Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Votes are currently:

quote:

Ursa: 4
Asriel: 4
Jackie: 3
Zack: 3
Ranger: 3

Colette: 2
Nadia: 1
Sophie: 1
Freyja: 1
My choice: 1

Anyone not listed has no votes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Jackie, Milly, Phoebe, Ursa. Enjoy pain. :unsmigghh:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Asriel, Realga, Stardust, Ursa

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Living in central California, which is largely just barely above sea level, I've never had a snow day in my normal life, so I'm something of a sucker for snow environments in video games. I really like the Frozen Ground's visual design, and its music is pretty great too.

Yeah, that's central cali. If anyone thinks he's exaggerating then I as someone who has lived in central California for a while can tell you that it snowed ONCE in the 20-odd years I've lived in my town and it was considered a freak accident, and maybe half an inch? Of course its only like an hour to get to the mountains so its not like I've never seen snow, it just isn't a part of my life like it is most peoples.

Oddly enough I too have a bit of an affinty for snow levels, minus ice physics.

I will vote for Realga, Asriel, Ursa, and Stardust

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Madtrixr posted:

Yeah, that's central cali. If anyone thinks he's exaggerating then I as someone who has lived in central California for a while can tell you that it snowed ONCE in the 20-odd years I've lived in my town and it was considered a freak accident, and maybe half an inch? Of course its only like an hour to get to the mountains so its not like I've never seen snow, it just isn't a part of my life like it is most peoples.

I personally live in the Sacramento area, which Wikipedia says had its last significant snowfall in 1976--a good two decades before I was born. :v: But yeah, I'm no stranger to going to the mountains for snow, I just don't get it at all where I actually live.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
I'm gonna vote for Tyler, Realga, Ursa, and Stardust. I think you need to have an alchemist to really get going with a Highlander, and while Ice Guard is nice against the trash mobs, I still really like Hit-Taker for damage mitigation. Also now that I actually have an idea on how to use Highlanders I really want to see more, since they were the only class that I just could not figure out the niche for (until this LP).

8_Escape
Dec 26, 2013
Can't remember who's been in the team when so going with my gut:
Freyja, Nadia, Zack and Asriel. (Despite Zack being the only one among them who is half-way dressed for cold weather.)

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Sweet and Sour Moa is made with 4 Stiff Leg Meats (Giant Moa) and 2 Leeks (Auburn Thicket Take), and blocks one ailment for every party member once 3 turns have passed. One of the most situational foods I can think of.

I can see how "3T" might be read that way, but that's not what it does. You start every fight with essentially a full-party Prevent Order that lasts for three turns.

Which is particularly handy for at least one third stratum fight.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Wonderslug posted:

I can see how "3T" might be read that way, but that's not what it does. You start every fight with essentially a full-party Prevent Order that lasts for three turns.

Which is particularly handy for at least one third stratum fight.

I have never used Sweet and Sour Moa because I tend to stick to a pretty narrow selection of food, ha. That actually is really useful, I probably should've eaten it for Flame Demon in case the first-turn head bind didn't go off. In any case, the description's been edited.

Votes are currently:

quote:

Ursa: 8
Asriel: 7
Jackie: 4
Zack: 4
Realga: 3
Ranger: 3
Stardust: 3

Tyler: 2
Freyja: 2
Nadia: 2
Milly: 1
Phoebe: 1
My choice: 1

I'll leave votes open until this evening, at which point I'll start update 19.

Rea fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 29, 2016

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Zack, Realga, Ranger, Stardust

Spielmeister
Mar 31, 2014
Asriel, Jackie, Realga, Stardust

Plenty of fire attacks without making you rely entirely on items for healing.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Final vote results are:

quote:

Asriel: 8
Ursa: 8
Stardust: 5 (+1)
Realga: 5
Jackie: 5
Zack: 5

Ranger: 4
Nadia: 2
Freyja: 2
Tyler: 2
Phoebe: 1
Milly: 1

So there's a 3-way tie for the last 2 party slots. Through the use of random.org, the ultimate tie-breaker, the party for the first part of the 3rd Stratum shall be:

Asriel, Ursa, Stardust, Realga, Jackie. Nothing too insane--phew.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 19: Spider Dance

Been a while since I've seen some action. Let's get moving.
Rrr rer!
How did this happen. How did I end up on the exploration party twice in a row?
Having a backup plan when someone gets badly injured is always a good idea.
...I'm a "backup plan?"
L-let's just go get some breakfast from Regina, and go exploring! Sophie said there's a new Ginnungagap floor.

The LP's narrative technically doesn't have a protagonist, but Realga and Stardust have gotten a lot of screentime--they were in the first party, the Chimaera party, the 2nd Stratum second half party, and now the 3rd stratum first half party. Oh well, Medics and Alchemists are useful.

Here's Asriel's updated build. I maxed out Horse Slash on him--it deals less damage than a max-level Swallow Strike, but it's far more TP efficient for the early game. I also picked up a lot of Flame Grater levels, skipping the max level to save some TP.

Ursa's updated build. I maxed out Hit-Taker and Beast Roar, and started to invest in Preemptive Roar.

Realga's gotten all of one point in Overheal since we last saw her.

I rested Stardust after Flame Demon to re-allocate her skill points into Inferno Formula. She's otherwise the same.

Jackie's build here is irrelevant since she'll be taking a rest later in the update.

Not pictured: upgrading everyone's equipment to the latest stuff. None of the upgrades were really notable, though.

Bleh. Everything's dusty. This place smells of old, too.
It's some kind of ancient shrine or something. Duchy wants us to make sure it's safe.
Why do they care about the state of some old ruins that normal people can't visit?
The Duchy's paying us to keep this place clean. Let's just get it over with.

Welcome to Ginnungagap B2F: More of the Same.

Even the drawbridges are back.

Ahhh!
Hmm?! Monsters?!
N-no, sorry. Just a spider at my feet. This place is making me jumpy...
No kidding. Did we really have to come at night?

Ginnungagap's atmosphere is a pretty stark contrast to the Yggdrasil Labyrinth. It feels super claustrophobic with all of its cramped corridors and lack of big, open spaces.

Bugbear
HP: 365, STR: 23, VIT: 17
Skills:
  • Infectious Club: Uses the arms. Deals light Bash damage to one target. Reduces the amount of HP recovered from healing skills on the hit target.
Drops:
  • Normal: Eerie Tail. Sells for 64 en. 1 needed to make Purple Glove (+13 DEF, +1 STR.) 3 needed to make Fairy Cuirass (+31 DEF).
    "Purple tail from a Bugbear. Because of its eerie appearance, some avoid touching it."
Damage resistances:
  • Normal: Cut, Stab, Fire, Volt
  • Weak: Bash
  • Resist: Ice
Disable resistances:
  • Normal: Blind, Paralysis, Panic, Sleep, Fear, Petrification, Instant Death, Stun, Head bind, Arm bind, Leg bind
  • Weak: Curse
  • Resist: Poison

A hideous creature of Ginnungagap, carrying toxins that prevent recovery.

Bugbears really aren't much to worry about. They don't deal a ton of damage, and the HP recovery debuff would be a concern if random encounters lasted for more than 2-4 turn usually.

Red Haggis
HP: 994, STR: 15, VIT: 15
Skills:
  • Holy Fire: Uses the head. Deals heavy Fire damage to one row.
Drops:
  • Normal: Crest Feather. Sells for 63 en. 1 needed to make Quill Boots (+11 DEF, +10 TP, +1 TEC).
    "Feather from the head of the cute Red Haggis. A popular ornament for weapons and armor."
Damage resistances:
  • Normal: Cut, Bash, Volt
  • Weak: Stab, Bash
  • Resist: Fire
Disable resistances:
  • Normal: Blind, Poison, Paralysis, Panic, Curse, Fear, Petrification, Instant Death, Stun, Arm bind, Leg bind
  • Weak: Sleep
  • Resist: Head bind

Many adventurers have underestimated it by looks...and been burnt to ash for that mistake.

Red Haggises are just as annoying as Haggises were. You'd best get as much mileage as possible out of the fact that they start the fight asleep, since Holy Fire can easily kill your party if you don't kill it in time.

Brbrblr...
Can... Can bears normally turn their fur green?

My medicine doesn't seem to be helping, either.

Your occasional reminder that rare breeds can run away from fights.

Blame my blade.

I don't understand the point behind putting drawbridges as shortcuts...that can only be opened from one side.
Maybe the ancient ones that built this weren't that smart.

That's quite the overgrown ape.
What is with those huge hands?!

White Orangutan
HP: 540, STR: 24, VIT: 18
Skills:
  • Destructive Claw: Uses the arms. Deals around three instances of light Cut damage to random targets. Mildly inaccurate.
Drops:
  • Normal: Massacre Claw. Sells for 77 en. 1 needed for Heshikiri (+86 ATK).
    "Dense monkey claw that can crack boulders. It's prized for making quality weapons with."
Damage resistances:
  • Normal: Cut, Stab, Bash, Ice, Volt
  • Weak: Fire
Disable resistances:
  • Normal: Blind, Poison, Sleep, Curse, Fear, Petrification, Instant Death, Stun, Head bind, Arm bind, Leg bind
  • Weak: Panic
  • Resist: Paralysis

An ape with long, steely claws and enough muscle to tear a suit of armor in half.

Here is my opinion on White Orangutans, and what's special about them:

I hope it was enlightening.

Rrph.

I might've gone overboard with healing that.

Hoo hoo, now that's some stopping power!

It's just too easy.

One tile-wide corridors as far as the eye can see. At least they're more twisty than EO1's one tile-wide corridors.

RRERR, RRERR, RRERR!

Hold still, I'll put the fire--

--out. Aaaaagh.

Is that...skittering I hear from behind the door?

O-oh my. The entire web is covered in roofs--I mean the entire roof is covered in webs...
No. It can't be...

I hate these creatures with a passion.
SYSTEM: You glance left, right, and then slowly upward...and see that the ceiling is covered in web. A spider hangs, watching. You resolve to be wary of the monster remaining carefully out of your reach, and progress onward.

There is nothing more disgusting, more vile, more revolting, more useless than a spider. Just an absolutely abominable organism.
...That's maybe getting a little overly into it.

Binding Spiders are a slightly special FOE. They completely ignore terrain, and if we get within a 4 tile-long line in front of it, it will prepare to spit web at us, which immobilizes us for a few turns. If the Binding Spider starts a fight while we're in the web, we'll start the battle fully bound. So, uh, try to avoid getting into a fight.

SYSTEM: You gaze at the web thoughtfully, and an idea occurs to you...
Stardust. Burn this web right now.

The world is a safer place with that spider's death.

It doesn't matter where the Binding Spider is, burning the web on the wall will drop it into the death pit.

Never hurts to have these things.

I apologize if it seems like I'm skipping a lot, but Ginnungagap B2F really doesn't have a lot going on. None of the random encounters are really worth talking about.

This puzzle's pretty easy. Just run straight for the web strand and you'll outpace the spider.

Yeek!

Enjoy spinning webs in hell.

Hm. Whoever runs this floor obviously wants to challenge my patience...
Asriel... They're just spiders.

This is another kind of simple puzzle. You just have to bait the spider here into wasting a few turns by spitting web, by standing over here and then moving away.

The wasted turns will let you cross the one tile-wide chokepoint without the spider blocking it.

Here's Preemptive Roar kicking in, before I detail the Chi You.

Chi You
HP: 894, STR: 27, VIT: 22
Skills:
  • Head Splitter: Uses the arms. Deals moderate Bash damage to one row. Attempts to bind hit targets' heads.
Drops:
  • Normal: Horn Shard. Sells for 147 en. 1 needed to make Steel Khakkhara (+58 ATK, +3 TEC, +3 VIT). 3 needed to make Horn Shield (+25 DEF).
    "Broken horn from the head of a Chi You. It can be reforged as incredibly strong iron."
Damage resistances:
  • Weak: Fire, Ice, Volt
  • Resist: Cut, Stab, Bash
Disable resistances:
  • Normal: Blind, Poison, Paralysis, Panic, Sleep, Curse, Fear, Petrification, Instant Death, Head bind, Arm bind, Leg bind
  • Resist: Stun

Few adventurers have the resolve to face this four-eyed, six-armed nemesis.

Chi Yous are a pretty big step up from what we've seen in Ginnungagap B2F. They hit pretty drat hard, and head binds can seriously screw over caster classes like Medics and Alchemists. Them resisting all types of physical damage also means taking them down takes quite a while.

...Which is a problem right now, since the Binding Spider is one step away from us.

So I just bust out Issen.

Still leveling up Overheal.

Buh-bye.

Hmph. So the spiders are teaming up on us now. Crafty bastards.

I successfully trick the upper spider into wasting a few turns...

Before a random encounter screwed it up.

Leading to this.

I could still sidestep the web, thankfully.

And then I burnt the web down.

There's also a one-way shortcut here. (Ignore the wrong icon.)

I...don't really need this.

The game's giving us a hint about the upcoming boss fight here.

...Does anyone else hear laughing from the other side of the door?
Yeah. Pretty smug-sounding laughter too.
SYSTEM: Deep in these ruins, there must dwell a monster stronger than the Basilisk you previously encountered... If you are prepared to confront a powerful enemy, than you may enter. If you are not ready, then you are free to return to town to prepare.
Let's go back to town. The pack's starting to get a little heavy.

A nice amount of cash.

I also invest some of our excess cash (from doing the DLC money grinding quest) in the North Ward and Uptown.

I set up a new ad campaign before leaving, as well.

Steel Khakkhara (+58 ATK, +3 TEC, +3 VIT) is unlocked by selling 1 Horn Shard. It's useful for support Medics, but the TEC/VIT bonuses for Vital Hit Combat Medics gets outpaced by even the first staff you can unlock in the 3rd Stratum.

Heshikiri (+86 ATK) is unlocked by selling 1 Massacre Claw. It's a very significant upgrade from Asriel's Tachi, and I buy one for him.

Yellow Tunic (+16 DEF) is unlocked by selling 5 Yellow Plumes. We were supposed to unlock this back on B1F so, uh, whoops.

