Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

AradoBalanga posted:

Yes. And guess what? They do it all over again for DKC3's GBA port.
Nintendo's made a few mistakes before, but it feels like they've never repeated them except for the DKC GBA ports. And DKC3 was already the weakest of the SNES games before they outsourced it to China or wherever.

Also, the chicken boss is named Col. Cluck, if his Smash Bros. Wii U trophy isn't lying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
Colonel Cluck? That's almost as bad as the bird boss's name, Stu.

Also, if the Tiki bosses are instruments, what's the very first guy supposed to be? (The one who hypnotizes that yellow dinosaur Mugly)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Digital Jello posted:

Also, if the Tiki bosses are instruments, what's the very first guy supposed to be? (The one who hypnotizes that yellow dinosaur Mugly)

A karimba?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Digital Jello posted:

Forgive me, I was off by one letter. Its name is Colonel Pluck.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
music madness is so goooood

also ChaosArgate please don't take this the wrong way but your deaths are always really funny

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The factory is obviously the heart of the Kong arms industry. The tikis took it over and retooled it for peaceful purposes, but after DK:s rampage you can bet that it's back to manufacturing coconut guns by the truckload.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh poo poo, DK's hosed now.
That's quite the cereal box giveaway right there.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Looper posted:

music madness is so goooood

also ChaosArgate please don't take this the wrong way but your deaths are always really funny

I'm glad someone appreciates them. :v:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Are we gonna see more legitimate deaths in Volcano, or will they continue to be deaths like the ones in Factory? Hopefully both. There is one level in World 8 that I lost a whole lot of lives to.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Y-Hat posted:

That's quite the cereal box giveaway right there.

It's an easy one to cheat; you pick each box up and see which one weighs a few hundred pounds.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Y-Hat posted:

Are we gonna see more legitimate deaths in Volcano, or will they continue to be deaths like the ones in Factory? Hopefully both. There is one level in World 8 that I lost a whole lot of lives to.

I recorded World 8 blind, so little of column A, column B, I guess?

Bruceski posted:

It's an easy one to cheat; you pick each box up and see which one weighs a few hundred pounds.

No need to pick any up, just look for the one at the center of the collapsed shelf of cereal boxes!

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Artix, Chaos, I just want you guys to understand exactly how much I hate you both right now.

It's Super Bowl Sunday, I have no plans, all of my friends are either off on their own football plans or at work, and while I have no interest in the game myself, I'm sitting here bored and with no human contact as a result.

So I started a fresh file of DKC3, because I already did a runthrough of 2 to play along with the thread. I am 100%ing as I go.

So much hate. All of my hate.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

I recorded World 8 blind

:allears:

what?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Derek Barona posted:

So I started a fresh file of DKC3, because I already did a runthrough of 2 to play along with the thread. I am 100%ing as I go.

Nothing could convince me to do what you're doing. I think I've tried playing DKC3 3 or 4 times, but just can't enjoy it enough to see it through.

The only other game that got that much effort in vain was Secret of Mana.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

FeyerbrandX posted:

Nothing could convince me to do what you're doing. I think I've tried playing DKC3 3 or 4 times, but just can't enjoy it enough to see it through.

Already into World 3, still 100%. Most of my rage right now comes from a combination of Kiddy being utter trash, hitboxes, and playing on a keyboard.

Nope, not even on a controller. I'm doing this on ZSNES, so keyboard or nothing.

Seraphroy
Jun 24, 2010

Jesus shit that Steelix is terrifying.

Derek Barona posted:

Already into World 3, still 100%. Most of my rage right now comes from a combination of Kiddy being utter trash, hitboxes, and playing on a keyboard.

Nope, not even on a controller. I'm doing this on ZSNES, so keyboard or nothing.

How's the water skipping feel on a keyboard? I've never tried it myself.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I use ASZX as YXBA, so once you get the feel for it it isn't that bad. (Yes, I play left-handed keyboard, I know.) The trick is L and R. I have them mapped to D and C, I don't remember which, because you don't need them that often but when you do it doesn't matter because you'll be busy dealing with other bullshit. Of course, momentum is a huge issue because Kiddy controls like DK after a heroin episode, and don't even get me started on trying to use the team throw.

Just finished World 3, and I can safely say I forgot just exactly how trash the bosses in this game are. It makes me miss poo poo like Boss Dumb Drum.

Edit: Totally finished the goddamn game to full completion. I think I truly must hate myself to have done that in a single evening.

Derek Barona fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 8, 2016

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: DK Island, Part 1 :siren:

Today, DK begins his conquest of...his own island? I guess that technically makes this self-defense (for once).

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Derek Barona posted:

Artix, Chaos, I just want you guys to understand exactly how much I hate you both right now.

It's Super Bowl Sunday, I have no plans, all of my friends are either off on their own football plans or at work, and while I have no interest in the game myself, I'm sitting here bored and with no human contact as a result.

Not 105%ing?

