Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
PSA if you kill the Swine Prince/King etc. and run from Wilbur it counts as a win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Node posted:

I've been selling every single trinket that takes away speed because of this. Are there any trinkets that are so good it is worth the -speed?
The vestal healing scroll

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Captain Invictus posted:

The vestal healing scroll

Yeah someone else suggested that too. I just gave it plus a common +healing trinket to a Vestal that has the group heal. I wonder if that will be any good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you find the severed head that adds healing combined with the vestal healing scroll it will do a ridiculous amount of healing, to the point that most enemies outside of repeated pig spearing will have trouble outdamaging the heals

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Note to self: a dedicated healer is a requirement for champion dungeons.

Had a strong start with this team but by this point I had to pull out. Some unlucky crits and two piles of rubble in a row eroded my fighting ability just outside the boss room.

Times like these make me really grateful Red Hook decided to let you flee with your inglorious gains intact as a kinda soft anti-frustration feature. Even when you have to abandon the mission, you still get "Something" for your efforts.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

:eyepop: That is a bag and a half of loot, though!

My Pet Peeve: Streamers giving goofy names to their Darkest Dungeon adventurers.
Double Bonus Negative Points Pet Peeve: Streamers giving their Plague doctors male names when giving goofy names to their Darkest Dungeon adventurers.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Crasical posted:

:eyepop: That is a bag and a half of loot, though!

My Pet Peeve: Streamers giving goofy names to their Darkest Dungeon adventurers.
Double Bonus Negative Points Pet Peeve: Streamers giving their Plague doctors male names when giving goofy names to their Darkest Dungeon adventurers.

Streamers naming their adventurers after subscribers is objectively the worst

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

aw man i just figured out where Wilbur's name's from

(bonus scene of meeting Wilbur, complete with Irrational affliction)

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
You had a broken childhood if a pig named Wilbur doesn't scream out "CHARLOTTE'S WEB" at you.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
wait... there are people who didn't immediatly connect "a pig named Wilbur" with Charlotte's Web? Is this like people who didn't realize that "Luke, I am your father" was a reference to Star Wars?

edit, I mean, people recognized the Leper as a reference to Kingdom of Heaven back in January. Are you telling me that more people are familiar with Kingdom of Heaven than Charlotte's Web?

No you stupid fucks, King Baldwin IV did not wear a golden mask outside of that movie, so it literally has to be inspired by that movie. God. Jesus. Same thing.

Snak fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Feb 7, 2016

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Node posted:

You had a broken childhood if a pig named Wilbur doesn't scream out "CHARLOTTE'S WEB" at you.

lol

Snak posted:

wait... there are people who didn't immediatly connect "a pig named Wilbur" with Charlotte's Web? Is this like people who didn't realize that "Luke, I am your father" was a reference to Star Wars?

lol

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

because i read it when i was really young and haven't revisited it since

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
hello this is the joke, how the gently caress did you miss me?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I'm sorry I'm not trying to make enemies here, can we be friends

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Also the quote is "No. I am your father." not "Luke, I am your father." Holy cow.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Afraid of Audio posted:

hello this is the joke, how the gently caress did you miss me?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjQtzV9IZ0Q

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Bad Seafood can attest from watching me stream, if you tempt fate in a champion warrens run, it will gently caress you over completely

I literally said "let's tempt fate!" after completing a champion warrens run and went to the final room with a fight in it, to encounter a swine slayer, swinetaur champion in the middle, and drummer

Swinetaur refused to get stunned, pig speared me first round, most of my attacks missed, and the slayer crit butcher cut one of my lepers putting him at deaths door with a bleed after entering with full health.

I still won but left with half stress and health on all my dudes, after a run where I pretty much steamrolled through the entire dungeon until that point

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Afraid of Audio posted:

going through all the backer trinkets and haha they did not think these through at all

for instance:

corwyn's cape:

+3% ranged crit
+8% ranged damage
+4 acc ranged
+50% damage while starving at deaths door

the amount of damage you take at DD doesn't matter so enjoy the stat stick

oh man that's really going to upset the pvp meta.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

A.o.D. posted:

oh man that's really going to upset the pvp meta.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

combining the battle mobility of the houndmaster with the defensive capabilities of the jester, this new darkest dungeon DLC brings a new warrior to the hamlet

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Afraid of Audio posted:

the amount of damage you take at DD doesn't matter so enjoy the stat stick
There's one that has three downsides and they're all -CRT While Camping. You know how important it is to crit with your camping skills.

The Kickstarter trinkets are a trainwreck and should definitely not be used before somebody's had a chance to make them semi-reasonable.

EDIT: Weird, I was wondering why 500g Onyx feels like more common loot than 250g Citrines: It is more common. For whatever reason the loot tables are set to make Jade and Onyx more common at lower difficulty levels, even though Citrine is worth less gold. I suspect that might be a mistake since Jade/Onyx/Citrine/Emerald are out of order in the table.

So if you're in an Apprentice or even Veteran dungeon and find gems, you're better off keeping Jades or Onyxes over Citrines and Emeralds because you're more likely to acquire a full stack of those. Likewise you're probably always better off pitching Sapphires/Rubies for raw gold before Champion, because the odds you'll get another to make the stack value 2000 is pretty low.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 7, 2016

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

combining the battle mobility of the houndmaster with the defensive capabilities of the jester, this new darkest dungeon DLC brings a new warrior to the hamlet

Would run four of them in every dungeon, going "AWWWW" every time we attacked.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Imagine the stress heals on a jesterrier

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Zombie Samurai posted:

Imagine the stress heals on a jesterrier

yeah but "Release the Squirrels" is a guaranteed party wipe.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Took on a long champion cove run with a great ancestral prize for completion, found a couple nice rare trinkets, the secret room, and an insane amount of crests, paintings and deeds(can't wait until I don't need this poo poo anymore), but then ran out of torches and food(no fish corpses whatsoever, camped once, and bad hunger procs), ran out of pretty much everything with 2 rooms to go. Paranoid Plague Doctor. Everyone else close to panicking as well. Things not looking good, like I'll need to abandon the run.

