolutely lost my poo poo at 'backy

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Ah, I missed Kumquat's crazy voice

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i just bought a 5 pound bag of gender tenders at the costco.

e: i like how kumquat stars with YES HELLO even when being directly addressed.

coolskull fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Feb 6, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i just bought a 5 pound bag of gender tenders at the costco.

e: i like how kumquat stars with YES HELLO even when being directly addressed.

"Yes hello" is burned into my brain.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

The Vosgian Beast posted:

No I like it, I just think it has some structure that doesn't need to be there to facilitate a good conversation.

I like the structure and the different bits, but the way they constantly speed up or drop interesting conversations in the name of sticking to a completely arbitrary schedule is annoying. You're a podcast, the whole strength of the medium is that you can relax and shoot the poo poo and not have to worry about fitting in ad breaks and having an exact amount of time fill.

BootsRaingear
Sep 10, 2013

I can't grow a beard.

Sleeveless posted:

shoot the poo poo

Nope.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Yeah there are podcasts I go to specifically for "shoot the poo poo" type conversations and interactions, if every podcast were like that it'd be the absolute loving worst thing in existence

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Sleeveless posted:

I like the structure and the different bits, but the way they constantly speed up or drop interesting conversations in the name of sticking to a completely arbitrary schedule is annoying. You're a podcast, the whole strength of the medium is that you can relax and shoot the poo poo and not have to worry about fitting in ad breaks and having an exact amount of time fill.

This is funny because most of the really good podcasts avoid this, are really well structured, and cut out the boring and unnecessary chaff.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

watho posted:

This is funny because most of the really good podcasts avoid this, are really well structured, and cut out the boring and unnecessary chaff.

Being left wanting more is better than the alternative, but it doesn't make it any better when they just cut off an interesting or entertaining bit.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
I don't really listen to IDEOTV, partly because I think it delves a little too much into the involved subcultures without catering enough to those outside of it (I think my last one was Kitchen Confidential, which is just a wash for anyone not into cooking and food, and the same sort of thing goes for most any biography they read).

But I have been listening to Abject Suffering recently, which is Duckfeed's podcast about bad video games. And I think they could really use more of a structure, like IDEOTV's, because basically the entire second half of any given episode is going to be about subjects entirely unrelated to the game. And there's place for that, sure, but I'm really just interested in listening to them dissect some random lovely game, I don't actually care about their stories about laser tag or whatever.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sleeveless posted:

Being left wanting more is better than the alternative, but it doesn't make it any better when they just cut off an interesting or entertaining bit.

Not everybody likes the same parts of a show, so the structure is there to replace the arbitrary nature of a free-form debate with a predictable format that will hopefully bring something interesting to every listener every week even if some people will feel relatively disappointed from time to time.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Cleretic posted:

I don't really listen to IDEOTV, partly because I think it delves a little too much into the involved subcultures without catering enough to those outside of it (I think my last one was Kitchen Confidential, which is just a wash for anyone not into cooking and food, and the same sort of thing goes for most any biography they read).

But I have been listening to Abject Suffering recently, which is Duckfeed's podcast about bad video games. And I think they could really use more of a structure, like IDEOTV's, because basically the entire second half of any given episode is going to be about subjects entirely unrelated to the game. And there's place for that, sure, but I'm really just interested in listening to them dissect some random lovely game, I don't actually care about their stories about laser tag or whatever.

I like both IDEOTV and Abject Suffering both, but I know that AS is kind of the podcast that they use to decompress after being more structured in other podcasts, and they've said multiple times it's only nominally about the bad games because they only have to play it for an hour.

I don't mind the asides about stuff like the time they went to see amateur wrestling or laser tag, as those were still pretty interesting , even if they weren't solely bad games stuff. The only time I've gotten upset at their rambling in AS was when for some game they spent literally fifteen minutes at the start of the episode being unsure whether they were racist for not liking rap enough.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Cleretic posted:

I know I'm slightly abnormal in this both because generally knowing bits of lots of sub cultures and in beings able to pick up jargon quickly but I never get this argument (I know this is getting a bit 'I don't have this problem bye' but still) even disregarding that thertese still enough context for a standard person to get the gist of it and there entertainment value to be found even in the utter mystery if you cannot get the context.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
For example, my entire knowledge of wrestling comes from derails in podcasts and YouTube videos, but I really enjoyed the latest IDEOTV.

