Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What do you suppose a poor condition hard top for the NA/NB is worth? Its got defroster hardware installed, the rubbery heardliner. Glass all instact. It just looks like poo poo from the outside. Lots of scratches and great big ole rough spots in the paint. I was hoping to get $500?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
At least 800 dollars if it has the mounting hardware solid and intact. Paint condition almost does not matter.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

craig588 posted:

At least 800 dollars if it has the mounting hardware solid and intact. Paint condition almost does not matter.

What if the weather stripping looks bad? Also, best place to sell?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

obeyasia posted:

What if the weather stripping looks bad? Also, best place to sell?

It can be repainted, and replacing the weather stripping is probably an easy job. As long as it's not broken in half or leaking or whatever, it'll sell just fine. If nobody wants it here (or in SA Mart) then Craigs will probably be your best bet unless you want to deal with the m.net mutants. You could also find a local Miata club and I'm sure somebody will take it.

Do you have some photos you could share with us so we can see just how bad you think it looks?

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
15 hours in on rollbar install and ONE bolt doesn't line up. I have all the backing plates fastened and somehow the drivers side seatbelt tower is off a few mm. Think it'd be ok to slot the top hole in the rollbar enough so the bolt fits straight, or should I really loosen everything up again and try to massage it into place?

King-Kong
Oct 15, 2003
Leader of the Apes

King of all Machines Operate posted:

15 hours in on rollbar install and ONE bolt doesn't line up. I have all the backing plates fastened and somehow the drivers side seatbelt tower is off a few mm. Think it'd be ok to slot the top hole in the rollbar enough so the bolt fits straight, or should I really loosen everything up again and try to massage it into place?

Did you tighten all the bolts already? Perhaps that's why this one is off. Lower them all down at the same time slowly so it doesn't get misaligned?

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
I did a slightly different looking roll bar but I just very loosely threaded the bolts before tightening anything, and even then it required a bit wiggling around. Tightening some bolts up at first and it would never have fit.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

King of all Machines Operate posted:

Has your car ever been in an accident? I would loosen everything off and try to get the bolt in without notching anything. A prybar might help. You shouldn't tighten any of the bolts down until all the bolts are in, you'll have the most play this way.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Atomizer posted:

It can be repainted, and replacing the weather stripping is probably an easy job. As long as it's not broken in half or leaking or whatever, it'll sell just fine. If nobody wants it here (or in SA Mart) then Craigs will probably be your best bet unless you want to deal with the m.net mutants. You could also find a local Miata club and I'm sure somebody will take it.

Do you have some photos you could share with us so we can see just how bad you think it looks?

I took some pictures and put them in an imgur gallery for you.

http://imgur.com/a/eSS4h

This thing it totally for sale, someone please make me a reasonable offer!
I am in Birmingham, AL 35205. You'll have to come pick it up. Cash only.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
How much do NA cars go for in other parts of the country? I'm looking at picking up a pre-OBD2 Miata for a rotary swap in the next year or so, but the salt we get skews the pricepoint.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

obeyasia posted:

Ok, I see what you mean, but it's not that bad. It's a functioning Miata hardtop, so that's all that really matters. The next person to repaint it will have to replace the weather stripping anyway.

You replacing the car too?

mekilljoydammit posted:

How much do NA cars go for in other parts of the country? I'm looking at picking up a pre-OBD2 Miata for a rotary swap in the next year or so, but the salt we get skews the pricepoint.

I guess you could check prices in nicer areas of the country where Miatas last longer, but you have to leverage the cost of transporting the vehicle, and 20+ year old Miatas aren't that expensive to begin with. I dunno, maybe check Florida for prices?

Let us know how the rotary project goes though! :swoon:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

mekilljoydammit posted:

I'm in Ohio and I've seen them go for $2500 to $5k. I think I've seen as high as 6k though.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Atomizer posted:

I guess you could check prices in nicer areas of the country where Miatas last longer, but you have to leverage the cost of transporting the vehicle, and 20+ year old Miatas aren't that expensive to begin with. I dunno, maybe check Florida for prices?

Let us know how the rotary project goes though! :swoon:

Yeah, it's more of a "... okay, I'm familiar with what a cheap Miata costs and how bad it is around here, what goes wrong in places where they don't rust?" kinda thing. Ideal would be selling the stock 1.6/1.8 after I get it home, if there's any market.

