Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

BillmasterCozb posted:

So does the dragon skeleton in Aldia's Keep not re-animate and attack you any more?

Now you have to light all the torches in Aldia's Keep before it attacks. It's worth while because that's how you get the key now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
The Fume Knight was a chump. Went in blind and got him to 20% on my first attempt, pressed the wrong button on my second attempt like an idiot, and I stomped all over him on my third try. Now I just gotta fine Alonne!

:black101:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Man, it's so weird that Pate's Spear is literally the best spear in the game. Why is it so long? Why is the R2 for one hand so good? I'm not complaining, i'm just wondering how they gave the holy grail of spears to a profiteer like Pate.

fake edit: Yorgh's Spear..is that any good?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
He stole it from someone better.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

BillmasterCozb posted:

Man, it's so weird that Pate's Spear is literally the best spear in the game. Why is it so long? Why is the R2 for one hand so good? I'm not complaining, i'm just wondering how they gave the holy grail of spears to a profiteer like Pate.

Yorgh's is really good but it's not really a spear. It has a bunch of twinblade and lance move. Pretty sure Pate's R2s are off lances, as well.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
If anyone is playing PS4 SOTFS this weekend because of the PSN sale and needs help message me on PSN, my username is icyfuzz. As you can see from the image below my character is one of the buffest and strongest you could possible summon, currently around L35.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
FYI shaky-cam footage of the first boss of Dark Souls 3 just came out, so be wary or be tempted.

It got me thinking about first bosses in the series, and I've got a trivia question for y'all

How many different bosses in Dark Souls 2 can be the first boss you fight?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Scrree posted:

FYI shaky-cam footage of the first boss of Dark Souls 3 just came out, so be wary or be tempted.

It got me thinking about first bosses in the series, and I've got a trivia question for y'all

How many different bosses in Dark Souls 2 can be the first boss you fight?

Lessee

Last Giant, Pursuer, Ornstein Old Dragonslayer, Dragonrider..I guess if you grind a poo poo load of souls you can easily get to Scorpioness Najka (Thanks SOTFS). So, five.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Potential First Boss Fights:

Last Giant
Pursuer
Dragonrider
Old Dragonslayer
Rat King (I've heard it's supposedly possible to get down the Majula Pit from the start with some weird shenanigans, also theoretically possible to farm souls for the Cat Ring and some health)
The Rotten (If you skip the Rat area in the pit)
Scorpioness Najka (If you farm souls for the Fragrant Branch from Melentia)

I think that's all? I'm doing this mostly on memory before leaving for work so others can add their own comments or corrections.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
You can fight Royal Rat Authority first.

EDIT: Beaten.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
^^^ That's an interesting question. If we go strictly by places you can reach and toss difficulty aside, we've got Pursuer, Last Giant, Dragon Rider, Old Dragon Slayer, possibly the Rotten (there's no boss between Gutter and Gulch, right?), Najka...I think that's it. There's no way to open the Copse without doing Dragon Rider first, right?

E: Beaten three times over. Leaving this here anyway because hell with it.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Buried alive posted:

^^^ That's an interesting question. If we go strictly by places you can reach and toss difficulty aside, we've got Pursuer, Last Giant, Dragon Rider, Old Dragon Slayer, possibly the Rotten (there's no boss between Gutter and Gulch, right?), Najka...I think that's it. There's no way to open the Copse without doing Dragon Rider first, right?
...I think Licia drops the stone to move the device with, actually.

EDIT: vvvv I dum

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 6, 2016

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
sure, but how are you gonna kill her without killing the dragonrider first?

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
Last Giant
Dragonrider
Old Dragonslayer
Rotten
Royal Rat Vanguard
Najka
Double Dragonriders
Darklurker
Aava

You can fight the pursuer before the last giant but he doesn't have a UI health bar for that fight so he doesn't count as a "boss".