Purple Glove (+13 DEF, +1 STR) is unlocked by selling 1 Eerie Tail. It's a nice bit of equipment for STR-based damage dealers.

Quill Boots (+11 DEF, +10 TP, +1 TEC) is unlocked by selling 1 Crest Feather. Decent boots for caster classes.

At this point, I grinded for a little while to get Asriel 2 levels and to get everyone better Grimoires. I also rested Jackie and reallocated her skill points heavily into Charged Fire. I unfortunately lost the footage of this due to editing screwups, but the big takeaways from this are:
  • Stardust now has a level 10 Compression Grimoire (so Compression is now level 20) and a level 6 Inferno Formula Grimoire.
  • Jackie swapped out her level 4 Charged Ice Grimoire for a level 10 Charged Fire Grimoire.
  • Ursa's Hit-Taker Grimoire is now level 9 instead of level 4.

I'm getting a bad feeling about this...

My word. That is the biggest and ugliest spider I have ever seen. I'm going to need the big boot...
Wait. There's something protruding from it...

Oh...oh my.
...How does that even work?!
W-what part? The woman part, or...
Not just the human part! Why does she have purple feathers covering her shoulders?!

She's upside-down, too! How are they even covering her--
Rrer rr rerr, Rerrgr.

SYSTEM: But the spider awaiting you is unlike anything you have encountered on this floor. With the beautiful visage of a young woman, and a spider's body, this must be the fearsome monster Arachne. The Arachne does not attempt to pursue you, but rather looks in your direction, her lips curving into a smile. However, her silken smile is laced with certain evil. In her face, you glimpse for a moment her true wicked intent... You can confront her head-on with weapons drawn, or you can find a strand of web and set fire to it.

Don't face Arachne head on. You will really, REALLY regret it.

Arachne does the same thing the Binding Spiders did, except in a 3x3 square. And yes, if she catches you while you're stuck in the web, the party starts the fight fully bound.

That's the only web you need to dodge, though.

Gck...! drat spider!
Rr--!
Aaaaah, I can't move!
This is some really drat sticky silk!

We're immobilized for 4 steps here. Thankfully, Arachne needs to take a turn to, well, turn, so we're not in that much danger here.

Just keep eating the webs. After this one, you just need to bolt towards the web strands on the wall.

Burn it burn it burn it! Hurry!
Calm down, Jackie. Let me just light these matches...

Ahh. What a satisfying crunching sound.
I don't think she's dead yet...

:siren: VIDEO: Boss Fight: Arachne :siren:

Feel my blade's cold steel, you beasted wretch!
Wretched beast--oh, whatever.

Burning Arachne's web immobilizes her on the field and lops off a whopping 40% of her HP. Note that you only get a preemptive on Arachne if you approach her from the back.

Arachne
HP: 17000 (lowered to 10200 by burning the web), STR: 26, VIT: 25
Skills:
  • Venomous Bite: Uses the head. Deals heavy Bash damage to the front row. Has a high chance of inflicting Poison with 100 base damage on hit targets.
  • Poison Marsh: Uses the head. Covers the battlefield in poison. At the end of every turn for 3 turns, deals untyped damage to the entire party. Damage starts in the single digits, but increases with every time Arachne uses it.
  • Silk Spit: Uses the head. Deals moderate Stab damage to one target. Attempts to bind all body parts of the hit target.
  • Silk Spread: Uses the head. Deals heavy Stab damage to the entire party. Attempts to bind all body parts of hit targets.
  • Stinger: Uses the legs. Deals heavy Stab damage to one target, with line-piercing effect. Attempts to stun hit targets.
Drops:
  • Normal: Woven Thread. Sells for 901 en. 1 needed to make Spinneret Gown (+27 DEF, +2 AGI).
    "Powerful thread that binds one's movement. Spun in a special way and difficult to cut."
Damage resistances:
Disable resistances:
  • Normal: Paralysis, Sleep, Curse, Arm bind, Leg bind
  • Resist: Panic, Fear, Stun, Head bind
  • Nullify: Blind, Poison, Petrification, Instant Death
Pattern:
  • Uses Venomous Bite on Turn 3, then every 4 turns after.
  • Uses Poison Marsh on Turn 4, then every 4 turns after.
  • First Stinger cast is random after she falls below 25%. After that, Stinger is cast every 8 turns.

A spider-like monster guarding Ginnungagap with its immobilizing silkweb.

Do you have head binds? Great, you've basically won the fight. If you don't, Arachne mostly comes down to a war of attrition: either you kill her after a while, or she kills you after you've run out of TP.

Venomous Bite is a pain to deal with even if you have Front Guard, since the poison's enough to kill most any class after the initial hit.

Poison Marsh might seem negligible at first, but after a few casts, it becomes a problem since you can't revive anyone without also healing them on the same turn, or else they'll die immediately to Poison Marsh.

Silk Spit is annoying as poo poo, as I'm sure you can infer. The damage is kinda negligible, but anyone getting all of their body parts bound can seriously screw you over. Keep some Therica As on hand!

Silk Spread is Silk Spit but even worse.

Stinger's kind of a non-factor since it's actually less deadly than Silk Spread, and Arachne only uses it when she's about to die anyway.

Asriel needs to set up Upper Stance.

Ursa will debuff Arachne's physical damage to make her tanking job easier.

Realga still has that high-level Warrior Song that she got before Chimaera. Good thing too, since the party would not have enough damage to kill Arachne before everyone runs out of TP otherwise.

Same stuff as always for Stardust.

Jackie will activate Action Boost immediately because I'll need Supreme Bolt on Turn 3.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE--
STOP THAT! Please! Why're you doing that, Realga?!
What else do you want?! I can't sing!

Decent damage.

I have Asriel turn on Immovable to lengthen Upper Stance and conserve his TP.

Standard Ursa + Realga stuff.

And Stardust will begin torching the spider.

Oh. Horse Slash is only level 10 compared to Charged Fire's level 20, yeah, but Asriel really isn't dealing that much damage. Flame Grater wouldn't be faring much better.

Fwoosh.

Now THAT'S nice. Remember that Inferno Formula is only level 16, too.

I don't like the looks of that...

Arachne telegraphs Venomous Bite by doing this.

I have Ursa and Realga refresh buff/debuff durations. Why am I doing that, you may ask?

Because I'm going to just stun Arachne.

Hold still!

Ehhhh. I'm not entirely comfortable with the fact that we've only taken off half of the HP Arachne started with, and Asriel/Stardust's Force Boosts are about to run out.

Realga has nothing better to do this turn, so I have her prep Overheal.

If the fight goes on long enough for Analysis to regenerate, Stardust will probably be out of TP, so I just have her use Eschaton.

Jackie will just spam Charged Fire until she runs out of TP.

Oogh, that smells foul.
It's seeping through my boots!

Alright, where'd I put the protective bandages...

Oops. Using Eschaton was a mistake--I lost out on almost 200 damage by using it instead of Inferno Formula.

Urk!

Hrm. This isn't looking that great.

Salve is usually what I use in combination with Overheal.

Stardust needs to recast Compression.

Notice how everyone's max HP is higher than normal: that's Overheal in action.

Ahahaha, Arachne got dicked there. The only body part that Ursa cares about is her arms.

Kinda unfortunately, Poison Marsh takes effect after Overheal goes away.

It's still nice damage, but Stardust is starting to run out of TP.

Uh-oh.

I have Ursa enable Desperation, since she will 100% die to Venomous Bite without it.

Realga'll toss Jackie an Amrita since Jackie's gonna run out of TP after this turn otherwise.

Bear in mind Ursa's taking reduced damage thanks to Hit-Taker. Asriel would've died to that if Ursa didn't tank it and Ursa herself would've died to the initial hit plus the poison...probably.

This is a huge fuckup on my part. Stardust would get a lot more out of 6 Fire Formula casts than this one Cocytus Formula.

The last turn passed uneventfully. As for this: eh, why not? Battle's either going to end in a win or a loss soon.

I really regret using Cocytus Formula--it dealt ~300 damage with 32 TP, and Fire Formula could've dealt ~500 damage over five turns.

Jackie has to switch to Fire Rounds at this point.

Hrrr rr rr!

True Endurance nullifies all binds and ailments (aside from instant death) while it's in effect, remember.

Fire Rounds is level 5 and hitting a weakness--consider that Horse Slash is dealing barely more damage than it at level 11.

It helps, but I'm starting to get worried at this point.

Arachne's almost dead, but Stardust is completely out of TP and Jackie's about to run out after this turn.

Archaic...hooligan...

If Salve was level 10, Asriel would've probably lived there.

Welp. I guess Ursa's gonna have to die to keep everyone else alive.

I have to use Medical Miracle, otherwise Asriel will die to Poison Marsh after being revived.

We're so close! C'mon, keep going!

Rrrgh...

Holy poo poo, the luckiest loving Double Attack proc. Bear in mind that thing is only level 1.

(If you're wondering why I had Asriel attack, it's because Upper Stance ran out.)

The katana master just oorah-zuki'd your rear end.
Was... Was that just gibberish or is that an actual thing?

God that was close.

The world is a better place now that this primordial boogeywoman is dead.
Asriel, please, give the spider thing a rest.
SYSTEM: You have successfully eliminated the threat in the ruins! The quest asking you to slay the monster dwelling on Ginnungagap's 2nd floor is now complete. You can choose to go back to town, or you can choose to further explore the ruins.

The room at the northeast of the Arachne room has this treasure chest in it. I'm not complaining.

Huh. It's like the seal on those locked doors in the Labyrinth.
It's different though! Maybe it's unlock--
NO. We're going back to town right now.

SYSTEM: Perhaps later, once you have taken a new request and it becomes necessary, you may have some interest in exploring further.

Spinneret Gown (+27 DEF, +2 AGI) is unlocked by selling 1 Woven Thread. It's a nice defense boost for our back line and, in Jackie's case, a small damage boost.

Nice, nice. Sadly the Guest Troubadours from the North Ward didn't have any interesting Grimoires.

The new campaigns.

And I invested some money into Slum development before I left.

Hey, welcome back! I heard it was gonna be a dangerous mission, but I figured it wouldn't be any trouble for yeh lot.
Ehhhhhhhhh... That spider fight came really, really close.
Eh? It wasn't that easy? Yeh know, yeh lot need to learn to be less humble! Don't worry, I'll tell the Palace Lumen handled it. Awright, here's yer reward. Go on, don't be shy! Take the drat thing! I'll see yeh next time!

Asriel has the skills I want on him for now, and I'm gonna rest him eventually, so I'm just going for passives right now.

Putting another point into Preemptive Roar.

Another point into Overheal, too.

I'm not gonna get a lot of use out of Cocytus Formula in the 3rd Stratum, but eh.

I opt to start investing in Burst Shot at this point.

Next time: we start exploring the Frozen Grounds.

Rea fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 13, 2016

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Oh hey, Asriel hates those damndable spiders almost as much as I do :v: I took that bitch on with a default story party myself...took me a few tries to look for the strand of web to burn. I WANTED to fight her without that...but that went as well as you'd think it did.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I did not find Arachne's burnable string until well after I finished the game.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 20: No Penguins In Sight, Unfortunately

Everyone got their winter clothes ready?
...Everyone except you.
I trained in the cold long ago. I'll be fine.
I dunno how well a 60-something man'll handle freezing weather, but okay.

We'll actually start exploring the 3rd Stratum today.

I really don't have anything to say regarding preparations, so let's just go.

Rrrr-CHOO!
E-even with this thicker coat, I'm still freezing...
Weak kids. Let's get a move on.

Right off the bat, we find a Chop point near the Geomagnetic Pole. It gives Glitter Apples for ingredients.

That thing is just...what?
A Deep One! We must slay it immediately! Before it produces offpsring!
Those're just stories, Asriel.

Fishman
HP: 353, STR: 21, VIT: 21
Skills:
  • Chase Down: Uses the legs. Deals moderate Bash damage to one target.
Drops:
  • Normal: Blue Scale. Sells for 108 en. 1 needed to make Cutlass (+74 ATK). 3 needed to make Ganyu (+90 ATK). 5 needed to make Scale Boots (+12 DEF, +10 TP).
    "Beautiful scales on a Fishman's body. Hard as iron, but easy to work with."
  • Ingredient: Fish Head. 1 needed for Traditional Kabutoyaki (Japanese Food 3; Gives a chance to not wake a sleeping enemy when attacking).
    "A monster head."
Damage resistances:
  • Normal: Stab, Bash, Fire
  • Weak: Cut, Volt
Disable resistances:
  • Normal: Blind, Poison, Paralysis, Panic, Sleep, Curse, Fear, Petrification, Instant Death, Stun, Head bind, Arm bind
  • Weak: Leg bind

Fishmen are trash mobs that I really don't have a lot to say about.

To be swift, you must beat one's enemies!
Wrong order, Asriel.

Oh yeah, I don't think I've mentioned this about Ronin yet. Each of their stances, when maxed out, gains a 20% chance to automatically activate at the start of a battle, which also effectively gives you an extra turn of the stance as well. Leveling up the stance to 20 through Grimoires increases the auto-activate chance to 30%.

Beast Roar + Preemptive Roar makes Ursa's job during random encounters a lot easier. Look how little damage she's taking from these things.

Not much of interest happened in that fight.

Yeah, the starting part of 11F just has filler around it, aside from the Chop point. Exciting!

Shortcuts in the Frozen Grounds are little green shrubs. Again, they contrast well against the normal parts of the stratum.

That... That is a snowman with a face.
It's kind of cute.

