Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

timn posted:

What a shitload of pessimism about multicrew. It's probably going to be a fun but not terribly deep alternative for having casual space adventures with your friends. Who the gently caress cares how precisely it stacks up against wings in whatever twisted meta that doesn't actually matter. Crewing a spaceship with friends is a fun and cool idea, and multicrew will probably also be at least for a little while.

Counterpoint: Powerplay :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

LCL-Dead posted:

According to inara you were added to the 312th Regular Pollywogs, or a regular (meaning you come online a few times a week) west coast team (NA). Now you just need to be present in Discord and be aware of things posted in the PGS thread.

Oh! I was waiting for a notification email. I do need to be aware of things, you're right.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

timn posted:

What a shitload of pessimism about multicrew. It's probably going to be a fun but not terribly deep alternative for having casual space adventures with your friends. Who the gently caress cares how precisely it stacks up against wings in whatever twisted meta that doesn't actually matter. Crewing a spaceship with friends is a fun and cool idea, and multicrew will probably also be at least for a little while.

RVProfootballer posted:

I'm just not sure it can possibly be more fun than each flying separately. What do the non-pilot crew members do? Have Frontier given any hints Shoot individual turrets? Do some minigame to boost power or recharge shields? Control the cargo and fuel scoop deployments? At least once the extra fighter bay thing comes, one extra crewman can fly it (instead of their own independent ship, ha).

I'm pretty bummed that multicrew counts as wing members because I am having a hard time figuring out how they are going to make it so a single ship with two people on it is as effective as two separate ships.
I'm pretty sure the wing limit being 4 people is due to the instancing abilities of the game and Frontier claimed it was a UI thing to make it seem like a choice rather than a limit.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Who cares if it's a gimmick? So much salt itt. It's an important gimmick to a lot of people, if they want to give up a wing slot and some overall efficiency to play Han Solo and Chewie with their bros, let them. That's their business.

Guns and mission variety are going in first anyway, so it's not like it's getting in the way of that. They seem to be structuring the content additions in order of most basic features to most exciting

Lankiveil
Feb 23, 2001

Forums Minimalist
Just shot my way to over a million credits in bounties, then got wasted by the cops going to hand it in over a 100CR careless flying charge. I think I might go outside for a bit.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lankiveil posted:

Just shot my way to over a million credits in bounties, then got wasted by the cops going to hand it in over a 100CR careless flying charge. I think I might go outside for a bit.

That's what, an hour in a high RES site tops?

If you're in some low tier garbage ship just find some greens NPCs to fly near and just vulture their kills when they pounce.

Aurra
Feb 3, 2006

Multicrew strikes me as a mechanic aimed more towards people who like the idea of a space sim but are not actually interested in flying ships rather than the current Elite playerbase. I have one buddy that watches me play Elite through Steam's streaming service and he was originally chomping at the bit to play it until he found out that you're forced into a pilot-derived role. Anecdotal, sure, but I highly doubt he is some bizarre anomaly.

The Planetside series always had enjoyable multicrew. It was easy to :goonsay: comparisons like 3 Reavers were better ATG than a Liberator, or 6 Wasps were better ATA than a Galaxy Gunship, but that didn't mean the multiplayer vehicles were not fun avenues of gameplay or never had their place.

JagGator
Oct 31, 2012
We all know exactly what multicrew will bring: another mile wider and half an inch deeper.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

JagGator posted:

We all know exactly what multicrew will bring: another mile wider and half an inch deeper.

That has always been one of the more bull poo poo things said about ED, it has lots of depth. It just does not hold your hand and lead you around, and it takes real a time commitment.

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015
Hi. I just bought this game. How do I get rich and live out my space fantasies that Star Citizen will never fulfill?

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

CashEnsign posted:

Hi. I just bought this game. How do I get rich and live out my space fantasies that Star Citizen will never fulfill?

Watching movies ideally

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I'm excited to play multicrew with my real life friends. The people who won't like it are not blessed with friends who play Elite.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Mike the TV posted:

I'm excited to play multicrew with my real life friends. The people who won't like it are not blessed with friends who play Elite.

Seconding this, but adding that it'll end in a mass exodus as we all take turns drunkenly jamming our ships into various things until we're all space poor and back in sidewinders.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
SRVs are cheap. Tell someone you'll drop them off on ~some moon and come back in an hour.

Never come back for them.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

:ducksiren:LEAKED MULTICREW FOOTAGE!

Graphics look kinda poo poo

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Hi guys, I stopped playing after about about a month since the release because I found it all rather boring and empty. Somehow it didn't have the magic as the original had for me back in the days, which I played for years. I mean flying from system to system gets really old when they're all looking exactly the same. Since I stopped logging in I hear there's a lot more ships available and they added stuff like the ability to land (and build?) on planets. I liked the idea of traveling far deep into space to discover new planets and getting payed for such endeavors but as I said, stuff gets really old when you start to notice that you're in a big empty space that sometimes gets namechanges when you press the jump button. PvP, or player interaction in general was rather non existence as well due to the massiveness of everything and the relatively small numbers of players. Mostly I like to trade and explore, but it seems there's not so much to explore except more empty stuff.