Then I ran into The Collector in a hallway, and wound up killing him and his Highwayman summon at the same time, leaving a Man At Arms and Vestal summon. And then I realized...I can cheese this. I can still complete this dungeon, all I need to do is have the plague doctor spam blight to keep the combat trigger going, have the Vestal spam the stun to get the torch back to 100%, and have the lepers spam Withstand until they're down to 0 stress. The MAA and Vestal will never die until I focus them down, the blight will just get healed through.

I never thought I'd be so happy to see the Collector

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

Took on a long champion cove run with a great ancestral prize for completion, found a couple nice rare trinkets, the secret room, and an insane amount of crests, paintings and deeds(can't wait until I don't need this poo poo anymore), but then ran out of torches and food(no fish corpses whatsoever, camped once, and bad hunger procs), ran out of pretty much everything with 2 rooms to go. Paranoid Plague Doctor. Everyone else close to panicking as well. Things not looking good, like I'll need to abandon the run.

Then I ran into The Collector in a hallway, and wound up killing him and his Highwayman summon at the same time, leaving a Man At Arms and Vestal summon. And then I realized...I can cheese this. I can still complete this dungeon, all I need to do is have the plague doctor spam blight to keep the combat trigger going, have the Vestal spam the stun to get the torch back to 100%, and have the lepers spam Withstand until they're down to 0 stress. The MAA and Vestal will never die until I focus them down, the blight will just get healed through.

you know, you could have the vestal and the PD spam heals on themselves and the occasional crits would get their stress down.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

A.o.D. posted:

you know, you could have the vestal and the PD spam heals on themselves and the occasional crits would get their stress down.
My PD doesn't have the healing skill on her in this run because the Vestal easily heals through any bleeds, even Arterial Pinch's 10 damage a turn. Though there was a crit AP that got a bit dicey. But I had begun doing so with the Vestal when the Summoned Vestal went full retard and kept buffing itself/the Summoned Man At Arms instead of healing it, and so the MAA died from blight ticks, because you have to keep dealing some sort of damage or else your dudes freak out about it. And since the MAA tanks for the vestal, anything directed at it would get put on the MAA anyways, and the PD keeps doing her own thing due to the Paranoia affliction. But it's all good, both Lepers are fine, everyone's at full health, it was a welcome encounter

edit: woo! :coolfish:

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 7, 2016

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal
Has the frequency of The Collector showing up been improved at all? I've just had him pop up in 3 of the last 4 dungeons I went through, including the latest being the Brigand 8 Pounder run. Had surprisingly little trouble with the Collector or the boss, but it is slightly alarming he's showing up this often.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's a chance based on having like 60% or more of your inventory full

So if you're preparing for a dungeon at all there's always a chance he'll show up

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I recently got a secret room and it had Dismas' head as a trinket.

That's cool and all except... Dismas is still alive.

Also, look at this thing:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

In all of my runs the Collector winds up being kind of a pushover despite seeming really dangerous. I have two strategies for him that have proven very effective

1) If there's more than one highwayman head, kill at least one of them. Those are the primary damage dealers

2) Otherwise, focus fire on the Collector. He goes down quickly enough

This doesn't really work if you're unable to hit the back row, but I tend to choose party skills so that I'm always able to hit the back row. Stress damage is often more dangerous than HP damage, and being able to quickly knock out a minion that deals Stress damage from the back row is usually a clutch move.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Man is that going to confuse the poor Houndmaster. The dog runs in yelling "WHICH PRANCING FOP LED ME DOWN HERE ANWAY??" +20% Stress Damage, new Quirk: Zoophobia

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

A.o.D. posted:

Also, look at this thing:
black on red has never exactly been the most readable thing in the world

also i feel sorry for anyone who is colorblind and looks at that tag

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Toothache posted:

Has the frequency of The Collector showing up been improved at all? I've just had him pop up in 3 of the last 4 dungeons I went through, including the latest being the Brigand 8 Pounder run. Had surprisingly little trouble with the Collector or the boss, but it is slightly alarming he's showing up this often.

I feel like the frequency of The Collector encounters has gone up while the frequency of Shambler encounters has gone down. I haven't encountered one of those altars in a very long time

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Time to see how rough the darkest dungeon really is. Let's start by making sure we're properly prepared.

Okay, how did it go?

I guess I can live with that. (RIP Dismas, although Reynauld had died like a year ago so w/e.)
The DD doesn't gently caress around, and from what I've heard the second dungeon is even worse. Yikes.

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together
What causes those little titles above your team composition when you're about to embark on a quest? Talking about this:

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
http://darkestdungeon.gamepedia.com/Party_Combos

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

QuarkJets posted:

I feel like the frequency of The Collector encounters has gone up while the frequency of Shambler encounters has gone down. I haven't encountered one of those altars in a very long time
I've been looking for Shamblers in Apprentice/Veteran dungeons for a loving age and haven't found a single drat one in like 12 runs.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

OK some of those are pretty good.

Nuns With Puns
Men at Work
Commedia dell'arte
The Inquisition - thematic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hmm, no loot, just a map, oh well

wait why is it still going

how