Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Two things:

One, is there anywhere that makes borosilicate glassware for baking and/or storage, that doesn't involve garage sales? I like the idea of the baking dishes with the plastic lids (as well as the other shapes), and was looking for a set, but it seems the soda lime has a lot of problems. I have some random soda lime pieces but was looking for something better.

Second, what's the closest approximation to a bread like this, or a specific recipe for a similar loaf? I've tried making similar but they aren't coming out quite right, and I'm not sure exactly what the technique is for texture like that. If I do ice water and chill it ends up way too light and airy, like a pan l'ancienne, and if it sits at room temperature it's a sort of uniform texture. Additionally, I don't really have a recipe that specifically makes something like it.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Feb 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Trying out the FoodWishes deluxe nacho recipe. The steak is burning but raw in the middle and there is now a very stinging smoke in the house.

I guess I'll try medium low next time.

Edit: hey, maybe I secretly have the sort of range that can properly heat a wok!

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Feb 7, 2016

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

PRADA SLUT posted:

Two things:

One, is there anywhere that makes borosilicate glassware for baking and/or storage, that doesn't involve garage sales? I like the idea of the baking dishes with the plastic lids (as well as the other shapes), and was looking for a set, but it seems the soda lime has a lot of problems. I have some random soda lime pieces but was looking for something better.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s?k=simax+borosilicate+oval

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 7, 2016

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Did we have a Superbowl thread this year?

I have some left over shredded chicken from making soup, and my party guests have demanded "buffalo chicken dip". Any recipes?
I already have some Franks on hand, so I think I can cobble this together on my own, but I thought someone might have a good recipe.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

The Ferret King posted:

Trying out the FoodWishes deluxe nacho recipe. The steak is burning but raw in the middle and there is now a very stinging smoke in the house.

I guess I'll try medium low next time.

Edit: hey, maybe I secretly have the sort of range that can properly heat a wok!

Sounds like possibly you did not allow your steak to come to room temp before cooking it?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Squashy Nipples posted:

I have some left over shredded chicken from making soup, and my party guests have demanded "buffalo chicken dip". Any recipes?
I already have some Franks on hand, so I think I can cobble this together on my own, but I thought someone might have a good recipe.

Cream cheese, some sharp cheddar, Frank's and the shredded chicken get combined in a small baking dish. Bake at 350 until it's hot and bubbly, serve with Fritos or tortilla chips.

I think the Frank's bottle actually has this recipe on it, which you might want to check because I'm not sure how much Frank's you want to use exactly. Regardless it's dead simple and your guests probably don't need you to make anything outrageous if they're asking for buffalo chicken dip.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
so I am making red beans and rice tonight for the game (6:30) and I'm a boner who forgot to soak his beans.

how much will this gently caress my cook time and is there anything (boiling now? etc) I can do to somewhat mitigate that in time for kick off? I think the soak is just to clean and draw out some of the stuff that gives you gas but I am not sure so I ask you guys.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

THE MACHO MAN posted:

so I am making red beans and rice tonight for the game (6:30) and I'm a boner who forgot to soak his beans.

how much will this gently caress my cook time and is there anything (boiling now? etc) I can do to somewhat mitigate that in time for kick off? I think the soak is just to clean and draw out some of the stuff that gives you gas but I am not sure so I ask you guys.

Bring the beans up to a full boil in a fair excess of water, boil them for 10m, drain and wash them in a collander and then dump them back into your pot and cook as needed until tender.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570811#post419606692

Natenater
Apr 28, 2009
Anyone happen to have access to the sesame chicken recipe that used to be on the wiki?, can't seem to find it anymore.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Lawnie posted:

Cream cheese, some sharp cheddar, Frank's and the shredded chicken get combined in a small baking dish. Bake at 350 until it's hot and bubbly, serve with Fritos or tortilla chips.

I think the Frank's bottle actually has this recipe on it, which you might want to check because I'm not sure how much Frank's you want to use exactly. Regardless it's dead simple and your guests probably don't need you to make anything outrageous if they're asking for buffalo chicken dip.

... no blue cheese?

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)
How do you guys do hot wings?