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Last Giant
Dragonrider
Old Dragonslayer
Rotten
Royal Rat Vanguard
Najka
Double Dragonriders
Darklurker
Aava

You can fight the pursuer before the last giant but he doesn't have a UI health bar for that fight so he doesn't count as a "boss".

Eh, I'd count Pursuer as a boss because if you kill him on the roof he doesn't spawn to fight you in his normal arena, but that's semantics.

For anyone who doesn't know, you can get into the Shrine of Winter and Drangleic Castle without fighting a single boss by grinding 1mil souls. Since the Frozen Flower is in early Drangleic Castle, you can go to Eleum Loyce and fight Aava as your first boss.

And since the Black Gulch, Shaded Woods, and Drangleic Castle are all accessible areas, you can find the three Granhdals and face the Darklurker as your first boss.

Thus, there are ten (counting the Pursuer) possible first bosses in Dark Souls 2, and the minimum number of boss fights to beat the game is seven (Double Dragonriders to Nashandra).

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
Then things get a little crazy if you include parry-walking in the un-patched version; which I think is every boss minus Nashandra and the DLC bosses (because they didn't exist yet).

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
At high levels, what are the odds of ever being summoned as a blue cop?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Charles Bukowski posted:

From what I've seen, non-existent. I've seen a few in FOFG, but nobody stays in Way of Blue for long and the covenant is barely used as it is, so I've never even heard of anyone running into one past that point.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Dang. I'm really disappointed with most of the covenants in this game to be honest. Blue ones suck, red cov is a bust. Dunno what I should even be doing. Back to bellfry for fun?

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

I don't want to spoil myself on sotsf any more than I already have, so I just have 2 quick questions. 1: where the hell are more branches? (Found 2, bought 1), 2: what is the key i found early on in DS2 that let me open poo poo, and where is it now? (Can't open the doors in bastille or h. copse)

I like the new enemy placements but I haaaaaate how you can't clear an area on your first go through anymore, which is how I've played DS1, 2, and BB.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Charles Bukowski posted:

Dang. I'm really disappointed with most of the covenants in this game to be honest. Blue ones suck, red cov is a bust. Dunno what I should even be doing. Back to bellfry for fun?

Bell and Dragon are the only covenants where you can get reliable PVP. I play Champion cause otherwise the game's unfun because it's too easy, not to mention I want that seal dammit.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Charles Bukowski posted:

I've been summoned a grand total of two times, both in No-Man's Wharf. Both times I couldn't find the guy who summoned me in time, because that level is kinda big. I've stuck to the belfry covenant, and have been happy with it. It's basically just periodic free PvP with no downsides to losing. As far as I can tell the only place to reliably get Cracked Red Eye Orbs early on are from the whip dudes in front of the bridge leading to the Red covenant. You can farm up quite a bit. I got like 30 of them and I wasn't even farming, I was just failing repeatedly against the chariot boss.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 7, 2016

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Haha why did I ever leave the belfry covenant? 2/2 in like 4 minutes, this is fun again. Free titanite slab!

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I feel like Way of the blue and Champion covenant should work as if the people in it are wearing stacked Red String Rings

Like, both covenants have an increased chance of getting invaded,but WotB would have the blue sentinels to help them (And of course make the WotB rewards worth it), while the Champions still have to rely on their own strength and skill to best the invaders.

Also, give blood covenant the red eye orb, and remove the stupid "Dying in arena takes away from your devotion" poo poo. Bell bros are already perfect, and rat kings are just..why?

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

First time doing the Crown of the Sunken King and it's kicking my rear end. Managed to get into Dragon Sanctum, though I've lost over 100k souls at this point in the spiked floor/ghost dudes area. I'm running from the tower bonfire outside, there has got to be some bonfire that I've missed or this is way more punishing than other areas.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

BillmasterCozb posted:

I feel like Way of the blue and Champion covenant should work as if the people in it are wearing stacked Red String Rings

Like, both covenants have an increased chance of getting invaded,but WotB would have the blue sentinels to help them (And of course make the WotB rewards worth it), while the Champions still have to rely on their own strength and skill to best the invaders.