Snow Ghost
HP: 253, STR: 19, VIT: 16
Skills:
  • Snowball: Uses the arms. Deals moderate Ice damage to one target.
Drops:
  • Normal: White Gem. Sells for 103 en. 1 needed to make Epsilon Axe (+83 ATK). 2 needed to make White Khakkara (+72 ATK, +40 TP, +3 VIT). 5 White Gems and 1 Celestine needed to make White Collar (+37 DEF).
    "Stone thought to be a Snow Ghost's core. However, this has not been confirmed."
  • Ingredient: Eternal Ice. 3 needed for Apple Blue Aiyu Jelly (Chinese Food 3; Changes Therica A/B range from single-target to row-target). 3 needed for Apple Matcha Shaved Ice (Japanese Food 3; Increases enemy miss chance while Blinded).
    "Doesn't melt for some reason."
Damage resistances:
  • Normal: Cut, Stab, Bash, Volt
Disable resistances:
  • Normal: Blind, Poison, Paralysis, Panic, Curse, Petrification, Stun, Head bind, Arm bind, Leg bind
  • Weak: Sleep
  • Resist: Fear, Instant Death

A manifestation of pure snow whose vitality will spike when endangered.

Snow Ghosts are trash mobs normally. Do you remember those drunks at the bar who warned us about Snow Ghosts "biggefying," though? Yeah, don't leave one alone in a fight, or you'll really regret it--because you'll be fighting a 15F monster.

Forest Dragonfly
HP: 422, STR: 26, VIT: 19
Skills:
  • Confusing Blitz: Uses the arms. Deals heavy Cut damage to one target. Attempts to bind all of the target's body parts.
Drops:
  • Normal: Red Foreleg. Sells for 177 en. 1 needed to make Red Helm (+18 DEF). 2 needed to make Rusty Nail (+82 ATK).
    "Dragonfly foreleg containing red iron. When tempered, it turns black."
  • Conditional: Severed Wing (Kill with Cut damge). Sells for 242 en. 1 needed to make Dragonfly Bow (+76 ATK, +10 HP).
    "Severed front wing of an agile dragonfly. Must be severed while still alive."
Damage resistances:
  • Normal: Cut, Bash, Fire, Ice
  • Weak: Stab, Volt
Disable resistances:
  • Normal: Blind, Poison, Panic, Curse, Fear, Petrification, Instant Death, Stun, Head bind, Arm bind, Leg bind
  • Weak: Paralysis
  • Resist: Sleep

A carnivorous dragonfly that adapted to harsh life in the forest. Its wings are highly prized.

Forest Dragonflies are significantly more threatening than Snow Ghosts. Confusing Blitz can either kill someone from full HP outright, or leave them basically helpless. It's an especially big issue when you have a Beast, since arm binds disable Hit-Taker.

Mrph!

I kind of feel bad killing it...
It's just a monster that looks like a snowman, it's fine.

HUTTAH!

NECK SNAP!
That's not so much a "neck snap" as it is a "wing cut."

Cut is basically the most common physical damage type for player characters (Landsknechts, Dark Hunters, Troubadours, Ronin, War Magi, and Sovereigns all have innate access to it), so getting the Severed Wing isn't too hard.

A mere few steps later...

That's one mad-looking cow.

War Bison
HP: 919, STR: 29, VIT: 23
Skills:
  • Stomp: Uses the legs. Deals heavy Bash damage to one row.
Drops:
  • Normal: Metal Horn. Sells for 204 en. 2 Metal Horns and 1 White Metal needed for Talwaar (+82 ATK).
    "Curved animal horn with metal traces. The curve makes it hard to work with."
  • Ingredient: Beef Loin. 4 needed for Apple Sauce Bison Steak (Western Food 3; Disables preemptive attacks and blindsides). 4 needed for Bison Lamian (Chinese Food 3; Restores HP when character has an ailment inflicted on them or is bound).
    "Tender meat cut from the back."
Damage resistances:
Disable resistances:
  • Normal: Paralysis, Panic, Sleep, Curse, Fear, Petrification, Instant Death, Stun, Head bind, Arm bind, Leg bind
  • Weak: Blind
  • Resist: Poison

A wild bull that resides in deep wood, it tramples all in its path.

War Bison are an annoying combination of "very durable" and "hard hitters." 919 HP will take a while to chew through, even with Fire damage, and while you're chewing through it, you're going to have to try to keep your party members alive through Stomp. Unless someone's at 100% HP, they're very likely to get taken out by it. Asriel, especially, is at an extreme risk of dying repeatedly here.

Note that I had Ursa debuff the War Bison with Beast Roar to make it easier to deal with.

Can you, uh, fix that, Realga?
I dunno, those were some pretty intense squishing sounds...

Asriel took a lot more damage than Ursa not only because he has considerably worse armor and VIT, but Ursa had Loyalty Mastery kick in. Remember: this thing's physical damage is debuffed by around 30% right now.

Ohhh, my aching...everything.
Oh, don't be such a baby. Ribs grow back!
Okay, no they don't. I'm still charging full price for that revival.

Alright, who wants cooked bison meat?

SYSTEM: Looking around, you see a gleaming stone like a pillar of ice atop a mound of snow. You think you may be able to grab the stone if you reach for it...
It's right there. If something bad happens, I've got everything needed to fix it.
Give me a moment...
SYSTEM: Asriel volunteers, and after nearly slipping a few times, manages to grab the stone.

Adularia is a Mine item we can't get until 12F.

There's something angry near us...
SYSTEM: Jackie speaks up, raising their agreement, and points to the south.
W-wolves... Over there...

SYSTEM: It is not facing in your direction, and does not seem to have noticed your presence. You may proceed with caution to stay out of its line of sight, or you may simply dispatch it to remove the obstacle.
No. Nuh-uh. Absolutely not. That thing looks strong, and it looks mean.

Fighting an Ambush Wolf is a great idea if you've got a death wish.

Ambush Wolves stay put when you haven't aggroed them, and turn every few steps. Their vision is roughly a cone shape around them, meaning you can aggro them when you're not in their direct line of sight. If you aggro a wolf, it will chase you until you leave its invisible aggro zone, at which point it will walk back to its original spot, turn to where it was when you aggroed it, and reset its turn counter.

Oh yeah, there's another Chop point here, with Forest Tea for its ingredient.

B-BEHIND US!
Tch! I was careless!

gently caress.

Remember gathering ambushes from the original EO2? They're...well, kinda back. They're not nearly as common as they were in EO2, and the encounters aren't specifically set to be as mean as possible, but it's still a guaranteed blindside.

That is...gonna take a lot of work to fix.

Here's how much Stomp hurts without a physical attack debuff, by the way.

MAKE MINCEMEAT OUT OF ME, WILL YOU?! HOW'S IT FEEL NOW?!

If you're wondering why I broke Issen out a few turns in, it's because Asriel and Ursa kept dying to Stomp, and Stardust and Jackie weren't killing the War Bison quickly enough.

How many bison can be on one floor? Good gods.

Can I please stop running into these things, game?!

Ambush Wolves are easy to get a preemptive on, but I still wouldn't recommend fighting them now.

SYSTEM: You can rest here and admire the snowman, or ignore it and plow onward.
Those bison are taking a lot out of me. Let's just relax for a bit...
I'd normally question how a snowman this cute was built in the Labyrinth... Oh well, it's a very nice snowman.
SYSTEM: You decide to rest your weary feet and admire the snowman for a while. The sight is so incongrously adorable that it naturally soothes your soul.

The entire party recovers 30 TP from saying yes. If you say no, you get into a fight. A fight I'm pretty sure you get blindsided by.

SYSTEM: Well-rested from your short break, you leave the area in a much improved mood.

I don't like the way that wolf's licking its lips...
Get back get back get back!

Hrrew...
Looks like it realized we can outrun it.

Ignore the snarling. Just keep moving. We can outrun it. I think.

Just showing that Ambush Wolf vision is a cone, rather than a direct line. And yes, the cone is not completely obstructed by walls.

Since there's a shortcut back to where we just were, I take this chance to go back to Lagaard and rest up.

Cutlass (+74 ATK) is made from 1 Blue Scale. It's the first 3rd Stratum sword, and is not really worth buying.

Epsilon Axe (+83 ATK) is made from 1 White Gem. Axe upgrades are infrequent enough that it's probably worth buying this thing if you're running an Axe Landsknecht.

Crystal Mace (+63 ATK, +30 TP, +2 TEC) is made from 1 Adularia. The TP and TEC bonuses are nice for caster classes, but you probably don't need to upgrade from whatever staff you last bought in the 2nd Stratum just yet.

Ganyu (+90 ATK) is made from 3 Blue Scales. It's a +4 ATK upgrade over the Heshikiri. Yawn.

Dragonfly Bow (+76 ATK, +10 HP) is made from 1 Severed Wing. It's a very nice upgrade from 2nd Stratum bows, and I'd recommend buying one if you have a Survivalist.

Red Helm (+18 DEF) is made from 1 Red Foreleg. It's a helmet without extra stats. Woo.

Scale Boots (+12 DEF, +10 TP) are made from 5 Blue Scales. Consider that the Quill Boots from the Red Haggis give 1 less DEF in exchange for +1 TEC. Pass.

Hmph. There's more of 'em.
Let's just watch where they're facing, and be as quiet as possible...

That didn't last very long.

This is a really awkward spot. It's entirely possible to get yourself caught in a loop of aggroing the wolf on the bot, running away from its aggro zone, and aggroing the wolf on the top.

Like that.

Rrr, rrr, rrr!
I-is she saying to go?
Yes she is! Move! The wolf's facing away from us!

A-ah...
There's a door to our right! Run!

Ah... Phew...
Well, this is a weird room. There's a bunch of rocks in front of us...and do I hear water from behind the trees?

This spot'll be important for two quests after we finish 11F.

Running in front of this Ambush Wolf isn't a great idea, since you need to go just to its right in order to get out of this room.

Much better.

SYSTEM: To your surprise, you find that this room's floor is covered in ice!

SYSTEM: You tentatively touch the icy floor before you... It seems thick enough for you to walk upon without breaking. You need only shed your anxieties and take the first step. You extend one tentative foot to see if the ice is walkable...
Oh, come on, you big babies. It's perfectly fine to walk on. See--

--eeeEEEEEEEEEK!
Realga?!

You'll forgive the open chest and time difference, I had to record this after the fact due to my laptop being worse than normal and causing the 3DS viewer to drop 10 frames off the end of the sliding.

SYSTEM: It is only due to the fallen snow there that you do not injure yourself from the rumble you take falling into the grass. This may present a problem... Once you step onto the ice, you lose control of your momentum until you run into something. A certain amount of trial and error will be necessary to figure out which path to advance to your goal. It may be best to look around carefully first to find the best way forward before proceeding.
Are you okay, Realga?! C'mon, up you go...
Um... T-thanks. Okay, that was stupid of me...
Least we know how to safely get across this stuff now.

Ice tiles will send you in whatever direction you walked onto them until you hit a solid obstacle. You can't move or change direction at all while sliding.

Thankfully, there's no random encounters while on ice tiles, so we're free to just slide as much as we want until we reach the stairs.

SYSTEM: It's hard to tell the exact number against the snow, but there seem to be at least ten. The snow creatures have not spotted your presence yet... You may have a chance to strike first, though it's also an opportunity to leave quietly.
Quietly now.
SYSTEM: As you begin your charge, the snow underfoot melts, revealing another snow creature!
What the--
SYSTEM: This must be their nest! Dozens of monsters, all alike, appear around you.
They look significantly less cute now...
SYSTEM: You are grievously outnumbered, and completely surrounded with no chance of escape!
S-Stardust--um, Luca... Th-there's something I should tell you before we die.
...Realga?
No time, ladies, look!

SYSTEM: The snow monsters clump up into a single area and begin to combine into one! Its size grows larger by the second, eventually developing into a gargantuan monster! The moment while it's still combining may be your only chance to escape from here!
C'mon, now's the time!
R-right!
RrrrOOOOOOR!
SYSTEM: You screw up your courage and face the gigantic monster! Failing to anticipate your resistance, the conglomeration of snow demons stops moving.
Hmph. What're you frozen bastards waiting for?
SYSTEM: You wait tensely for it to make the first move, but the giant monster suddenly begins to panic! You hear countless piping voices from its hulking frame, as if quarreling with one another. Sensing an opportunity, you take your weapons and charge at the brute!

Snow Swarm
HP: 2800, STR: 30, VIT: 23
Skills:
  • Hailstorm: Uses the arms. Deals severe Ice damage to random targets 3-7 times.
Damage resistances:
  • Normal: Cut, Stab, Bash, Ice
Disable resistances:
  • Normal: Blind, Poison, Paralysis, Curse, Head bind, Arm bind, Leg bind
  • Resist: Panic, Sleep, Fear, Petrification, Instant Death, Stun

A swarm of Snow Ghosts. If they would just act as a unit, they would be unstoppable!

The Snow Swarm is a modified version of a 15F enemy. In fact, they're a modified version of what the Snow Ghosts "biggify" into! This thing can take a while to kill, and can put serious hurt on your party if it casts Hailstorm. Even a high-level Ice Wall won't help, since Hailstorm is random-target and Ice Wall only works once per character for a given turn.

Also note that my choices there led to a preemptive attack. If you make the wrong choices (namely, choosing to run instead of fight), you get blindsided instead!

In a moronic decision, I didn't just have Stardust burn the thing down with Compressed Inferno Formulas. I underestimated how much HP this thing has.

Grr--
It... It froze Ursa...
I don't have medicine for this... Stardust, help me thaw her out!

Bleh. The Snow Swarm's basically a mini-FOE, and I should've treated it as one. I could've probably killed it by now if I just had Stardust throw Compressed Inferno Formulas at it.

The Snow Swarm has FOE resistance to instant death, but I decided to take the gamble anyway.

Oh yeah, sometimes the Snow Swarm does nothing.

Agh. I had such plans.

drat.

Okay, Issen helped. Instant death would've been nice, but the damage wasn't nothing.

Practice your teamwork next time.

Fighting the Snow Swarm is important if you're going for 100% completion, since it's not a missable event fight, and is recorded in the Monstrous Codex as a result.

Oooooh!
SYSTEM: You pick up the stones, which you assume are the remains of the fused beast, before making your exit.

So, Realga, what did you want to tell me?
Uh, um... N-nothing! Nothing important. Incidental details. Money stuff. Let's just get to the twelfth floor, shall we?
...Hee-hee.
Rr?
Same for me. I can't say I understand what just happened.
You don't? It's pretty obvious to me.