I'm thinking of doing Alton Brown's steam, than bake method - but I got that idea from a good eats episode like ten years ago. Have there been chicken wing innovations in the interim?

A Tasteful Nude fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 7, 2016

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Squashy Nipples posted:

... no blue cheese?

If you want it I'd crumble on top. It's gonna be sour enough with the Franks in there.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Squashy Nipples posted:

... no blue cheese?

I'm not particularly fond of blue cheese but as the above poster said, perhaps you would want to serve some of that on the side.

I have my own question, can anyone suggest an alternative to salt pork in the Serious Eats cassoulet recipe posted recently? My butcher didn't have any yesterday and in case they don't have any today, I need a backup. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/10/traditional-french-cassoulet-recipe.html

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

That Works posted:

Bring the beans up to a full boil in a fair excess of water, boil them for 10m, drain and wash them in a collander and then dump them back into your pot and cook as needed until tender.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570811#post419606692

awesome, thank you very much

A Tasteful Nude posted:

How do you guys do hot wings?

I'm thinking of doing Alton Brown's steam, than bake method - but I got that idea from a good eats episode like ten years ago. Have there been chicken wing innovations in the interim?

serious eats has a big thing on it. A little pressed for time atm, but it should be a quick google. It was basically prebake a little, freeze, then fry. The trick to good wings is crispy blistered skin and the freezing apparently helps that. I've never actually tried because I'm an impatient fatty, but others have and said it works.

my at home method without a proper deep fryer has always been alternate bake-fry-bake-fry. baking helps precook a little and beat up the skin. Unfortunately frying at home in a pot you do not have the heat consistency of a deep fryer. Basically if you don't have a thermometer, put a wooden spoon in. If bubbles come off, it's hot enough. You have to fry in small batches or it will get wildly inconsistent, which you don't want.

I've done that a bunch and it compares favorably to the wing joint I work at so there's that

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Sous vide the wings to break down connective tissue. Individually freeze them on baking sheets. Fry the hell out of them.

I toss them in a mixture of Frank's and butter with garlic and a few drops of Worcestershire.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Chemmy posted:

Sous vide the wings to break down connective tissue. Individually freeze them on baking sheets. Fry the hell out of them.

I toss them in a mixture of Frank's and butter with garlic and a few drops of Worcestershire.

Yeah sous vide or confit the wings, freeze and then fry. That's what I do

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

Sounds like possibly you did not allow your steak to come to room temp before cooking it?

It sat out for an hour or two. But also, our revered Serious Eats says that doing so isn't necessary anyway.

I'm just a moron when it comes to setting temperature because it's hard and I don't get it. It took about an hour to get two halves of the steak up to medium/medium-well.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

THE MACHO MAN posted:

awesome, thank you very much

serious eats has a big thing on it. A little pressed for time atm, but it should be a quick google. It was basically prebake a little, freeze, then fry. The trick to good wings is crispy blistered skin and the freezing apparently helps that. I've never actually tried because I'm an impatient fatty, but others have and said it works.

I'm trying this method today: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/02/the-best-buffalo-wings-oven-fried-wings-recipe.html

Basically, its toss them with baking powder and chill in the fridge overnight; bake until crispy.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Since I'm continually having problems with pan temperature, I'm watching as much as I can find on YouTube on the topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8FM2ol2kTI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ls2B0P8sXw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB-SCA1reqE

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
We talked about this a while ago in the abstract, but: I have several pounds of chicken thighs and I want to turn them into general-use meat and part them out and freeze them so I can use it in a variety of ways. How, specifically, should I do this? I had a few pounds of chuck roast and I ended up just making pot roast out of them, and didn't feel like I could use them in a diverse range of dishes because of the tomatoes and whatnot giving them a specific flavor profile. Ideally I'd like to shred them but I can just chop it up if that's the best plan. I have a well-equipped general-purpose kitchen, but not a slow cooker or pressure cooker, so I assume this will probably involve the oven.

I imagine this is going to be super simple but I need an actual list of steps. If I had to muddle through on my own I would probably just toss them with olive oil and salt and pepper and roast them in the oven somewhere in the low 200sF range until they met the FDA recommendation for safe internal temperature but I don't know if that's the way to go.

