Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
YJ also had to goofy subplot where the entire JLA goes on a mission and gets brainwashed and then gets put on trial for their crime. That was a pretty poo poo part of the series.

Edit:

Holy poo poo Dan Stevens is the star of the forthcoming LEGION series?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/legion-dan-stevens-aubrey-plaza-861358

I'm now seriously looking forward to this. He was amazing in the Guest.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

New post for an unrelated topic.

Lucifer's second episode was dece, but it's loving hilarious to me that there are now 2 shows based on Vertigo comics that have been turned into police procedurals despite the original comic having absolutely nothing to do with cops.

I watched the first episode never having read the comics and I thought it kind of sucked. It's basically the Mentalist but with the devil playing the role of smarmy smart arsehole with a heart of good. The whole thing just felt so bloody generic and stupid. I wouldn't have minded the police procedural thing if it was handled better like iZombie (which I agree is great that they didn't follow the comic) but it just comes across as total lower common denominator stuff.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

YJ also had to goofy subplot where the entire JLA goes on a mission and gets brainwashed and then gets put on trial for their crime. That was a pretty poo poo part of the series.

Edit:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/legion-dan-stevens-aubrey-plaza-861358

I have no idea how you do a Legion show without the attendant expanded universe.

Does Legion just have all those abilities or does he have to like kill and absorb somebody first.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Edit:

Don't get too excited, it also says Aubrey Plaza.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
After seeing him in The Guest, I was hoping Dan Stevens would be cast as Iron Fist. Oh well.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aphrodite posted:

Why is that a bad thing?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Arrow needs to frickin STOP putting Malcolm as the focus point of moral dilemmas already. This is the 3rd or 4th time they are trying to make a choice about what to do about him some kind of big moral decision. He is a mass murdering, genocidal terrorist who has never faced justice and is still running around freely, now as the leader of a terrorist group of assassins. He will never go peacefully, and any attempt to bring him to justice will result in a bunch of dead cops and innocent bystanders, but let's keep acting like killing or hurting him in any way makes us as bad as he is.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
He even reminded us, "I am the demons head". Bleh.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aphrodite posted:

She's a national treasure, you gently caress!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I always wondered why superheroes always seem to think killing or letting the bad guy go unmolested are their only options. If I was Daredevil and I was dealing with Bullseye I'd like, take him to night nurse and be like "gently caress up his hand nerves so he can kinda eat soup by himself but not much more than that."

It's a bit extreme but I'm pretty sure it's not quite as bad as killing him or letting him go and hoping the justice system magically starts working right in a superhero universe.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Lurdiak posted:

I always wondered why superheroes always seem to think killing or letting the bad guy go unmolested are their only options. If I was Daredevil and I was dealing with Bullseye I'd like, take him to night nurse and be like "gently caress up his hand nerves so he can kinda eat soup by himself but not much more than that."

It's a bit extreme but I'm pretty sure it's not quite as bad as killing him or letting him go and hoping the justice system magically starts working right in a superhero universe.

Sounds like someone needs to read the greatest Image book of the 90s!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Now see, now that guy's gonna need help going to the bathroom. That's too far.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

ToastyPotato posted:

Arrow needs to frickin STOP putting Malcolm as the focus point of moral dilemmas already. This is the 3rd or 4th time they are trying to make a choice about what to do about him some kind of big moral decision. He is a mass murdering, genocidal terrorist who has never faced justice and is still running around freely, now as the leader of a terrorist group of assassins. He will never go peacefully, and any attempt to bring him to justice will result in a bunch of dead cops and innocent bystanders, but let's keep acting like killing or hurting him in any way makes us as bad as he is.

That's one of the things that pissed me off about season 3. It's like Malcolm gives everyone a puppy and they all of sudden forget what a genocidal jerk he is. His convoluted and barely rational plan in season 3 even stressed that fact by making Oliver fight his fight by killing Lance and still, yea you are forgiven.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
To be fair Oliver didn't forgive him and or trust him until this season at the end of season 3 he still hated him but made a deal because there was no other choice.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Dexo posted:

To be fair Oliver didn't forgive him and or trust him until this season at the end of season 3 he still hated him but made a deal because there was no other choice.

Wait which deal? Last season Ras just wanted Malcolm so he could dispense justice. It was over and done with, but Ollie decided to risk his life, the life of his friends, and eventually the entire city trying to save an irredeemable monster for *reasons*. Pretty much almost none of last season would have happened past Sarah dying if Ollie just let Ras have Malcolm. Didn't Ras only go after Thea after after Ollie started meddling? Maybe I am remembering the order of events wrong. I feel like there was definitely a point where Ras was like, "actually, just give me Malcolm and I'm good."

