Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
Is Glitterhoof always male?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
mods pls change thread title to Crusader Kings II: Conclave: Horsefucker Honeypot

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
I want some kind of max crown law mod that lets you just do whatever you want and execute anyone who says no / has too much land. The council mechanics may make for a much more interesting game, but they really make you sympathize with Henry VIII after awhile.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Well you can abolish council power after removing their powers every 10 years. Good luck getting council support to strip them of their own power and survive the constant wars for restore council power.

Also good to know having your army beat in Jerusalem will result in them shattered retreating to Mali. Why'd they put in this broken EU4 mechanic?

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Norse Horse :rimshot:

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Hadaka Apron posted:

Is Glitterhoof always male?

I hope it's possible for a situation where your council objects to Glitterhoof being chancellor because Glitterhoof is a mare.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Asproigerosis posted:

Well you can abolish council power after removing their powers every 10 years. Good luck getting council support to strip them of their own power and survive the constant wars for restore council power.

What causes the council power laws to reset back to council?

I was slowly progressing setting them to "Ruler" and had just one or two left and then they all reset to Council. Was it because I surrendered in a war to lower (Tribal) Organization?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Infirm no longer seems to be the sooner-than-instant-death sentence it once was. I was mucking around with Offa of Mercia and he became Infirm at age 47. I was praying I'd last out long enough to not need a regency, especially as I'd just switched focus, but he went on to live to 74 before becoming Incapable and another two years after that.

Something odd has come up in that game. I got a claim on Gloucester, but when I tried to press it I was told I had no valid CB.

Things I have noticed:

The reduced opinion swing from the Papal cocksucking mission has made it all but impossible to get a loan, claim or divorce from the Pope.

Alliances seem strong. The King of Denmark came for me and my two Duchies with a prepared invasion force mustering three times my full levies, only to run into half again his own force in allies because I'd got an alliance with the Pictish king and had Sussex and most of Wales as tributaries. Then just to rub it in pretty much everyone in Britain who wasn't already on board volunteered to sign up and suddenly he was outnumbered three to one. This would be a little better if it weren't for the fact that the Pictish king had already dissolved an alliance with me twice in the space of five years - once for not turning up to his war (he called it just as I was wrapping up two wars of my own and my nobles were PO'd) and once for not taking the blame for a dickhead noble. There should really be a malus or outright block on making alliances with someone you think has broken the terms.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Serene Doge Dreadnought has lived a full life.

For a few hundred years, after losing the title at the beginning of the game, House Participazio labored for every province and trading post with the scheming assholes of the other families at their neck every single day. But we were strong, oh yes we were. Always, we had the strongest armies, always the most prosperous trading network. Dreadnought started his reign in war, and his captains grew stronger, his bloodline thicker, his dynasty greater. He is a humble man, but he knows that every kingdom on this earth truly owes their crowns to him. He's easy to get along with, but every step you take is followed by a counterstep, every gaze with a calculation. He has courted kings and emperors, married numerous daughters and nieces away to the most powerful rulers in Europe and beyond.

And now, at last, he is Doge.

Shortly after the last Doge died in an unfortunate accident, he went insane. Who knows why? Perhaps it was the gallons of blood on his hands, both from bravery in combat and countless schemes. That never stopped ol' Dread though, and with a truly masterfully arranged trading agreement with a distant kingdom, he has secured enough funds to ensure that the throne of Venice will stay with the Participazios until the endtimes. Nothing but victory remains.

The last thing we did before we lost the title in the 700s was to rename the grand city of Venezia to Dorktown. Perhaps the insanity started there.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
The only thing that can be seared into one's mind as a tribal-turned-Merchant Republic in Ireland is an undying, eternal hatred of Vikings. GET OUT OF MY ISLAND!! I swear, I am going to fabricate a claim somewhere in Norway and scourge out every single Germanic Pagan on the continent just so I can have some damned peace and quiet!

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

alcaras posted:

What causes the council power laws to reset back to council?

I was slowly progressing setting them to "Ruler" and had just one or two left and then they all reset to Council. Was it because I surrendered in a war to lower (Tribal) Organization?