Just naming a few things that didn't go well with me after a couple of weeks. Still I really want to like this game even though it's more of a nostalgia yearn then anything else. My question really is, did the game change a lot in the last six months and are they planning to add stuff that really alter the gameplay when you really like to trade and explore?

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Well after skipping off the surface of planets like a 400 ton pebble I've gotten the hang of landing, just planetary missions are gloriously counter-intuitive. One wants me to drive up to my buggy and scan a turret, but I've racked up a massive fine for trespassing and shooting at turrets in the mission area...so what gives?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Made it!

I'm assuming aliens will have killed everyone before I make it back.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

WebDog posted:

Well after skipping off the surface of planets like a 400 ton pebble I've gotten the hang of landing, just planetary missions are gloriously counter-intuitive. One wants me to drive up to my buggy and scan a turret, but I've racked up a massive fine for trespassing and shooting at turrets in the mission area...so what gives?

Well, you're not cleared to be in the mission area. When you shoot a turret, it's obvious why you get a bounty.

You're basically stealing information from the NPCs when you scan a terminal. Would you let a random person walk into a server room and hook up their computer and start downloading the companies information without them being part of that company?

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
The trick is just not giving a poo poo about the bounty.

Edit: to clarify, they are with that faction you're trespassing on only, so local. Nothing to worry about most of the time.

Atrayonis fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 6, 2016

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

IAmTheRad posted:

Well, you're not cleared to be in the mission area. When you shoot a turret, it's obvious why you get a bounty.

You're basically stealing information from the NPCs when you scan a terminal. Would you let a random person walk into a server room and hook up their computer and start downloading the companies information without them being part of that company?

You wouldn't download a CAR.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

CashEnsign posted:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

CashEnsign posted:

If I could I loving well would download a car, thank you.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Mercedes-SL[2015].2.5l.man.red.AXXO.torrent

Comments:
davo1212
Doesn't specify fuel type. MY NEW FREE CAR IS NOW RUINED YOU loving rear end in a top hat.

speshboy
how did u get a green skull this isnt even red

iluvanimes
hi I followed instructions but car won't start. I tried putting the cracked key in but it won't register also a policeman keeps asking for my license lol.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Oh, I can think of a few uses for a downloaded bear...

In other news, some people did this:

and I am glad, because that sort of thing is exactly why we should be exploring space.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Barnacles were popping up and now capital ships are showing up destroyed. Based on their schedule I'm guessing more of these events will show up leading till the next expansion which is going to be thargoid related. Hell given that the last content patch before the expansion is just ???? right now I'm guessing its starting earlier.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

xiansi posted:

Oh, I can think of a few uses for a downloaded bear...

In other news, some people did this:

and I am glad, because that sort of thing is exactly why we should be exploring space.

18 people in an instance (assuming camera guy as #18)

I'm hella impressed.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Barnacles were popping up and now capital ships are showing up destroyed. Based on their schedule I'm guessing more of these events will show up leading till the next expansion which is going to be thargoid related. Hell given that the last content patch before the expansion is just ???? right now I'm guessing its starting earlier.

They won't make these aliens* an expansion, how would you even justify it when someone who has the expansion gets aliened in open space but the person next to them without the expansion doesn't?

*nobody has actually said "Thargoids" in game relating to the stuff happening and there are more aliens than just them.

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary

LCL-Dead posted:

18 people in an instance (assuming camera guy as #18)

I'm hella impressed.
Well, that's the Distant Worlds expedition. They're somewhere between 800 and 1000 people meeting up on waypoints along to Beagle Point on the other side of the galaxy.
With that many people, the matchmaking must be a piece of cake.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Hi,

I've been playing E:D for some time and also got the Horizons Season. I am sensing a certain jadedness creeping in.

ATM I've got an Exploration ASP and a FAS Bounty Hunter stowed away(and somewhat regretting to have diteched my vulture). As I don't want to grind my brain to death I'd like to add some change to my Exploring/Bounty Hunting routine. I've not really gotten into SRV as it seems like a waste of time. Every now and then I'll land while exploring, but only to make some screenshots.

Any ideas how I can spice up my life before Space Boredom gets into its final phase? Is PP worth it? Or is it simply more of the same? Is trading with a T7 or T9 "more fun" or at least a quicker way to riches? I never flew to the core of the galaxy. Is it worth the hassle? I found the rim pretty good looking, though I had an entire season worth of "The Flash" running on the other screen.

