Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Use it to flip for initiative, aim it at the most dangerous ship in your opponent's list, laugh when the ship shatters into a million pieces and is no longer legal to field :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

thespaceinvader posted:

Use it to flip for initiative, aim it at the most dangerous ship in your opponent's list, laugh when the ship shatters into a million pieces and is no longer legal to field :v:

I'm thinking about it... :getin:

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Von Humboldt posted:

Crack Shot can demolish really demolish WOP in short order. I was grateful my Brobot opponent went for VI instead of Crack Shot. The list turns so much on Omega and Whisper, and the Crack Shots can easily force through enough damage to essentially kill or cripple one ship as soon as it's caught in a bad spot. I'm sure Soontir fire helped to strip tokens as well.

But more importantly, congrats on your win! I dig the list a lot, and I'd even try to rip it off it I had just one more Crack Shot. Glad to see mini swarms still pack a punch, man. Were you generally able to bust down Poe and his ilk over one or two rounds?

I fought a Poe/Stress Hog/ Ello Asty list - both T-70's were regen - in the top 4 and destroyed it. Took the stress jog out in one round before it could fire, and I could tell my opponent sort of didn't expect that (or the formation I was flying), and I had all 5 ships left still, so focusing them down after that was pretty easy. Dude flew those guys like a bastard, but I somehow was able to box him in enough to get them.

guts and bolts posted:

Howlrunner and Black Squadron + Crack Shot is the definition of "in meta"/netlist builds. If you arrived at the conclusion on your own - arc-dodging ace + Howlrunner and a miniswarm - that's good, but this is, like "my" WOP list, not exactly blazing a new trail, here. I'm also not sure how this list is tailored to fight stress control; just... killing everything super-fast? Because that's all it can do. Moreover, I flew against this list only featuring Vader instead of Soontir Fel once, and Juno Eclipse the other time, and both times it was a massacre. You fly the shuttle aggressively at the swarm and either take everyone to Block City or at least train an extra big gun on them, keep Whisper out of arc, and that's a TIE every turn. Spend Palpatine on defense for your Phantom and Kallus the ace. This is hugely winnable for WOP.

This is not meant to take anything away from your win, though, and you should celebrate by cutting a wrestling promo for your FLGS.

Howlrunner and Black Squadron + Crack Shot isn't even a thing around here, and I never really heard about it (but I also never really go looking at 'meta' stuff online anyway). And by newlist I meant people who literally go 'Heaver Flew this", or just flying whatever won the last bid championship that people talk about online. Like, I'm almost 100% some dude heard of how good WOP is online, and decided to fly it without understanding it very much, which is probably one of the reasons I beat so easily.

And yes, by being anti-stress I mean having a swarm that kind of gives no fucks about stress and can usually kill a ship really fast. So your " Because that's all it can do" comment is both a pretty fair description and kind of dick way of saying.

thespaceinvader posted:

Considering how people role their dice around here, the thought of this happening seems way too probable.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

enigmahfc posted:

And yes, by being anti-stress I mean having a swarm that kind of gives no fucks about stress and can usually kill a ship really fast. So your " Because that's all it can do" comment is both a pretty fair description and kind of dick way of saying.
Mama Han and her Hanlings (Zs) is the classic anti-stress list. I tend to take 2 lists with me now and if I see too much stress, I go for it. Otherwise I'll use the alternate ace list so I can scare people with it for a bit until I bring out the classic again. :3:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I overheard someone at the store champs last night sneering about "netlists", and also heard someone saying "(game store on the other side of town) has banned TLTs from the store, and it makes the game so much better that way".

Had a fun maneuver in my last game, where 3 unstressed T70's were bumped in a furball in the middle of a bunch of asteroids. Next turn, all 3 ships revealed t-rolls, all faced in with guns to bear :v:

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

enigmahfc posted:

I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just calling a spade a spade - this list does not control stress, it just kills stuff. In this way it is also anti-aces, anti-PWTs, anti-other-swarms, etc. Soontir Fel, Vader, Juno, whatever - they're still very stress-vulnerable and if they get shot by a BTL R3-A2 they have no way of contending with it. Captain Yorr has anti-stress. Keyan Farlander has anti-stress. Tycho Celchu has anti-stress. "Kill everything real fast" is just that, especially if you're still running an ace who dies if they get stressed.

You generally have two options when building if you just don't want to worry about stress, ever, and that's building in anti-stress as above, or making your list functionally immune to it. Soontir Fel is very, very not immune to stress.

