Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Trig Discipline posted:

It's pretty great. The secret is to take it slow at first, and make sure everything stays relaxed.

No doubt, but doesn't smoking meat that was recently injected leave a bad taste in your mouth?

ok, I'm done.

Still, I never found the need to inject.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Cartouche posted:

No doubt, but doesn't smoking meat that was recently injected leave a bad taste in your mouth?

ok, I'm done.

Still, I never found the need to inject.

It's certainly not for everyone and it really depends on the tenderness and sensitivity of the meat. It is highly prized in some cultures!

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

fyodor posted:

It's certainly not for everyone and it really depends on the tenderness and sensitivity of the meat. It is highly prized in some cultures!

I bet it tastes like poo poo.

Speaking of butts, I am going to pull one from the freezer tonight for a weekend smoke.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Butt anyway, back on my earlier question:

What are people's thoughts on "dry aging" for a few days in the fridge prior to smoking? Moreso for beef than pork. I have a spare fridge (the beverage fridge) in the garage that I will use for steaks. I'll get ones with decent marble, give them a good coating of kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, stick them on a cooling rack and just have them sit in the fridge for a few days. They lose a lot of water and shrink a little, but it really results in an amazing steak, that has plenty of remaining moistness from the tasty fat content. But without all of the juices that would have virtually steamed them.

So I may be daring if I see a brisket in my travels and pretend it is a really big steak. My theory being less moisture = less stall.

Just thinking out loud: I wonder if elevation effects slow smoking. I am at about 6500' above sea level. Hmm.

Cartouche fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 4, 2016

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Cartouche posted:

Butt anyway, back on my earlier question:

What are people's thoughts on "dry aging" for a few days in the fridge prior to smoking? Moreso for beef than pork. I have a spare fridge (the beverage fridge) in the garage that I will use for steaks. I'll get ones with decent marble, give them a good coating of kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, stick them on a cooling rack and just have them sit in the fridge for a few days. They lose a lot of water and shrink a little, but it really results in an amazing steak, that has plenty of remaining moistness from the tasty fat content. But without all of the juices that would have virtually steamed them.

So I may be daring if I see a brisket in my travels and pretend it is a really big steak. My theory being less moisture = less stall.

Just thinking out loud: I wonder if elevation effects slow smoking. I am at about 6500' above sea level. Hmm.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/121132/high-altitude-cooking-information

quote:

What is considered high altitude?
Most cookbooks consider 3,000 feet above sea level to be high altitude, although at 2,000 feet above sea level,
the boiling temperature of water is 208* instead of 212*F. Most of the western United States (Alaska, Arizona,
California, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, Nevada, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas, Utah,
Washington and Wyoming) are wholly or partly at high altitude, however many other states contain mountainous
areas that are also well above sea level.

How is the air different at high altitudes?
Above 2,500 feet, the atmosphere becomes much drier. The air has less oxygen and atmospheric pressure,
so cooking takes longer. Moisture quickly evaporates from everything.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Cool, thanks for that. It raises the question of is 190f the target internal temp, or is the cellulose conversion thingimado effected as well as the temp of the slow-low? :ohdear:

Oh sweet jesus I hate math...
http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents/Calib-boil.html#tables

Still reading that forum thread, but really hoping someone has a temp-time-elevation conversion chart. I am also rethinking my practice of leaving the drip pan/diffuser empty or using liquid to up the humidity. And along those lines perhaps a combination of dry aging AND liquid in the drip pan.

Cartouche fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Feb 4, 2016

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Cartouche posted:

Cool, thanks for that. It raises the question of is 190f the target internal temp, or is the cellulose conversion thingimado effected as well as the temp of the slow-low? :ohdear:

Oh sweet jesus I hate math...
http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents/Calib-boil.html#tables

Still reading that forum thread, but really hoping someone has a temp-time-elevation conversion chart. I am also rethinking my practice of leaving the drip pan/diffuser empty or using liquid to up the humidity. And along those lines perhaps a combination of dry aging AND liquid in the drip pan.

Your best bet is to just experiment. Use Pork shoulder/butts and make a lot of pulled pork and see what works best. It is pretty hard to ruin pulled pork. If you can't afford to buy a bunch of pork butts maybe ask your friends if they would buy one and you can smoke it and give them the meat. Just tell them you are trying to dial things in so it might not be perfect. Also it freezes/reheats well so making a bunch isn't a waste if you cannot use it all immediately.

If you tire of pork you can also try The Wolfe pit's Pepper Stout Beef which most everyone here loves.

