Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Harold Stassen posted:

Hmm.. do I vote for "Hale & Healthy Harry" or am I a Van Buren Boy through and through...

Have you considered that Martin Van Buren might actually be a sissy that embraces "New York values" over traditional American virtues? He's a wimp that can't stand the taste of good, wholesome hard apple cider.

God, look at that elitist. What a disgrace. I bet he speaks Dutch at home.

CuwiKhons posted:

Oh my god, everyone's awful.

There's always more, and it's always worse.

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 16:56 on Feb 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Voting for Van Buren, the first DJ president.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

I love these things.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

QuoProQuid posted:

As an aside, I don't think I have ever hated a party as much as the Whigs with their "hey, let's run six competing tickets in a first past the post system and see what happens" strategy.

The best thing is Van Buren won a majority of the popular vote anyway so it literally did nothing.

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009
I think the only one of them who isn't completely awful is Francis Granger. Tippecanoe and Webster both are terrible, but my hope is that if one of them gets elected, they'll die in office, and Granger can be president.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i guess in theory if the whigs had nominated candidates with the local appeal to win states with more than half the EVs (although i forget the timeline on when different states went from proportional EV allocation to all-or-nothing) and split a majority of the EVs amongst themselves, sending it to the house, then van buren could still have won the popular vote by running up his total in states where the whigs hadn't nominated a favorite son, and it wouldn't have mattered

but that didn't happen either

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

oystertoadfish posted:

i guess in theory if the whigs had nominated candidates with the local appeal to win states with more than half the EVs (although i forget the timeline on when different states went from proportional EV allocation to all-or-nothing) and split a majority of the EVs amongst themselves, sending it to the house, then van buren could still have won the popular vote by running up his total in states where the whigs hadn't nominated a favorite son, and it wouldn't have mattered

but that didn't happen either

I'm being a little hard on the Whigs because I had to write up profiles for ten different candidates. Really, their plan wasn't completely crazy. The Whigs were honest with their supporters that they were never going to win a majority of electoral votes, or even a majority of the popular vote. The goal was always to trigger a run-off election. While their scheme failed, it wasn't that far off base.

Had William Harrison won 4,000 more votes in Pennsylvania, the election would have gone exactly as planned. Instead of Van Buren sweeping across the country, Congress would have been forced to elected William H. Harrison, who would then have had to make major concessions to the various factions of the Whig Party, much like John Quincy Adams did in 1820. It would have resolved some of the Whig Party's ideological issues while unseating a major Jacksonian.

Unfortunately, that didn't work and the Whigs ended up looking really dumb in the election's aftermath.

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 19:46 on Feb 7, 2016

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Webster/Devil '36

This.

I literally forgot how much Van Buren threw in with Jackson in his time as VP. Van Buren is a great candidate if you just look at his compromises to Jacksonian thought. But his loving rhetoric is Jackson through and through and I can't vote for Jackson. So, America's Greatest Lawyer gets my vote.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!
Webster/Granger just by virtue of being the most anti-slavery ticket, as low as that bar is in this period.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

tippecanoe and granger too, where is our respect for war heroes? a whole generation has passed since our last glorious battles and we have weaned a soft youth

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

ill go with webster

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Three cheers for Webster, New England's native son!

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Granger seems pretty decent all things considered, and Webster's at the very least tolerable

*cue a post with indisputable evidence that they were actually proto-nazis or some other horrible poo poo*

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

Bryter posted:

Granger seems pretty decent all things considered, and Webster's at the very least tolerable

*cue a post with indisputable evidence that they were actually proto-nazis or some other horrible poo poo*

Daniel Webster was pretty decent for his whole career but then threw his legacy away by supporting the Compromise of 1850, going from beloved Whig statesman to detested turncoat instantly.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Abner Cadaver II posted:

Daniel Webster was pretty decent for his whole career but then threw his legacy away by supporting the Compromise of 1850, going from beloved Whig statesman to detested turncoat instantly.

He also made a big deal of being in favor of the Fugitive Slave Act.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
voting for Daniel Webster so as to continue the New England junta

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

To me, Webster seems like kind of the early nineteenth century equivalent of the "useless liberal" leftists on forums complain about. So like, p decent by the standards of the time, but not really willing to spend the capital (political, social, literal) or otherwise to actually make meaningful changes or progress.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Webster/Granger '36!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Possible choices for me:

WHH, who drank the AntiMasonic koolaid even in our timeline and also had no objectionable policies as President, which is tough to manage. He's a bit flimsy on slavery, but he'll probably be a worthy successor to His Elective Majesty, President Wirt.

Webster has been covered, but would be likely to have more problematic policies than historical-WHH and may have been coopted by the Freemasons.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I can't believe the Anti-Masons actually won. I'm so glad.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
Honestly given the Anti-MAsonic coup last election how can we not vote for William Henry Harrison? He is the only candidate to firmly commit himself to be wholeheartedly against freemasonry.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Carrasco posted:

it was a huge landslide. might even have more retroactive forum support than the federalists

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Carrasco posted:

Well, I mean, the alternatives were

Andrew Jackson, Murderous Masonic Monster and defender of the common man,
Henry Clay, generally competent statesman who is entirely too pro-slavery,
and John Floyd, States Rights Anti-Federalist.