FeyerbrandX posted:

What about Secret of Mana made you quit?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Ryushikaze posted:

What about Secret of Mana made you quit?

It's very hard to explain. Very simply I didn't enjoy its system. Any further explaination would need me to play it again

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Artix posted:

:siren: DK Island, Part 1 :siren:

Today, DK begins his conquest of...his own island? I guess that technically makes this self-defense (for once).

I love how you guys question the logic of two ships being linked in terms of vertical height, but are okay with DK somehow lifting up the ship he's standing on by tugging on the floorboards. :allears:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
i think aqueduct assault has my favorite theme so far in the game

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

That giant bat got what it deserved. :colbert:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

He was just protecting his home. The Tikis icing him like that was pretty severe. Hopefully once the Tiki-Kong relations thaw up a bit from their current frosty level he can come back in from the cold. Although I will admit that chances of that happening are bleak.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Prav posted:

He was just protecting his home. The Tikis icing him like that was pretty severe. Hopefully once the Tiki-Kong relations thaw up a bit from their current frosty level he can come back in from the cold. Although I will admit that chances of that happening are bleak absolute zero.

Fixed a minor typo.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FeyerbrandX posted:

Fixed a minor typo.

respect the lore, bro

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Ryushikaze posted:

Not 105%ing?

I wasn't THAT bored. That, and I didn't remember the code and didn't feel like looking it up.

So, as for the video. The ice and crumbling effect really makes sense when you consider that DK Island is a tropical island, so all the landmass and architecture and stuff has probably never experienced much in the way of snow or freezing before, and aren't made to take it. Fridge logic, pun intended, goes double when you also realize that despite the whole place being frozen over, it's STILL a tropical island, so all that poo poo is probably slowly thawing off and doing even more structural damage that way.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I was afraid that the frozen giant bat was gonna break free and have another go at DK.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

In an early video you referred to Funky or something as "the last returning character from Returns" and I shook my monitor because the bat TOTALLY counts.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Y-Hat posted:

I was afraid that the frozen giant bat was gonna break free and have another go at DK.

I'm disappointed this didn't happen now. That bat owned and you all can't appreciate a good rocket barrel level. :colbert:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The bat was a cool as hell setpiece and my only complaint about him comes from the end segment where he tracks your movement. It's not an easy section when you're on the rocketbarrel and everything else in rocketbarrel sections is precisely timed and positioned.

That said, if they hadn't gone with the snowball setpiece here I wouldn't have minded a bat-redux.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

The tracking isn't too bad but the G of that level's in that section, which makes it a bit of a pain to get to. :argh:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Artix posted:

I'm disappointed this didn't happen now. That bat owned and you all can't appreciate a good rocket barrel level. :colbert:
Admittedly, avoiding a giant cartoon bat is much less stress-inducing than outrunning a giant advancing wall of spiders.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: The Flying Krock :siren:

I make no apologies about this video. I have always been awful at this boss, doing it live made things worse, and I was already kind of pissed off from Screech's Sprint. Deal with it. :colbert:

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
So for the record, are you planning on getting all of the DK Coins?

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

The race trigger is skipped by flying above Screech at the start. Nothin' to do with taking damage.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I still don't know why they fired a shot at Earthworm Jim of all people.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I actually really love that final boss fight, though I will make an exception for the purple clouds part. It's a really tough final part of a long fight and yeah, it's a lot of stuff to repeat. It's all worth it in the end though because that cutscene of DK uppercutting K. Rool through the ceiling of the helicopter is awesome.

The blue clouds freeze you in place, essentially forcing you to take a hit from K Rool as he passes by. The red clouds actually give you a low gravity effect, making it hard to precisely jump between those three slow cannonballs. I think they both wear off with time but in the blue one's case I think the timer last longer than it would take for K Rool to hit you.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

My only problem with all of this is that they bothered to make alliteration out of everything except "animal buddies" and it makes it look completely out of place. It's not even hard, Rare, just go with "beast buddies" or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Derek Barona posted:

So for the record, are you planning on getting all of the DK Coins?

Not in this game. I think my final total is going to be 30 or 31 (depending on whether or not I bother to get Animal Antics' coin), but they don't get you anything but bragging rights anyway. For DKC3, yes - we're probably doing 103% for that.

FPzero posted:

I actually really love that final boss fight, though I will make an exception for the purple clouds part. It's a really tough final part of a long fight and yeah, it's a lot of stuff to repeat. It's all worth it in the end though because that cutscene of DK uppercutting K. Rool through the ceiling of the helicopter is awesome.

I cannot overstate how much I hate the purple clouds and the final teleporting part. Like, this boss is perfectly fine aside from those two bits, and I can pretty consistently get that far without ever getting hit (when I'm not talking to my friends and trying to explain how all of it works while also being super salty about the previous level :v:), and I STILL blow it on the last hit 2/3 of the time.

Artix fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 10, 2016

• Locked thread