I know the rotary Miata has been done before, but given what I know about building rotaries it just seems like such an obvious thing to do, and a perfect backroad attack summer car.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

obeyasia posted:

If you're selling the strikers and have the latches you can get $800 on craigslist pretty easy. I have someone picking up mine for $1300 with the mounting hardware included.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

mekilljoydammit posted:

Yeah, it's more of a "... okay, I'm familiar with what a cheap Miata costs and how bad it is around here, what goes wrong in places where they don't rust?" kinda thing. Ideal would be selling the stock 1.6/1.8 after I get it home, if there's any market.

I've lived in Chiraq all my life, but someone said that in hotter, drier parts of the country, even though they don't have to worry about salt and rust, the paint fades badly on cars down there.

I'm sure someone will buy the original motor (+trans?) but don't expect all that much for it.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Atomizer posted:

I've lived in Chiraq all my life, but someone said that in hotter, drier parts of the country, even though they don't have to worry about salt and rust, the paint fades badly on cars down there.

I'm sure someone will buy the original motor (+trans?) but don't expect all that much for it.

If the car was left in direct sunlight its whole life, or majority of it, you can see the paint fade significantly. Simply garaging it or using a car port will stop the fade from occurring.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Follow up on the belt chirp: tightening the belt significantly reduced the loudness of the chirp but it still happens. Probably just going to have to deal with it until I can afford to replace the compressor.

So, until the car falls apart/is sold. :v:

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Great Beer posted:

Follow up on the belt chirp: tightening the belt significantly reduced the loudness of the chirp but it still happens. Probably just going to have to deal with it until I can afford to replace the compressor.

So, until the car falls apart/is sold. :v:

Did you use a belt gauge like a krikit or something? My belt used to chirp because it was hilariously loose (like, off the bottom of the scale) but still somehow worked. It took a ton of tightening to get it to factory spec.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
It also could be a bad belt. Even brands you'd expect would have a higher level of quality control end up with bad belts. I had a Goodyear one once that wouldn't stop stretching and eventually it reached the limit of how much you were able to adjust the tensioner.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah if it's a cheap belt go spend the money and get a high quality premium belt by Dayco or Goodyear. I bought a cheap alt belt (5 bucks) for my protege and it made all kinds of noise, took it back and got a premium Dayco for 15 bucks and it's buttery smooth, never going to cheap out on belts again.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Cat Hatter posted:

Did you use a belt gauge like a krikit or something? My belt used to chirp because it was hilariously loose (like, off the bottom of the scale) but still somehow worked. It took a ton of tightening to get it to factory spec.

I used the Mk.1 Torque Gauge (my arm and a socket wrench) and tightened it about a 1/4 turn at a time until it stopped making as much noise. I couldn't fit my cheapshit torque wrench in there so I don't know what it's tightened to. If/when the belt breaks I'll get some nicer belts (and an extension for my wrench) and do it properly. It's probably got some crappy autozone brand belts right now.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Great Beer posted:

I used the Mk.1 Torque Gauge (my arm and a socket wrench) and tightened it about a 1/4 turn at a time until it stopped making as much noise. I couldn't fit my cheapshit torque wrench in there so I don't know what it's tightened to. If/when the belt breaks I'll get some nicer belts (and an extension for my wrench) and do it properly. It's probably got some crappy autozone brand belts right now.

Yeah for serious get a Gates or Dayco.

I spent loving weeks loosening and tightening accessory belts trying to get it to stop chirping until I just switched both out for good belts.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Dameius posted:

If the car was left in direct sunlight its whole life, or majority of it, you can see the paint fade significantly. Simply garaging it or using a car port will stop the fade from occurring.

Yeah, but I'm saying this doesn't end up being an issue where I live, yet I'm told further South it's a much bigger deal. Contrast this with how our cars rust out and theirs don't. Maybe the cars around here don't last long enough to have faded paint, or if they do last, they've ultimately been garaged through the worst parts of the year and have to worry about neither the rust nor the paint. :shrug:

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Chriskory posted:

Seems like a non-issue. Maybe try to disconnect the batt. and reset the ECU.

I am curious about how you cleaned the MAF.
Did the MAF wires seem dirty, did you only clean the IAT part? It's two sensors in one, cleaning the wrong part won't give the right effect.

edit- you'd really need a sensor value to see if that's the issue, how did the throttle body look?

I hosed down both sides of that tube with MAF cleaner and also cleaned the pins connecting it to the vehicle wiring harness. The throttle body was a bit dirty but I cleaned that too. I think I will use an OBD reader and use Torque to see what is happening with it.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Great Beer posted:

Go get one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MUTAGS/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_nPoTwb12JKV7

Put your finger in the little loop, push the little plastic arm on the left down, and then press the whole assembly against the belt where the arrow is on the following diagram (depending on the belt you're reading and if you have power steering or not):

Push down until it clicks. The belt deflection will push the plastic arm up and where it crosses the metal is the current tension of the belt. Tighten the tension adjuster and retest until the gauge reads between 43 and 50 95 and 110 pounds, per the awful chart on the above image.