Also Ollie taking the blame and fighting Ras 1v1 was before Thea got the visit from Ras, wasn't it?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ToastyPotato posted:

Wait which deal? Last season Ras just wanted Malcolm so he could dispense justice. It was over and done with, but Ollie decided to risk his life, the life of his friends, and eventually the entire city trying to save an irredeemable monster for *reasons*. Pretty much almost none of last season would have happened past Sarah dying if Ollie just let Ras have Malcolm. Didn't Ras only go after Thea after after Ollie started meddling? Maybe I am remembering the order of events wrong. I feel like there was definitely a point where Ras was like, "actually, just give me Malcolm and I'm good."

Also Ollie taking the blame and fighting Ras 1v1 was before Thea got the visit from Ras, wasn't it?

Ollie fought and lost to Ra's to protect Thea, then Ra's was obsessed with Ollie becoming the next Ra's Al Ghul, which would require destroying Star City.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Ollie fought and lost to Ra's to protect Thea, then Ra's was obsessed with Ollie becoming the next Ra's Al Ghul, which would require destroying Star City.

Right, but Ollie only had to fight Ras in the first place because they were covering for Malcolm, right? Wasn't there some scene where Ollie challenged Ras and basically took responsibility for what Malcolm did or something? It might have happened in a warehouse. I think Malcolm was there even?

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 5, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

ToastyPotato posted:

Right, but Ollie only had to fight Ras in the first place because they were covering for Malcolm, right? Wasn't there some scene where Ollie challenged Ras and basically took responsibility for what Malcolm did or something? It might have happened in a warehouse. I think Malcolm was there even?

Oliver took responsibility to protect Thea, because Malcolm set her up because he knew Oliver would do anything to protect her. He went to fight because if Malcom got caught and showed Ras what happened Thea was screwed too. And Oliver was unwilling to play chicken with the fact that Malcolm wouldn't sell out his own daughter to save his life.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

Dude he's his arch nemesis, it's like complaining about Batman fighting the Joker too much.

Re: this season, I really like the lighter tone the actors are playing this year. Even Roy seemed to have more of a spring in his step.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Dexo posted:

Oliver took responsibility to protect Thea, because Malcolm set her up because he knew Oliver would do anything to protect her. He went to fight because if Malcom got caught and showed Ras what happened Thea was screwed too. And Oliver was unwilling to play chicken with the fact that Malcolm wouldn't sell out his own daughter to save his life.

Ok, but Malcolm got caught later anyway, and was going to be executed, which lead to Team Arrow raiding Ninjatown to bust him out, and then didn't Nissa tell Thea that they didn't give a poo poo about her killing Sarah when it turned out that Malcolm was controlling her? Like, didn't it turn out that the truth would have prevented this whole thing? They just took Malcolm at his word for no reason, and even when he got busted, Thea was sad that she sold her dad out or something and everyone put targets on their back to save him. Even though Thea didn't sell him out at all, he was legit guilty and Sarah and almost Ollie died because of it.

zoux posted:

Dude he's his arch nemesis, it's like complaining about Batman fighting the Joker too much.

Re: this season, I really like the lighter tone the actors are playing this year. Even Roy seemed to have more of a spring in his step.

The Joker stuff is tiring too, but when it is written well, it makes sense. Batman is crazy, and the Joker is crazy. If Batman killed his problems away, he fears he would not have the self control to stop.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

He went to go save Malcolm at Thea's request and that was also before he was told by Nyssa that they didn't care about Thea.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Well in the comics, Daredevil paralyzed Bullseye. Then Bullseye got an upgrade with an adamantium laced-skeleton, so that didn't work either.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Dexo posted:

He went to go save Malcolm at Thea's request and that was also before he was told by Nyssa that they didn't care about Thea.

Geez. Sorry I couldn't remember all the nonsense, the arc is pretty much a complete mess.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

Geez. Sorry I couldn't remember all the nonsense, the arc is pretty much a complete mess.

Eh. It makes comic book sense which is the low low bar I ask these shows to clear.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Just to jump back to YJ for a sec, one thing pulling in its favor is the excellent animation quality. The character designs are clean and faithful, the combat is fluid and easy to follow and everyone has distinctive, well-choreographed fighting styles. If you can't handle the plot then gently caress it and skip to the tight action sequences, they're worth it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

McSpanky posted:

Just to jump back to YJ for a sec, one thing pulling in its favor is the excellent animation quality. The character designs are clean and faithful, the combat is fluid and easy to follow and everyone has distinctive, well-choreographed fighting styles. If you can't handle the plot then gently caress it and skip to the tight action sequences, they're worth it.

There's a limit to the number of times I can hear Dick Grayson say "whelmed"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Young Justice's designs are kind of a mixed bag, since they did have the lamest looking Joker until Suicide Squad.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Dexo posted:

Eh. It makes comic book sense which is the low low bar I ask these shows to clear.