And if your like me and hate wasting a buncha room in the smoker you can buy some Bulk Sea Salt and smoke that at the same time. I have been doing some of each flavor of wood when I smoke different things. Going to give some out as gifts but it is also great for getting a little smoky flavor into other non-smoked cooking.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Cartouche posted:

Please share your test results. I am a good amount higher than you and am planning on getting a smoker. My buddy snagged one recently, but I have not tested it out with him yet.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Trastion posted:

Your best bet is to just experiment. Use Pork shoulder/butts and make a lot of pulled pork and see what works best. It is pretty hard to ruin pulled pork. If you can't afford to buy a bunch of pork butts maybe ask your friends if they would buy one and you can smoke it and give them the meat. Just tell them you are trying to dial things in so it might not be perfect. Also it freezes/reheats well so making a bunch isn't a waste if you cannot use it all immediately.
Yeak, pork butts are great for playing with. Even if you stall for too long and run out of time before your guests show up, the worst case is that you have delicious sliced pork that you can use to make cubans or something.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Trastion posted:

If you tire of pork you can also try The Wolfe pit's Pepper Stout Beef which most everyone here loves.

And if your like me and hate wasting a buncha room in the smoker you can buy some Bulk Sea Salt and smoke that at the same time. I have been doing some of each flavor of wood when I smoke different things. Going to give some out as gifts but it is also great for getting a little smoky flavor into other non-smoked cooking.

Well that is all good and all, but I never made a bad pulled pork in the keg, so it would not be a good test sample.,

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

OK, so I have my head mostly wrapped around this all but for this mystery: Is the collogen magic and such going to happen at a different internal temperature?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cartouche posted:

OK, so I have my head mostly wrapped around this all but for this mystery: Is the collogen magic and such going to happen at a different internal temperature?

Not sure what you're asking exactly, but the collagen to gelatin transformation is a function of time and temp. With enough time it can happen at a much lower temp. For example, I do sous vide short ribs at 131.5 for 48 hours, and they are fall apart tender. So there's no exact temp at which your meat will be ready, because a lot of it has to do with how long it took to get there.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

He's referencing the plateau which may or may not happen at a different temp at altitude (I'd guess not, but the quicker loss of moisture may)

Ultimately the temp at which it occurs doesn't matter so long as you're monitoring it, you'll see it occur.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Mr. Wookums posted:

He's referencing the plateau which may or may not happen at a different temp at altitude (I'd guess not, but the quicker loss of moisture may)

Ultimately the temp at which it occurs doesn't matter so long as you're monitoring it, you'll see it occur.

Well we are talking about a smoker that I am not going to be peeking into as it does it's thing. No monitoring beyond internal temp probe. But yeah as you said I am speaking about the difference in altitude and if that temp target is changed as with water boiling.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The internal temp probe is what you use to monitor for the plateau. Let us know, but from a quick search I suspect not as nobody mentioned a change in the plateau. People do cite having dryer meat than sea level. Some compensate with a waterpan, slightly higher heat (i.e. 250 instead of 225), foiling early or basting during cooking.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Mr. Wookums posted:

The internal temp probe is what you use to monitor for the plateau. Let us know, but from a quick search I suspect not as nobody mentioned a change in the plateau. People do cite having dryer meat than sea level. Some compensate with a waterpan, slightly higher heat (i.e. 250 instead of 225), foiling early or basting during cooking.
Less convection (i.e. block wind, close your vents as much as possible once you're past the first few hours of applying smoke) should also help retain moisture inside the cooker.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Mr. Wookums posted:

By plateau do you mean the stall?

As I mentioned above but perhaps not at great length, I slow smoked a chuck roast this past weekend. Was using my new IQ110 and it kept it nailed at 225F for about 14 hours till it reached 190 internal. It came out flavorful but a bit dry. The stall time was a good 3-4 hours between 150-160, and when it began to rise above it was still a few hours before it finally clawed it's way to 190.

Raising the heat to perhaps 245 F will be my first adjustment. That said, the question I am wondering is if the collagen to gelatin transformation is effected by elevation, or if 190 internal is still a good target.

A pork shoulder is going on tonight, which I have no concern about whatsoever. It's when I tackle beef again that I will be more worried about particulars. At first I thought last week's roast suffered from too long of a stall, leading me to wonder about dry aging a couple days prior to cut down on the sweating. Then I realized I am nowhere near sea level these days.

Cartouche fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 5, 2016

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Yes, I do. I missed your post about already doing the beef so I thought we were all in hypothetical. You got the stall about where I'd expect it, so no worries there. The dryness would have occurred due to the comparatively higher moisture loss after the stall. Did you tent it with foil at any point? That'll really help block convection as Vulture pointed out.

