Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
https://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200411/nation-wimps

quote:

Parental hovering is why so many teenagers are so ironic, he notes. It's a kind of detachment, "a way of hiding in plain sight. They just don't want to be exposed to any more scrutiny."

Millennials and beyond suffer from a psychological detachment from reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
same

naem
May 29, 2011

Nolgthorn posted:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200411/nation-wimps

Millennials and beyond suffer from a psychological detachment from reality.

Millennials psychologically damaged by generation of controlling overbearing parents, coping

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

naem posted:

Millennials psychologically damaged by generation of controlling overbearing parents

who were themselves damaged by distant, unhappy parents who got married too young and would rather have a vodka tonic than do poo poo with their kids

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

ChipNDip posted:

Milennials could not handle the politically incorrect jokes and constant ribbing that come with working on a factory floor.

Good point. Especially anything aimed at "gender".

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Horniest Manticore posted:

who were themselves damaged by distant, unhappy parents who got married too young and would rather have a vodka tonic than do poo poo with their kids

Gettin poo poo done is what we calledit

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Nolgthorn posted:

Gettin poo poo done is what we calledit

"Now leave Daddy alone, the goddamn news is on." *stares at the TV and drinks for the next three hours, never uttering a word*

naem
May 29, 2011

Horniest Manticore posted:

Who worked tirelessly long miserable hours to cut all corners and outsource all possible employment overseas to try desperately to afford the adjustable rate mortgage on their poorly built overblown McMansion that fully 1/3rd of them lost leaving children and grandchildren (and don't forget step children 50% divorce rate) with nothing

Yes let me run right out and buy a house with that job I don't have

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I'm conflicted, financially I can relate to the people being poo poo on ....but socially I join in on all the dumb trends that I never gave a poo poo about. The same people who did that awful racoon hair as teenagers in the emo trend are doing the same hipster poo poo in their adult years. Meanwhile I'm living at home only now getting meaningful employment with 55k in debt from school expenses in order to get said employment.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

naem posted:

Who worked tirelessly long miserable hours to cut all corners and outsource all possible employment overseas to try desperately to afford the adjustable rate mortgage on their poorly built overblown McMansion that fully 1/3rd of them lost leaving children and grandchildren (and don't forget step children 50% divorce rate) with nothing

Yes let me run right out and buy a house with that job I don't have

"Huuuuu-wahhhhhhhh, doing things in life is hard :( Suppose i'll just back some more Kickstarters for Zombie Bacon Retro Cardgames until my dream job as a small batch IPA reviewer falls into my lap. I deserve my dream job because i was raised believing everyone gets to always win or otherwise it isn't fair"

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yea millenials are out of touch with reality

*goes on to repeat the same head in sand bullshit from TV that everyone else wised up to ten years ago*

naem
May 29, 2011

Houle posted:

I'm conflicted, financially I can relate to the people being poo poo on ....but socially I join in on all the dumb trends that I never gave a poo poo about. The same people who did that awful racoon hair as teenagers in the emo trend are doing the same hipster poo poo in their adult years. Meanwhile I'm living at home only now getting meaningful employment with 55k in debt from school expenses in order to get said employment.

Usually advertising for "cool young people hair/music etc culture" is followed by "young adult advertising buy a car house marriage real job haha" and it's one steady step after another in progression, instead it's all a jumble with half the population left behind

Advertisers and their client corporations actually get mad like "why aren't you going people marching in lockstep forward like baby boomers here look, shiney, buy it rear end in a top hat I have condo payments"

Meanwhile young people are watching bemusedly, commenting on the irony of it all to each other on their phones (darn them)

naem
May 29, 2011

spudsbuckley posted:

..was raised believing everyone gets to always win or otherwise it isn't fair"

Raised to believe this by the same parents whose generation ruined the middle class job market to buy houses they couldn't afford which caused the housing bubble from which we are all still recovering in a big double EFF UUU the young are genuinely hurt by yes

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

naem posted:

Raised to believe this by the same parents whose generation ruined the middle class job market to buy houses they couldn't afford which caused the housing bubble from which we are all still recovering in a big double EFF UUU the young are genuinely hurt by yes

Plenty of middle class jobs/manufacturing jobs/trades in the country that i live in and they are filled by people from other countries because our own younger people won't do them because 30-35k is not enough for them to lower themselves to work with their hands.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
jesus christ, these lazy

Poverty Rate of All Persons 2000-2011

thanks obama

entitled

Poverty Rate of All Persons by Age 2000-2011

raised with such a stable family
Child Poverty by Family Structure 2000-2011

are so ungrateful and lazy, god drat kids fault thinking they should get things...

