Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Im sorry, but spoony is figuratively dead. You have to accept this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

At least when Homestar Runner died they spared us the indignity of lingering around for years without actually producing anything new.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The crazy thing is that Homestar isn't even dead. Just on hiatus as they figure out how they'll replace the dead Flash.

EDIT: \/ Yes, the hiatus I'm talking about is the one that's lasted the last couple months. They're working on revamping the whole site.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 6, 2016

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

DStecks posted:

At least when Homestar Runner died they spared us the indignity of lingering around for years without actually producing anything new.

Mokinokaro posted:

The crazy thing is that Homestar isn't even dead. Just on hiatus as they figure out how they'll replace the dead Flash.

Did you not notice their resurrection last year? They've been releasing the odd video for several months now.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Personally, I like Counter Monkey more than most of the "real" videos that Spoony is supposed to do.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Gyges posted:

Personally, I like Counter Monkey more than most of the "real" videos that Spoony is supposed to do.

I like them too but I feel like the stories/comments/advice get less funny/insightful as the series goes along. Don't you think that?

Tired Moritz posted:

Yes, I guess so. :(

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

I like them too but I feel like the stories/comments/advice get less funny/insightful as the series goes along. Don't you think that?

I'd say it just depends on the story he's talking about. Like I like most of his alignment stuff but his whole Players can't be evil thing gets tedious.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

Dead, but still drawing over $2000 a month.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

DStecks posted:

Also the Brothers Chaps did real jobs in the meantime, and pursued their creative passions in other fields than internet cartoons.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

A good poster posted:

Dead, but still drawing over $2000 a month.

Well, at least now with taxman taking 30% he no longer makes a take home wage bigger then the gross income of a full time minimum wage employee. But it'll still be more take home income then the guy who worked 160 hours a month.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Also the Brothers Chaps did real jobs in the meantime, and pursued their creative passions in other fields than internet cartoons.

It's how we get wonderful things like this: "Grunkle Stan & Strong Bad finally confess their feelings"

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

DStecks posted:

Homestar Runner is also a treasure that never even got remotely "bad", unlike Spoony, with whom it was like watching a perverse Greek tragedy unfold, even before his inactivity.
Sixteen years later and I still can't name any Web-original content better than Homestar Runner.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Say what you will about Linkara, but the guy puts out a video every week, and you can tell he's trying his best. Brad Jones puts out like 3 or 4 a week - a lot of them are vlogs, but they're fun vlogs with him and his friends enjoying themselves and going fun, creative stuff. Spoony's vlogs are just him being angry.

Spoony's Ulitma videos started out great, he explained why he liked the games, poked fun at thier flaws, and they were well researched and entertaining. Then in the Ultima 9 video he doesn't really talk about the game, but plays the ''what's a paladin' clip over and over and over and over again.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Uh guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFdq66ZE2yQ

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Got to say, that's some impeccable timing.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
and a pretty impeccable delivery of "kept you waiting, huh?", to his credit.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Beefstew posted:

Homestar Runner is also a treasure that never even got remotely "bad", unlike Spoony, with whom it was like watching a perverse Greek tragedy unfold, even before his inactivity.
Sixteen years later and I still can't name any Web-original content better than Homestar Runner.

Eh, their output during their last period of consistent releases got pretty self-indulgent and injokey. I mean, they never got bad, but there's a lot you won't get from their later videos unless you'd been following them for years, when up to that point every single cartoon had been 100% self-contained.

DoctorWhat posted:

and a pretty impeccable delivery of "kept you waiting, huh?", to his credit.

You don't get to make a cheeky "ain't I a stinker" joke when people have been giving you money on a monthly basis and you're days short of a year since your last video.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

DStecks posted:

You don't get to make a cheeky "ain't I a stinker" joke when people have been giving you money on a monthly basis and you're days short of a year since your last video.

I think it's his best joke in years specifically for this reason.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Better Nate than lever.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

That was... adequate, I guess. I kinda liked it. I hope his Patreon supporters enjoyed it, because there probably won't be another one this year.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
His jokes definitely aren't really on point compared to years ago but you gotta accept that going in. :sigh:

DStecks posted:

Apparently, you do.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Guess I get to eat my words :v:

rujasu posted:

That was... adequate, I guess. I kinda liked it. I hope his Patreon supporters enjoyed it, because there probably won't be another one this year.