Also, give blood covenant the red eye orb, and remove the stupid "Dying in arena takes away from your devotion" poo poo. Bell bros are already perfect, and rat kings are just..why?

I thought the Champion Covenant already had increased invasion priority? I know I'm getting invaded out the wazoo, by real people!

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I rolled a new Faith character, my first on Scholar. Made it to the Lost Bastille so far, still using the default mace and chime. Any gear I should keep an eye out for on a faith build? Stat advice would be helpful too

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sharzak posted:

I rolled a new Faith character, my first on Scholar. Made it to the Lost Bastille so far, still using the default mace and chime. Any gear I should keep an eye out for on a faith build? Stat advice would be helpful too

Do Hexes instead, they're at least still useful.

Not a joke post.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
Faith is fine, just don't expect a lot from the lightning spears.

For weapons any of the Heide weapons that drop from the Heide knights in Tower of Flame are good. You can also buy Boltstones to make lightning infused weapons that scale with faith if you join the Blue Sentinels covenant which is right after a boss in Tower of Flame.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Sharzak posted:

You're close to the best chime you'll see for a long time, the priest's chime is just past the ruin sentinels. A guaranteed Heide Spear is not far either, you have to kill a heide knight hanging out in a cell on the way to the lost sinner. If you don't mind the steep dex investment, a lightning Heide Spear is super strong with the base dex to wield it. Otherwise you could farm a heide knight sword, which also does great damage, but, in my opinion, has a weak moveset for a straightsword. You could also pick up the dragonslayer's crescent axe, which I've never used, but looks really stylish and I've heard does decent damage.

Faith and attunement are your main stats, obviously. Otherwise you just want enough str or dex to use whatever lighting infused weapon you like best.

Lightning spears aren't that great, but heavenly thunder is, and if you can get sunlight spear, that's also still quite useful. You just can't kill every single thing with dark orb spam like a hexer can.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Feb 7, 2016

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Phuzun posted:

First time doing the Crown of the Sunken King and it's kicking my rear end. Managed to get into Dragon Sanctum, though I've lost over 100k souls at this point in the spiked floor/ghost dudes area. I'm running from the tower bonfire outside, there has got to be some bonfire that I've missed or this is way more punishing than other areas.

There is in fact a bonfire right in that area with the spike floors and ghost dudes. I forget if it's open by default or if you have to hit some button somewhere though. You have to jump to it and it's in the upper half of the room.

That particular stretch is just really rough. There's also a passage in the lower part of that room that leads to all the armors that are making the ghost dudes ghostly. Just haul rear end and pray.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Obligatum VII posted:

There is in fact a bonfire right in that area with the spike floors and ghost dudes. I forget if it's open by default or if you have to hit some button somewhere though. You have to jump to it and it's in the upper half of the room.

That particular stretch is just really rough. There's also a passage in the lower part of that room that leads to all the armors that are making the ghost dudes ghostly. Just haul rear end and pray.

At the end of the spike area are some stairs that go down a bit and lead to the last ghost/armor guy. Either while on the stairs or at the base, turn 180 looking back up the stairs and to the left, there should be a button on the wall that you gotta shoot.

Now run back up the stairs, take that little ladder to the bridge/columns top where the caster chick was and you should see that the little closed door with a ledge that you could jump on will now be open. Gotta hop across and now you've got a bonfire that's only 30-ish seconds from the jackass NPC invader a few hallways down.

And another 30-seconds of running after that guy is another bonfire by the far wall. So many bonfires nearby each other.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Orv posted:

Do Hexes instead, they're at least still useful.

Not a joke post.

