Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Hammerstein posted:

Hope I'm not bothering you too much with that request. But I would love to have a mini-tutorial about how to do this. I'm still bumbling around blind in the SDK, although I figured out how people modified the turn limit.

When you download mods they come with everything that went into making it, including script source code. They're saved in \Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\268500\

Adding another country pretty much just requires changing all occurrences of the country name, the reference to which name lists it uses, a few self explanatory .ini settings and making a UPK with the flag.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

devilmaydry posted:

So hey I'm wondering if anyone in here figured out a way to change the default weapon color? I want every soldier I get to have a black gun instead of the tan one they have cus I'm boring.

I can't test it myself right now, but I found something that might be relevant: In the game folder, check \XComGame\Config\DefaultContent.ini

In there, you'll find the entry "DefaultPrimaryWeaponTint", which is assigned a simple number. I dunno which number corresponds to which colour, but that should be pretty simple to find out with a bit of testing.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Any of you guys notice that when you try to savescum a hack you get the same roll every time?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Xcom saves the current RNG into the save file, you have to Do stuff to get it to reroll.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
First of all I'm pretty loving sure the AI cheats. I was trying to one of the destroy facilities missions, was able to get my squad all the way up to the back of the building while still being in concealment, but one of the patrols was literally beelining towards my concealed squad regardless of where I positioned them.

Also, it seems to pretty much ignore retaliation attacks and just recommunicate with the resistance. You lose like 4-5 days, but you don't have to deal with injuries or the possibility of someone on your A-squad getting rolled by you know what.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The big problem with XCOM2 is there's a timer on everything.
(rest moved out of quote for counterpoints)

--You're under a timer from the start with a clock that will hit 7/10 units within the first month.
Mine hit 3. Then I popped the black site. Not sure why people leave it lying around.
--You're under a timer to prevent Dark Ops from occurring.
That's not a time limit, that's "choose one of these to not happen". You always get a "pick one" mission before they activate.
--You're under a timer in most of the missions, and likely to get interrupted in whatever you try to do on your own volition with a mission of critical importance that you're not allowed to say no to Or Else.
Yeah this bugs me a bit. Mission timers mesh fine with my playstyle (I think adding a couple of turns would be good, but the mods I've seen add too many or remove them entirely) but on the stratmap it seems like there's always something firing off. I'd like it fine if the "collect supplies/troops/whatever" side scanning things just came and went without a game-pausing announcement, that's the last straw for me.
--That's not even including the new Sectoids being dumped on the player from the very first real mission in.
This is a bad thing?

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

splifyphus posted:

I haven't even built a psy-ops yet.

PSA - Psi ops are the strongest class in the game once you've dumped a bunch of training time into them and gotten the third amp upgrade. Psi lance is incredible, void rift is incredible, domination is incredible(90%+ chance on Andromedans, for example), squad immunity to panic is incredible, the ability to shut down a sectopod or a gatekeeper for a turn so you can get into position for an easy kill is incredible, and if that isn't enough fortress makes them permanently immune to poison, fire, and explosions.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Timers are loving great. TACTICALLY ANALYZING THE SITUATION to realize the only way you can make it to the evac zone in two turns is to do two full sprints past a pod and then it loving work out is amazing. I can see how people wouldn't like that though. They could literally add +1 turn to most of the mission types and I think that'd make the difference for most folks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bruceski posted:

--You're under a timer from the start with a clock that will hit 7/10 units within the first month.
Mine hit 3. Then I popped the black site. Not sure why people leave it lying around.

Because they keep getting stuck in a loop of soldiers healing and being forced to do Retaliation/Priority Missions, and I got slapped with two new facilities almost right off the bat in both campaigns I started while trying to get ahead of that drat curve.

Bruceski posted:

--You're under a timer to prevent Dark Ops from occurring.
That's not a time limit, that's "choose one of these to not happen". You always get a "pick one" mission before they activate.

Yup, you get a choice of three on "what way do I not get more on my plate this month?" with it counting down weekly until it's coming while you're trying to spin several other plates.

Bruceski posted:

--That's not even including the new Sectoids being dumped on the player from the very first real mission in.
This is a bad thing?

Considering they're essentially Ethereals and a single one can badly gently caress up a group of rookies, yes. They wouldn't be so bad as a middle-game enemy, the problem is that they're dumped on the player from the start even on Rookie and turn up in enough numbers that what should be easy kills early on to get some Squaddies up turns into an unnecessarily brutal fight for survival.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I've never played any of the XCOM games before but I'm curious.

