Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I always make sure I rest before starting another job. With hour fast time passes, you only get a few minutes until you're tired again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

TjyvTompa posted:

Are you doing online contracts? You can't sleep during those. All other deliveries should be possible. Do you mean that you don't get enough time to complete a delivery including the driving and sleeping time?

Not playing online, just on my own with those mods. My problem is that I can't complete them on time, unless they are fairly short (as in, a maximum of 7-8 hundred km) and even with those, I have to speed and put off sleep completely to the point where I was being fined just before or after I finished the job for not sleeping. Anything over that was completely impossible if I slept at all.

^^^ I do this too, every time, but it hasn't helped :(

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You shouldn't have to rest before accepting a new job. The game will add sleepy time on top of whatever drive time it calculates for the distance regardless of whether you are fully rested or have half an hour before you collapse of exhaustion. Sounds like the modder(s) either doesn't know how to code that or decided that since they don't use the fatigue setting no one else does. It could of course also be some bug, does it work normally with the old parts of the map? :confused:

Poil fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 7, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Poil posted:

You shouldn't have to rest before accepting a new job. The game will add sleepy time on top of whatever drive time it calculates for the distance regardless of whether you are fully rested or have half an hour before you collapse of exhaustion. Sounds like the modder(s) either doesn't know how to code that or decided that since they don't use the fatigue setting no one else does. It could of course also be some bug, does it work normally with the old parts of the map? :confused:

Really? I took a job before and got to the point that the fatigue icon was solid red and my guy kept yawning every few seconds. I pulled in to rest and got penalized for being late when I delivered.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Only time I've been fined for driving tired/would've missed the drop off time when I rested is when I forgot to rest before starting a new job.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Really? I took a job before and got to the point that the fatigue icon was solid red and my guy kept yawning every few seconds. I pulled in to rest and got penalized for being late when I delivered.
Yes? I've never had that happened. As long as the delivery time is longer than the rest time when you take the job it should add enough time to rest. I'm very sure of it at least. The only time I've been fined for being late was when I accidentally slept twice.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

I always make sure I rest before starting another job. With hour fast time passes, you only get a few minutes until you're tired again.

That's what bugs me about fatigue too, it seems like you get tired way too fast, and it's more of a bother than interesting.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is it possible to mod the time limit?

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
The time limit is like over 8 hours of driving without stopping. Seems reasonable to me.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Magnetic North posted:

Heh, the one time I don't check back through the thread before asking, it is one page back.

The only thing I am still wondering is what is the 20K for? Just in case a job goes awry? Do you get in trouble if you have an interest payment and it puts you into debt? (I know in real life this would, but I don't know about the game.)

No worries :)

So, the $20k is mostly because I don't like seeing negative numbers (I like to pretend there are bad consequences for it, even though there aren't) and it's a safety cushion for about 2 days of loan payments, income losses when your drivers inexplicably can't find work, and a few crash tickets because of bullshit AI. It's also good practice for real life to not spend all your money :v:

Really you don't absolutely have to pay attention to that because there's no negative consequences for going in the red, but sometimes you have to make your own rules to keep the game vaguely challenging.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Poil posted:

Is it possible to mod the time limit?

The time between sleeping? Yes. There is a console variable for how long you can stay up (and how long you sleep),

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

santanotreal posted:

The time limit is like over 8 hours of driving without stopping. Seems reasonable to me.
Me, too (as in I've never had a problem with it) but as another "in case you don't know" thing, press F6 and your GPS will tell you both how much time you have until they're expecting the shipment, and how much time until the game things you need to rest.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Poil posted:

Ding ding ding

Though I can't say for sure for every map mod, but apparently for Promods and TSM that was pretty much it.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

santanotreal posted:

Reasonable in an ethical sense, yes, reasonable in a practical sense, absolutely not. If it were to be realistic, I'd imagine it would hover around 12 hours give or take 2 hours, and that is from experience talking to former truckers I worked with. Some have said that at times they drove 16-17 hours and slept the time they weren't driving.

That might be the problem. They might want to simulate the ideal rather than the reality, and that's why we have to sleep all the time. On that note, (and I know this sounds ridiculous) I'd love a mod that could add the option to pop pills to avoid sleep with the possibility of heavy fines if caught. The jobs could adjust to that with the urgent ones being very well paying but only being achievable with pharmaceutical enhancements. In the end, it's a simulator and I like the idea of not shying away from the issues and problems endemic to the industry.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Just started. So far so okay, I like some of the new parking features and it sure is pretty. I can't put my finger on it though but there's a little bit of the feel of ETS2 thats missing at the moment. I haven't zenned out mid drive yet.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Mr Scumbag posted:

Reasonable in an ethical sense, yes, reasonable in a practical sense, absolutely not. If it were to be realistic, I'd imagine it would hover around 12 hours give or take 2 hours, and that is from experience talking to former truckers I worked with. Some have said that at times they drove 16-17 hours and slept the time they weren't driving.

