Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

That's IE

We were talking about the Chrome screenshot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

FCKGW posted:

and you're proud of this trash heap?

jfc by a 5k iMac already, the worlds best computer

ya I built this before the 5k iMac but that machine has issues with heat tbh and I say this as a guy with a fanless cpu and case

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

how difficult is this in tyool 2016

real easy if you're building from scratch, only real downside is you have to use mac compatible chipset which is a generation behind (x97? can't remember) but doing so saves you a lot of money soooooooo maybe it cancels out

pram
Jun 10, 2001
u got the 'tism son

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Internaut! posted:

ya I built this before the 5k iMac but that machine has issues with heat tbh and I say this as a guy with a fanless cpu and case

real easy if you're building from scratch, only real downside is you have to use mac compatible chipset which is a generation behind (x97? can't remember) but doing so saves you a lot of money soooooooo maybe it cancels out

And then you're running an OS on HFS+. :rip: your data

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
is NTFS any better? idk I have time machine backing poo poo up as soon as it's created basically

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

NTFS is the best most advanced general purpose filesystem in the world

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

It's not quite as kludgetastic as HFS+ I guess? As far as I know no operating system's native filesystem is actually good.

Apple had actually explored ZFS as an alternative, probably forgoing it because of memory limitations - RAM is plentiful enough now that they really should look at it again. Microsoft probably never did because of Not Invented Here Syndrome (also when the hell is Windows Client getting ReFS :argh:)

Then again the world looks like it's racing headlong into F2FS or other substrate-dependent file systems for client devices with 90% of stuff being in the cloud so this discussion may not even matter past the near future.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Apple had actually explored ZFS as an alternative, probably forgoing it because of memory limitations - RAM is plentiful enough now that they really should look at it again.

iirc it was actually because oracle bought sun, otherwise it would've definitely been a thing

Then again the world looks like it's racing headlong into F2FS or other substrate-dependent file systems for client devices with 90% of stuff being in the cloud so this discussion may not even matter past the near future.

This is probably why they say "eh, good enough" for HFS+ though

pram
Jun 10, 2001

servers use filesystems jfyi

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

pram posted:

yeah but your os wont and what server is using hfs+ anyway

pram
Jun 10, 2001
you are retarded

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

pram posted:

yeah but that's like saying servers use sql, and in the year of our lord 2016 there's always going to be that guy who's going to suggest some garbage like mongo for any and all use cases

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
nosql actually has specific but useful roles and ten years from now all you idiot fuckers are going to know how to use it

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

pram posted:

Yeah but they're usually four or five virtualization platforms these days so they could use anything, and will probably use whatever makes system management bearable. As long as they hold up their end re: data integrity, the client doesn't - and shouldn't - have to care.

The only time it becomes an issue is when Apple and Microsoft write their network management tools for their own server OSes first and others only as an afterthought if at all like jerks.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Yeah but they're usually four or five virtualization platforms these days so they could use anything, and will probably use whatever makes system management bearable. As long as they hold up their end re: data integrity, the client doesn't - and shouldn't - have to care.

The only time it becomes an issue is when Apple and Microsoft write their network management tools for their own server OSes first and others only as an afterthought if at all like jerks.

you have literally no idea what youre talking about lol

DOG AT THE DOOR
Aug 29, 2007

bwha

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

hail

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Satyan

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

necrotic posted:

yeah but your os wont and what server is using hfs+ anyway

my iOS build servers :smithcloud:

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Necc0 posted:

nosql actually has specific but useful roles and ten years from now all you idiot fuckers are going to know how to use it

yeah in 10 years there will be some good money converting applications for businesses that got saddled with some garbage unmaintainable MEAN stack into something reliable

Java 14 and oracle, the stack for cyber warfare in 202x

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ahmeni posted:

will it be before or after they decide that security isn't just a fad

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ahmeni posted:

on zos :unsmigghh:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
over 2 billion devices cant be wrong

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Cocoa Crispies posted:

will it be before or after they decide that security isn't just a fad

you think they might actually realize security isn't a fad?

i'ma call bullshit on that

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

theultimo posted:

Microsoft has initiated a voluntary recall for AC power cords (the cord that plugs into an electrical outlet) sold with the Microsoft Surface Pro and Microsoft Surface Pro 2, and with any Microsoft Surface Pro 3 purchased prior to March 15, 2015 ("pre-March 15, 2015 Surface Pro 3"). This is being done in cooperation with various government regulatory agencies.

If these AC cords are sharply and repeatedly bent or wrapped tightly over an extended period of time, they may become damaged. Damaged AC power cords can overheat, posing a potential fire or shock hazard.

According to our records, we show the following devices registered to you that are eligible for a replacement AC power cord.

Action Required:

Stop using your AC power cord if you have a Surface Pro or Surface Pro 2, or a pre-March 15, 2015, Surface Pro 3. Replacement AC power cords will be provided at no cost through the program website.

Please go to the Microsoft website at https://www.surface.com/powercord to obtain your free replacement AC power cord. You should dispose or recycle your replaced AC cord in accordance with local requirements.

Review the cord care instructions on the Surface support page at Power Cord Care.

Note:

Microsoft Surface devices and other accessories are not affected. Only the specified AC power cords are subject to this recall, including AC power cords provided with power supply units sold separately before March 15, 2015.

AC power cords connect the power supply unit to a wall outlet and are removable from the power supply unit. If your existing AC power cord looks identical to the one pictured below, it is subject to this recall.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
i get more fps om xcom 2 in linux with ogl than on windows 10 dx lmao

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

stealing cable designs from apple

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Necc0 posted:

nosql is going to replace /dev/null when doing output redirection

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
this device almost killed my family

verge score 8.8/10

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Necc0 posted:

lmao

Apr 7, 2003

"in ten years C will be dead" - a human being

Apr 7, 2003

I am utterly confused as to why people think NoSQL is useful, and I will welcome any and all discussion about it here.

Apr 7, 2003

Mods, please ban Necc0 if he is unable to provide an example of nosql that is better than SQL. Please ban me if I can't provide an example where SQL is better than nosql. Smythe will be the judge, and graph will oversee all.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

whats wrong with cassandra?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Citizen Tayne posted:

Mods, please ban Necc0 if he is unable to provide an example of nosql that is better than SQL. Please ban me if I can't provide an example where SQL is better than nosql. Smythe will be the judge, and graph will oversee all.

im ready for this. do you want a YOSPOS SQL Superbowl?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Smythe posted:

i know i do

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Smythe posted:

:getin:

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
looking forward to a slap fight over hammer vs screwdriver

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Smythe posted:

:munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

ahmeni posted:

looking forward to a slap fight over hammer vs screwdriver

uh, hammers and screwdrivers are really bad for slapping

• Locked thread