Chill la Chill posted:

Mama Han and her Hanlings (Zs) is the classic anti-stress list. I tend to take 2 lists with me now and if I see too much stress, I go for it. Otherwise I'll use the alternate ace list so I can scare people with it for a bit until I bring out the classic again. :3:

Han cares way less about getting stressed than someone like Soontir Fel does. Fel gets stressed and instantly dies. Han gets stressed and... continues to reroll his dice forever, always, until you are dead. Han is glorious.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

This is almost the end of the tourney I was scheduled to go today, but couldn't:

Dark Sphere Store Championship

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Chill la Chill posted:

:siren: space garbage truck is useful!! :siren:
This won a 150 person tournament in Spain. It was anti-meta specifically but I like the basis for the space garbage truck.

It's beautiful and horrible, all at once.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

canyoneer posted:

I overheard someone at the store champs last night sneering about "netlists", and also heard someone saying "(game store on the other side of town) has banned TLTs from the store, and it makes the game so much better that way".

Had a fun maneuver in my last game, where 3 unstressed T70's were bumped in a furball in the middle of a bunch of asteroids. Next turn, all 3 ships revealed t-rolls, all faced in with guns to bear :v:

Wow. In otherwords, store owner got beaten by TLT and is a huge baby.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
If I take Tycho Celchu + A-Wing Test Pilot + Push the Limit + Experimental Interface do I get three actions per turn? Would that combined with Squad Leader be a viable idea for action economy?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I'm not usually an advocate of snitching, but if he tries to enforce that on a Competitive or Premiere level event, probably snitch, because gently caress that.

I'm losing faith in Vader + Black Crack mini swarm. It does seem to lose hard to a solid trip-ace and WOP.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 7, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Also does Esege Tuketu's ability count as "having" a focus token for Poe Dameron?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If I take Tycho Celchu + A-Wing Test Pilot + Push the Limit + Experimental Interface do I get three actions per turn? Would that combined with Squad Leader be a viable idea for action economy?

No because EI works on cards taht say action, and you have none equipped on Tycho (example: Marksmanship, or squad leader)

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Also does Esege Tuketu's ability count as "having" a focus token for Poe Dameron?

I believe it was ruled that yes yes it does.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

bunnyofdoom posted:

No because EI works on cards taht say action, and you have none equipped on Tycho (example: Marksmanship, or squad leader)

Right, but if I did have Squad Leader it would work?

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
What's a WOP?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

nyxnyxnyx posted:

What's a WOP?
I still can't believe you guys decided to stick with the acronym, I know it's an old term but reading wop everywhere is kind of disturbing me,

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

You could call it POW if you want.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tekopo posted:

I still can't believe you guys decided to stick with the acronym, I know it's an old term but reading wop everywhere is kind of disturbing me,

I had to look it up cuz I didn't know it meant anything, but POW would work nicer if that's the case. Also it actually describes the power of the list :getin:

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Tekopo posted:

POW POW POW is right there.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Right, but if I did have Squad Leader it would work?

Theoretically, I believe so then.

I'd personally put expert Handling instead if you are doing this though. The barrel roll is very useful on an awing.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Tekopo posted:

nyxnyxnyx posted:

What's a WOP?
It's both slang for Whisper + Omega Leader + Palpatine and antiquated mildly racist slang for an Italian immigrant. I ended up using POW as my list name, but then called it WOP afterwords because it let me introduce a song to a bunch of people who likely have never listened to anything but Rush.

I think I will call it "Secrets and TIEs" or something stupid instead, on second thought. Even if I have just one TIE, it... sort of works.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

nyxnyxnyx posted:

What's a WOP?

According to Merriam-Webster its first known use was in the United States in 1908.[2] The dictionary is unambiguous that it originates from a southern Italian dialect term guappo, meaning thug, derived from the Spanish term guapo, meaning handsome, via dialectical French, meaning ruffian or pimp.[3] It also has roots in the Latin vappa, meaning wine gone flat.[2]

A false etymology sometimes promulgated is that "wop" is an acronym that comes from "without passport"[4][5] or "without papers."[5][6] The term has nothing to do with immigration documents which were not required by US immigration officers until 1918, long after the term came into use in the United States.[5] Further, turning acronyms into words did not become common practice until after World War II, with the practice accelerating with the growth of the United States Space Program and the Cold War.[4]

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

bunnyofdoom posted:

Theoretically, I believe so then.