Now that the Snow Swarm's taken care of, let's get back to the ice puzzle. It's fairly simple--the room's full of small outcroppings like the one we're bumped into that you just either slide into the corner of or the jutting-out part to go somewhere.

Oh yeah, if there's solid ground on the path you're sliding, it'll stop your slide.

And from that small patch, we can get at the treasure chest. Again, hard to go wrong with free Amritas!

There's also a handy shortcut back to the Geomagnetic Pole room.

And so, we're (mostly) done with 11F.

SYSTEM: He must be a member of the guard corps that you heard about at the Grand Duchy, one still searching for the Snow Bloom. You approach the guard to speak with him.

We're Guild Lumen, yep.
We were the elite, sent on the Minister's orders to find the Snow Blooms, but...
SYSTEM: The guard cuts his speech short there and looks away timidly before continuing.
Conditions here are worse than we'd imagined. The slippery ice keeps us from progressing. We can't find the flowers. We'res taying out of trouble and only searching during the day, but maybe that's not enough...
Knowing the Labyrinth, yeah, those Snow Blooms probably only show up at night.
SYSTEM: The guard falls silent there, and gazes at you before continuing.
This task was too much for us. Do you think we could leave the rest to you?
SYSTEM: The pitiful soldier stands there hugging his own body from the cold and fear. It falls to you to investigate the ice-covered forest and find the Snow Blooms.
Well, the Duchy told us to find the Snow Blooms. Should we get started?
Rrerr nrr.
I'm super-tired after that giant snowman thing...
Let's call it a day, shall we?

Always fun to come back to a finished ad campaign.

Not as much as last time, but still nice.

The North Ward campaign brought in this Protector, who has a passive I actually kind of want.

Hang on. "Barehanded Fafnir?" Isn't that Ranger's special thing? That's what Colette said, anyway.

Yeah, you can find other Fafnirs while Grimoire Trading. It's kind of strange and arguably runs directly counter to the plot since there should only ever be one Fafnir (note: should), but whatever. For the record, Fafnirs are just random events, and aren't tied to any particular ward in the town. Grimoire Trade Beasts follow the same rule.

Anyway, I swap out a max-level trash monster Grimoire for the Protector's level 9 Aegis, which is a passive that gives its owner a chance to survive a mortal hit once per fight at 1 HP. I'm sure it doesn't take a lot of thought to put together that I put this on Ursa. Beasts do have Deadly Resolve, which does the same thing, but it takes 20 skill points total in two passives to max out, something I'd rather put off till later.

Anyway, I set up new ad campaigns to appeal to the Gunners Bureau in the South Ward and the War Lore Study Society in the West Ward.

Let's take care of 12F dialogue. I unlocked nothing from selling our stuff at Sitoth, by the way.

Oh, must've forgotten to close it after the snowman fight.
There, all done up. That should do it, but you need to be more careful! This may be a peaceful little neighborhood, but you still need to be careful! While I was out the other day, I tripped and fell on the road. Apparently, the stone pavement was loose on a hill. I landed right on my hip, and it's been sore all day!
Ouch. That kinda hurts just to hear. But, uh, what does that have to do with our bag?
Huh? What's my point? Um...oh, right. There's more dangerous out there than just the Labyrinth, so you still need to stay cautious. Bahaha!

Abigail's up next.

They say you're climbing Yggdrasil faster than any other guild, and it's only a matter of time before you find the floating castle! I agree!
Well, if the Labyrinth follows the pattern I think it does, we can't be that far.
Remember, even if you become big famous explorers, don't forget about our little shop!

I've already mentioned the postgame 6th Stratum a bunch of times, so make of that what you will. Until then, here's a fun game: try to imagine what the upcoming strata will look like.

Moving over to Regina.

All the background noises just fade away, and the only thing that feels like it matters to me is the recipe's next step. The kitchen's often full of noise, but to me, it feels like the most quiet and peaceful place in the world. ...You probably think that's a little strange, huh?
Nah. From what I've heard about cooking, that sounds about right.

Cass is always fun to talk to.

Coulda done without the comment on War Magi, Cass. But, eh, it's pretty nice to look at.
What's that? It looks "pretty?" Sure, it's pretty for a frozen armpit full of monsters. C'mon, are yeh lot even takin' it seriously?
We had a brush with death less than an hour ago, Cass.
Let me tell yeh something, I hate the cold! When it's winter here, even the inside of the store gets freezing cold...
You don't have to tell me that, Cass. I've lived here since I was a baby!
Not quite as long for me, but I've been here a while, too.
I hate having to open this place up in the morning. My hand gets all numb from the cold! One of these days, I'm gonna live somewhere nice and warm. Tropical. With strong drinks.
Armoroad? You've gotta be talking about Armoroad.
But for that day to come, I'll have to keep slaving away here! Haw haw haw!

Marion's not as fun to talk to as Cass, but still.

Getting used to the frozen forest yet? No matter how skilled of a fighter you are, the cold is bound to slow you down.
Not really.
Not for me.
I trained extensively in the cold, long ago.
But the monsters that have lived there since all their lives have adapted, and grown used to it. Your odds are...not ideal. If your normal approach doesn't work, then you'll have to think quickly. Try some new strategies, and see what works. Well, that's all I have to say for now. Try to avoid unnecessary risks.

And last on the dialogue list, Dubois.

...Tell me, what will you do if you find the floating castle?
Well, I've got a pretty big bill running so far. Could probably just retire comfortably if we go that far and finish!
I'll have gotten everything I wanted out of life after we find the castle. Think I might settle down in High Lagaard.
Rrrr... Rrer rr.
...Find a cheese-loving panda and settle down in the forest? ...Y'know, I don't know what else I could've expected. Me... I dunno! I'll probably think of something when we get closer to the end.
Minister Dubois... Didn't you mention something about ennobling us once we reach the end of the Labyrinth?
Of course, we will honor our promise to grant you the status of a noble! Please, rest assured. It is just...there are some that question whether explorers would actually be interested in receiving that as a reward. For my part, we at the Grand Duchy would like nothing more than for someone of your distinction to join our ranks... Hrm... ...Pardon me, I suppose I got somewhat ahead of myself. Though you have a ways to go, your progress thus far is exemplary. I look forward to your safe return, explorers.

There's no new bar patrons this time, so... No. No, that's the wrong quest. Take it down. We're not even close to being able to take that on.

Much better. This is the first non-grinding DLC quest we can take on.

Y-Yeh're takin' that quest? Yeh're serious? Did yeh even read it? Askin' for hot springs in the forest...'s downright ridiculous!
We've seen weirder in the Labyrinth.
The forest is dangerous enough already, but to hang around shovelin' in it... Why would anyone ever wanna do that? I mean, I did put up the request, but I didn't think that anyone would grab it... Yeh really are nosy, aren't yeh?
I'd say more thorough than nosy.
Well, the client's already picked out a location, apparently. 'Round the southeastern area on the 11th floor. ...But still. Ain't no way yeh can get hot springs outta Yggdrasil, no matter how hard yeh try...right? Either way, its yer funeral now, so go give it a shot until yer client's satisfied, I guess.

Yep. Hot springs. I'll let Fetus show you what that entails in Story mode since it's different there, and you can probably guess what it'll entail if you've ever played a Persona game. For Classic, it's pretty much just your average quest.

Under maintenance:

Hah, yeh're taking that quest? Truly, yeh're heroes to the folks of High Lagaard!

Fun fact: the original EO2's US subtitle was "Heroes of Lagaard." I think the Japanese subtitle was closer to "The Grail of Kings," which we'll see later on, but don't quote me on that.

I warn yeh...it'll be rough. This one involves carrying a huge load.
Eh, it can't be that bad.
Yeh've seen just outside the gate, right? And the shops that line the street... Yeh must have noticed that the roads here are in absolute shambles.
Hanna just told us about tripping on pavement and injuring her hip, yeah.
I'm not just talking about bumps in the road--some of them have huge boulders jutting out! And the problem is just gettin' worse with all the new explorers. To fix up the roads and add some new ones, we'll need a bunch of big rocks. There's a quarry on the 11th floor that we use for times like these. Yer job is to go get rocks from there, one by one. Backbreaking work, that is. So we figured we'd let yeh do it while we sit back and relax! Haw!
Do any of us look like we can carry huge rocks, Cass? Aside from Ursa?
Aww, don't get sore... I'm just kidding. Alright, let's continue. The guards at the quarry will give yeh the stones, but remember, they're huge. Yeh'll have to carry one rock at a time. When you pick 'em up, bring them to the Town Square or to the guard by the Geomagnetic Pole for the 3rd Stratum. Now, the quarry's gonna be around here.

We need three rocks in total, so yeh'll have to make three trips. Take yer time... It's a brutal job, but it's for the good of the town. Just put yer head down and power through!

Playing Cupid I:

...What the hell is this, Cass?
Ah, it's one of those... I accept any posting, but this kind of request... Meh. Ah well, no harm in telling yeh. There's a beautiful woman some ways off. Yeh wouldn't know her. She's a fickle one, with a new man on her arm every day. Most men know to stay well clear. But not this unlucky fella... He's an old friend of hers, and they're on reasonably good terms. So he figures, "What the hell?" and decides to propose.
That's...quite the leap to make. Geez.
He lavishes gifts on her, but she refuses every one. He's tried every method of proposal in the book by now, and more'n a few that aren't. All he can think to do now is try the stuff in the Labyrinth. What he wants is a chunk of Celestine. Some folks call it the "Sky-blue Gem." Yeh can mine it from the 3rd Stratum. It's no easy rock to get ahold of. If a man gave it to a girl, she'd be swept off her feet. It's a silly-sounding request, but... If yeh find some, bring it here, all right? Thanks!

Celestine is an uncommon Mine item that we can get on 12F. It'll be no trouble for the Byeahs to get.

Art imitating life:

Hmm... Taking that quest, eh? It's from Sitoth Trading. But yeh're used to that by now, surely? Go to Sitoth Trading for the whole story. Be seeing yeh!

But...didn't you already sell us what we needed...?

The quest wants us to unlock Red Helms, which we've already done.

Oh nooo, I think the workers forgot to tell Cass! I'm sorry! I'm really sorry! He probably didn't know the quest had already been done...
A-Abigail, it's fine. Please calm down.
They were supposed to tell him, but they must have been too excited to have the materials. I'm really sorry! But it's okay! I think he should still have the reward, if you want to claim it. Please be careful! And come back if you need anything!

Ahh, welcome back! How'd it go? Did they make anything new?
Kinda, yeah.
Haw! Good, good, It seems like yeh're getting along quite cozy with that Abigail... But yeh can count on me to keep my mouth shut. Haw!
...Pardon me, Cass?
Great work as usual, and here's the reward. Keep doing those quests!
No, Cass, come on, what did you mean by that?

Cass?

Yet another point in Preemptive Roar.

Overheal can now boost someone to 175% of their normal HP.

Still holding off on the last Inferno Formula upgrade so Stardust can conserve her TP during Labyrinth exploration.

Another point in Burst Shot. It'll be worth using eventually, I swear.

Next time: hauling rocks, followed by Amazing, Mystical, Magical, Loved-By-Giant-Toads, Rejuvenating Hot Springs! (Only two of those adjectives are truthful.)

Rea fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 6, 2016

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
It's a good thing samurai in this series have flaming blood.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

gently caress the ambush wolves. Things were stupidly annoying even after they had the blue aura on the minimap...

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 21: Nothing Steamy Here

Alright. Let's get started. On that quest.
Where we have to haul a bunch of rocks.
A bunch of big, heavy rocks.
Rrrr. Frr.
Thanks, Ursa!

Under maintenance is pretty easy. We just have to go to the tiles marked on the map, and then go back to the Geomagnetic Pole. Floor Jump obviously makes this trivial.

SYSTEM: As you come closer, they are revealed as a group of miners with a guard standing watch. When the miners notice you, they briefly stop their chatter, then quickly resume it. The soldier, on the other hand, greets you warmly.

We just finished cutting it. It's really heavy... Make sure you don't strain your back.
That's what we have the bear foooooooor oh wow that's even bigger than I thought.
SYSTEM: Behind the guard, you see a huge rock that's been carved into a neat square. It's the size of one of your guild... It won't be easy to take it from the Labyrinth. You thank the guards, and the whole party pitches in Ursa strains herself to heft the rock back to Lagaard. ...You now have the first rock.

HRRRRRRRRGH!
We'll buy you all the food you want after this, Ursa.
...I-I'll even help pay.
...Hmm.

The guard starts talking as soon as we step in front of the Pole.

This would be pretty rough on my own...but if I get help from my comrades, it'll be fine! Thank you very much for your help! Good luck getting the other two! Okay, big guy, let's...get...moving...
Hrrrew...
Still two more. C'mon, let's go get 'em.

SYSTEM: It turns out to be another square-cut booulder, lying placidly on the ground.
They really just left this lying here? Lazy ne'er-do-wells.
SYSTEM: You achily remember the quest you accepted at the bar... You agreed to bring three boulders from the Labyrinth for the road construction. You have only delivered one boulder so far... You have the whole party Ursa hoist the rock to bring it back to town. You now have the second rock.

Got another one for you.
O-oh...this is the...second one. That's...bigger than the last one? W-Well, not by much, right? ...Right? All the guards are busy, so it's just...just me here. And you brought something...even bigger. I... I just can't...
We can just send Ursa back to town with you if you need help. It really wouldn't be a problem.
Ugh... N-No, don't worry. I'll handle it. You all must be tired as well...but please do your best to get the last rock.

This event happens as soon as I step on this tile. It's tied to Hidden Hot Springs!, not Under maintenance.

SYSTEM: ...Do you remember the request you accepted at the bar? You were asekd to dig up a hot spring in the forest. According to the requester, just hbeyond here is a place where one might be able to uncover a hot spring. You can proceed on to dig a hot spring up ahead, or not go about it now.

Not now, game.

SYSTEM: He doesn't notice you, so you call out a greeting.
Heyyyyyy!