Comic book writing is a lot more fluid and plot points and some times entire arcs are easily ignored or handwaved away all the time. On a TV show, stuff like that really sticks out like a sore thumb and is more distracting and terrible. It is also why the comparison to Batman and Joker doesn't really work, because their relationship has been depicted in dozens of ways and Batman not killing him either has differing reasons, or it doesn't exist at all and Batman basically murders him (example: Batman 1989).

That's why I love The Flash. They are pretty unethical, in keeping prisoners with no due process in tiny little rooms hidden in a dark tunnel, but the show ignores this because going into the ethics of super villain incarceration would be boring at this point. They have gone too far for that to be something to halt the plot over. Maybe they get bored and address it later, but either way, it is fine this way.

I don't mind a show that tries to deal with the morality of being an armed vigilante, but it gets old when years later, we are still having this discussion, specifically centered around a character they chose to write as a complete irredeemable monster, especially when Team Arrow have flat out murdered tons of people during their run (another thing comics tend to not do when they want to have a character who doesn't cross the line.)

On a related note, I really hope The Punisher is well written and not bogged down in poorly designed moral dilemmas and high school level ethics debates.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

ToastyPotato posted:

Comic book writing is a lot more fluid and plot points and some times entire arcs are easily ignored or handwaved away all the time. On a TV show, stuff like that really sticks out like a sore thumb and is more distracting and terrible. It is also why the comparison to Batman and Joker doesn't really work, because their relationship has been depicted in dozens of ways and Batman not killing him either has differing reasons, or it doesn't exist at all and Batman basically murders him (example: Batman 1989).

That's why I love The Flash. They are pretty unethical, in keeping prisoners with no due process in tiny little rooms hidden in a dark tunnel, but the show ignores this because going into the ethics of super villain incarceration would be boring at this point. They have gone too far for that to be something to halt the plot over. Maybe they get bored and address it later, but either way, it is fine this way.

I don't mind a show that tries to deal with the morality of being an armed vigilante, but it gets old when years later, we are still having this discussion, specifically centered around a character they chose to write as a complete irredeemable monster, especially when Team Arrow have flat out murdered tons of people during their run (another thing comics tend to not do when they want to have a character who doesn't cross the line.)

On a related note, I really hope The Punisher is well written and not bogged down in poorly designed moral dilemmas and high school level ethics debates.

It's why I don't think too hard about it when Olly has a no kill rule except for hired goons.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I'm giving up on Legends of Tomorrow after two uninteresting episodes. There's no great plot, style, or charisma to get me interested. It is like action figures getting smashed together.
Is Agent Carter any good? I ended up wandering away from the first season, but I didn't really dislike it

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Agent Carter is excellent, especially this season where it comes across as very polished. The pacing is geting a little weird, but you don't pity watch it the way you did with some of the episodes last season. It should also be on Netflix, so just binge it.

I have no idea what the hell they are doing on and with LoT.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

StumblyWumbly posted:

Is Agent Carter any good?
Hell yes it is.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Agent Carter is super stylish, very well polished, and has an incredibly charming cast. The only real weakness is that they are slowly teasing the main story reveal and doing a lot of "monster of the week" and exposition style plot lines. Waiting a week between episodes is frustrating.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

AC is very fun, but it feels like it has the pacing of a Netflix show, which is bad for live viewing or week to week viewing. Still fun and watchable, but you don't get much pay off to anything per episode.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Agent Carter is super stylish, very well polished, and has an incredibly charming cast. The only real weakness is that they are slowly teasing the main story reveal and doing a lot of "monster of the week" and exposition style plot lines. Waiting a week between episodes is frustrating.

Are you sure we are watching the same show? Are we using "monster of the week" differently? Monster of the week is Agents of Season 1 up until Turn, Turn, Turn.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Daredevil made Bullseye deaf, blind and paralyzed in their last encounter.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Alhazred posted:

Daredevil made Bullseye deaf, blind and paralyzed in their last encounter.

Yeah but he was possessed by a demon and trying to murder him so whatever.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah but he was possessed by a demon and trying to murder him so whatever.

In the series written by Waid Daredevil accidentally dropped radioactive waste on Bullseye, making him blind. In the Frank Miller run Daredevil shattered Bullseye's spine after he killed Elektra. Not to mention the time he carved a bullseye on Bullseye's head with a rock. Given the chance, Daredevil will gently caress you up but good.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

Alhazred posted:

In the series written by Waid Daredevil accidentally dropped radioactive waste on Bullseye, making him blind. In the Frank Miller run Daredevil shattered Bullseye's spine after he killed Elektra. Not to mention the time he carved a bullseye on Bullseye's head with a rock. Given the chance, Daredevil will gently caress you up but good.

Don't forget this moment, the comics show just how brutal DD can be towards Bullseye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

In the series written by Waid Daredevil accidentally dropped radioactive waste on Bullseye, making him blind.

I thought in the Waid run he just straight killed Bullseye, leaving him to drown in the radioactive waste but it's been a while since I've read that issue.