I have no idea how a dry age like a steak would work out, unless I'm doing a brine or wetmop I try to age my beef in the fridge uncovered for a day or two for better bark.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 5, 2016

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Mr. Wookums posted:

Yes, I do. I missed your post about already doing the beef so I thought we were all in hypothetical. You got the stall about where I'd expect it, so no worries there. The dryness would have occurred due to the comparatively higher moisture loss after the stall. Did you tent it with foil at any point? That'll really help block convection as Vulture pointed out.

I have no idea how a dry age like a steak would work out, unless I'm doing a brine or wetmop I try to age my beef in the fridge uncovered for a day or two for better bark.

Next attempt with beef I will be raising the temp and have liquid in the drip pan.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Holy crap. Opened up the smoker, first time since last week's 14 hour chuck smoke... I had used probably a lunchbag full of charcoal, and what's left is aproximately a lunchbag full of charcoal. It literally used maybe a handfull. :psyduck:

Plugging dis:
http://www.amazon.com/Fogo-FHWC35LB...o+lump+charcoal

Cartouche fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 6, 2016

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I read Aaron Fanklin's Franklin Barbecue: A Meat-smoking Manifesto on a long (10 hour) flight last weekend. I figured I'd just skim through it but I couldn't stop reading it. It was entertaining and educational. If you like making BBQ I'd definitely give this a read.

Incidentally, he addresses the dry aging question in his book and he does age all his briskets before they are smoked.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

vulturesrow posted:

I read Aaron Fanklin's Franklin Barbecue: A Meat-smoking Manifesto on a long (10 hour) flight last weekend. I figured I'd just skim through it but I couldn't stop reading it. It was entertaining and educational. If you like making BBQ I'd definitely give this a read.

Incidentally, he addresses the dry aging question in his book and he does age all his briskets before they are smoked.

drat. I do all my reading through audiobook and there isn't one for this. I wanted some meat smoking ASMR.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

vulturesrow posted:

It's a fantastic read, and I second this recommendation. He is very open and frank about everything he does and why he does it, and his history of how he got in to bbq is one that I think a lot of people can relate to. Plus, his recipes are super straight forward and produce great results.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

vulturesrow posted:

Thanks for the heads up!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I'm about to do some baby back ribs, and I'm wondering how to achieve that falling-off-the-bone result like literally what you get at Chili's. I'm assuming it's easier to do on an electric smoker, seeing as how those are like electric ovens with smoke in them.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Making 10 lbs of chuck roast tomorrow for superbowl. Gonna be savage.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I'm about to do some baby back ribs, and I'm wondering how to achieve that falling-off-the-bone result like literally what you get at Chili's. I'm assuming it's easier to do on an electric smoker, seeing as how those are like electric ovens with smoke in them.

Falling off the bone is boiled meat.

From amazingribs.com:

quote:

People talk wistfully about meat that falls off the bone, but if it does, it has probably been boiled and denuded of its best flavors. What they're really loving is the unctuous barbecue sauce. That's why McRibs are so popular. They're just ground pork swimming in sweetened ketchup mixed with liquid smoke and some other flavors. Classic Southern ribs have the same mouthfeel and bite as a tender juicy steak and most important, they taste like pork, not just sauce. They tug off the bone rather than fall off the bone.

If you are really really in a hurry, you are better off steaming or microwaving them and then finishing them on the grill or under the broiler.

Just don't boil 'em!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

vulturesrow posted:

I realized I wasn't very clear on this so I wanted to make sure I didn't lead anyone astray. He is not a fan of dry aging brisket but he does let them age in the cryovac for a while.

Anyhow, a couple of things that caught my attention in the book:

The water pan - he is a huge advocate. I know some that post here don't put water in the water pan (referring specifically to the Weber Smokey Mountain here) and instead just fill it up with sand. I've never been a fan of this so I feel a little vindicated that he uses a water pan. ;)

The "Texas crutch" - Anyone who is familiar with Franklin BBQ knows that he wraps everything (brisket gets wrapped in butcher paper, everything else in foil). I've always stayed away from doing it but hell if he can make such good BBQ doing it then it might worth reconsidering. I'm doing pulled pork for the Super Bowl tomorrow and I'm going to wrap it when it hits the stall and see what I think about the result.

Spritzing - I've never really done it because I felt like it didn't add much in terms of flavor but he makes some good points, specifically about the moisture helping trap more smoke on the meat.