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003

Squashy Nipples posted:

The Frank's bottle does indeed have the recipe on it.

8 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup franks
1/2 cup blue cheese
1/2 cup blue cheese dressing
Shredded chicken

Mix, bake 350F ~20 min

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

guppy posted:

We talked about this a while ago in the abstract, but: I have several pounds of chicken thighs and I want to turn them into general-use meat and part them out and freeze them so I can use it in a variety of ways.

Are you wanting to pre-cook the whole batch and make it microwave ready, or are you willing to do a bit more of a fry-up? Honestly, I've just de-boned individual thighs and popped them into a baggie a piece. Then I have the individual thighs ready for whatever I want to do. I use heavy-duty ziplock bags too, as I wash and re-use them several times.

Individual chicken thighs only take like an hour to defrost as well.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Suspect Bucket posted:

Are you wanting to pre-cook the whole batch and make it microwave ready, or are you willing to do a bit more of a fry-up? Honestly, I've just de-boned individual thighs and popped them into a baggie a piece. Then I have the individual thighs ready for whatever I want to do. I use heavy-duty ziplock bags too, as I wash and re-use them several times.

Individual chicken thighs only take like an hour to defrost as well.

I want to cook them all, but generally not just "microwave and eat." I roasted a pork shoulder before the snowstorm and froze it in 2-cup quantities in tupperware, and then I could use those in other ways. For example, I sauteed some onions and chiles and spices and whatnot and added the shredded pork to the pan to heat through for a few minutes, and then put them in tortillas with a few fixings for tacos. Other containers I tossed with barbecue sauce and put on kaiser rolls, other containers I used with a sauce based on soy sauce and ate over rice. Stuff like that. My goal is pre-portioned amounts that I can take out of the freezer and use in versatile ways.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

guppy posted:

I want to cook them all, but generally not just "microwave and eat." I roasted a pork shoulder before the snowstorm and froze it in 2-cup quantities in tupperware, and then I could use those in other ways. For example, I sauteed some onions and chiles and spices and whatnot and added the shredded pork to the pan to heat through for a few minutes, and then put them in tortillas with a few fixings for tacos. Other containers I tossed with barbecue sauce and put on kaiser rolls, other containers I used with a sauce based on soy sauce and ate over rice. Stuff like that. My goal is pre-portioned amounts that I can take out of the freezer and use in versatile ways.

Throw em on a sheet pan and roast at 350 for like 30-45 until cooked.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Gerblyn posted:

I like adding leeks to my fried potatoes for some extra flavour.

Potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 leek, white part only, cleaned and chopped
3tbsp of butter, divided
salt

Peel and chop the potatoes, and place in boiling salted water. Cook until a fork passes through them, should take 15-20 minutes depending on how small you chopped the potatoes
While the potatoes are cooking, fry the leeks in about 1tbsp of the butter, over a low temperature for about 15 minutes
Drain the potatoes, reserving a little of the cooking liquid and put them in a bowl
Add the rest of the butter and about 3tbsp of the cooking liquid, and mash it up.
Add the leaks, as well as any remaining butter from the pan to the potatoes and mash it all together.
Add salt and pepper to taste

Cooked this tonight but instead of making a mash I pan fried the potatoes, chucked in some peas, finished with dill and cream cheese. Went down a treat!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Tots posted:

Throw em on a sheet pan and roast at 350 for like 30-45 until cooked.

Thanks, I'm glad I asked then. Do I need to put anything on them first or just straight out of the fridge into the oven?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Hawkeye posted:

The Frank's bottle does indeed have the recipe on it.

8 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup franks
1/2 cup blue cheese
1/2 cup blue cheese dressing
Shredded chicken

Mix, bake 350F ~20 min

Thanks.

But I don't have blue cheese dressing, and the blue cheese I have was expensive. So instead I raided the fridge and made a tex-mex chicken dip. I had some left over beans, and some habanero-tomato salsa that Mrs. Squashy had made. It was yummy.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Anyone have a good venison summer sausage recipe? Or a thread where that question would go?

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

guppy posted:

Thanks, I'm glad I asked then. Do I need to put anything on them first or just straight out of the fridge into the oven?