Is it wise to skip ahead to XCOM2 for 60 bucks or would it be acceptable to save money with the new Steam sale and get XCOM Enemy Unknown for 8 bucks?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Is it wise to skip ahead to XCOM2 for 60 bucks or would it be acceptable to save money with the new Steam sale and get XCOM Enemy Unknown for 8 bucks?

I would buy Xcom 1+Enemy within, because 2 is going to be a reduced price in a summer sale by the time you're done.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

XCOM1 is still a fantastic game but the experience might suffer if you've played XCOM2 before it. I say go for EU+EW.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Also paying 8 dollars to see if you like a series of games you've never played before is probably a safer bet

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Man, does anyone feel that the new research tree/upgrade system feel a little bit too streamlined? It almost feels like going from ME1 to ME2, where a ton of things just sorta got consolidated and you end up with like half as many things to research and the upgrades sorta just apply across the board to everyone.

This reminds me that I really enjoyed Mass Effect 2, and loving hate EA for not ditching the bullshit Bioware points garbage so I can actually stomach to purchase the DLC.

Wildtortilla posted:

I want to play more XCOM but I don't want to drop a ton of money. I never played Enemy Within or the Long War mod, and it just so happens EW is on sale this weekend for $7.50. Is EW worth buying at this point in the game or should I bite the bullet and play XCOM 2?
Enemy Within lets you loving robocop your dudes. XCOM 2 doesn't. Get Enemy Within.

So this isn't misunderstood. XCOM2 owns.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
So what is the appeal of the XCOM series exactly? From what I understand, it's a 3rd-person tactical strategy shooter game where you can personalize a squad of 4 people across missions and get attached to them while you pull off wicked sick moves on enemy aliens.

Am I missing anything?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Anyone else have this really weird issue with the game always launching in a 1280x720 window when running in a Borderless Window? Like the startup movies will be the proper resolution but once I hit the main menu it'll downsize to 1280. Then I have to go and switch to either windowed or full screen and back again and the game will finally be at the proper size until I quit and launch it again.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Get the first game (and possibly the expac, Enemy Within). If you don't like it you've saved a bunch of money, and if you do then you're playing a great game and can get the sequel for cheaper later on.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Considering they're essentially Ethereals and a single one can badly gently caress up a group of rookies, yes. They wouldn't be so bad as a middle-game enemy, the problem is that they're dumped on the player from the start even on Rookie and turn up in enough numbers that what should be easy kills early on to get some Squaddies up turns into an unnecessarily brutal fight for survival.
They do a hell of a lot less damage than Ethereals, and ressing is so rarely a threat too. I'd prefer to see them than most of the other enemies, even very early on.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

So what is the appeal of the XCOM series exactly? From what I understand, it's a 3rd-person tactical strategy shooter game where you can personalize a squad of 4 people across missions and get attached to them while you pull off wicked sick moves on enemy aliens.

Am I missing anything?

Lots of terrible dice rolls that make you lose a bunch of squadies/playthroughs that you have grown attached to. Tear. Some more tears. A couple of resounding victories that make it all worthwhile.

You can play on the easier difficulties if you just want to be click on aliens and watch your sick nasty soldiers clean their filth from the face of the Earth.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Am I missing anything?

It's not a shooter; everything is done by dice rolls.

The rest of it is pretty accurate though, except you missed the point where they all gently caress up, miss their point-blank shots and die horribly.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 31, 2022

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm pretty sure Aiming Angles from EW is on by default in this one too, which would explain how I keep getting dudes in high cover murked.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Whats the proper build order for the avenger? Are workshops a trap option? Is it worth going comms for extra income before doing modular weapons?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Insert name here posted:

Anyone else have this really weird issue with the game always launching in a 1280x720 window when running in a Borderless Window? Like the startup movies will be the proper resolution but once I hit the main menu it'll downsize to 1280. Then I have to go and switch to either windowed or full screen and back again and the game will finally be at the proper size until I quit and launch it again.

Yep, I changed the resolution settings in the ini files (don't remember which one though, just search for "1280" and you'll find the setting) and that worked for me.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The sectoids are easy to counter and very predictable, wait until you run into the pokeballs.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Grapplejack posted:

I'm pretty sure Aiming Angles from EW is on by default in this one too, which would explain how I keep getting dudes in high cover murked.

