Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

never stop doing these

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Madcosby posted:

"Why enable comments when there's nothing to discuss? Just listen to the video and believe."
-A Cultist

From that same thread... even the dumbest motherfuckers are starting to kinda get a clue, even if they still miss the mark by miles.

Yeah, how come they somehow manage to always pick dumb questions to answer instead of substantial ones? how weird.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6339160/#Comment_6339160

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Booblord Zagats posted:

Then why the hell wouldn't they just do that? There's fidelity, it's fun and it can switch between modes quickly and seamlessly while providing a positive user experience.
In addition to what others have said, I think CR's "saviour of PC gaming" mentality enters into it. He can't be the saviour if he does the same stuff that PC games are already doing. EVERYTHING has to be new and the product of his genius mind so that those he saves will owe their thanks to Christ Roberts and Christ Roberts alone.

Although why he has to reinvent so many wheels but is happy to use the Cryengine is beyond me.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Tippis posted:

To be be ever so slightly fair to CIG, they don't do it because space is a very different environment from a city, in particular in terms of how far you can see and, consequently, what strategies you can employ for cutting the world up into useful chunks.

That said, yes, they do have a faiblesse for the overly complicated, mainly rooted in some romantic notion of how the standard tricks that all games employ to convey the illusion of grand scale are horrible tricks and cheats because… well… that's exactly what they are. They believe that conveying an illusion is a bad thing rather than the rational way of creating something that works; that it must be “real” rather than an illusion; and that it must be made real through pointless simulation of minutiae rather than through tricks and shortcuts that yield the exact same results.

This is what kills me, people defending Roberts and crew always say "They're doing what's never been done before" but the reality is its been done dozens of times. I get that space is a lot bigger than a city, but the areas of space you need to show really aren't. The human eye isn't going to be able to see poo poo that far away, the game at best will only have to have 25% more than that just to work as a buffer space in long range situations. E:D even proves that there's almost no real gameplay outside a few types of areas where players would naturally congregate. No one is going to give two shits about who holds 5000 cubic kilometers of deep space, they fight over asteroids, control of space stations in orbit of dead worlds, etc.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Karl please keep in mind that Sandi does not care about you at all.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
still can't come to terms with the fact that sandi is "acting" alongside gary oldman, mark strong and gillian anderson. I hope this project collapses, it would be terrible for sandi to get actual work after this due to this bullshit.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Scruffpuff posted:

Every time I write something trying to get a concept across, a little later I read one of your posts, and they briefly and eloquently state what I had meant to convey far better than I did. Hats off to you sir.

Conversely, I'm annoyed that I can't compose a less :words::y answer and therefore always have someone say the same thing first before I get a chance to do so. :haw:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

RSI Forums: Regig race

quote:

A peculiarity of this race is that are hermaphrodites and are always in a state of pregnancy, children kill the parent when born, but retain their memories and knowledge, fetuses, are attached to the brain mother. Because of this peculiarity the number of individuals is always the same no population growth. Considered a great offense to kill a creature of his race but even more if it kills the fetus, take great retaliate against this act and who do take revenge but never with another murder they have a great respect for all forms of life.

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 7, 2016

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwO9z-XxMNU&t=45s

Happened to a friend, needed to share a good alien game with everyone

Norefund14days
Feb 2, 2016

NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU PARP IN SPACE.

AP posted:

How much is your refund amount?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Liu posted:

still can't come to terms with the fact that sandi is "acting" alongside gary oldman, mark strong and gillian anderson. I hope this project collapses, it would be terrible for sandi to get actual work after this due to this bullshit.

That's probably one of the only terrible outcomes of this project that won't happen. I suspect the real actors have run into the "director's wife" situation before (re: Kate Capshaw in Temple of Doom). That road does not lead to success.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Posting pregnancy photos of sandi is pretty hosed up, edit that poo poo.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

or

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

fuctifino posted:

Has this been posted to the thread? It was linked in the CIG Versebuster's thread.

Someone has remixed ATV to try to make it good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNUrAupudi8

e: It's a :five: click for :lol:

this is hilarious, my fave part is the end, sounds like a rick and morty commercial.

1 times dildo launcher...

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Regig? what the f- it was H.R. Giger not R.H Giger, what the fu.......... also this :

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Wafflz posted:

Posting pregnancy photos of sandi is pretty hosed up, edit that poo poo.
My apologies. I made sure to edit in part of the "lore".

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwO9z-XxMNU&t=45s

Happened to a friend, needed to share a good alien game with everyone

The sharpshooter holding the rifle when he's doing the pistol animation makes this relevant to Star Citizen.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Booblord Zagats posted:

This is what kills me, people defending Roberts and crew always say "They're doing what's never been done before" but the reality is its been done dozens of times. I get that space is a lot bigger than a city, but the areas of space you need to show really aren't. The human eye isn't going to be able to see poo poo that far away, the game at best will only have to have 25% more than that just to work as a buffer space in long range situations. E:D even proves that there's almost no real gameplay outside a few types of areas where players would naturally congregate. No one is going to give two shits about who holds 5000 cubic kilometers of deep space, they fight over asteroids, control of space stations in orbit of dead worlds, etc.

If I were to continue being generous in interpreting CIG's intentions, I guess that some of that could be explained by some ill-conceived notion of future-proofing the game.