You're the ones who took the quest, right?
Guild Lumen, at your service.
Good... I had to stay here and wait for you. It's about time you got here. The rock's right over there. Have at it!
SYSTEM: He grins at you, then jogs back to the Labyrinth's entrance. You wearily think back to your quest...isn't it finished yet? You were tasked with bringing three rocks from the Labyrinth back to town. You've already delivered two, which makes this the last rock! Your party gathers around the rock, pooling your strength to lift the boulder. Ursa hefts the boulder with all of her strength. You now have the third rock.
It's almost over, Ursa. C'mon, just a bit more!
Hrr... Hrr... Hrr... HRRRRRGH!

......Really!? Really. There weren't any smaller ones? At all?
This was the only rock in that tiny corridor.
This is...three times the size of the last one...haha...hah...
Our bear's been lifting all of these from here to the Pole. At least you just warp right back to town.
...S-Sorry, I shouldn't complain... You already brought the thing over here, so you must be as tired as I am.
Rrr-hrr...
Thank you very much for your help. With these, we can continue with the road construction. It'll really help the city. Please accept your reward from the owner of the bar. I...guess I've got a job to do here. A...painful, exhausting, long job. ...Thank you so very much.

That really didn't take very long, did it?

Fantastic job! Yeh really showed them what yeh can do! The reward's over on the table. I can't wait to see what Lagaard looks like with improved roads! Even I 'spected that all yeh can do is find treasure or slay beasties. Seeing yeh lot help out the town like this... I'm touched!
Well, we wouldn't be exploring Yggdrasil were it not for the town.
...Some guard was movin' the rocks through the city earlier. What happened to him? Fella looked like the walkin' dead. Welp, whatever. He must'a been through somethin' rough. Here, yer reward. Thanks again!

The Kotegiri's another disabling weapon. If you need a refresher on those: they only have 10 ATK, but you gain a chance to inflict a certain disable when performing normal attacks, based on the weapon. In the Kotegiri's case, it attempts to bind the target's arms. These things are universally garbage, and the Kotegiri's no exception. The only guild members who can use katanas without Grimoires are Asriel and Ranger, both of whom have garbage LUC.

Still leveling up passives on Asriel for now. Consider that Asriel gets 1% extra physical damage per skill point in Phys ATK Up, and you'll see why investing in passives before you have the actives you want is a bad idea.

Alright, let's take care of Hidden Hot Springs! now.

I somehow doubt we'll find a spring in this small clearing.
SYSTEM: ...It would be difficult to begin digging up a hot spring without more space to work. You decide to head down the path in search of a place large enough to dig up a hot spring.

Secret/DLC areas, by and large, are just small areas with pointless twists.

There's steam rising from that crack in the ice...
Think we've found our spot.

Get out your shovels, everyone. Ursa, get your shovel claws out.
SYSTEM: You all work together to dig into the ground...

Sound effects of shovels hitting ice play here.

SYSTEM: After some time, you notice that the hole you've dug is quite deep and wide.
I--hah--don't think there's a spring here...
Digging into ice...is harder than I thought...
SYSTEM: ...It may be time to call it. It doesn't seem likely that you'll find a hot spring here.
...Hrr?
Don't give up just yet. Doesn't the ground feel like it's getting warmer?
SYSTEM: Just as you find yourself thinking this, you realize the ground beneath your spade feels somewhat different... Could it be a hot spring?
All right, one last push!

I-I hit something... I don't think it's a spring, though...
SYSTEM: However, you seem to have used too much force--the shovel puts a deep gash in what seems to be the root of a plant! ...To your shock, you see that water has started gushing out from the root that you inadvertently cut into! ...And this is no ordinary water. It appears to be steaming hot!
Woah woah woah--!
SYSTEM: Surprised, you watch the hot water continue to pour out and fill the hole you dug.

...What just happened?
I...might've hit some part of Yggdrasil, I think?
Doesn't explain why it had steaming water inside of it.
Oh, who cares about the water's origin? We found it. That's what matters.
SYSTEM: Though perplexed at the hidden reservoir of water in the root, you celebrate with your allies at the spring's discovery.

Imagine a frog with a very deep voice croaking right now.

...Ursa. Please tell me that's just your best frog impression.
Rr-rr.
SYSTEM: ...However, your rejoicing is short-lived. You hear a bizarre croaking from behind you... As the croaking gets louder, you hear a loud stomping from behind that shakes the ground with every step closer!

Of all the things that could've happened, we had to attract a gigantic toad that loves hot springs.
Even for our explorations, this is just bizarre.
SYSTEM: It seems it sensed the appearance of a new water source, and has appeared to take advantage of it. With a heavy stomping, it heaves its wrinkled bulk towards you, charging in your direction! The monster is clearly headed towards the springs, but with you in its path, it shows no signs of stopping!
We spent a long, long time digging that spring. You've got another think coming if you want to mooch off our work!
Asriel, that has to be the stupidest--
FREELOADER TOAD!
RRRROOOORRRR!
...Why me?
SYSTEM: Now, take your weapons in hand and strike down the amphibious freeloader!

Hello, thread namesake.

:siren: VIDEO: Boss: Gentle Toad :siren:

Scatter About has been in every EO game since EO1. Literally all of them--although it was only used for one boss in EO1. It's generally used for postgame boss fights, but most of the DLC bosses in EO2U use it as well. I'm not a terribly big fan of it after it lost the super-loud BWEEEEOOOOWWWWWWW at the start of the EO1/2 DS version of the track.

Oh, right, the Gentle Toad.

Gentle Toad
HP: 9000, STR: 27, VIT: 23
Skills:
  • Transfix: Cannot be disabled. Telegraphs which party member will be the target of Lick Around or Hug.
  • Get Excited: Cannot be disabled. Happens after a certain number of Hugs/Lick Arounds. Telegraphs that the Gentle Toad is about to spam Hydro Jump.
  • Heavy Jump: Uses the legs. Deals moderate Bash damage to one target, with splash damage.
  • Lick Around: Uses the head. Attempts to Panic the target, and lowers their physical/elemental defense for 3 turns.
  • Hug: Uses the arms. Deals heavy Bash damage to one target. Attempts to completely bind the target.
  • Hydro Jump: Uses the legs. Deals severe Ice damage to the entire party.
Drops:
  • Normal: Thorny Hide. Sells for 960 en. 1 needed to make Rubber Pauldron (+4 DEF, Reduces Volt damage by 25%).
    "Thorny cheek skin that can stretch and expand. Its elasticity is used to make special armor."
  • Conditional: Crushed Skin (Kill with Bash damage). Sells for 2114 en. 1 needed to make Bikini Armor (+1 DEF, Reduces all elemental damage by 50%).
    "Frog skin crushed with tremendous strength. Now compressed, it has remarkable power."
Damage resistances:
  • Normal: Cut, Stab, Bash
  • Weak: Fire, Volt
Disable resistances:
  • Normal: Paralysis, Panic, Sleep, Fear, Head bind, Arm bind, Leg bind
  • Weak: Poison
  • Nullify: Blind, Curse, Petrification, Instant Death, Stun
Pattern:
  • 100% to 75% HP: Only uses normal attacks.
  • 75% to 50% HP: Does two attacks or Heavy Jumps. After that, transfixes on a character and uses either Lick Around or Hug (rare). Gets excited after 2 Transfix actions. Calms down after 3 Hydro Jumps.
  • 50% to 25% HP: Does one attack or Heavy Jump. After that, transfixes on a character and uses either Lick Around or Hug. Gets excited after 2 Transfix actions. Calms down after 3 Hydro Jumps. Transfixes on a character again after calming down.
  • 25% HP to death: Gets excited after one Transfix action. Uses Hug more often than Lick Around.

An ambushing toad that pesters wayfarers. Its throat bulges when excited.

The Gentle Toad is honestly kind of a boring boss. Its damage output isn't that bad, but it doesn't really have that much stuff you need to really worry about, aside from the Hydro Jump spam. If you have a Protector, you basically get 3 free turns. If you don't, and can't end the fight very quickly...ahaha, oh man, sucks to be you.

I didn't attempt for the conditional drop in this fight since my only sources of Bash damage are autoattacks from Ursa, Realga, and Stardust, and I'm on an extremely strict time limit here, but I will want the Bikini Armor sometime before the end of the postgame.

Asriel needs to set up Upper Stance.

Neither the Gentle Toad's attacks nor Heavy Jump hurt that hard, so I'll just have Ursa make them borderline-laughable.

Still getting good mileage out of that Warrior Song Grimoire.

If you couldn't predict Stardust setting up Compression, I dunno what to tell you.

Jackie turns on Action Boost immediately since I need as much damage as possible as quickly as possible.

C-Calm down, Ursa, no need to shout like that.

Hrup! We'll teach you to take without giving!

Yeah, like I said, Beast Roar really makes Gentle Toad's damage even more manageable. Even our back line could survive that.

...That's not even singing. That's just random noises.
Would you rather have me do that, or just scream one tone continuously?
Please just make the noises.

I probably should upgrade Jackie's gun soon, but she's still dishing out decent damage.

Asriel will just spam Horse Slash until Upper Stance runs out.

Ursa can definitely withstand anything the Gentle Toad can throw at us right now.

While Realga negates any damage Ursa takes.

Here comes the Inferno Formula spam.

Don't worry, I've got bandages and salves ready.

It's better than what Asriel was putting out vs. Arachne, since I finally upgraded his katana, but it's still less than ideal compared to Stardust and Jackie.

Hit-Taker + Beast Roar = heavily reduced physical damage. How's that for advanced-level theoretical spatial time anomaly-related calculus?

Ever think you might get better fire out of those weird gloves of yours than just bunching up some matches?
These matches have served me well both in the theater and in the Labyrinth. I see no reason to replace them.

Alchemists are seriously a really good class. They deal very, very nice damage throughout the entire game thanks to Compression.

The Gentle Toad nullifies stuns, but Supreme Bolt is still free damage comparable to an Action Boosted Charged Fire, so eh. I forgot about the stun nullification, though, which means I had Ursa waste a turn not doing any tanking! Go me.

Realga has nothing to do this turn, so I'll just have her prep Overheal instead.

Oh crap, I don't think it cares about my stun bullets...

Oof. Ursa, I get that your roar is terrifying, but--
Rrrh, rrrh.

Uh... W-what's it looking at me like that for...?

Hopefully Realga can get Salve off before the Gentle Toad acts.

Phew.

YOU GET THAT TONGUE AWAY FROM ME--

Ahah. Ahahaha. Man, that tongue works wonderrrrrs.
Realga? Realga, snap out of it! REALGA!
She's more carefree than Phoebe is now. Think I prefer it this way.

Fix her RIGHT NOW, you affront to nature!

This thing sure eats a lot of bullets.

Ha--oof.
Rrrgh. Do we seriously not have any Thericas?

Ahaha, ha... Always make sure you have some Therica As and Bs, folks.

I feel...oddly heartier than normal.

Ooh, here's a fun bug I discovered doing my 5 Medics run. If a Medic gets panicked (and maybe petrified, too, but I'm not sure) on the turn they cast a healing skill combined with Overheal, the Overheal bonus HP doesn't get properly cleaned up on the turn the Medic is panicked. This only lasts for 1 turn, but we still get a much beefier party. It's obviously really hard to exploit this bug normally, since single-target ailments are few and far between amongst bosses, and getting one to target your Medic is purely random chance.

Rrgh...

GGGGGGGGRRRRRROOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
Holy gods, Ursa! Calm down a little! Realga'll be fine!

And here's an even more fun bug tied to that previous one. Overheal and Desperation normally don't stack, but if the Overheal bug takes effect, Desperation works off of the lingering bonus HP, meaning your Beast gets 525% of their normal HP for one turn. We now have a mega-tank for one turn. Pretty good.

This thing needs to die before Realga does something inadvisable!

Rrk!
Ahaheh, sorry, Ursa. Just kinda threw my staff there...

Oops. Forgot to recast Compression.

Hey, Luca... I never toldja what I wanted to say when I thought we were gonna die ta those snowmen.

Uh... What is it?
No, not now...!

Stare elsewhere, demon toad! Or I'll slice you faster than the hare defeated you in a race!

TIME TILL DEATH: 3

Okay, it's almost dead. Phew. I can probably end this fight before the Hydro Jump spam comes out.

I'll not make the same mistake twice.

I never realized it till I got jealous seein' ya get cozy 'n shy with ol' Charlotte when ya came back from that show in Tharsis...
W-wha?
Rrr?
No no no, this is the wrong time for this! Of all the times to not pack Thericas...!

Whoops, there went my staff again. Gimme a sec...

Grk!

TIME TILL DEATH: 2

I didn't want to use three images to show it, but Ursa got completely bound by Hug there.

Okay, that's kinda gross.

TIME TILL DEATH: 1

Welp. It's either we kill it or it kills us now.

I can't even use True Endurance to be safe since Ursa's completely bound.

OUCH!
But yeah, I didn't realize it until I thought about it, but...

TIME TILL DEATH: 0

I l--

...What just happened to me?
L-let's not talk about it...
Phew, I guess...

Fate Averted!

The Gentle Toad's turn was gonna come right after that. Holy poo poo that was close.

What an absolutely bizarre creature.
Even for a Labyrinth monster, that thing was weird. ...Oh gods, ew, I've still got toad saliva on me.
Ick... Yeah, I don't think the rest of us are faring much better. That thing was exhausting to fight.
SYSTEM: As you sigh in exhaustion, you slowly become aware of a warm, inviting breeze in the air.

SYSTEM: With you so tired and weary, the steam looks appealing indeed, rising off the water's surface into the frigid air...
Oh, screw it. I think we've earned a quick soak in that--Wait. Uh, Asriel...?
I'll leave you girls to the spring. I can get by just fine sitting in the snow on the other side of the door.
Thanks. I dunno how that works, but oh well!
Rr.
SYSTEM: Nonchalantly excusing it as necessary warmth and relief of exhaustion, you cast off your wet clothes and enter the springs.