I did int/dark my first play through :/ it didn't seem very strong and at the time everyone was talking about how op faith was. Wrong side of the nerf pendulum I guess.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

You're close to the best chime you'll see for a long time, the priest's chime is just past the ruin sentinels. A guaranteed Heide Spear is not far either, you have to kill a heide knight hanging out in a cell on the way to the lost sinner. If you don't mind the steep dex investment, a lightning Heide Spear is super strong with the base dex to wield it. Otherwise you could farm a heide knight sword, which also does great damage, but, in my opinion, has a weak moveset for a straightsword. You could also pick up the dragonslayer's crescent axe, which I've never used, but looks really stylish and I've heard does decent damage.

Faith and attunement are your main stats, obviously. Otherwise you just want enough str or dex to use whatever lighting infused weapon you like best.

Lightning spears aren't that great, but heavenly thunder is, and if you can get sunlight spear, that's also still quite useful. You just can't kill every single thing with dark orb spam like a hexer can.

Good to know! The dogs and poo poo that swarm you in the Bastille are giving me loving fits right now so a spear sounds like just the ticket.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
I just picked this game up after trying and failing to get my Xbox controller to work properly with the original on Windows 10. I remember getting to a gargoyle boss in the original game, failing miserably to kill it, and quitting for other games - so I have very little Dark Souls experience.

I made a swordsman guy and I'm running with the power stance dual wield business. I read a few things to understand the mechanics of it, and I noticed quite a few mentions that it's a much harder approach to the game. Is it really that bad?

If it helps, this is where I'm at now: I went to the Heide's tower place and killed a shield and spear boss dude and now I'm in the forest area and just got face-hosed by a shield guy on top of a building that flies around. gently caress that guy.

And kinda gently caress this game. I think I hate it as much as I enjoy it.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

amazeballs posted:

I just picked this game up after trying and failing to get my Xbox controller to work properly with the original on Windows 10. I remember getting to a gargoyle boss in the original game, failing miserably to kill it, and quitting for other games - so I have very little Dark Souls experience.

I made a swordsman guy and I'm running with the power stance dual wield business. I read a few things to understand the mechanics of it, and I noticed quite a few mentions that it's a much harder approach to the game. Is it really that bad?

If it helps, this is where I'm at now: I went to the Heide's tower place and killed a shield and spear boss dude and now I'm in the forest area and just got face-hosed by a shield guy on top of a building that flies around. gently caress that guy.

i played as a dual wielder my first time through and had tonnes of fun, once i got over the early game hump and figured out what i was doing. do use a shield if you feel the game is frustrating to the point of being unfun, but it's totally possible for a new player to go without one.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

BillmasterCozb posted:

I could use a spear like that against giant Ornstein since the Winged Spear isn't really that long at all :smith:

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

For a swordsman, start off ignoring both weapons and just two-hand the short sword. That thing is amazing early on. Buy a rapier when you can and upgrade it, and replace the shortsword with the rapier (again, short sword is amazing, but the rapier does more straight DPS than anything else in the game). Once you have enough dex and about one more point of strength, dual wield the rapier and your starting scimitar. Eventually get up to 12 strength for a 100% block shield and use it when you're facing multiple enemies that attack quickly or with long reach, or against single enemies that are very hard to dodge. Sometimes you'll face things move quickly or jump about and are hard to hit with the rapier, but against which you'll want a shield. In that case, switch the rapier and scimitar and use the scimitar with a shield, since it's really good at hitting quick enemies. That will be a very powerful and versatile dual wield build. Dual wield is quite good, but not all the time and you should be ready to change your loadout when you're struggling.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

amazeballs posted:

I'm trying to power stance some crazy powerful INT-friendly swords against Sir Alonne right now. It's going not so well. Having very little stamina means every mistake is 80% of my health bar gone--but that's a personal problem.

As for the love/hate relationship, I'm totally there with you. I have played WAY TOO MUCH of this game in the past 1.5-2 months now, but some of the quicks don't sit well with me.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Powerstance is great with maces. There aren't many things that won't be dead after the L1-L2 combo with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

amazeballs posted:

I think they are just saying that the game is a lot harder without a shield. Which is true I guess, but I never felt the need to rely on them