That's kind of my impression too. It was alright and good to see him putting out some content but nothing mind blowing.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

DStecks posted:

He just did.

EDIT: Spoony is still funny, how about that!

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 7, 2016

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

It only took what, 28-36 grand to make this?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Leal posted:

It only took what, 28-36 grand to make this?

Spoony is the poor man's Adam Sandler.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Writer Cath posted:

Got to say, that's some impeccable timing.

With how often this thread gets on the "I wish Spoony still made cool stuff :smith:" conversation, it was pretty likely if he came back at all he'd do it during one of them. :v:

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Well, that was enjoyable - better than the last film review he did. Hope we get some more this year....

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Feb 7, 2016

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Since his actual done up reviews are so few and far between I forgot to look at his youtube lately, man he's done a bunch of live wire stream stuff at least... but then you see like half of them he's done are now private videos? Seemingly at random as well, you'll have most of a game but then couple 1-2 hour+ long parts are just gone.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Got to say that when Spoony streams a game he likes, he comes across as pretty fun. He seems like he's pretty funny in off the cuff moments.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Well, that was enjoyable - better than the last film review he did. Hope we get some more this year....
Yeah it was better than most of them. I think because he legitimately likes Reb Brown stuff he has more fun with it, as opposed to when he reviews stuff he REALLY doesn't like.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Putting everything else aside, it was cool seeing him happy, y'know? :unsmith:

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
And that concludes SpoonyWatch '16.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

ApeHawk posted:

And that concludes SpoonyWatch '16.

It was fun. See y'all in a few years!

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

dijon du jour posted:

It was fun. See y'all in a few years!

:sadwave:

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

The internet reviewer named Noah who actually regularly produces content made a video defending DOOM 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn0IMQIlUMQ

I don't agree with a lot of the points he brings up about the game eschewing nostalgia entirely when it's visually and thematically a literal remake, but there are some good points regardless!

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Genetic Toaster posted:

The internet reviewer named Noah who actually regularly produces content made a video defending DOOM 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn0IMQIlUMQ

I don't agree with a lot of the points he brings up about the game eschewing nostalgia entirely when it's visually and thematically a literal remake, but there are some good points regardless!

This is a really thoughtful video and kept my attention throughout. I'm glad he can appreciate the O.G. campaign and I can't even say any of his arguments in favor are wrong but... I definitely prefer Resurrection of Evil. In a different new franchise I could accept the heavy horror emphasis (instead of it just being spice) and acknowledge it was pulled off well, but that's just not what Doom is to me. The monster closets and lack of a flashlight weapon attachment might've caused some ragequits back in the day that have biased me though. :suicide:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Genetic Toaster posted:

I really love his stuff but it feels rough around the edges. I've noticed some stuttering and repeating himself sometimes. It's not a big deal but he could definitely use some polish.

One of my favorite videos of his was his thing about "rear end in a top hat Simulators" which really is the perfect group for games like Postal and Hatred.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Oh so NOW he starts making videos again. Glad to know all that Patreon money finally went to something for once.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Genetic Toaster posted:

The internet reviewer named Noah who actually regularly produces content made a video defending DOOM 3:

He brings up a lot of good points, in that the criticisms of Doom 3 not being an action game don't really hold water, but he doesn't address that Doom 3 is simply not a good horror game. It's a fascinatingly hosed affair; the classic complaint is that not being able to shine a flashlight and shoot at the same time is annoying, but the entire game was balanced around that, so giving the player a standard video game flashlight completely borks what little horror the game does well. And the guns are so flavourless and the enemies so unengaging to fight that you can't just strip out the horror and hope to find a Doom game underneath; in essence, adding horror to Doom ruined it, but taking the horror back out makes the game even worse.

Doom 3 is a game I have a lot of thoughts on, so instead of making a derailing effortpost I think I might just make a response video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Doom 3 is a lot like Half-Life 2 in that it's more of a tech demo than a fun game to play.

• Locked thread