Yeah you need to be at Max tribal organisation to even be able to change council laws.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

lurksion posted:

Ha! Apparently there's a Glitterhoof exploit to get actual playable horses!

Source: http://imgur.com/a/NNzpn

TLDR: You can nominate horses to bishoprics, and count/duke level bishops spawn in courtiers of their ethnicity (horse) without the restrictive horse trait. Breed those courtiers.
Or just use the console.

Thank you paradox for just calling the culture "horse" btw

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

It is good that the ai finally seems to notice when you don't turn up for their wars and get bitchy about it. I still don't care for how cranky the vassals have gotten. Like with the sons of abraham expansion I could still mostly ignore the pope but get involved in pope related stuff if I wanted at considerable expense but with conclave these fuckers have to be micromanaged. A lot.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It was a real thing, the Bal des Ardents:

"Charles [VI], however, was standing at a distance from the other dancers, near his 15-year-old aunt Joan, Duchess of Berry, who swiftly threw her voluminous skirt over him to protect him from the sparks."

The event was chronicled in uncharacteristic vividness by the Monk of St Denis, who wrote that "four men were burned alive, their flaming genitals dropping to the floor ... releasing a stream of blood"

"Only two dancers survived: the king, thanks to the quick reactions of the Duchess of Berry, and the Sieur de Nantouillet, who jumped into an open vat of wine and remained there until the flames were extinguished. "

e: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bal_des_Ardents#Bal_des_Ardents_and_aftermath

also if you look at the above image, to the left of the scene you can actually see Charles VI safely ensconced in the Duchess of Berry's dress.

The Before Times fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 7, 2016

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It was a real thing, the Bal des Ardents:

Ahaha, those musicians are still playing, they don't give a gently caress.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Mithranderp posted:

"Charles [VI], however, was standing at a distance from the other dancers, near his 15-year-old aunt Joan, Duchess of Berry, who swiftly threw her voluminous skirt over him to protect him from the sparks."

The event was chronicled in uncharacteristic vividness by the Monk of St Denis, who wrote that "four men were burned alive, their flaming genitals dropping to the floor ... releasing a stream of blood"

"Only two dancers survived: the king, thanks to the quick reactions of the Duchess of Berry, and the Sieur de Nantouillet, who jumped into an open vat of wine and remained there until the flames were extinguished. "

e: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bal_des_Ardents#Bal_des_Ardents_and_aftermath

also if you look at the above image, to the left of the scene you can actually see Charles VI safely ensconced in the Duchess of Berry's dress.

what why what was the point to the ceremony?!

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

verbal enema posted:

what why what was the point to the ceremony?!
It was basically a wedding party for a noblewoman, the French court loved to have wild as gently caress parties and the whole "wildman" thing was considered to be an hilarious jape. It may also have been an attempt by Charles' brother to kill him, as some accounts claim that he threw the torch at a dancer, knowing Charles was in the group. Have to watch your back at those noble parties.

EDIT: Also, what do you need to stop vassals declaring their own wars in Conclave now that Crown Authority is dead?

CrazyTolradi fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Feb 7, 2016

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
same planet two different worlds

early medieval/ fuedal noble life must have been something else

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

CrazyTolradi posted:

It was basically a wedding party for a noblewoman, the French court loved to have wild as gently caress parties and the whole "wildman" thing was considered to be an hilarious jape. It may also have been an attempt by Charles' brother to kill him, as some accounts claim that he threw the torch at a dancer, knowing Charles was in the group. Have to watch your back at those noble parties.

EDIT: Also, what do you need to stop vassals declaring their own wars in Conclave now that Crown Authority is dead?

Realm Peace. Can't really keep it on forever, though. Vassals consuming other vassals and becoming powerful enough to be dangerous to you is just a thing you have to deal with now.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

Realm Peace. Can't really keep it on forever, though. Vassals consuming other vassals and becoming powerful enough to be dangerous to you is just a thing you have to deal with now.

I meant in terms of vassals going on external wars, not internal.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

CrazyTolradi posted:

I meant in terms of vassals going on external wars, not internal.