Anyhow, like I said, the book really is a great read. Definitely gave me the urge to buy an offset smoker and try cooking with straight wood.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

The water pan's great. I encourage everyone to learn how to cook without it, because it will teach more precise fire control, but by no means is cooking without it the only way to roll. When I do longer cooks I usually start with a single gallon of water in the pan and I've maybe gone through half by the time the meat is done.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can't get my chips to smoke without putting them in the fireplace first, flame has gone out twice, wind blew the pan with all my fat and juices off the grill.. This brisket is going to be a disaster :(

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

marauderthirty posted:

Can't get my chips to smoke without putting them in the fireplace first, flame has gone out twice, wind blew the pan with all my fat and juices off the grill.. This brisket is going to be a disaster :(

Are you cooking in a hurricane? :stare:

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's a gas grill, burner is lit on one side as low as it goes but temp is 260 if I don't also choke the gas supply by nearly closing the valve all the way. Also, the pan is just a cheap foil one so that explains it blowing away with basically no wind (well, that and my luck in general). I have the chips right above the burner though and they will not burn, soaked them overnight and like I said I have to start them in the fireplace but they don't even keep smoldering. Keep smoking for maybe 5 minutes after I put them on. Definitely going to have to check out my pizza options for this evening.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

marauderthirty posted:

It's a gas grill, burner is lit on one side as low as it goes but temp is 260 if I don't also choke the gas supply by nearly closing the valve all the way. Also, the pan is just a cheap foil one so that explains it blowing away with basically no wind (well, that and my luck in general). I have the chips right above the burner though and they will not burn, soaked them overnight and like I said I have to start them in the fireplace but they don't even keep smoldering. Keep smoking for maybe 5 minutes after I put them on. Definitely going to have to check out my pizza options for this evening.

If you've thoroughly soaked your chips, they're usually fine to put right beside the fire in a line to slowly churn through, but I'm thinking on a gas grill you should be fine to use dry chips in a pan above the burner depending on the distance between the two. In your situation, I'm guessing there's too much space and your soaked chips are just really slowly drying out instead of getting the smoke you want.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

marauderthirty posted:

260 is a good temp for brisket.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
I had it closer to 225 on the grill, transferred to the oven after 6 hours at 178 degrees. Put in the oven at 250 and it was nearly at a finished temperature after 7.5 hours total at 198. It seems like it's way too soon for it to be done. I gave it a little tug with a fork when I took it out to put some of the mop sauce someone here linked for me, and it felt fairly soft. I've turned the oven down to 225 and it dropped a little bit when I took it out, but drat it feels like it's going too fast. Everything I read said 10-12 hours.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yesterday I trimmed and rubbed an 8 pound pork shoulder. This morning I injected it and put it in the Traeger at 225 (using Cookinpellets Perfect Mix) and now, many hours later, im uncomfortably full. And satisfied.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

fyodor posted:

Falling off the bone is boiled meat.

From amazingribs.com:

Okay fine how do I get close to that with an electric smoker, then?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Okay fine how do I get close to that with an electric smoker, then?

edit: For ribs make sure you have a good rub on them then smoke them at 225 until they pass the "bend test."

Also, make sure you've pulled the membrane off the underside and trimmed the excess fat. If you don't open the door very often the ribs should stay juicy and be delicious.

Read this:

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/best_BBQ_ribs_ever.html

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 8, 2016

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
My brisket turned out surprisingly well yesterday, considering all the :derp: I woke up too late, and still had to run to Walmart to find a thermometer to put in the grill before I could get the ball rolling. I sort of went with the suggestion to smoke on the grill for a little bit then finish in the oven, but I googled it beforehand and the guide I went with said to do half the total cook time in each. In the end it did 6 hours on the grill and 4 in the oven and ended up only slightly overdone. Not dry at all, not falling apart but just not quite as juicy as I'd expected. Smoke flavor wasn't really there, or what little bit there was from the chips not smoking was masked by the sauce, which was the most frustrating part. I read to soak the chips in water overnight and thought that maybe they were too wet, but I think they were just too far from the flame. I tried putting a pack of dry chips in and they still didn't burn at all, only when I started a pack in my fireplace would they seem to burn, and they would still go out within 5 minutes of being on the grill. The mop sauce that was recommended was really good (even if I had to use butter on account of the wind blowing my sweet beef fat on the ground), every last bit of the brisket got eaten despite all the other food we made for only 4 people, overall I'd say babby's first brisket was a success. Sure do want an actual smoker now though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I recently moved and now live at like 7500 feet. I'm not good at science. What should I change about smoking because of this? I've made a couple shoulders since getting here but they seem to take forever. Maybe hotter? Or is it just gunna take longer because of.... whatever environmental changes come with elevation