So, uh, I didn't say anything weird when I was out of it, did I?
N-no! ...Not at all.
Rr-rr.
Nope. You just kept...hitting us with your staff. ...Ow, my head still hurts...
If I ever see another toad again, it'll be too soon.
...So, Realga. You talked a while back about that hat guy while you were at med school?
Oh, she's told me about him before...
SYSTEM: The hot water warms your bodies, and the contrast of the cold outside air against your heated faces is truly wonderful. You decide to spend some time resting in this warm bliss...

...You're not actually trying to set them up, right?
Aw, c'mon, think about it! Wouldn't those two be cute together? Plus, it'd fit the story he's trying to make!
Pfffffhrhrhr.
I hate to interrupt this riveting discussion, but it's getting late. We should probably tell Cass about this spring and get some rest. We're starting our search for the Snow Blooms tomorrow.
...Eh, you're right. We'll have to come back with some of the others another time, though. This was kinda fun!
Let's go get Asriel and head back to town.

The entire party gets a pointless full HP/TP heal from the hot springs. And no, you can't use the hot springs like the recovery basins from EO1/EOU--the spring just turns back into a patch of ice after you've turned the quest in, and you can't interact with the spring after getting the heal.

SYSTEM: You have completed the request to dig up a hot spring in the forest. You should head back to the bar when you have time, and report your success.

Oh, this request. Yeah, like I said, ain't any way yeh--
We found a spring, Cass.
W-Wait, yeh dug some up!? Hot springs come from underground, right!? Then how the hell is somethin' like that poppin' up inside a drat tree!?
I'm pretty sure I hit some kind of root of Yggdrasil, and it started spouting hot water.
...Hot water spewin' from the tree itself, eh...? Well, I guess Yggdrasil really is full of surprises. I heard that in Ontario--oh, uh, some faraway land--there's a tree full of liquid sugar, so I guess it's kinda like that... *sigh* I figured it'd be impossible, but I guess the world is pretty mysterious. Looks like yer client had the right idea all along. ...Maybe I can get some money outta the requester still. Not too late to get in his good books, eh? ...Eh? What's with the faces? Ain't it a fine thing to have lots of friends to help yeh out? Haw haw haw haw! Yeh lot oughta meet more people. And then I can meet 'em through yeh, and we'll all have connections! Here, take yer reward!

I legitimately could not care less about the Analysis Scopes, but the Return Flutes are very, very nice. The EXP reward's also fairly huge.

LEVELING UP PASSIVES EXCITING AMAZING FANTASTIC WOW

Another small boost to Salve.

I'll start putting points in Thor Formula at this point.

Hey, look, another Burst Shot level.

And lastly, here's what the Toad's normal drop unlocks.

Rubber Pauldron (+4 DEF, 25% Volt damage reduction) is made from 1 Thorny Hide. It's complete trash. The Volt damage reduction is barely anything, and certainly not enough to offset the fact that it gives 4 goddamn DEF.

Next time: the hunt for the Snow Blooms begins.

Rea fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 13, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
A hot spring episode where someone almost confesses due to being licked by a giant monster toad that distresses the mascot bear character.

There's probably an anime of this. I feel like Persona 4 probably has most of that somewhere.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

A hot spring episode where someone almost confesses due to being licked by a giant monster toad that distresses the mascot bear character.

There's probably an anime of this. I feel like Persona 4 probably has most of that somewhere.

I tried to avoid having anime seep into the update, I really did, but I had to think of something to "top" Panicked Stardust spewing John Galt nonsense. It's also scientifically proven that you cannot separate hot springs and anime.

(Fun semi-unrelated fact: the initial draft for this update included the "boss fight" just being a solo Ursa beating the poo poo out of the Gentle Toad on Picnic but I scrapped that because the in-game text didn't give me enough room to justify that. All the strikethroughs in the world wouldn't have helped.)

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Ragnar Homsar posted:

(Fun semi-unrelated fact: the initial draft for this update included the "boss fight" just being a solo Ursa beating the poo poo out of the Gentle Toad on Picnic but I scrapped that because the in-game text didn't give me enough room to justify that. All the strikethroughs in the world wouldn't have helped.)

I don't think you need justification for something like that, frankly.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
The Art of Etrian Odyssey II: Part 2

Guess what time it is? That's right, it's artbook time! With a different theme from last time, though--this time, we'll be doing the Story party and most of the NPCs! Exhilarating, no?

Fafnir battle portrait art.

We haven't seen the gold-accented version yet, but feel free to speculate (to yourself) what it's for!

Fafnir design concepts, including the Black Guardian for comparison to Fafnir's advanced Transform art.

His hand-in-front-of-face pose on the second page makes me think of Owain from Fire Emblem Awakening.

Fafnir CG and intro movie sketches. I'm almost certain these weren't drawn by Yuji Himukai, but rather someone at Madhouse, who Atlus contracted the CG/movie stuff to.

Arianna battle portrait art.

Arianna reference pose (with panties sketch removed), glove sketch, and neutral dialogue expression sketch.

Arianna expressions. Fun fact, Arianna has the most expressions out of any character in Story mode--over double the amount that Flavio, Bertrand, and Chloe each get.

I'm particularly fond of the center-right expression of the second page.

Child Arianna expressions.

I guess Sovereigns are born with those weird inverse pupils. If you've been paying close attention, you'll have noticed that all of the Sovereign portraits plus Arianna have that weird thing going on where their pupils are white.

Arianna CG and intro movie sketches.

Flavio battle portrait art.

Am I crazy or is Flavio not actually pulling on his bowstring in his battle art?

Flavio sketches.

Flavio's design kinda stands out compared to his class's normal portraits since he has fairly heavy, warm clothing on, while Survivalists (especially the female portraits) have very light-looking clothing on. His design actually borrows more from EO4 Snipers than EO1/2 Survivalists--namely the goggles and the metal chestplate thing.

Flavio portraits.

Flavio CG and intro movie sketches.

Chloe battle portrait art.

I really don't know what's going with her pose, to tell you the truth.

Chloe sketches.

Chloe's War Edge is considerably shorter than what the normal War Magi portraits use.

Chloe portraits.

Chloe CG and intro movie sketches.

I dunno why, but Chloe's shoes look like Arthur from EOU's Alchemist Palm to me. I think it's the weird screw things along with the green part.

Bertrand battle portrait art.

Bertrand sketches.

You can see what Bertrand's armor looks like here. Much like how Flavio borrows from EO4 Snipers, Bertrand's armor has more in common with EO4 Fortresses than EO1/2 Protectors.

Bertrand portraits.

Bertrand CG and intro movie sketches.

Story party plus Artelinde and Wilhelm intro movie reference poses, along with weapon sketches.

Child Fafnir and Arianna sketches, plus...pfffffffffffahahahaha. Sorry, gimme a moment...

Alright, yeah, REALLY early Transform sketches. I'm really glad none of these saw the light of day, they look utterly ridiculous. I think it's a combination of the eyes and color schemes.

Shigeo Komori (EO2U director) notes (provided from the English pre-order mini-artbook):

quote:

When we first started brainstorming for this game, I told Yuji Himukai, "This time, the main character should transform!" He came back to me with a sketch that looked like an American super hero transformation! It's cool and all, but not what I had in mind...so I had to give it a pass.

Story party hair and color scheme concepts. Translations are taken from the English pre-order mini-artbook. Sorry the font's a standard boring sans serif font, but I don't have any of those fancy comic book fonts laying around.

WHY DIDN'T THEY STICK WITH MULLET BERTRAND. HE'S BEAUTIFUL.

Komori comments:

quote:

In contrast, Arianna came back adorable, and exactly as I imagined. We were discussing whether or not she should cut her hair as an event in the game...so here are some of the designs for her with short hair.

Although Chloe remained more or less the same, we had a long-haired version of Bertrand, but it seemed too out of character, so we changed it to how it is now.

Flavio's design...was changed at the strong urging of the ladies on the team.

REALLY early Chloe concepts, along with three characters who were completely scrapped.

Komori:

quote:

At first, Himukai suggested we make the War Magus a girl from the Midgard Library who loves Arthur. I thought that was a nice idea, but then Chloe developed into the girl she is now. Sorry, Arthur...

Early on in development, we wanted to introduce the most popular restaurant in all of High Lagaard. You'd have to defeat three sisters, rival chefs of Japanese, Chinese, and French cuisines, to obtain their recipes, and then defeat the ultimate genius chef to earn the final recipe...but we decided against it, because the game was getting a little away from us.

Phew. Let's move onto the NPCs and call it a day, shall we?

Hanna (Hannah) and Quona (Kuona).

I dunno why Quona went from looking neutral/happy in sketches to constantly worried in her final art. I also don't know what half the stuff in her design is for--a hat with 4 buttons? A zipper with a star-shaped hole in it? Whatever those things strapped to her arms are?

Abigail (Eclair) and Cass (Antonio).

Cass is my favorite bartender in EO--part of it is his dialogue (even if he rambles a lot), and part of it is his visual design.

Marion and the guards.

We haven't seen Marion without her helmet yet (in fact, we won't see that until the postgame), but oh well. I like how the guard sketch implies that Medic 2 apparently took up a side job as a guard. :v:

Regina plus expressions.

I kinda like the blue apron with white boots color scheme more than her final colors.

Hrothgar and Wulfgar (Kurogane). RIP.

It's never mentioned in EO2 or EO2U at all, but Hrothgar's family is renowned for being dragon slayers. You only learn about it in EO3, where Hrothgar's sister, named Wealh, shows up in a postgame quest and is murdered by a dragon, shortly followed by your party taking revenge for her. Call me crazy, but I'd rather die fighting a dragon than Chimaera. And yes, both Hrothgar and Wealh's armors have that crest on them.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Snow Swarm
HP: 2800, STR: 30, VIT: 23
Skills:
  • Hailstorm: Uses the arms. Deals severe Ice damage to random targets 3-7 times.
Damage resistances:
[list]
[*]Normal: Cut, Stab, Bash, Ice
[*]Weak: Firce

Itty bitty typo. Did not realize there were two updates.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 22: This Ice Ain't Nice

Iiiiiiiit's Snow Bloom day!
Do you really have to be so cheery about it?
It'll be like going through any other Labyrinth floor, honestly. We already completely map them.

Alright, let's finally take care of 12F.

Much like 11F, I have nothing to say about preparations, so let's just get straight into it.

Did Dubois even tell us where the Snow Blooms are besides "on the twelfth floor?"
We'll find 'em eventually. Let's just start.

More ice? Are we really sure we don't have some kind of super-traction boots that let us walk on the ice?

12F in the original EO2 had a massive central area filled with a bunch of ice tiles. Evidently Atlus didn't think that idea was worth re-treading, since 12F in EO2U is pretty much B21F from EO3 (the first floor of Cyclopean Haunt)--tons of narrow corridors with slippery tiles all over.

SYSTEM: But as fearsome as the monster's outward appearance is, it is fast asleep and shows no sign of moving.
A sleeping FOE. Well, that's a new one.
Don't think we can really budge it without waking it up. Guess we'll just have to find another way to that area behind it.
SYSTEM: You let out a sigh of relief and banish your worries before leaving the monster to its sleep.

Oh yeah, here's the other primary gimmick of 12F. Hell Dragons will be sitting around in certain places on the floor, sometimes blocking your way, sometimes not. During the day, they'll be asleep (and yes, starting a fight with them whie they're sleeping in the Labyrinth does make them start the fight asleep). During the night, they'll be patrolling a linear path back and forth.

Fighting a Hell Dragon at this point (even while it's asleep), by the way, is a really terrible idea.

Is that...a door over there?
Looks like it.

We'll be reaching that small area much later in the floor.

Rrr!
SYSTEM: Sunlight shines down through the crystal...it somewhat resembles a budding flower.
I think that might be a Snow Bloom...?
I don't think the Duchy will want it in this state.
SYSTEM: If you come back once the sun has set, the resemblance may grow even stronger...

The game will let you know where a Snow Bloom spot is during the day, but you'll have to check them at night to actually get the things.

You think it dug out that little crevice itself? Seems kind of pointless otherwise.
So you think the Labyrinth was planned out by someone--or something? I don't think there's much of a "point" to anything in this place.
Well, all of the floors we've gone through have all revolved a central gimmick each. I can see where that idea comes from.

Six front legs seem like they'd be a hindrance.
That mane's kinda amazing, though.

Sleipnir
HP: 474, STR: 29, VIT: 22
Skills:
  • Trample: Uses the legs. Deals ~4 instances of heavy Bash damage to random targets.
Drops:
  • Normal: Red Mane. Sells for 122 en. 1 needed to make Rouge Whip (+75 ATK). 3 needed to make Red Cuirass (+36 DEF).
    "Fine hair from a Sleipnir's mane. Rare and striking, it sells out quickly."
  • Ingredient: Horse Filet. 3 needed for Forest Paella (Western Food 3; Recovers TP at end of turn). 5 needed for Horse Bao (Chinese Food 3; Greatly increases party's resistance to Sleep).
    "Lean meat of a monster horse."
Damage resistances:
  • Normal: Cut, Stab, Bash, Fire, Ice, Volt
Disable resistances:
  • Normal: Blind, Poison, Paralysis, Panic, Fear, Petrification, Instant Death, Stun, Head bind, Arm bind, Leg bind
  • Weak: Curse
  • Resist: Sleep

An eight-legged horse that gallops over its target at great speeds.

Another uninteresting enemy. Trample hits kinda hard, but as long as it doesn't hit the same non-Ursa person more than once, we'll be fine.

Rrrrf!

I can fix the wounds, but I dunno if I can fix the hoof marks.

"Neigh" to you.

The Fishman died without much of a fight.

No matter how many times we slide, I still feel uneasy.
Rrm.
I really hope the next few floors don't have as much ice in them...

...Are we REALLY sure we can't kill that thing? That treasure looks--
No.

We'll be able to get that treasure once night rolls around.