I'm skinny, goodbye!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

Rumda posted:

I know I'm slightly abnormal in this both because generally knowing bits of lots of sub cultures and in beings able to pick up jargon quickly but I never get this argument (I know this is getting a bit 'I don't have this problem bye' but still) even disregarding that thertese still enough context for a standard person to get the gist of it and there entertainment value to be found even in the utter mystery if you cannot get the context.

It's not 'getting lost in the jargon' or anything like that, it's more that sometimes we delve into 'if you aren't familiar with this subculture or type of person, there is just nothing for you'. That might just be me, and it might just be the occasional episode (again, the last one I listened to was Kitchen Confidential), but that's my experience.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The smokers episode of F-Plus really hit home with me. I had just stumbled from my own smoking cessation this week. Listening to the 27 year old addict tourist made my blood boil and laugh at the same time. That guy seriously does not know whats coming to him when he decides to quit.

Lemon and Montrath inspired me to get back on the wagon. Thanks F-Plus. Addiction and quitting smoking sucks. Hard.

Any other smokers have words to say about this episode?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

KirbyKhan posted:

The smokers episode of F-Plus really hit home with me. I had just stumbled from my own smoking cessation this week. Listening to the 27 year old addict tourist made my blood boil and laugh at the same time. That guy seriously does not know whats coming to him when he decides to quit.

Lemon and Montrath inspired me to get back on the wagon. Thanks F-Plus. Addiction and quitting smoking sucks. Hard.

Any other smokers have words to say about this episode?

I quit recently too! I've been off 2 months so far. I smoked half a pack a day and most of my pals would be on maybe a pack a day. I don't think we've ever had a discussion about how great smoking is, in fact the only time it's the topic of conversation is when someone is quitting.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
This was one of the few episodes where I was really glad when the discussion turned fetishy, because the whole "I wanna gently caress up my body for fun!" thing was weirding me out. At least I can fathom the reasoning behind "I wanna gently caress up my body for BONERS!"

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Djeser posted:

The only time I've gotten upset at their rambling in AS was when for some game they spent literally fifteen minutes at the start of the episode being unsure whether they were racist for not liking rap enough.

I like Gary and Cole and I sorta hate to use this phrase but I've noticed they really delve into some SJW-ish stuff sometimes and it's kind of eye-rolling how overly progressive they want to act about some topics.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

you are racist if you don't like rap enough though

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Tracula posted:

I like Gary and Cole and I sorta hate to use this phrase but I've noticed they really delve into some SJW-ish stuff sometimes and it's kind of eye-rolling how overly progressive they want to act about some topics.

"they want to act"

you sure they don't want to be?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Gary and Cole are good, funny guys who also happen to be overly empathetic dorks.

Their hearts are just too big.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

dijon du jour posted:

This was one of the few episodes where I was really glad when the discussion turned fetishy, because the whole "I wanna gently caress up my body for fun!" thing was weirding me out. At least I can fathom the reasoning behind "I wanna gently caress up my body for BONERS!"

I got halfway through and took a break, and I think this is why. Both this and being an ex-smoker made this episode weirdly hard to digest, and I didn't even have problems with the foot fetish episode.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Invisible Ted posted:

I got halfway through and took a break, and I think this is why. Both this and being an ex-smoker made this episode weirdly hard to digest, and I didn't even have problems with the foot fetish episode.

They took this activity that I did all my adult life. I have fantastic memories that I accociate with smoking and these guys are making it too wierd.

I now understand why Portax hates pokemon episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
This episode was weird because 1) I'm also an ex-smoker and 2) I actually started to make a doc about this about a year back- not the fetishy stuff but the weird dudes who want to be addicted (I even included that same post) and who drastically over-romanticize smoking. I ended up not submitting it because I wasn't sure it was worth an episode. I was wrong.

Even when I was still smoking, I always thought the smokers who claimed that they loved smoking every single cigarette and got so much joy from it were full of poo poo and there was a bit of a the-lady-doth-protesteth-too-much thing going on that was just their addiction talking. Like, they were trying to justify doing this dumb gross thing by acting like they loved it sooooo much when, seriously, probably only one or two cigarettes a day is actually enjoyable when you've been smoking a pack a day for years. Most of the times you smoke in a day are just due to habit and addiction; you're not, like, savoring every drag.