Why stop this? I love strong vassals who expand my realm.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Monopthalmus posted:

I'd be willing to bet this will be in the name of pretty borders.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I figured out that the secret of getting the council to do what you want is to shower them with money until they owe you favors and just cash those in.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I also wish that favors interacted with more systems in the game like forcing your vassals to stay out of factions, guaranteeing viceroyalty grants, and messing with the CoC and stuff like that.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Monopthalmus posted:

More I don't want them picking fights they can't lose, then me having to go recapture some holdings because random shithead duke got dumb.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Mithranderp posted:

And the guy jumping into the barrel of wine on the right.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Why hasn't some gritty fantasy writer copied that scene, huh? :colbert:

That or one of the very entertaining games they had involving cats.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

quote:

Froissart's chronicle of the event places blame directly on Charles' brother, Orléans. He wrote: "And thus the feast and marriage celebrations ended with such great sorrow ... [Charles] and [Isabeau] could do nothing to remedy it. We must accept that it was no fault of theirs but of the duke of Orléans." Orléans' reputation was severely damaged by the event, compounded by an episode a few years earlier in which he was accused of sorcery after hiring an apostate monk to imbue a ring, dagger and sword with demonic magic. The theologian Jean Petit would later testify that Orléans practiced sorcery, and that the fire at the dance represented a failed attempt at regicide made in retaliation for Charles' attack the previous summer.

I hope the next DLC is just a massive pack of flavor events and other enhancements, including an event where you have your ring and dagger imbued with demonic magic :v: martial and/or intrigue at the cost of piety and/or reputation if exposed?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Louis, Duke of Orléans, was later assassinated by John the Fearless, Duke of Burgundy. Louis was so unpopular that John didn't even bother denying that he murdered the king's brother.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Pimpmust posted:

Why hasn't some gritty fantasy writer copied that scene, huh? :colbert:

That or one of the very entertaining games they had involving cats.

People stereotypically believe that the Middle Ages were simultaneously less exciting and more boring than they actually were.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I'm running into an issue playing a republic. I landed my heir with some conquered territory and when my current leader died the entire country switched to Feudal government type. My son is only a count, so I don't know how his own titles could have effected his inheritance. Having played republics a few other times, I've never encountered this issue.

Also: if I was to purposely lose the election he becomes a patrician instead and the entire country remains republican.

Am I missing something or is this a bug?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Dorkopotamis posted:

I'm running into an issue playing a republic. I landed my heir with some conquered territory and when my current leader died the entire country switched to Feudal government type. My son is only a count, so I don't know how his own titles could have effected his inheritance. Having played republics a few other times, I've never encountered this issue.

Also: if I was to purposely lose the election he becomes a patrician instead and the entire country remains republican.

Am I missing something or is this a bug?

I have no idea but paranoia about poo poo like this is why I never land my designated heir. When I do land dynasty members it's always some half retarded cousin.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Landing any male courtiers in your family as a republic is counter-productive.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Volkerball posted:

Landing any male courtiers in your family as a republic is counter-productive.

Not really. It lets them generate prestige more quickly and have more money for when you take over.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dorkopotamis posted:

Not really. It lets them generate prestige more quickly and have more money for when you take over.

And they no longer increase your trade post limit and they acquire lovely traits.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
So I just loaded my Ironman save where I went from Venice to HRE. I take one province and the entire planet forms a coalition against me. Is this working as intended? Because if so that's ridiculous. Is there any way to roll this poo poo back without compromising my save?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Nope that ironman is hosed

And yeah that's intended

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Just wait out the infamy for countries to start leaving the coalition. They're purely defensive so as long as you don't start any more you'll be fine.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I wish you could tie changes in dejure title structure to the timeline, so the Byzantines aren't invading Venice in 867 and so France doesn't inevitably split with Aquitaine in 1066 and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Fuligin posted:

I wish you could tie changes in dejure title structure to the timeline, so the Byzantines aren't invading Venice in 867 and so France doesn't inevitably split with Aquitaine in 1066 and whatnot.

This post confuses me, because you CAN do this in title history (this is why, for example, the Duchy of Aragon is de jure Aquitaine in 769 but de jure Aragon in 1066). Maybe Paradox hasn't bothered to fix Venice and Aquitaine?

• Locked thread