Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Also fuckin lol at complaining about the nanny state and using the idea of rehabilitating addicts and criminals as your go to ridiculous strawman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

my housemate has been rorting centrelink while working cash in hand for loving ages. I dont want to dob her in because she couldnt afford to pay our internet bill if she did and that just isnt gonna fly with me (losing internet)

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Laserface posted:

my housemate has been rorting centrelink while working cash in hand for loving ages. I dont want to dob her in because she couldnt afford to pay our internet bill if she did and that just isnt gonna fly with me (losing internet)

So what you're saying is that it's not enough money for people to survive on and they will break the law rather than deal with the miserly existence that people want to thrust on them?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
You guys are going way over the top. Welfare fraud is a topic worthy of discussion and Llama is being perfectly sensible even if you disagree. God this place is a dogmatic shithole.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

Birb Katter posted:

Someone sitting at home complaining about their welfare issues while taking the side of the people who want to cut their welfare off is a pretty short bow to draw.

Lets move off Pavel and have some Buck Angel for a bit

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/jPwZSts.jpg :nws:

Ket, I'd like to know if Buck passes well enough as a man or the fact that he still has a vagina means that it's not right?

I was a bit worried that that second paragraph might not have read as me still imitating SL, so I'm glad you realised in the end that it was.

Honestly when I see those photos of him my thoughts are - in order of appearance - I wish I looked half as good as him and Gee, I wonder how many fuckwits choose to try a fight with him over looking like that?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Birb Katter posted:

So what you're saying is that it's not enough money for people to survive on and they will break the law rather than deal with the miserly existence that people want to thrust on them?

No she was using it to pay off the crippling debt she had accumulated from being a lovely human being. While spending most of her other money on going out getting shitfaced in the city.

she also plans to take her degree overseas when she graduates this year. an all round leaner.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Laserface posted:

No she was using it to pay off the crippling debt she had accumulated from being a lovely human being. While spending most of her other money on going out getting shitfaced in the city.

she also plans to take her degree overseas when she graduates this year. an all round leaner.

So she was using the extra money to self fund therapy to distract from the crushing existence that is living on the dole. Got it.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
I just wanted to chime in and ask how the gently caress do you people arguing against using PFD's think that they actually restrict your movement in a significant manner?

Unless you are using your old life-jacket that your purchased in 1995 for your extremely dangerous activity, I do not see how these http://www.extrasport.com/ restrict your movement enough to add such an extra risk.

I don't mean to be an arsehole and imply that people complaining about PFD use are overweight or not athletic. My point of view is that PFD's only restrict your actual necessary movements while fishing to a very small degree, and possibly if you are complaining about them restricting your movement, you are just being lazy or are not using your body effectively when casting etc. I mean they even give you a bloody shield to stick the end of your rod into your stomach so you don't get the usual "crutch-burn" from having your rod against your lower stomach while bringing in bigger fish.

What is wrong about adapting to new methods of safety when participating in dangerous activities? I ride a motorbike everyday, and I make sure to wear proper protection because times have evolved and I am not riding a horse on a dirt track, I am putting my life on the line and safety can never be under estimated.

Redcordial fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Feb 7, 2016

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'd prefer they go after the corporations that pay no tax rather than the welfare cheats

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Hmm yes, maybe a current affair has a point after all

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

We're getting the building and construction commission back, so that's shonky builders taken care of
Welfare queens living it up on the taxpayers dime
Chinese buying up our suburbs

What's next on the rundown?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Birb Katter posted:

So she was using the extra money to self fund therapy to distract from the crushing existence that is living on the dole. Got it.

shes not 'on the dole' if shes working for $600 a week cash in hand mate. thats a pretty substantial income.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

In happier news, Jay Weatherill has indicated that SA along with Victoria is ready to take in asylum seekers

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Laserface posted:

shes not 'on the dole' if shes working for $600 a week cash in hand mate. thats a pretty substantial income.

Maybe suck up the fact that you'll lose your internet connection or stop whinging about profiting off this then. Either way we win.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I'm not dumb :eng99:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

IMO they should link your steam account to your mygov to audit for profligacy

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Solemn Sloth posted:

IMO they should link your steam account to your mygov to audit for profligacy

They should hand 30% of your payment straight to colesworth to ensure you're only spending the money on mi goreng and home-brand cereal.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
home brand cereal is yuck

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

bowmore posted:

home brand cereal is yuck

Mi Goreng is pro though

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I hate to continue to Centrelink debate because it's tiring to even read but tomorrow I start work for the dole. What am I doing? No idea. For how long? gently caress knows, my jsp keeps thinking I'm 35 and it's really starting to get to me.

What I do know is there are "changed rules" the best part is even if you are working casual or part time you are expected to cancel work that day, even at a last minute, to attend either a meeting or a job interview your jsp has set up. Or else you'll be cut off from payments straight away, and it can lead to get a 1 month to 6 month ban on reapplying for the dole. It's nothing but threats and being assumed as a criminal/lazy.

Keep worrying about the very few people loving the system and use that to blame everyone just so you can feel like you're doing something 'good'.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

I'm not dumb :eng99:

Everything's relative

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico

Spudd posted:

I hate to continue to Centrelink debate because it's tiring to even read but tomorrow I start work for the dole. What am I doing? No idea. For how long? gently caress knows, my jsp keeps thinking I'm 35 and it's really starting to get to me.

What I do know is there are "changed rules" the best part is even if you are working casual or part time you are expected to cancel work that day, even at a last minute, to attend either a meeting or a job interview your jsp has set up. Or else you'll be cut off from payments straight away, and it can lead to get a 1 month to 6 month ban on reapplying for the dole. It's nothing but threats and being assumed as a criminal/lazy.

Keep worrying about the very few people loving the system and use that to blame everyone just so you can feel like you're doing something 'good'.

This sort of thing is the loving worst, I feel for you and the position you are in must be terrible and I hope you can find some better solutions faster than you expect.

poo poo like this is what gets over looked when people complain about posting too much poo poo related to the plight of our worlds displaced people. When you start to ignore peoples pleas and disregard them, you are part of the problem for these events should be brought into the light of day for all to scrutinize.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

In happier news, Jay Weatherill has indicated that SA along with Victoria is ready to take in asylum seekers

Call me a cynical old bastard, but why now? What is this sudden rush of compassion and generosity from state Premiers who previously have not given two fucks? Could it be that they want something from the feds in an election year? My bet is they'll use this to put pressure on the feds to get whatever they're really after and withdraw the offer, :smug: and :shrug: well we tried but those evil old federals...

:smug: and :shrug: let your politicians do YOU.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

ScreamingLlama posted:

I'm not advocating screwing anyone over, I'm advocating , you know, keeping the bastards honest.

yeah remind us how that ended up again

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Don Chipp knew the real threat to Australian politics was people on Centrelink

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
I wish my life/country was so idyllic that I'd have the time to worry about welfare cheats. :fuckoff:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Magog posted:

I wish my life/country was so idyllic that I'd have the time to worry about welfare cheats. :fuckoff:

Well maybe it would be if it wasn't for all those welfare cheats

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Actually Welfare Island is just a name, it's more of a peninsula.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Redcordial posted:

I just wanted to chime in and ask how the gently caress do you people arguing against using PFD's think that they actually restrict your movement in a significant manner?

Unless you are using your old life-jacket that your purchased in 1995 for your extremely dangerous activity, I do not see how these http://www.extrasport.com/ restrict your movement enough to add such an extra risk.

I don't mean to be an arsehole and imply that people complaining about PFD use are overweight or not athletic. My point of view is that PFD's only restrict your actual necessary movements while fishing to a very small degree, and possibly if you are complaining about them restricting your movement, you are just being lazy or are not using your body effectively when casting etc. I mean they even give you a bloody shield to stick the end of your rod into your stomach so you don't get the usual "crutch-burn" from having your rod against your lower stomach while bringing in bigger fish.

What is wrong about adapting to new methods of safety when participating in dangerous activities? I ride a motorbike everyday, and I make sure to wear proper protection because times have evolved and I am not riding a horse on a dirt track, I am putting my life on the line and safety can never be under estimated.
those are like the PFD I use on the kayak, they allow decent mobility for your shoulders but are still bulky if you are moving around and uncomfortable on hot days.
I wouldn't say that casting becomes impossible when wearing a PFD, it's just an extra level of annoyance and something to catch on that is only really necessary if you go fishing in crap conditions.

Better education targeting groups who are at greater risk of drowning (mostly Asians) would do a much better job of saving lives because you still need someone to enforce to rules and the people missing out on the basic safety messages are probably not going to pay attention to a new rule.

If you:
1. pick a day with low swell, offshore wind and outgoing tide
2. watch the waves for 10-20 minutes upon arrival to make sure they are safe
3. wear clothing you can swim in (not jeans and a shirt)
4. wear shoes that give you good grip ( http://www.sneakyfisho.com/mirage-rockgripper-boots-3158.html )
5. choose a safe spot (i.e. not Punchbowl)
6. leave if the conditions change
you don't need to wear a PFD and are extremely unlikely to die while rock fishing.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Skellybones posted:

Don't whisper, either

Making lovely ASMR jokes over and over isn't exactly going to make me respect your point of view.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Amethyst posted:

You guys are going way over the top. Welfare fraud is a topic worthy of discussion and Llama is being perfectly sensible even if you disagree. God this place is a dogmatic shithole.

Every auspol thread is like standing in a Greens echo chamber, listening to the endless echoes of Richard DiNatale/Sarah Hanson-Young worship and choking on pot smoke and patchouli vapour.

GrandTheftAutism fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 7, 2016

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Magog posted:

It's not big on my radar, but having lived with proud welfare cheats in sharehouses in the past, it actually makes me quite angry that people (not many admittedly) knowingly do this while genuinely needy people are put through the ringer to receive their meager pennies.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

ScreamingLlama posted:

Making lovely ASMR jokes over and over isn't exactly going to make me respect your point of view.

Ignoring a perfectly sensible point of view simply because people who hold it also make fun of you doesn't seem very rational.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

ScreamingLlama posted:

Every auspol thread is like standing in a Greens echo chamber, listening to the endless echoes of Richard DiNatale/Sarah Hanson-Young worship and choking on pot smoke and patchouli vapour.

stop posting you loving moron.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

*nervously adjusts lapel to hide SHY pin*

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

ScreamingLlama posted:

And you're a Centralist Libertarian contrarian who complains when you're not getting a slice of the welfare action, but happy to deny it to others.

It's little wonder the Democrats went down in a flaming heap

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

ScreamingLlama posted:

And this is the guy who actually wants to go on DSP.

Why don't you pull yourself up by your bootstraps and work?

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

ScreamingLlama posted:

Sarah Hanson-Young worship
Shows how little you pay attention. Most of us have a very low opinion of her. Her not getting leadership of the Greens was met by cheers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Pickled Tink posted:

Shows how little you pay attention. Most of us have a very low opinion of her. Her not getting leadership of the Greens was met by cheers.

He probably thought how quiet we were about SHY was a sign of respect.

• Locked thread