Yeah, there's a +20% good angle bonus when you almost have a flank on a dude in high cover.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Elliotw2 posted:

The sectoids are easy to counter and very predictable, wait until you run into the pokeballs.

Sectoids just reanimate a dude 99% of the time and die to a grenade and a shot or two shots iirc. As far as I'm concerned they're pretty much a free kill and would be a lot more dangerous if they didn't faff around with their PSI abilities and just shot at you.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Elliotw2 posted:

The pokeballs have a hilarious counter: They can be Dominated, which is permanent. A magus with the level 3 psi amp has an 80% chance of success. :getin:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

It seems like if you use Void Rift on a pod while in concealment your Psi Guy keeps casting spells as a kind of overwatch thing.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

gonadic io posted:

Yep, I changed the resolution settings in the ini files (don't remember which one though, just search for "1280" and you'll find the setting) and that worked for me.
I found some settings in the xcomengine.ini and changed them but it didn't seem to do anything. :saddowns:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Insert name here posted:

I found some settings in the xcomengine.ini and changed them but it didn't seem to do anything. :saddowns:

Look again, did the game change them back? If so then set the file to read-only

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

Whats the proper build order for the avenger? Are workshops a trap option? Is it worth going comms for extra income before doing modular weapons?

I got a little frustrated by this for a while because I wasn't sure how things worked, and had a workshop on the left side, right under the GTS (which doesn't benefit from workshop). Seems like it's a non-issue. Workshops only effectively double the utility of your engineers, and they can either only upgrade once, or can upgrade in tandem with your Comm/Power, which means you only ever need your workshop connecting two facilities, and even then, the only ones really worth caring about are probably the power/coms since you probably REALLY want those to remain constantly staffed, and if you're going to effectively have an engineer permanently pulled from the line, it's probably far better to have them assigned to something that doubles their utility.

Things like Proving Ground, or Psi lap can be staffed/unstaffed as needed.

Having said that, I haven't tried slapping two workshops side by side. If it is possible to staff a workshop with a gremlins, it may actually be preferable to daisy chain workshops straight down the middle. It wouldn't be a huge bonus, especially considering the resource cost/space/time cost, but I guess it could be a thing if you are seriously hurting for engineers.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

jesus h tittyfucking christ

I need a towel

gently caress you advent

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

gonadic io posted:

Look again, did the game change them back? If so then set the file to read-only
It did not so I have no clue.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Musluk posted:

jesus h tittyfucking christ

I need a towel

gently caress you advent

You let 10 aliens live... :colbert:

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Is there any kind of fix for the bug where flashbanged aliens have 100% accuracy and always crit? I've lost several missions to that.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Kiggles posted:

You let 10 aliens live... :colbert:

well

8 of them were advent mecs

they apparently love throwing rockets around as much as I do

the other 2 were advanced lancers so I just threw a rookie at them and ran the gently caress away

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
Enemy activates, shoots a grenade at the vip behind hi cover, setting her on fire (she is literally standing in a water fountain) -> dead, nothing I could possibly do. *sigh*

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Because they keep getting stuck in a loop of soldiers healing and being forced to do Retaliation/Priority Missions, and I got slapped with two new facilities almost right off the bat in both campaigns I started while trying to get ahead of that drat curve.

. . .

These are the two things that are killing the game for me right now. I'm probably not in the right mental state at the moment to deal with the "managing constant failure" gameplay that XCOM 2 is built around. The difficult early-game enemies coupled with my rookies/squaddies missing constantly leads to me losing soldiers with alarming regularity and getting soldiers injured even more often, so then I can't stay ahead of the curve with missions. I found myself getting pissed off at the game for throwing another mission at me and that's about when I realized I should stop for a while.

I don't know why I'm finding this so infuriating but Darkest Dungeon is no big deal right now. Maybe it's because there's a sense that XCOM 2 is going to progress at a certain rate and you can fall behind the curve by failing too often, while Darkest Dungeon (at least not on NG+) moves at whatever pace you want it to, so if you fail over and over you can take all the time you need to recover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

how me a frog posted:

Enemy activates, shoots a grenade at the vip behind hi cover, setting her on fire (she is literally standing in a water fountain) -> dead, nothing I could possibly do. *sigh*

Think of it this way. If you didn't undertake the mission, you would be no better off, but your dudes will be no more experienced.

Failing a mission, assuming no casualties, doesn't get you reward but your dudes will gain experience. It is thus preferable to not even trying.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 7, 2016