Any advice will be appreciated.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Atrayonis posted:

Well, that's the Distant Worlds expedition. They're somewhere between 800 and 1000 people meeting up on waypoints along to Beagle Point on the other side of the galaxy.
With that many people, the matchmaking must be a piece of cake.
I'm genuinely impressed that the E:D community is big enough to support something like that, I had assumed those numbers were Frontier hyperbole. Do we have sales figures for Horizons yet?

More money = more chance this game gets more stuff more quickly!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

El Grillo posted:

I'm genuinely impressed that the E:D community is big enough to support something like that, I had assumed those numbers were Frontier hyperbole. Do we have sales figures for Horizons yet?

They sold more units of Horizons and the original E:D combined then Star Citizen has backers (a bit over 1 million units). I think it was even mentioned in this thread a couple pages ago.

The Distant Worlds expedition is basically 1% of the potential playerbase, going after the number of owners.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

El Grillo posted:

http://steamspy.com/app/359320

Something like 700K people have purchased the game on Steam or activated their key on Steam. With about 10% of those active in the last two weeks.

E:D is going better than people realize. It doesn't seem to get nearly the press attention that other games get. I think some of that is due to the demographic skewing older than the typical hit game that has streamers and a 24/7 hype machine.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Xae posted:

http://steamspy.com/app/359320

Something like 700K people have purchased the game on Steam or activated their key on Steam. With about 10% of those active in the last two weeks.

E:D is going better than people realize. It doesn't seem to get nearly the press attention that other games get. I think some of that is due to the demographic skewing older than the typical hit game that has streamers and a 24/7 hype machine.

They don't need to advertise. Anyone who knows anything about video game history or space games knows David Braben and his works. You can't buy brand awareness like that.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
"Anyone" who is over the age of 30-35 perhaps. Elite, Frontier and FFE were a long time ago. But that demo kinda works for them right now, with a game that has a very old school feel to it.

The biggest thing that's going to happen for E:D is the collapse of Star Citizen. Once all the tards who spent money on hardware for a game that doesn't exist realize it's never coming, they will look for something else to do with that hardware.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

K8.0 posted:

"Anyone" who is over the age of 30-35 perhaps. Elite, Frontier and FFE were a long time ago. But that demo kinda works for them right now, with a game that has a very old school feel to it.

The biggest thing that's going to happen for E:D is the collapse of Star Citizen. Once all the tards who spent money on hardware for a game that doesn't exist realize it's never coming, they will look for something else to do with that hardware.

Yeah the biggest bad thing.

I don't want those people in my game :whitewater:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

K8.0 posted:

You'd think, but I'm already preparing my new kickstarter "Sternen Bürger" to get my greedy hands on all this idiot-money.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Libluini posted:

They sold more units of Horizons and the original E:D combined then Star Citizen has backers (a bit over 1 million units). I think it was even mentioned in this thread a couple pages ago.
Ah sorry if I missed that. Also Star Citizen hasn't released the actual number of backers but it's pretty certain that it's far, far fewer than the 1 million figure.

Xae posted:

E:D is going better than people realize.
This is cool. I wonder how many have purchased on XBone and their store - and more importantly whether/how much the studio has expanded due to these sales figures. They did so much in a such a short time, but they have such high quality control and are so afraid of allowing exploits/messing with balance or whatever that volume of content is still lacking. I guess I always think of them as quite a small studio because of that, but perhaps I'm wrong? (I know they live off the other games they make as well)

e: oh god :words:
Been thinking about why it doesn't have so much hype, I imagine it's partly because of the general space sim (see above re: SC) and also the inaccessibility thing (i.e. 'wtf is the aim of this game'). But also I think it may partly be because, despite the enormous scale of the universe they've built, they haven't put in a whole lot of things that give you 'holy poo poo' moments, except when play the game for the first couple of times.
Everything looks pretty good and you have the occasional really nice view/system/planet that's worth a screenshot or 10, you have black holes, you have the typical zoom-all-the-way-out galaxy map video, and the cool capital ship warp in effects. But games which rely on viral marketing surely do so on the strength of videos and screenshots, and of course reviews, that make people think 'that's so awesome I have to buy it right now'. E:D is usually more of a slow burn type of game, and that's how it's designed - so beyond Isinona's efforts and unless they increase the multiplayer aspect a lot, I'm not sure you get that many really awesome gameplay videos. But hopefully as they start fleshing out the universe more, with more astronomical features (aurorae, comets, volcanos/protoplanets/etc.) and a greater variety of human-built features (more impressive/varied stations/facilities in more varied locations etc.), that will increase the wow factor and keep pulling people in - because the more content of this type they add, the more their procedural engine has to work with, and the more amazing happenstance combinations of elements will come together to make amazing vistas and stuff like that. See: Space Engine.
Not that their model so far isn't working of course!

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

That Distant Worlds thing is incredible. Is it feasible for someone in a humble Asp to catch up to them at this point and get involved, or are they too far out now? I'd like to see the galaxy but I lack the patience to do it solo

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 7, 2016

• Locked thread