Claw Beetle
HP: 459, STR: 26, VIT: 24
Skills:
  • Harsh Buzz: Uses the head. Attempts to inflict head bind on the entire party.
Drops:
  • Normal: Divine Carapace. Sells for 129 en. 1 needed to make Cut Talisman (Reduces Cut damage by 25%). 5 needed to make Ring Mail (+39 DEF). 8 needed to make Head/Arm/Leg Liberator (Separate items; Attempts to bind all enemies' heads/arms/legs).
    "Carapace with metals unknown to humans. Used to make both weapons and medicine."
  • Conditional: Crushed Carapace (Kill with Bash damage). Sells for 163 en. 1 needed to make Tabarzin (+100 ATK, +3 AGI).
    "Crushed carapace of a hard-shelled beetle. Gets harder the more it's struck."
  • Ingredient: Meaty Shell. 2 needed to make Crab Cream Croquette (Western Food 3; Raises all party members' LUC by 10). 1 needed to make Forest Paella (Western Food 3; Recovers TP at end of turn). 3 needed to make Snow Crab Foo Young (Chinese Food 3; Greatly increases party's resistance to arm binds). 1 needed to make Crab Chazuke (Japanese Food 3; Slightly increases chance of getting Enemy Grimoire Chances).
    "Filled to the brim with meat."
Damage resistances:
  • Normal: Bash
  • Weak: Fire, Ice, Volt
  • Resist: Cut, Stab
Disable resistances:
  • Normal: Blind, Paralysis, Panic, Sleep, Curse, Fear, Petrification, Instant Death, Stun, Arm bind, Leg bind
  • Weak: Poison
  • Resist: Head bind

A large insect with a hard shell that deflects bullets and swords.

Claw Beetles are kind of annoying to take down without elemental damage. That's really all there is to them. If you're using an Axe Landsknecht, you should definitely go for the conditional drop, since the Tabarzin is very nice.

Hmph. Chipped my blade.

I really can't overstate how great Stardust is at just deleting random encounters. She killed both of the Snow Ghosts in one shot and hurt the Claw Beetle for over half its HP.

Pa-pow!

I swear these things are intentionally sleeping in the worst possible places.

TREASURE!

Owwwww, my hand, ow, ow...
Even the swiftest swordsmen couldn't open that thing while moving.
How would you get the actual treasure even if you opened it?
I can--ow--dream.

Another Snow Bloom spot.

Realga, you're keeping the map up to date, right?
It's annoying with how much we're sliding on ice, but yeah. I'm charging double for floors with ice on them.
I don't wanna think about how lost we'd be without that map.

I'm getting kinda sick of these lizards.

Snow Lizard
HP: 276, STR: 20, VIT: 18
Skills:
  • Freezing Breath: Uses the head. Deals light Ice damage to the entire party.
Drops:
  • Normal: White Metal. Sells for 144 en. 3 needed to make Whitefang Spear (+86 ATK). 5 needed to make Godhunter (+73 ATK). 2 Metal Horns and 1 White Metal needed to make Talwaar (+82 ATK). 4 White Metals and 1 Giant Tusk needed to make Ochiba (+98 ATK).
    "Sturdy, white bones of a winged creature. Used often in weapons for its toughness."
Damage resistances:
  • Normal: Cut, Stab, Bash, Volt
Disable resistances:
  • Normal: Poison, Panic, Sleep, Curse, Petrification, Instant Death, Stun, Head bind, Arm bind, Leg bind
  • Weak: Fear
  • Resist: Blind, Paralysis

A lizard with an affinity for ice. It tries to chill its prey with its breath.

Snow Lizards aren't that bad on their own, but much like the Flame Lizards from the 2nd Stratum, multiple Freezing Breaths can actually put some really serious hurt on your party if you're not prepared.

A minor setback.
S-speak for y-yourself.

Realga and Ursa took considerably less damage because they were defending. You can also kinda see how TEC factors into the elemental damage formula going by how much damage Asriel, Ursa and Jackie (very low, low and low-ish TEC, respectively) took compared to Realga (high-ish TEC, high-ish VIT) and Stardust (high TEC).

Like I said, one Lizard on its own isn't that bad, but multiples mean that Freezing Breath damage starts to stack up.

My flame, wreathed in blades!

Flame Grater is an Upper Stance skill that deals Cut+Fire damage to one row of enemies. Yeah, it still requires Upper Stance be set up, but it lets Asriel contribute a bit more to random encounters.

Only one more Snow Bloom location left to find.

The Chop point here gives Petit Onions for its ingredient.

Someone's keeping track of the time, right? I'd rather not have these things suddenly wake up on us.
Wouldn't it be nice to get the mission done in one go, though?

Hold up...

LEMME AT IT, I HAVE TO MAKE IT PAY!
Realga-- It's just-- A squirrel! Stop!

If you didn't learn your lesson the first two times, you can let the squirrel steal another Ariadne Thread from your pack.

Something tells me the last Snow Bloom isn't behind that door.
Might as well just see if the stairs are behind here, though!

SYSTEM: You enter and are met with a cheerful voice ringing out.

SYSTEM: The woman who makes her presence known with those words is Artelinde. She gazes at you, as if searching for something.
If you're here...then aren't you on a mission for the Grand Duchy to search for the Snow Blooms?
...How do you know that?
W-what she means is, yes, we're doing just that!
We just wanted to see what was beyond this door.
You won't find them past here, I can tell you that. All that's up ahead are the stairs to the next floor.
SYSTEM: The woman glances over her shoulder as she speaks before looking back to you.
Great. We'd just like to learn where the stairs--
You really should finish the mission before going further.
Good advice, but I'm not one for following--
SYSTEM: With that, the woman casually blocks your path--intentionally, you suspect. It seems you have no choice to turn back for now.
Grrrr.
Come on, Realga, let's not start anything...

At least there's a shortcuts back to the stairs here. I'm not headed back to town yet, though, since there's only a little bit of the floor left to map.

I think this is what that lovestruck guy told Cass he needed.
I really doubt this is gonna convince the person he has his eyes on.

And this is the last Snow Bloom spot.

...Well, that was abrupt.
Brrr...
I-it just got a lot colder, t-too...
We've been exploring for longer than I thought.

Yeah, the game just kinda goes from perfect daylight to night within the span of a few seconds when the clock ticks from 6 PM to 7 PM.

However, since it's now nighttime, we can go get the Snow Blooms!

Right after I pick up trash from the Labyrinth floor.

My word, that's a gorgeous flower.
SYSTEM: Could this be the Snow Bloom that Minister Dubois asked you to retrieve? The flower blooms alone in the frigid night air...
: Alright, carefully now...
SYSTEM: You reach out to pluck the flower blooming quietly in the snow... Taking the icy, sublime flower in hand, you leave the area.

One down, three to go.

Nothing interesting happens as I backtrack to the Snow Bloom spots.

Aside from this irritating encounter.

A short time later, though...

Is that...stomping I hear behind us?

Eep.
SYSTEM: You recall it being fast asleep when you last saw it, but now it's placidly stomping about on the path. It would seem the dragon is active at this time of day... You commit that fact to memory as you resume exploring the snowy forest.

Like I mentioned before, the Hell Dragons become active at night, and patrol linear paths back and forth. A few of them block off paths, but they don't make parts of the floor unexplorable.

...This is just a potion made out of pulverized rocks. Why does every treasure we come across have to be useless?
Y-you sure it's just pulverized rocks? It feels kinda evil...

Petrify Gas has a really low chance to petrify every enemy in a battle. You may think this is kind of a random treasure, but the Hell Dragons' conditional drop actually requires that you petrify them. Aside from monster Grimoires, the only ways we can do that are Petrify Gases and the Scorpion skill for Sword Dark Hunters. The latter is not an option with how I've built Freyja, and it's really finicky anyway. I'll have to come back to 12F later with Sophie and just keep restarting the game until I finally petrify one of the Hell Dragons.

Hold up.

We have all of the Snow Blooms. Why don't we just go back to Lagaard now?

I wandered around aimlessly for a bit before I realized I actually had all four Snow Blooms. Back to town we go!

Oh man that's a lot of stuff to take care of. Let's go turn in the mission, first.

Oho! I see you succeeded in collecting the Snow Blooms! We now have another of the ingredients mentioned in the ancient documents... Please wait here, brave explorers. I must consult my Lady...
Take your time.

Truly!? Minister Dubois, do they wait in the antechamber still? I would express my gratitude to them in person!
L-Lady Gradriel...th-that's...
Stay. As the Duke's daughter, I must thank those who risk their lives to save my father!

Meet Gradriel. Her name and character design (save for a modified hairstyle and a hairclip styled after the seal of High Lagaard) are borrowed from the main character of Princess Crown, an Atlus-developed Sega Saturn ARPG from 1997, of which I know absolutely nothing about since it was never released outside of Japan.

...! I-it's a pleasure to meet you, Lady Gradriel.
Minister Dubois has appraised my of the situation. He says that the renowned Guild Lumen is the one to obtain the Snow Blooms.
Yep. Spent most of the day searching for them.
My father is bedridden with a grave illness... In his absence, I thank you. I had thought to enter the Labyrinth myself to cure my father's malady... But as Lady of High Lagaard and the Duke's only daughter, I was unable to do so. It is only through your courage that my spirits are lifted.
Rrer...
I understand that no monetary reward is adequate to the risk you have incurred thus far... But that is currently my only concrete means of expressing gratitude. I pray you accept this reward for your hard work in the spirit it is meant.

Muuuuuuch appreciated! Alright, I think 6000 en is a fair cut for my extra "mapping on slippery ice" charge--
We'll pay you when we reach the end of the Labyrinth. That money is for guild expenditures, now.
Rrrgh.

We're already pretty busy doing Labyrinth stuff. Tell us the details, first.
A fair concern. The demand is mine, to be sure. Our lore has it that the royal family descends from residents of the floating castle. Many ancient texts support this legend. We believe it to be true.
I mean, we're all technically descended from the floating castle, I think. Go on, though.
One source also makes mention of an artifact called the Grail of Kings. This holy Grail, said to rest in the center of the floating castle, can heal any illness.. Further inquiry allowed us to identify the components necessary to create this powerful curative. You know them as the Fire Plume and Snow Blooms. When mixed in the Grail of Kings, it creates a miraculous Panacea. By your guild's efforts, we have the two ingredients. One final step remains...
To find the Grail of Kings.
And, if I had to guess, it's probably in the floating castle.
That is correct. Legend says that this Grail of Kings is enshrined in the center of the castle in the heavens.
Called it!
I would ask that you continue your journey until you gain access to this castle. Should you discover the Grail of Kings there... I beg that you return with it that I might save my father...nay, our entire nation of High Lagaard!
...Hmph. Didn't exactly think our exploration would gain an ultimate purpose.
Rr-hrm.
That grail is probably worth a lot... Hell, I could even make more traveling with it, curing whoever...
...Realga?
...O-on the other hand, having the Duke indebted to us is probably worth a lot, too...
We'll do it! We'll work tirelessly to get that grail and cure the Duke!
...Yeah. Sure, let's go with that.
What generosity toward a man you have never met before...! Your guild is truly composed of kind hearts. All I can do is pray that your journey is as peaceful as possible.

We won't force you. But if you discover anything of use, I beg you to inform this old man. You'll be rewarded, of course. Forgive us for laying this burden on you...

We now have a purpose to our exploration of the Yggdrasil Labyrinth: saving the Duke of High Lagaard. It's not something that'll really come up again until later, but it's there.

Let's go take care of those other things before we finish that last bit of 12F.

drat.

Hopefully this'll fare better.

I use some of our surplus money to just make random upgrades to the town.

Yeh already got it!? Livin' up to the Lumen reputation, I guess. But still, if I were yeh, I'd have sold it to the jewelers instead of bringing it here...! I admire yer sense of duty. I'll make sure this finds its way into the right hands! Between yeh and me... Do yeh really think this proposal scheme will work?
No chance.
Nrrp.
Dumbest thing I've heard all week.
How is this any different from what he's tried?
She didn't really seem that interested to begin with...
Not a chance in hell, I say! The poor man'll end up with no rock and no girl. Mark my words! But I guess we'll have to wait and see... Well, here's the reward. Keep it up, yeh lot.

Cut Talismans reduce the amount of damage Cut attacks deal to the holder by 25%. I personally consider it worthless. On the other hand, EXP is never worthless!

Passives. Yep.

I really want Protection Vow, so I have Ursa put a point into Protect.

Another point into Salve.

Thor Formula levels. Very interesting, yep.

Burst Shot levels are interesting too.

Selling off the materials from exploring.

Talwaar (+82 ATK) is made from 2 Metal Horns and 1 White Metal. It's a middle-of-the-road 3rd Stratum sword.

Rouge Whip (+75 ATK) is made from 1 Red Mane. It's on the lower end of 3rd Stratum whips.

Cut Talisman (Reduces Cut damage by 25%) is made from 1 Divine Carapace. I already gave my opinion on these things.

Alright, we finished that Snow Bloom mission. Hopefully Artelinde won't get on our case this time.

SYSTEM: The black-haired witch Artelinde is still waiting here.
Dammit.

SYSTEM: Her enthusiasm is halfhearted, as she wears a dark and rather melancholy expression. She continues in a low voice...
Maybe it's useless, but... I have to try. Your quest in the Labyrinth... What would you say if I asked you to give it up and go home?
...Rrrr?!
Beg your pardon?
If I weren't so nice, I'd have a lot of choice words for you, you godDAMNED--
Calm down, Realga.
B-basically, we can't do that, Artelinde.
SYSTEM: The impish woman smiles sadly upon hearing your response.
Figures... You'd need a better reason than my say-so, I guess. Then I'll tell you one thing.
SYSTEM: She looks up to the heavens from the snowy forest and continues her speech.
People in High Lagaard say there's a floating castle above the Yggdrasil Labyrinth. That's where the ruler of the skies and his people live... They collect the souls of the ones who die down here.
SYSTEM: Artelinde catches a snowflake falling from the sky and gazes at it in her hand.
It sounds like just a legend, but it's not that simple. Something terrible is past here that no one can defeat... I'm warning you now. If you still want to go up there, I won't stop you...
Good, we'll be on our way--
...Not yet, anyway.
SYSTEM: The black-haired witch quietly mutters the last sentence before turning her back on you.