Truckers doing that is the reason trucking is so regulated. So it doesn't really matter what people can realistically handle at a maximum. Keep in mind my 8 hours was an estimate, and I'm pretty sure it's more than that. (I just looked it up and saw that it is around 11 hours.)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Fatigue seems to set in so fast because time passes by so fast in game. Every time i get into the zone, the route is over and I have to park the truck. There are even times where I spend a couple minutes after resting checking my stats and dealing with any repairs. By the time that's done, my fatigue is halfway filled and I might as well rest again to avoid being late on a job.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Fatigue seems to set in so fast because time passes by so fast in game. Every time i get into the zone, the route is over and I have to park the truck.

This is what bugs me. Yeah, it's realistic, with the time warp and all, but it hinders the fun. They could just have an extra option for fatigue or something? I just have it disabled, so I don't much know.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I think fudging logbooks and taking these is outside the scope of the game.

I'll see if I can futz around with some stuff and make a mod that has adjusted times or something.

Edit: I think I figured out where to do this. Default is 14 hours of driving before you have to stop. What values would people like? I can test this out a bit and put up a few different options.

ssb fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 7, 2016

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

it doesn't matter because it is hard-coded into the game to take the rest time (and the time to your next rest break) into account when plotting how long to set the required route time (as well as the chance of it being normal/rush/urgent depending on your Just In Time skill). It also assumes a set "average" speed for the runs, 62km/h aka 39mph.

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 7, 2016

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Kilonum posted:

it doesn't matter because it is hard-coded into the game to take the rest time (and the time to your next rest break) into account when plotting how long to set the required route time (as well as the chance of it being normal/rush/urgent depending on your Just In Time skill). It also assumes a set "average" speed for the runs, 62km/h aka 39mph.

I know, but some people (Cojawfee, Serperoth, probably others) seem to prefer to sleep less while still having to do so. I believe I've found where to set the time you can go without sleeping (it wasn't hard to find) and I'm just offering to make some other options for those who like the fatigue mechanic but wish it wasn't as frequent as it is. I'm not 100% sure it'll work but I'll give it a go when I have a moment.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
I was bored on a stretch of I-5 and did some calculations on how fast the odometer ticks down verses real life time, at 55 mph in game. The result, it takes 19 seconds to go 10 miles, or approximately 2.5 times the speed of sound. I also calculated the speed verses in game time and it actually matches up. That said, I did notice that if you are parked, game time seems to move significantly slower than if you were moving, and it might not have been moving at all. So I wonder if game time is calculated based off the truck speed.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Solvency posted:

I was bored on a stretch of I-5 and did some calculations on how fast the odometer ticks down verses real life time, at 55 mph in game. The result, it takes 19 seconds to go 10 miles, or approximately 2.5 times the speed of sound. I also calculated the speed verses in game time and it actually matches up. That said, I did notice that if you are parked, game time seems to move significantly slower than if you were moving, and it might not have been moving at all. So I wonder if game time is calculated based off the truck speed.

Sort of, and it also compresses less in cities.

nerox
May 20, 2001
I would spend like 3 days parking sometimes if the time compression was always the same. :v:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

nerox posted:

I would spend like 3 days parking sometimes if the time compression was always the same. :v:

I don't know boss, that guy's been out there for a few days.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

3 days waiting for that rear end in a top hat in front of you to turn left at a junction.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

I know, but some people (Cojawfee, Serperoth, probably others) seem to prefer to sleep less while still having to do so. I believe I've found where to set the time you can go without sleeping (it wasn't hard to find) and I'm just offering to make some other options for those who like the fatigue mechanic but wish it wasn't as frequent as it is. I'm not 100% sure it'll work but I'll give it a go when I have a moment.

I'm going to be difficult and say that I'm happy enough with the sleep intervals, but would prefer they don't eat up so many hours when you actually sleep. I'd say halve the sleep time and see how that goes, if possible.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Mr Scumbag posted:

I'm going to be difficult and say that I'm happy enough with the sleep intervals, but would prefer they don't eat up so many hours when you actually sleep. I'd say halve the sleep time and see how that goes, if possible.

That should be doable as well. The current limits are 14 hours of driving, 10 hours of sleep. I'll make a test with 18 hours of driving and 6 hours of sleep just to see if it works. I may not get to this today as I have to get ready for superb owl party.