William Wirt, the (only) reasonable man from the Anti-Masonic Party, was almost a slam dunk if we didn't have some eloquent Clay lobbyists. Which we didn't.

--

Unfortunately, Wirt dies in 1834, so we'd have his raving madman Vice President in charge for two years finally getting his chance to purge anyone accused of Freemasonry, suspected of Freemasonry, or who he otherwise doesn't like.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Unfortunately, Wirt dies in 1834, so we'd have his raving madman Vice President in charge for two years finally getting his chance to purge anyone accused of Freemasonry, suspected of Freemasonry, or who he otherwise doesn't like.

His election fills him with vigour, and he lives longer.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Maybe our new rule should be to vote for whoever would have died in office the soonest.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

I don't know. His Elective Majesty Amos Ellmaker devolving into a paranoid and bloody tyrant in his quest to destroy Freemasonry has some narrative appeal, and it would explain the Anti-Mason Party's disappearance from future elections.

It also gives John Quincy Adams and Andrew Jackson to become unlikely allies.

This blockbuster is coming soon to a theatre near you.

QuoProQuid has issued a correction as of 03:59 on Feb 8, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Heck, how do we know Wirt died of natural causes?

A former Freemason dies in office, to be succeeded by an obsessive antiMasonic lunatic? How convenient. :tinfoil:

I particularly like the sequence where a heavily armed Andrew Jackson infiltrates the White House to uncover evidence against Ellmaker and his co-conspirators.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

a heavily armed Andrew Jackson

Ah, but you repeat yourself.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Voted for William Henry Harrison. I figure he deserves a shot at a full term.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Royalist spy spotted.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pakled posted:

Royalist spy spotted.

Time traveller spotted.

Spelling reform in America has started, but it will not be till 1846 that “vigor” overtakes “vigour”.

Something to look forward to:

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 04:38 on Feb 8, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I love this thread.

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

Just as the Monroe Doctrine states that South America is the Union's backyard, the Johnson Doctrine states that the hollow core of the Earth is the USA's basement. We shall explore this planet's virgin cavity, colonize it, and protect it from the multitude of menaces in the Old World. It is the divine Creator's will and our sacred duty as His chosen, enlightened few.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

GlyphGryph posted:

I love this thread.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

John Dough posted:

Voting for Van Buren, the first DJ president.

Don't blame me, I voted for Ferry Corsten.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

just rust posted:

Just as the Monroe Doctrine states that South America is the Union's backyard, the Johnson Doctrine states that the hollow core of the Earth is the USA's basement. We shall explore this planet's virgin cavity, colonize it, and protect it from the multitude of menaces in the Old World. It is the divine Creator's will and our sacred duty as His chosen, enlightened few.

I completely skipped that sentence in the summary. :psyboom:

Uh, well, hm.

Are you completely certain that Johnson, noted Jacksonian agent, would not allow the Freemasons to dominate Inner Terra? Certainly, we need to launch an expedition, but now is not the time, and Johnson is not the leader we need. William Henry Harrison will lay the groundwork we need to ensure that true Americans are the heirs to the fecundity of the lower caverns.

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009
The year is 1836. Presidential candidate Richard Johnson is convinced that the earth is hollow. He secretly begins to perform experiments to see if there might be some caverns under the surface to hide Freemason groups, who are currently being persecuted by President Ellmaker. To his delight, he discovers that his theory is correct, but that delight soon turns to horror as he realizes that the center of the earth contains prehistoric twelve-foot Freemasons--cavemen brothers whose only interest is taking over the world! As the giant Freemasons terrorize the country, Johnson and Ellmaker must team up together with the only man they know can beat the prehistoric horror.

Andrew Jackson: *cocks musket* This meeting has been called to order!

Coming soon to a bookstore near you.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

lambeth posted:

The year is 1836. Presidential candidate Richard Johnson is convinced that the earth is hollow. He secretly begins to perform experiments to see if there might be some caverns under the surface to hide Freemason groups, who are currently being persecuted by President Ellmaker. To his delight, he discovers that his theory is correct, but that delight soon turns to horror as he realizes that the center of the earth contains prehistoric twelve-foot Freemasons--cavemen brothers whose only interest is taking over the world! As the giant Freemasons terrorize the country, Johnson and Ellmaker must team up together with the only man they know can beat the prehistoric horror.

Andrew Jackson: *cocks musket* This meeting has been called to order!

Coming soon to a bookstore near you.

This summer's most explosively popular anime Attack on Mason.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Popero posted:

Three cheers for Webster, New England's native son!

He only actually ran in New England. Harrison ran in all other New England states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

whigs are stupid. voting harrison and hoping he pnumonias himself to death early.

• Locked thread