I'd personally put expert Handling instead if you are doing this though. The barrel roll is very useful on an awing.

I actually came up with that on my own, because free barrel rolls and shedding target locks sounded awesome.

Edit: Besides Squad Leader, the only other EPT with an Action that looks good for an A-Wing would be Daredevil; Expert Handling costs a point less and the free barrel roll sounds more useful than a free 1 hard turn.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 7, 2016

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013

Von Humboldt posted:

It's both slang for Whisper + Omega Leader + Palpatine and antiquated mildly racist slang for an Italian immigrant. I ended up using POW as my list name, but then called it WOP afterwords because it let me introduce a song to a bunch of people who likely have never listened to anything but Rush.

I think I will call it "Secrets and TIEs" or something stupid instead, on second thought. Even if I have just one TIE, it... sort of works.

Thanks!

Could someone explain Advanced Cloaking Device (and Cloaking in general) to me? Do they work in different phases or something? ACD sounds awesome to me.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

nyxnyxnyx posted:

Thanks!

Could someone explain Advanced Cloaking Device (and Cloaking in general) to me? Do they work in different phases or something? ACD sounds awesome to me.
Cloaking is an action that makes you get 2 additional evade dice and you remain cloaked until you decide to uncloak. Uncloaking is something that you can do before anyone moves that allows you to either boost with a straight 2 or barrel roll with the 2 straight. ACD allows you to cloak immediately after shooting at something as a free action.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
^^^2 fast 4 me^^^

nyxnyxnyx posted:

Thanks!

Cloaking is an action. When Cloaked, you cannot attack but gain two agility. You stay Cloaked until you Decloak, and can perform other actions awhile Cloaked. At the start of the activation phase, before dials are revealed, you may choose to Decloak. Decloaking is not an action, so you can do it even when stressed or what have you. To Decloak, you declare what direction - either side or ahead - you want to Decloak and use the 2 Straight template for either a boost or barrel roll. If you can clear without hitting debris, you are now no longer Cloaked. If you can't complete, you may try another direction. If you can't go anywhere, you're stuck Cloaked.

Advanced Cloaking lets you Cloak after an attack as a free action, basically letting you have the rhythm of "Fire, Cloak for the bonus agility, Decloak before dials, Fire, Cloak, repeat."

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

TIE Advanced: · Darth Vader (29)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Engine Upgrade (4)
TIE/x1 (0)
Advanced Targeting Computer (1)
TIE Fighter: Academy Pilot (12)
TIE Bomber: Gamma Squadron Veteran (19)
TIE Shuttle (0)
· Emperor Palpatine (8)
TIE/fo Fighter: · "Omega Leader" (21)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)

What do you guys think of my DAGO build?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

:geno:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

My first act as reigning Emperor of the Empire would be instituting White History Month, because

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

I AM THE MOON posted:

Veteran Instincts (1)
Engine Upgrade (4)
TIE/x1 (0)
TIE Shuttle (0)
· Emperor Palpatine (8)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)

Mamma mia!

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

I AM THE MOON posted:

Veteran Instincts (1)
Engine Upgrade (4)
TIE/x1 (0)
TIE Shuttle (0)
· Emperor Palpatine (8)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)

Does TIE Shuttle let you slot Palpatine? "You cannot equip a Crew Upgrade card that costs more than 4 squad points".

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Gerdalti posted:

Does TIE Shuttle let you slot Palpatine? "You cannot equip a Crew Upgrade card that costs more than 4 squad points".

Accurate, but missing the joke.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Some Numbers posted:

Accurate, but missing the joke.

I'm probably too new to get jokes, apologies. :)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Gerdalti posted:

I'm probably too new to get jokes, apologies. :)

Don't worry, it's not a particularly good one.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Well, How about a Night beast, Interceptor, Gamma, Gamm- I'm just going to stop right now. Cause it's bad.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Why don't more people use Bombers now that Extra Munitions is a thing? Forgive my ignorance, I don't actually own any of the pure bombers.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Why don't more people use Bombers now that Extra Munitions is a thing? Forgive my ignorance, I don't actually own any of the pure bombers.

Because munitions have to be worth using for the extra shot to be useful.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

They will be once guidance chips come out (more or less). Man the TIE Bomber with infinite crack shot is awesome.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Maybe the Veteran bomber will be have some cool poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I said it before but jonus + guidance chip + proton torps or conc missile is a huge amount of dice modification. Add crack shot and the alpha strike becomes incredible.

• Locked thread