I'd never used a belt tensioner either, but this (actually the version that goes up to 300lbs for serpentine belts) was recommended in the Jeep thread and its so cheap and easy to use I wish I had gotten one earlier.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
I'm back! Picked up this 97 with 18x,xxx miles for 1700 a few days ago. Completely stock, runs well but needs a complete refreshing and checkup.. and brakes... and suspension.. First NA and I think I already like it more than my NB.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
My friend test drove and bought an ND Club today. MSRP 29550 with keyless entry. They gave him a 1k discount without too much hassle, probably had more give. This was in Boston (Wellesley Mazda).
He was just so into it that I couldn't slow his roll any. I thought it was a great car, just not one I would buy new. There's not another roadster new that is anything close to the Miata.

More driving impressions:
- shifter is too soft and easy for my liking. That might be cuz I've gotten used to the 348's shifter, though?
- pedal box space was good, even in my big not-for-driving sneakers
- clutch was numb but had good modulation
- seat could have been a little lower. I didn't have any vision issues; I just prefer to be really low in the car
- steering is slightly on the light side, but lends the right delicate feel to the car
- suspension is a good compromise. I wouldn't have minded if it were stiffer, though
- the ratio jump from 1 to 2 was pretty dramatic, but I think it's worth the acceleration off the line
- decent enough oomph in the motor,
- though it sounds pedestrian. I hope an exhaust can fix it, as all the noise was coming from the front
- I got thrown by the single center latch for the top. Did the NCs have that?
- seat was unremarkable, but I liked the strong texture on the cloth
- everything I liked about my NA is still here, which is super important and admirable of Mazda

If I were in the market for a roadster and could get an NC Club for <$15k, that's probably what I'd do. I don't mind the bubbly look of the NC, and I don't think I need the car to be razor sharp handling-wise.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
NC2 GT or NC3 club or GT are definitely the best bargain in miata-dom right now, but the ND is a better car.

PRHT NC has the single center latch, not sure on the soft top

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

yeah as an owner for 5 weeks, ratio jump from 1 to 2 gets annoying, and the seat height can be bad. I'm 5'10 and still feel I need to have the seat back a couple clicks further back than ideal, and also tilt the backrest all the way back. it's totally fine for me but you have visibility issues due to the mirror being right in your face otherwise.

just drove it from SF bay to SLO california, and to some beaches today in 75deg weather. really fun.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The soft top NC is a single center latch too and the shifter feels great and the clutch isn't numb. You can get one in the price range you stated you were interested.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

crutt posted:

I'm back! Picked up this 97 with 18x,xxx miles for 1700 a few days ago. Completely stock, runs well but needs a complete refreshing and checkup.. and brakes... and suspension.. First NA and I think I already like it more than my NB.

That is a smoking deal and I'm a little jelly.

Mr Tall
May 6, 2009
UK MX5 goon de-lurking here.

2001 1.8 s-vt sport, recently developed a whirring bearing-type noise that went away with the slightest touch of the clutch pedal.

gently caress, I thought. Sounds like it could be the release bearing (I think you guys call it a throw-out bearing?).

Anyway, someone said it might be the joint between the clutch lever and the slave cylinder pushrod rubbing and making the noise. Somewhat skeptically, I pulled the front driver's side wheel, and applied a big gently caress off blob of grease to the aforementioned joint.

Rather surprisingly, the noise went away. Apparently I don't need to get the clutch done, yay! Now all I need to do is fix the bloody leaking roof, change the brakes, timing belt and all the accessory belts... easy right?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I had a dream that you could in fact dismiss and tuck the screen on the ND, so I guess I can a subconscious beef with that.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Finally got some disposable income and I want to replace the curb rashed wheels on my 2002 LS. What size wheel will give the best performance? I know 15x8's are popular on the forums but I remember discussing snowtires on here and someone said that most 15's wont fit due to the brake calipers.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
They're actually in stock right now, so get them while you can http://949racing.com/15x8-6UL.aspx They'll clear most big brake kits, but if you're using something significantly bigger than the OEM sport brakes check before ordering.

If you want something cheaper, but not as well tested, these are an option too. http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/61-1386.html They're made on a much more regular schedule than 6ULs so there's no rush to order them.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 8, 2016

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Are Rota wheels any good? I really love the look of the Rota Grid V's.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Rota is pretty much the bottom of the barrel in terms of weight and strength. They're always cited as the generic low end wheel brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Yeah don't buy rotas