Back in 2003, Freelancer had a pretty well-balanced level of detail. You lived in a 10km bubble, outside of which nothing really existed, and only the biggest objects (planets, stars, gas clouds, warp gates) were rendered. That was all well and fine because anything smaller was about three pixels across at 640×480 (or maybe 4 pixels across at 800×600). Play the game today, and the pop-in is pretty hilarious because you're playing at 2560×1440 and entire ships and huge containers pop into existence once they enter that bubble, instantly appearing as fully identifiable objects.

Since SC is the game that you will be playing for the rest of your life, expanding that event horizon outwards makes some tiny smidgen of sense. Never mind that our displays are already at a level where they can display imperceptible details… but I mean, the general idea based on previous experiences is sound(ish).

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Scruffpuff posted:

That's probably one of the only terrible outcomes of this project that won't happen. I suspect the real actors have run into the "director's wife" situation before (re: Kate Capshaw in Temple of Doom). That road does not lead to success.

Sandi is probably already being talked about and laughed at within the A-list Hollywood circles. Hollywood is fully of people even bitchier than she is :)

No producer/director in their right mind will ever hire Sandi for a serious project.

(Sorry Sandi, as I know you are reading this, but it's the truth)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Goobs posted:

this is hilarious, my fave part is the end, sounds like a rick and morty commercial.

1 times dildo launcher...

He's apparently going to be re-mixing each future ATV in the same way.

Someone should buy him an account.

e: reposting for the lazy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNUrAupudi8

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Fucking Star Citizen True Believers are passive-aggressive douchebags. Sorry if I have the ability to use my critical thinking skills. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, motherfuckers.

That's me trying way too hard to fit in here. Please accept me, I need validation. I'm very depressed.
Grimey Drawer

Young Freud posted:

Didn't this also have one of the comments be from Michael Morlan, who had also departed CIG. And his was none too flattering as well.

Yes, which is why I didn't post that version.
As I said, I'm not sure if that was a private conversation or not - so I won't post comments.

That being said - oof, the comments weren't pleasant at all.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Scruffpuff posted:

Didn't she end up the director's wife after the fact, though? I seem to recall that she was more of a Broadway and art-film actress before a big paycheck tempted her over to the dark side.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

fuctifino posted:

Sandi is probably already being talked about and laughed at within the A-list Hollywood circles. Hollywood is fully of people even bitchier than she is :)

No producer/director in their right mind will ever hire Sandi for a serious project.

(Sorry Sandi, as I know you are reading this, but it's the truth)

True enough. Although in my mind, I see it as more of a knowing glance exchanged quickly between the real actors when she walks on set, and that's the end of it. I like to think they didn't even think it was worth mentioning afterward even for a laugh. That is my dream.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Tippis posted:

Didn't she end up the director's wife after the fact, though? I seem to recall that she was more of a Broadway and art-film actress before a big paycheck tempted her over to the dark side.

I'm not sure - it could be. I can see how Spielberg would be captivated by such a performance.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

As far as I know Kate Capshaw was actually an actress and only started dating Spielberg after filming started, not before.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Also let's be fair, Indiana Jones has never had amazingly well written female parts in it.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I had the picture the wrong way up the first time.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

As far as I know Kate Capshaw was actually an actress and only started dating Spielberg after filming started, not before.

I think someone above mentioned she was on Broadway before. I don't know Kate that well; we made out a few times but it was nothing serious.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Strategic Tea posted:

I have bad news. Strategic Tea was found suffocated today. He seemed to have been trying to build a helmet around his head from banknotes and papier mache.

But...Any idea how he did the sliding visor? Gotta have immersive fidelity. Or is that fidelitous immersion? (Yes, fidelitous IS a real word.)

Help me, DSmart, you're my only hope!

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I had the picture the wrong way up the first time.

Bruce Vilanch! :eyepop:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

does he think multimillion dollar companies keep lawyers on retainer to send letters to internet trolls

like imagine if gabe newell had his lawyers send a letter every time someone called him fat on the internet or Ubisoft sent out letters every time someone called the company Ubishit

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Eonwe posted:

does he think multimillion dollar companies keep lawyers on retainer to send letters to internet trolls

like imagine if gabe newell had his lawyers send a letter every time someone called him fat on the internet or Ubisoft sent out letters every time someone called the company Ubishit

I am excited for AtV including a segments where they try to troll the trolls.

Give Ben a kazoo and the show will be worth watching.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Also let's be fair, Indiana Jones has never had amazingly well written female parts in it.

What? But the serious has George Lucas as one of its… oh.

Scruffpuff posted:

I'm not sure - it could be. I can see how Spielberg would be captivated by such a performance.

Based on the behind-the-scenes documentaries, I think it worked both ways. :D
There is a brief discussion on Spielberg's methods of persuasion: having learned that Capshaw has a snake phobia, and knowing that there is a scene where she'll have to grab one and throw it into the bushes, he offers her the bargain of getting rid of that scene in exchange for being allowed to dump a metric ton of bugs on her head…

…of course, in the end, both scenes are in the movie.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Eonwe posted:

This is why Half Life 3 will never come out btw.

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

A new and better life awaits you in the 'verse, commander o9

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

gaben fat

hl3 delayed another month..!

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
Almost page 1800, let's do this poo poo HOOAH

i am over 20 pages behind but w/e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Someone sum up the good things that happened every 1000 pages because that's how many I have to skip at a time.

• Locked thread