Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Prince in the Phantom needs to watch the Red Wedding. After all what is the worst that could happen if you marry for love rather than insuring peace?

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.
God dammit Sally Forth has been making me feel feelings lately.

~Getting emotional over comic strips~

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

SuperKlaus posted:

I want to give continued props to most every comic printed before about 1970, but particular thumbs-up for newcomer Gay and her Gang and good ol' Feiffer. Please keep posting them. Gay is well-drawn and funny - this is what 9CL desperately wishes it actually were. Being drawn by a woman probably helps, huh? I can't tell you just how skeeved I felt when I learned "Brooke Eldowney" was a man. And Feiffer shows us (mostly) timeless commentary.

Thanks, I appreciate that. Let it never be said I can't bring the Gay.

Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbusts of Everett True

Gay and Her Gang (click for big)

Fritzi Ritz

And now, a musical interlude...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFVeJ4wHWdQ&t=18s

Feiffer (click for big)

Wee Pals

Life In Hell

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Slammy posted:

Feiffer (click for big)

What the hell is this nonsense? Where did people in the 50s get the idea that dogs don't like getting pet? They're dogs. Sleep. Just Sleep Comix.

Pooch Café

It's actually Poncho trying to get the cat kicked out of the sleepover.

Ballard Street

He was never in the navy, of course, which explains why he's giving an army salute.

Lost Side of Suburbia

Maybe it's just because I didn't get much sleep last night, but that sounds good right about now.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

"He promised us a frontier." So this must be a Kennedy joke.

Skippy (December 8, 1928)

Pogo (February 8, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Four (March 22-24, 1954)

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Holy poo poo. :stare:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Slammy posted:

Fritzi Ritz

And now, a musical interlude...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFVeJ4wHWdQ&t=18s

[timg]http://i.img

From wikipedia: "The lyrics are brief and are dominated by the repetition of the title words and the nonsense refrain, "floy-doy, floy-doy, floy-doy". The original lyric, recorded in January 1938, was "flat foot floozie with a floy floy"; Vocalion, however, objected to the word "floozie",[3] meaning a sexually promiscuous woman, or a prostitute. The second recording in February changed the word to "floogie". In the second part of the title phrase, "floy floy" was slang for a venereal disease, but the term was not widely known and failed to catch the attention of censors.[8] It was regarded as nonsense and came to have positive connotations as a consequence of the song.[9]"

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Did a thing if for some strange reason someone wants a random heart of juliet jones panel as an avatar.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Slammy posted:

Feiffer (click for big)

Since Feiffer did the illustrations for The Phantom Tollbooth, his dogs always remind me really strongly of Tock.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

you say "prank," we say "violation of the geneva conventions"

e: oh wait, misread, it was his false teeth. i thought it was his real teeth :blush:

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 7, 2016

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Classic Dinette Set buys only memories.

I'm parsing this as a racism (not "racist") joke?. "This cap makes me feel like a black man!" "Take it off!"

When I do edits, I try to use only the letters that are already present in the original text. This can cause some peculiarities.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

treasureplane posted:

Nancy (February 27, 1943)

... Are those panels out of order?

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Moomin

Classic Dilbert

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Haven't read the thread in a few years, trying to get back into it, have a lovely edit.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 7, 2016

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I like this panel out of context because it makes the child look like an insane person.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom ClassicBig Ben Bolt

Radio Patrol

This comic is completely nuts, but in an economical and low-key kind of way so that I'm always taken by surprise whenever I find myself entranced by it.

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I am really digging classic phantom right now.

Loving the crooked boxing storyline.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I was going to post my daily round of comics, but gently caress it, this is all you need to see.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Wanamingo posted:

I was going to post my daily round of comics, but gently caress it, this is all you need to see.

Nobody needs to see this. Gilchrist is such a hack.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Every time I think he's finally hit a plateau he pulls out something like this.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Wanamingo posted:

Ernie Bushmiller is your God, your God is dead

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set rubbernecks.

Working Daze tries to pretend it cares about sportsball.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is indecisive, indeterminate.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

no Compu-Toon today, it's still on the 6ths

Bizarro

Dilbert

Foxtrot

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

... What the hell is this about?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=in%20the%20weeds

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
^well, OK, I guess I get it now, but I've never heard that usage before. Probably because I always avoided restaurant work like the plague.

Zereth posted:

... What the hell is this about?

I don't really get it, but that little bird perching on the speech bubble is the best thing that has ever been in that strip.:3:

The Bloop fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 7, 2016

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Violet is making a golem.

They will name the golem "Pig-Pen"

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Completely Transparent Comix

I've seen more birds do that than cats, to be honest.

Lost Side of Suburbia

Biff sure has come a long way, hasn't he?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

I love these Sunday trips into drastically different art styles.

Outland

Why mothers get gray.

Ripley's

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

From wikipedia: "The lyrics are brief and are dominated by the repetition of the title words and the nonsense refrain, "floy-doy, floy-doy, floy-doy". The original lyric, recorded in January 1938, was "flat foot floozie with a floy floy"; Vocalion, however, objected to the word "floozie",[3] meaning a sexually promiscuous woman, or a prostitute. The second recording in February changed the word to "floogie". In the second part of the title phrase, "floy floy" was slang for a venereal disease, but the term was not widely known and failed to catch the attention of censors.[8] It was regarded as nonsense and came to have positive connotations as a consequence of the song.[9]"
I love this - thanks for finding it!

Hobnob posted:

Since Feiffer did the illustrations for The Phantom Tollbooth, his dogs always remind me really strongly of Tock.
I know it has probably been mentioned in this thread (or a previous one) before, but I had never read this book. Just downloaded it and holy cripe it's good! I know what my Niece is getting for her birthday.

Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbusts of Everett True

Gay and Her Gang (click for big)

Fritzi Ritz

Feiffer (click for big)

Wee Pals

Life In Hell

About the constant gas masks in these strips - during the first Gulf War you saw soldiers and, at times, reporters, with gas masks quickly placed on. There was a fear of a chemical attack from Saddam Hussein.

If you were watching then (and, well, had been born at that time), it wasn't uncommon to see CNN reporters in the field - I think Peter Arnett - quickly put one on when the sirens went off in Baghdad.

Aaaand with this strip, Life in Hell disappeared from The News (Boca Raton) for three months. I honestly thought they had dropped it for good, and that would have sucked as I don't see any other sources, but it picks back up after the strips turn less political.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

On the one hand, it's impressive. On the other: does it really count if the blindfold is the whole reason it took 100 hours?

:stare:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County

Peanuts (February 9, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Feb 8, 2016

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Today guest starring: a female juror from F Minus.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Did he just cut that dude's ear off?

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Didn't the blackhole comic shop owner get something super valuable when the mom was doing the starbucks jones hunt? Or was that another stuck up comic lover?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mister Kingdom posted:

Did he just cut that dude's ear off?

I think that's the implication; I'm wondering what on earth the guy was teasing(?) the kid for, though. Is that an old expression or something?

• Locked thread