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

EugeneJ posted:

Playboy just relaunched as a non-nude magazine, and is engineered towards Millennials.

The first cover?

Where's the loving rabbit.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

OMFG FURRY posted:

jesus christ, these lazy

thanks obama

entitled

are so ungrateful and lazy, god drat kids fault thinking they should get things...

BOOT

STRAPS

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

OMFG FURRY posted:

jesus christ, these lazy

thanks obama

entitled

So it really is the single mothers' fault.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i wouldn't mind a manufacturing job right out of college. most poo poo is automated now so how hard can pressing buttons and making poo poo not gently caress up be?

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

* Unless we are given enough money for free to get ourselves out of poverty it isn't fair

This is what giving a ribbon to everyone did.

In my day there were kids who were better at things than other kids. Some kids were great at math and were recognised for it, other kids were good at sports. Some were terrible at everything and everyone noticed and they were bullied into getting good by their peers. This extended into adulthood.

Now adulthood seems to be living at home with your parents and waiting for the economy to "recover". Blaming some non-existent group of people for oppressing them. Possibly going to college where being exposed to contrary opinions is completely shunned. Safe spaces are set-up, and it's ok to yell at faculty members.

It's all because of oppression, you seee. If these adults weren't being oppressed they'd have everything and be functional contributing members of society. They'd have a house and a car and a good job and they'd excel at it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Nolgthorn posted:

* Unless we are given enough money for free to get ourselves out of poverty it isn't fair

In my day there were kids who were better at things than other kids. Some kids were great at math and were recognised for it, other kids were good at sports. Some were terrible at everything and everyone noticed and they were bullied into getting good by their peers. This extended into adulthood.

Now adulthood seems to be living at home with your parents and waiting for the economy to "recover". Blaming some non-existent group of people for oppressing them. Possibly going to college where being exposed to contrary opinions is completely shunned. Safe spaces are set-up, and it's ok to yell at faculty members.

It's all because of oppression, you seee. If these adults weren't being oppressed they'd have everything and be functional contributing members of society. They'd have a house and a car and a good job and they'd excel at it.

source your quotes man

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I'm not sure where you live where being bullied made a person better, or the cause of that bullying wasn't for anything other than how they looked or who they associated with or what they were good at being a source of mockery because it wasn't sports. Not to mention the person bullying committing suicide or shooting up a school doesn't really foster the best in people as they spend their adult years treating PTSD off and on pending on which coverage they qualify for...

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

lol shut the gently caress up

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

House payments are often cheaper than rent, like they call it "first-time homebuying" for a reason, nobody is expecting people to buy McMansions at 18 years old.

Around here, you can get an otherwise serviceable but very dated/needing reno house for like $50k AND it's centrally-located. Don't really buy the whole argument that there are crippling extenuating circumstances keeping a majority of people at home beyond just being lazy and preferring an easy, comfortable life with more spending money. Unless it really is just a bunch of Buzzfeed writers making problems on the west coast seem nationwide.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Come on post-millennials it's up to you to take advantage of all the dropped balls in front of you.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Nolgthorn posted:

The housing market responds to how many people are living out of their parent's houses. If 50% of people 18-35 are still living at home with their mommy and daddy because they can't afford it, the cost of living adjusts to make it so that you can afford it.

I loving wish. Where I live, demand's through the roof yet what kind of development do we see? High end stuff with great RoI that're unaffordable to the unwashed masses. We need piles of <$150k condos but all we're getting are 'luxury' developments.

naem
May 29, 2011

Nolgthorn posted:

Why if they just got their hands dirty a little they could earn the big bucks in North Dakota on one of those oil fields that just all shut down!