I don't like the way she said that. Sounded too much like that Ronin I met in Etria for my tastes.
Rrrr...
You still sure Wilhelm wanted to "help us" back in the 2nd Stratum, Luca?
I can't believe you're still upset about that.

Eh, I'm sure those're just empty threats. What the hell could be in this frozen wasteland that Artelinde would want us to not go near?

SYSTEM: It is a very large block of ice, bigger than any within your party. You give it a hard knock and a hard sound issues from within, indicating that it is solid indeed. While checking the block of ice, Asriel notices something else and points at the ground.
The ice is on ice.
SYSTEM: This block of ice is itself on the same icy ground you've slid across so many times thus far. From the look of it, the block is not completely moored to the ice on the ground. If you push the block with all your might, you may be able to mov eit. You may test this conjecture by pushing this block of ice here...
Ursa, if you will.
Rr-hrm. HRRRRGH!
SYSTEM: You stand in front of the giant block of ice and push with all your strength to force it down the icy path!

Well, that seemed easy to push, given how big it is... Still, good job, Ursa.
Rrr.
SYSTEM: It would appear that the block of ice can be pushed across the icy ground to the other size. Using this shoulda llow you to reach heretofore inaccessible areas. You keep it in mind as you once again return to your investigation of the Labyrinth.

For the record, ice blocks start showing up on the map once we check or push one. They follow the same rules about sliding on ice that we do, except that we can't push them onto solid ground. They also act as solid obstacles, and will stop us if we slide into one on ice. For example, we can't push the ice block to the right (relative to the map)...

But we can push it to the left, which gives us access to that treasure chest we saw a bit ago.

Which has a very nice treasure in it.

Once ice block push later, and we're done with 12F.

Let's just head back to town.

Let's start the end by checking in on Hanna.

She's been helping out with the inn a lot lately. She even covers the front desk for me, when I'm busy.
Doesn't her being super shy get in the way of running the front desk?
Hm? You're worried about her because of how shy she is? Haha, she's fine! She is my daughter, after all. I'm sure Quona's doing her best to impress all of you, too. Just let her do what she needs to do! Thanks for your concern though. I'll be sure to tell my daughter you were worried about her! Bahaha!

Moving on to Abigail.

It was my first time ever going there... There were so many tough-looking explorers, I ended up getting really nervous. You all explore the Labyrinth and fight monsters alongside people like that, right?
Kinda, yeah. I guess.
Wow... That's amazing...! Exploring is so cool!

I unlocked nothing new, so let's just move on.

Seemed like he really liked my cooking. After calling me over to compliment my work, he finished his meal, and left. ...The strange part came afterwards. After a little while, someone that looked just like him came into the cafe. If it was just that, then I could just write it off as a coincidence... But he proceeded to order the exact same thing. Could that really be a coincidence...? Even if it wasn't, then what could it have been?
It was probably just--
Wait...c-could it have been a gh--!
I... I doubt that.
N-No, of course not. I-It must have been his twin brother?
Regina, it was probably just the same guy coming back for more food.

Over to Cass.

I just won big at my weekly card game, and I'm feeling fine! Look at that beautiful sun! Yeh want something to drink? Go on! It's on the house.
We'll take it!
Why am I not surprised these two are day-drinking?
Heh heh. Drink up, drink up! Let's have a little celebration! Oh, but more importantly...exploring the Labyrinth's fine and all, but don't forget to check my bulletin board. We don't just need yeh for explorin'. There's other help that the people of Lagaard need. Just keep in mind that the people of this city are depending on yeh! I mean, yer one of the best guilds around now. I've got plenty of requests, so keep helpin' me rake in those profits.

We'll check on the quests after we talk to everyone.

...There's something I'd like to warn you about, though. You've heard of the guild Esbat, correct?
Unfortunately.
Those two...are probably some of the strongest fighters I've ever seen come out of High Lagaard. ...I'm only thinking out loud here, but... Sometimes, it feels like those two act strangely. Suspiciously, even. If you ever see them within the Labyrinth, I suggest you keep your guard up...just in case. Well, that's all I have to say for now. Try to avoid any unnecessary risks.

And last on the list is Dubois.

There is actually more to that legend of the floating castle. "God waits in the floating castle for heroes. The strong will live with God forever."
Hm. Artelinde said something similar.
...In truth, there have been many stories of powerful guilds suddenly disappearing into the depths of the Labyrinth. The logical answer, of course, is that they fell victim to monsters, but some believe they were taken away to the floating castle. ...Your guild has grown quite powerful, too. I merely wanted to give you a warning in advance...just in case. Now, excuse me. I look forward to your safe return.
I'm not gonna die until I get payment for services rendered. You can quote me on that.
I'd prefer not dying, period.

13F quests.

Playing Cupid II:

Well, that was fast.
Haw! Wondering what that one's about, are yeh? The lad was rejected...again.
Don't think anyone here is surprised about that, right?
Yeh remember yeh found the Celestine for him? Well, he went to the girl to present his gift to her... And she didn't even look at him! That's how I expected it'd go... Haw haw! I knew she wouldn't be so easy to flatter as all that. But the lad won't back down yet. If the first gift was rejected, he wants something better. But I doubt he'd find anyone who'd...
What does he want now? We'll do it!
Eh? Yeh're willing to help him!? Yeh're too drat soft...
Well, some of us have different reasons than altruism.
Ahhh, now I see! Yeh just want the reward and the joy of seeing him fall on his face again, eh? I take it back about yeh bein' nice--yeh lot are more wicked than me! Haw!
...Eh? What's with those faces...? Hrrrrngh! Yeh're all so naive and innocent! Yer child eyes are ruining my b uzz! Welp, fine. Yeh can be goody two-shoes if yeh want...means more fun for me! Haw! So, this time around, he wants a flower called Narcissus. And about that Narcissus... I heard yeh can Take it from the 3rd stratim. C'mon now, though... Don't risk yer life to help a lad with his hopeless pursuit for love! Well, g'luck then!

We'll find Take points on 13F.

To the bitter end:

Now I have to warn yeh, this quest comes with its share of sorrows... The client is a poor lass who was all set ot be wed last month, but... Just before the ceremony, she came down with a heavy fever. Her fiance, being a helpful lad, went into th Labyrinth to find some healing herbs. The guard corps...they looked for days, but all they found were his things.
Don't know what he expected exploring the Labyrinth on his own.
No body left behind, but we all know what happened. The girl's drowning in tears nowadays. Says she'll have her revenge for her fiance. I thought she'd gone 'round the twist. So I promised her if she posted a request, someone would take care of it. Nice guy, me. Haw! His things were found on the northern end of the 12th floor. When yeh get there, yeh should find the beastie. Really let 'em have it, alright? Be careful.
Eh, it can't be that bad. Even Hedgehogs could take out someone on their own.

Just out of reach:

Oh, that request. I knew yeh'd see that one.
Well, it has quite the nice reward attached!

The quest's reward is 8000 en, by the way.

The fella who put it up was kinda...skittish, but it sounds like he found out about some kinda treasure in a cave on the 12th floor. Seems the farthest depths of the cave are full fo stalactites. Yeh know those, eh? Big sharp icicle-lookin' stones on the ceiling? Anyhow, nervous guy like him didn't wanna tromp around in a dark, dangerous cave. So he came back here. But the fella couldn't get the treasure off his mind, of course, so he's puttin' in a request to find it. Doesn't even want it for himself! All he wants is to know what it is. Beyond that, he ain't askin' for anything else. Might be dangerous, but as long as yeh go int he cave and see what the treasure is, yeh get it on top of the reward. Sweet deal, eh?
Hrrm...
Almost too good to be true. Feels like there might bea catch...but nothin' ventured, nothin' gained! Besides, yeh can handle it. As for the place, it's on the 12th floor to the west. The fella oughta be waiting for yeh there, so get goin'. Keep an eye out! Can't be too careful, eh? G'luck!

The only new patron is the Dulcet-voiced caster.

Oh, members of Lumen. Hmhmhm... How kind of you to talk to a guild as small and weak as us, hm?
We're all doing the same thing, basically. Couldn't hurt to catch up with everyone else.
My brother and I have started out on the third stratum. But we're...moving at a bit of a slower pace than you. Perhaps you've met Mr. Great Hermit? Rather big, and rather tough... Usually, if it's too tough for physical blows, common sense says you should use elemental attacks... But he even raises his elemental defense in the middle of a battle. Vexing, isn't it? Thanks to that, my poor brother was running around in fear, gabbling that we should never have let our guard down... Well, clearly I have no choice. Next time, I'll simply seal its head and punish it before it can raise its elemental defenses. Hmhmhm...that should ease my brother's worries.

And that's all for now. Next time: probably not 13F, but instead catching up on various conditional drops and other miscellaneous things. Fun times for all, basically.

Rea fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 7, 2016

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Oh hey, we've also reached the 3rd floor of the 3rd Stratum. That means it's new party time! Insert your favorite celebratory noises here. I will issue this warning, however: there is an extra boss before the 3rd Stratum boss, and it is either incredibly easy or incredibly nightmarish depending on the party. I don't want to spoil too much, but there are two big things to consider:
  • The upcoming boss has two parts that we need to ideally keep in the same HP range.
  • The boss's AI is completely predictable, and I can pretty much always predict what it's going to do on a given turn.
  • One part of the boss (the more durable one) is completely immune to all status ailments, aside from Poison and Stun, and binds.
  • One of the boss parts loves to throw around all-party, high-chance, random status ailments.
  • If the fight is not ended quickly enough, we pretty much straight-up are guaranteed a game over.

If I deem the voted-upon party insufficient for fighting that extra boss, I will reshuffle people around, but only if I get a party that is absolute trash for that fight, and only for that fight.

Zack: Zack's starting to get to the point where he's as good at dealing damage in FOE and boss fights as he is in random encounters. He'll have the skills he needs to function for those maxed out now, and I can start going for passives that augment his damage even further.

Nadia: Nadia is still useful for random encounters, but her usefulness in the extra boss fight is questionable at best due to the whole "one part nullifies all status ailments and binds" thing. Summer Rain will still be useful for just chopping off a chunk of both parts' HP.

Phoebe: Phoebe's still useful for random encounters (aside from one on 15F that throws random-target Ice attacks around), and she's insanely useful for the extra boss fight. Not just because of the predictable pattern, but because Perfect Defense can be used to save the party from what would otherwise be a certain game over.

Freyja: Freyja can burst down one part of the extra boss very easily, but she'll have really serious issues dealing with the disable-nullifying part. If she has some defensive support, she's useful for random encounters since the binds start to become decently reliable at this point.

Realga: If you haven't learned what Realga is good at yet, I dunno what to say. Her usefulness in the extra boss fight hinges entirely on how badly she gets screwed by the random status ailments.

Stardust: Stardust is extra useful in the boss fight since her all-target Formulas let her deal roughly equal damage to both of the parts, with alternating elements to tap both of their weaknesses. She is incredibly squishy, however, and susceptible to being one-shot not just by the boss, but by certain dickish random encounters.

Milly: Milly still works best with high-damage, bursty characters like Freyja, Stardust, Jackie, and Ranger. She doesn't do much outside of buffing the party for the extra boss fight, but she doesn't need to.

Asriel: Asriel is honestly a really terrible option for the extra boss fight, but decent for actual exploration. His damage isn't enough to really be significant yet, and his low LUC means he's really susceptible to getting tagged by the worst ailments possible.

Sophie: Sophie has the same problem with the extra boss that Freyja has: she can really easily deal with one part, but has no real options against the other, aside from Venom Curse. She's still very useful for actual exploration, mind you.

Jackie: There's worse options than Jackie. Her damage is pretty good, and Supreme Bolt is useful given that the disable-nullifying part only resists Stun instead of nullifying it.

Colette: Fairy Robe can be used to either recover from or preemptively block the annoying status ailments in the extra fight, and Colette can burst down both parts of the boss very easily with Ailing Slash, especially if Sophie's in the party, since Venom Curse can still Poison the disable-nullifying part.

Ursa: Ursa will need medical support either from Colette or Realga (or consumables) for the extra fight, but otherwise she's a perfectly fine choice. Like always, I wouldn't stack her with Phoebe since that's being overly-defensive. True Endurance, like Perfect Defense, can save us from what would otherwise be a certain game over.

Rheine: Prevent Order really shines in the extra fight since it basically turns the status ailment turns into free turns for me. Like the Phoebe-Ursa thing, I wouldn't stack Rheine with Milly. If Stardust, Jackie, or Ranger are in the party, Rheine can also help whittle down the extra boss with Link Order and Link Order II.

Tyler: Tyler is the same as always--deals good burst Stab damage with Delayed/Cross Charge, and works best if he has elemental support, much like Rheine.

Ranger: Ranger still sucks for exploration, but Transform (especially if combined with Milly) means I can probably just shred the extra boss fight in a few turns without much to worry about.

I'm probably going to regret this, but I'm not doing the one-character per category thing. Four votes per person.

Please make this fight easy. I beg of you.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Rheine, Jackie, Sophie, Colette

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Ragnar Homsar posted:

No. Nadia, Milly, Realga, and Rheine. :unsmigghh:

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I make alive things dead and sometimes the other way around.

Ragnar Homsar posted:

dohohohohoh

I've been waiting for this moment.
Colette, Tyler, Rheine, Nadia.

siotle
Nov 2, 2012

Stop that.
Zack, Tyler, Sophie, Colette

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I repeat my vote from last time. Zack, Tyler, Asriel and Ranger.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Milly
Colette
Ursa
Rheine

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
You goons get off on making our LPer suffer don't you?

Phobe, Stardust, Realga, Colette

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Rheine, Jackie, Sophie, Phoebe

Every time I see Realga's name, I immediately think of Final Fantasy spells.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 7, 2016

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Freyja, Phoebe, Rheine, Tyler

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Phoebe, Tyler, Zack, and Colette

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Stardust, Phoebe, Ranger, and Tyler.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW