Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

AgentSythe posted:

wizards, you know what you have to do. Make Propaganda modern legal and then it will really be UW Prison's time to shine

ghostly prison already exists

also what would make this deck better than lantern

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Elyv posted:

ghostly prison already exists

also what would make this deck better than lantern

You can't currently run 8 ghostly prisons is the point.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Wasn't there supposed to be an announcement after the finals

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Entropic posted:

You can't currently run 8 ghostly prisons is the point.

I'm aware, but why would you play UW prison over lantern?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/modern-ptq-2016-02-07

it begins...

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
I hope all the modern players in this thread enjoy their new kitchen table decks.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
We need more tournaments to adjust guys :v:

This list ran Ancient Stirrings (which is stupid good sounding in Eldrazi) and 4 World Breakers, which would be hard for even Lantern to do much about.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 7, 2016

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

gently caress it, unban everything, see how Thought-Knot Seer does against Treasure Cruise or turn 2 Hypergenesis

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I mean, you can run 4 Ghost Quarters and Surgical Extraction, but that's kind of the definition of metagame warping.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Who's gonna come up with the Legacy Eldrazi deck...

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

TheKingofSprings posted:

This was so, so much better than last year's it's not even funny.

What actually is funny though is that Twin probably could've stopped this if it were unbanned.

Last years top 8 had infect, so it was better imo.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

We need more tournaments to adjust guys :v:

This list ran Ancient Stirrings (which is stupid good sounding in Eldrazi) and 4 World Breakers, which would be hard for even Lantern to do much about.

This is the format Modern deserves

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

UW Control at 3rd and 9th :eyepop:

U Tron at 16th :chanpop:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Elyv posted:

I'm aware, but why would you play UW prison over lantern?

because I already own the cards for UW Prison and I find White Sun's Zenith or heliod a more amusing win condition

suicidesteve posted:

FTFY and agreed.

this is acceptable

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
The best solution is to never have another Modern Pro Tour again. Modern is an awful format.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Irony Be My Shield posted:

RoE had littledrazi too, they just weren't colorless.

Entropic posted:

In the original Rise of the Eldrazi set, all the smaller creatures were colored, so Eye of Ugin and Eldrazi Temple didn't work for them. No discount on your Kozilek's Predator or Dread Drone. But now with Devoid and colorless costs, the small ones actually are colorless, and suddenly a bunch of tools that were meant for the big boys are unlocked for the creatures cheap enough to be scary.

From a few pages back, but another big difference is that in the original ROE set, there were only a half-dozen of those smaller colored Eldrazi Drones, and they were all below-curve bodies that only existed to generate 0/1 Eldrazi Spawn tokens (or in one case to buff said tokens).

In BFZ block, there's a million littledrazi and aside from the ingesters they're strong in a more generic modern design haymaker sense.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Northjayhawk posted:

The best solution is to never have another Modern Pro Tour again. Modern is an awful format.

split format Pauper/Triple Innistrad draft imo

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

UW Control at 3rd and 9th :eyepop:

U Tron at 16th :chanpop:

As it turns out, Wrath of God plays very well against Eldrazi

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Ancient Stirrings sounds loving ridiculous in Eldrazi too. It can validly fetch every card in the deck that isn't another Ancient Stirrings.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.

:regd08:

Pauper continues to be the only format worth bothering with. See yall in leagues!

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Presented without comment:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

mcmagic posted:

4 Eldrazi Mimic
4 Endless One
4 Matter Reshaper
4 Reality Smasher
4 Oblivion Sower
2 Spellskite
4 Thought-Knot Seer
4 Dismember
4 Chalice of the Void
2 Ratchet Bomb
4 Ancient Tomb
4 Eldrazi Temple
4 Eye of Ugin
4 Wasteland
3 City of Traitors
3 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
2 Wastes

Seems alright. CFB list minus Guides, Blinkmoth Nexus, and Mutavault, with Oblivion Sower, Ancient Tomb, and City of Traitors instead.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mehall posted:

Presented without comment:

The one cent common is now 4 cents! #mtgfinance at its worst!

Edit: What are the odds that the 2 Reality Smashers and 2 Simian Spirit Guides I'm supposed to be getting from Puca Trade ever actually show up?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

The Twin ban will cause the revival of modern control afterall!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
It seems like if this had been a Standard Pro Tour, we would have had more or less the same choice between the previous stale pillars of the format or new Eldrazi decks enabled by OGW, only with the Eldrazi decks being slightly slower I guess?

I think it's interesting how both of the most prominent dumb metagame trends recently (4 color standard and now Eldrazi modern) come down to the question of how degenerate you can make a manabase, just in different ways. You can say that Tron in Modern, and even Affinity (which probably wouldn't be nearly as good if it didn't have 20 mana sources that potentially contribute to the artifact count, with 8 of them being manlands to boot) are also part of this trend.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

JerryLee posted:

It seems like if this had been a Standard Pro Tour, we would have had more or less the same choice between the previous stale pillars of the format or new Eldrazi decks enabled by OGW, only with the Eldrazi decks being slightly slower I guess?

I think it's interesting how both of the most prominent dumb metagame trends recently (4 color standard and now Eldrazi modern) come down to the question of how degenerate you can make a manabase, just in different ways. You can say that Tron in Modern, and even Affinity (which probably wouldn't be nearly as good if it didn't have 20 mana sources that potentially contribute to the artifact count, with 8 of them being manlands to boot) are also part of this trend.

My guess people will arbitrarily get mad when the next PT has a similar looking deck (that is fair) because TKS and Reality Smasher are really good cards in a Standard where you aren't enabling 4 color goodstuff.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Chamale posted:

4 Eldrazi Mimic
4 Endless One
4 Matter Reshaper
4 Reality Smasher
4 Oblivion Sower
2 Spellskite
4 Thought-Knot Seer
4 Dismember
4 Chalice of the Void
2 Ratchet Bomb
4 Ancient Tomb
4 Eldrazi Temple
4 Eye of Ugin
4 Wasteland
3 City of Traitors
3 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
2 Wastes

Seems alright. CFB list minus Guides, Blinkmoth Nexus, and Mutavault, with Oblivion Sower, Ancient Tomb, and City of Traitors instead.

What's the sideboard?
you can probably play 3-balls since everything is pretty expensive, even with the ugin discount
maybe leyline of the void + helm of obedience taking up 8 slots?
Actually, probably Thorn of Amethyst instead of threeball

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

My guess people will arbitrarily get mad when the next PT has a similar looking deck (that is fair) because TKS and Reality Smasher are really good cards in a Standard where you aren't enabling 4 color goodstuff.

There's also so many good colorless lands, like sea-gate wreckage and mirrorpool.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm going to take the glass-half-full stance and say that without the threat of a turn 4 auto-loss in Twin, four mana sweepers become way more viable.

That is a lot of Eldrazi decks though and part of it will eat a ban if the meta can't come up with ways to counter it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I dunno where I go with modern right now. I'd been playing BW Eldrazi online and assembled most of it in paper, beating the spike on the lands and key pieces and got stuff like Smasher, Seer and Reshaper on preorder for chump change. I don't know what it would cost to update the deck online now, but I do have to wonder about a ban, maybe I should stick to Affinity and my mardu brewing? I took a look on eBay earlier and got 3 Fulminator Mages (Fulminator Magi?) for about £20 each, that's good right? Seems good for an Eldrazi-heavy meta right now anyway, especially with fewer Relics being used allowing for recursion.

I would have liked BW/Heartless Eldrazi to have had more of a change to shine. Any chance it's Mimic or Seer that catches the ban and those flavours could get a shot at a big-name event?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

Way ahead of you : )

https://deckbox.org/sets/1325697

I think it's at least t1.5. It destroys miracles. Lots of experimentation yet to do.

I'm honestly pretty pleased with how the PT turned out. A local won, the new cards got their 15 minutes of fame, people with the dedication and creativity to reexplore the format were rewarded, and we got to see some absolutely sick draws and plays.

Post PT, IMO it's pretty clear that eye of ugin is incompatible with cheaper eldrazi and it has got to go. It's probably not worth waiting till April either since it's obvious to everyone and being a land makes it very hard to deal with without warping the meta even more. Having cards that are balanced for standard and not other formats is fine and inevitable it just requires using the banlist which they've shown themselves capable of doing.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I really hope there's enough time for an eldrazi mirror meta to emerge. I want to see people start playing poo poo like Eldrazi Conscription.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I dunno where I go with modern right now. I'd been playing BW Eldrazi online and assembled most of it in paper, beating the spike on the lands and key pieces and got stuff like Smasher, Seer and Reshaper on preorder for chump change. I don't know what it would cost to update the deck online now, but I do have to wonder about a ban, maybe I should stick to Affinity and my mardu brewing? I took a look on eBay earlier and got 3 Fulminator Mages (Fulminator Magi?) for about £20 each, that's good right? Seems good for an Eldrazi-heavy meta right now anyway, especially with fewer Relics being used allowing for recursion.

I would have liked BW/Heartless Eldrazi to have had more of a change to shine. Any chance it's Mimic or Seer that catches the ban and those flavours could get a shot at a big-name event?
It's kindof a shame, but it looks like the pre-OGW builds will be hit along as well since Eye of Ugin is just too good with the C creatures that were specifically pushed for modern. I don't imagine they'll ban TKS because it has some chance of seeing play outside of eldrazi-themed decks.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I guess you could say that this was Pro Tour: Rise of the Eldrazi.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The question is how long Wizards holds off on the inevitable ban to sell more packs of OGW.

(This is known as the Yu-Gi-Oh Design Strategy.)

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

The question is how long Wizards holds off on the inevitable ban to sell more packs of OGW.

(This is known as the Yu-Gi-Oh Design Strategy.)

The next banlist announcement isn't until right around when Shadows over Innistrad goes on sale. Makes you think.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
People complaining saying things are gonna get banned for Eldrazi, but doesn't Blood Moon still exist? Also Fulminator Mage? Also where did the hype go over Boom/Bust? I doubt anything in the deck will get banned once people start figuring out how to sideboard properly.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

There is an Open at the end of the month then Modern GPs start of March. So people have a few weeks to brew up before any big events. MTGO and the Modern classics are probably the most info we'll get til then. After that the next SCG Modern event is the Invitational in April and the next Modern GP is May.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

InterrupterJones posted:

People complaining saying things are gonna get banned for Eldrazi, but doesn't Blood Moon still exist? Also Fulminator Mage? Also where did the hype go over Boom/Bust? I doubt anything in the deck will get banned once people start figuring out how to sideboard properly.

Problem with the current eldrazi builds is that those forms of land hate are too slow. By the time you've played a moon they've already dropped TKS and smasher. Also a TKS sniping those out of hand before they can be cast gives the deck more immunity to those effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
The real wildcard is if the Eldrazi being so dominant against aggro decks will push people to try more combo, mid range, or counter heavy decks to beat it.

• Locked thread