Edit: I had time to make the mod as it takes 20 seconds. I ust don't have time to test. Please download and test this, it should give an 18 hour drive time and a 6 hour sleep: http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~stefan/18drive_6sleep.scs

If it works I'll make a variety and nicen them up a bit with a picture and manifest and such, same with my police mod. Make a couple variations. Please download and let me know if that works, it should. It may conflict with any number of mods, I need to see if I can split just those variables out.

ssb fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 7, 2016

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
The thing that confuses me about this talk of mods messing up the time you have to complete a delivery is: doesn't the game calculate that based on the distance and speed limits involved? Or is that a separate array of numbers from the map data?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

FredMSloniker posted:

The thing that confuses me about this talk of mods messing up the time you have to complete a delivery is: doesn't the game calculate that based on the distance and speed limits involved? Or is that a separate array of numbers from the map data?

The modders have a habit of loving around with the time compression settings in different areas (ProMods does this alot), in practice you'll hardly notice it in the game but certain areas have more and less compression than standard. All of these changes end up having a knock on effect on the calculations the game makes.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Is there a mod for ETS2 that lets you sleep however long you want? I have fatigue disabled and like to play in daylight so I can see the landscape, so I'd like to wake up right before sunrise.

edit: Actually I think I can do this with the dev console g_set_time 5

Stick Insect fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 7, 2016

RockNRoll Jesus
Jan 3, 2008

FIND YOUR GOD FUCKING FLASH DRIVE
Took a load from coastal LA to Jackpot. That was one hell of a drive. I can't wait for the future where you have to go from San Diego to Oklahoma City or some poo poo. I also like how in Nevada there are little towns that aren't on the map. I don't know if they are in Cali or not because that's mostly freeway. Speaking of Cali once the game gets fleshed out I'll probably avoid it because of it's ridiculous 55 MPH speed limit (I'm one of those tools that likes to follow traffic rules).

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

HardDisk posted:

Ding ding ding

Though I can't say for sure for every map mod, but apparently for Promods and TSM that was pretty much it.

I literally never ever had late job with PM even with 2000km jobs. Where is this misinformation coming from :confused:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

RockNRoll Jesus posted:

Took a load from coastal LA to Jackpot. That was one hell of a drive. I can't wait for the future where you have to go from San Diego to Oklahoma City or some poo poo. I also like how in Nevada there are little towns that aren't on the map. I don't know if they are in Cali or not because that's mostly freeway. Speaking of Cali once the game gets fleshed out I'll probably avoid it because of it's ridiculous 55 MPH speed limit (I'm one of those tools that likes to follow traffic rules).

Cops don't enforce the 55mph speed limit for trucks, in game or (mostly) IRL. :v: I see rigs going down I-80 between SF and Sac at regular traffic speed all the time.

Can't wait for the workshop support to be added, I can't be arsed to deal with mods without it. And for the World of Trucks functionality to get added.

Also, Kenworth vs Peterbilt? Gonna buy a truck soon.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I loving hate california.

Also why is there a massive rubber duck here.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Cops don't enforce the 55mph speed limit for trucks, in game or (mostly) IRL. :v: I see rigs going down I-80 between SF and Sac at regular traffic speed all the time.

Can't wait for the workshop support to be added, I can't be arsed to deal with mods without it. And for the World of Trucks functionality to get added.

Also, Kenworth vs Peterbilt? Gonna buy a truck soon.

The best thing to do is just do quick jobs in different trucks to find out what you like, then decide. I have a Kenworth which I hated. I bought a Peterbilt and I like it.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Is there anything special about mod load order? I've been trying to Jazzycat's mods to work, but it crashes when I exit the menu screen. The only mods I'm running are they traffic ai mod, cargo/trailers mod, and a winter weather mod.

e: For ETS2.

track day bro! posted:

Also why is there a massive rubber duck here.

I think it's based on the sculpture by Florentijn Hofman.

Ergo Propter Hog fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 7, 2016

RockNRoll Jesus
Jan 3, 2008

FIND YOUR GOD FUCKING FLASH DRIVE
They are more or less the same. Pick the one with your favorite dashboard and window configuration. I roll Peterbuilt myself.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

The best thing to do is just do quick jobs in different trucks to find out what you like, then decide. I have a Kenworth which I hated. I bought a Peterbilt and I like it.
Yes. But why anyone would wish to soil their butt by planting it inside a peterbilt is something I will never understand. :colbert:

My opinion might change after I buy my own truck however. I just can't get around to it yet as my appalling driving skills would make it impossible to afford the daily interest after fines, repair and fines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Is there a mod that adds Finland to the Scandinavia maps? It feels weird having it just missing in a giant black abyss.