If you're using it for general purpose meat then you don't need to do anything. You can season later as appropriate.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Really dumb question, when marinating sirloin for grilling I ran a little experiment this morning, I cut the steak in half and stuck one half in a bag that was vacuum seal able. I added the marinaded and than vacuum sealed it. Will it make any difference at all?

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Flaggy posted:

Really dumb question, when marinating sirloin for grilling I ran a little experiment this morning, I cut the steak in half and stuck one half in a bag that was vacuum seal able. I added the marinaded and than vacuum sealed it. Will it make any difference at all?

That's a great question/experiment! My guess is yes if for nothing else than increased surface area. Report results :).

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tots posted:

That's a great question/experiment! My guess is yes if for nothing else than increased surface area. Report results :).

Will do, right now they have been marinating for 8 hours. 1/2 is vacuumed and the other 1/2 of the steak is in a regular ziploc with no vacuum. Grilling them in 2 hours.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Flaggy posted:

Unless you're using a commercial vacuum tumbler or something, you are unlikely to notice a marked difference after marinading and before cooking, and very unlikely to notice anything at all after cooking.

It is worth reiterating that the purpose of marinating is not to disperse salt throughout the meat prior to cooking, and virtually no marinating processes do so. The purpose of marinating is to deposit salt on the surface of the meat, for later diffusion throughout the meat during cooking. Except in cases where you're not planning on cooking the meat at all, or you're planning on cooking it very quickly or incompletely (think of something like tuna tataki) you don't need to diffuse the marinade (or rather the salt in it---the other stuff generally does not penetrate deeply into the meat in any conditions) during the marinating because that gets done during cooking.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Flaggy posted:

Will do, right now they have been marinating for 8 hours. 1/2 is vacuumed and the other 1/2 of the steak is in a regular ziploc with no vacuum. Grilling them in 2 hours.

You have someone to do a blind test on?

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tots posted:

You have someone to do a blind test on?

I did a blind taste test with the wife. She said the one not sealed was more flavorful but the one that was vacuum sealed was more tender. So take from that what you will. I agree with the above poster. I couldn't really tell the difference.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

SubG posted:

Unless you're using a commercial vacuum tumbler or something, you are unlikely to notice a marked difference after marinading and before cooking, and very unlikely to notice anything at all after cooking.

It is worth reiterating that the purpose of marinating is not to disperse salt throughout the meat prior to cooking, and virtually no marinating processes do so. The purpose of marinating is to deposit salt on the surface of the meat, for later diffusion throughout the meat during cooking. Except in cases where you're not planning on cooking the meat at all, or you're planning on cooking it very quickly or incompletely (think of something like tuna tataki) you don't need to diffuse the marinade (or rather the salt in it---the other stuff generally does not penetrate deeply into the meat in any conditions) during the marinating because that gets done during cooking.

Isn't part of the marinading process related to acid in the marinade breaking down/cooking the protein? I was under the impression that that was the reason you had to let the stuff sit around for so long.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I've got about a cup of a goat cheese / sour cream / fresh roasted red pepper mix that was used with buffalo wings. What else can I do with it now that I'm out of wings?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Stuff it in your face by itself like an animal, it's what I'd do

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Gerblyn posted:

Isn't part of the marinading process related to acid in the marinade breaking down/cooking the protein? I was under the impression that that was the reason you had to let the stuff sit around for so long.
Nah. If you're using an acidic marinade then you'll be denaturing some protein at the surface, but it won't have any meaningful effect on the overall consistency unless the meat is very thin (like carpaccio). Enzymatic marinades (like pineapple juice, papaya, and so on) only tenderise if you count mush as `tender', and they won't penetrate very far either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

SubG posted:

Nah. If you're using an acidic marinade then you'll be denaturing some protein at the surface, but it won't have any meaningful effect on the overall consistency unless the meat is very thin (like carpaccio). Enzymatic marinades (like pineapple juice, papaya, and so on) only tenderise if you count mush as `tender', and they won't penetrate very far either.

Fair enough! So I guess in conclusion that a marinade of more than 20 minutes or so is usually a waste of time?