Or they could take their $100k of debt after working for "college degrees" their "parents told them to get" and go work in a factory and earn a cooooooool $30k (gross) (apparently), they can TOTALLY buy a house on that! Which is a good idea since the factory can shut down at a moments notice trapping them jobless and in debt with no work experience in their field and a house they can't leave heh "bitches"

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Where is around here

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

Justin Tyme posted:

House payments are often cheaper than rent, like they call it "first-time homebuying" for a reason, nobody is expecting people to buy McMansions at 18 years old.

Around here, you can get an otherwise serviceable but very dated/needing reno house for like $50k AND it's centrally-located. Don't really buy the whole argument that there are crippling extenuating circumstances keeping a majority of people at home beyond just being lazy and preferring an easy, comfortable life with more spending money. Unless it really is just a bunch of Buzzfeed writers making problems on the west coast seem nationwide.

How is it lazy not wanting to buy a house and have extra spending money to cover costs such as medicare, travel expenses and the like? Also, I find for most people owning a house is a lot of extra space for nothing. Yeah you can rent it out but you are on the hook for repairs and upkeep.

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

the average sale price of a house where I live is $457k, for a dumpy rear end townhouse it's 260K

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Justin Tyme posted:

Lmao. A home for $50k. Homes are like $250k-$300k here and there aren't that many jobs. And rent is $700/mo or so for 2-3 bedrooms which is cheap.

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Nolgthorn posted:

bullied kids perform worse when kept in contact with their bullies. they tend to develop chronic anxiety from that experience. i think your using bully as a type of nagging to perform and not the more sadistic type that most people are talking about, i dont think most people consider the former bullying.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Nolgthorn posted:

Come on post-millennials it's up to you to take advantage of all the dropped balls in front of you.
speaking as a post-millennial, i just yearn for death to be honest. i'm lucky i have a scholarship and supportive parents, but i'm still going to have a goddamn rough time for the next 10-15 years, unless nuclear annihilation happens quicker than i thought.

naem
May 29, 2011

Darn these kids and their "phones" which "put the sum total of human knowledge at their fingertips through the Internet" wanting to "network with peers and look for opportunities online" despite "those opportunities being few and far between" and "discussing this all with a depth of realism and perhaps comedic irony as a coping mechanism" instead of "blankly accepting the angry yammering of past generations whose experiences were much different"

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
If I want to own a house/condo in the next decade, either I need to become a programmer or my dad needs to die before drinking his retirement.

His alcoholism's about $15k/year.

naem
May 29, 2011

*drops mic*

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Zzulu posted:

wow your american country sounds like poo poo

everyone is poor and forced to live with their parents.. Maybe you guys should move to a first world country instead

America right now is like Japan was 10 (or more?) years ago.

Also to all the people calling "us young people" lazy, how loving old are you? Because you sound really old, like pushing 50 old.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Nolgthorn posted:

hrmmery, yes, this is the problem, that stage of rebellion that all kids go through and express in different ways is totally at fault

*eyes glaze over at mention of yuppies rebelling against hippie/beatnik parents who were rebelling against THE GREATEST GENERATION who were rebelling against the great depression... etc etc*

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Khorne posted:

Lmao. A home for $50k. Homes are like $250k-$300k here and there aren't that many jobs. And rent is $700/mo or so for 2-3 bedrooms which is cheap.

:shrug: midwest strokes, those houses on that Flip or Flop show where they sell them for 300,400,500 thousand dollars in Cali would be scraping 100,000-150,000 here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Justin Tyme posted:

:shrug: midwest strokes, those houses on that Flip or Flop show where they sell them for 300,400,500 thousand dollars in Cali would be scraping 100,000-150,000 here

Ok so someone (with $70k in student loans) gets a job at the one employer in the area (factory) for $30k and buys a small terrible older house for $100k, trapping them in the area, now the employer moves to a right to work state to save money by paying less, the one employer is gone and the house is worth less than the mortgage in a jobless area now what

They move back in with mom that's what.

OR they could just STAY with mom and have more money in the bank (and not lose a [small, terrible] house) which a lot are doing

• Locked thread