Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I bet this is sort of like when my grandfather saw us playing Call of Duty, huh?

GAWD drat IT DON'T THEY HAVE loving MAPS FOR gently caress'S SAKE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/trucker-fined-20000-for-pulling-overweight-load-over-damaged-bridge

So apparently you can roll almost four times the posted weight capacity over an under-construction, damaged bridge and it still won't collapse.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Safety factors are a hell of a thing.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
LoL I was weighed in at 54ish metric tons, got to a bridge that said "max rating 5 tons" on a lovely little oilfield road. Luckily I had cell service. Called the lease consultant and he says "Oh don't worry about those signs those bridges are strong! If it didn't collapse from moving the drilling rig it wont collapse for you."

This. This was the bridge. https://goo.gl/maps/Xfuiqr8Ayvm

jonathan fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 27, 2016

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

toplitzin posted:

SOON:

February 3.

American Truck Simulator

http://store.steampowered.com/app/270880/

I got all excited... I wanted to see how well they did with I15 from Vegas to LA..... see how accurate a bunch of euro's gets it.......

and.... where's the climb? The 55mph drop at the CA border? No death valley/baker? And Barstow has a nuclear power plant?... they should have let a few developers take a road trip :v:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Big K of Justice posted:

I got all excited... I wanted to see how well they did with I15 from Vegas to LA..... see how accurate a bunch of euro's gets it.......

and.... where's the climb? The 55mph drop at the CA border? No death valley/baker? And Barstow has a nuclear power plant?... they should have let a few developers take a road trip :v:
If I can't roll into the dirt lot next to the Del Taco next to the Flying J in Barstow then that game is pointless.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

CannonFodder posted:

If I can't roll into the dirt lot next to the Del Taco next to the Flying J in Barstow then that game is pointless.

I know its a game but , rockstar does their video game/parody version of California pretty well by just dropping in enough real world references in scattered locations as a good example.

You want to give the whole 5 hour trip down to 5 minutes, I would have had:

0:00 Primm all on one overpass exit.
1:00 The climb out of Primm with a shitload of assholes and RV's blocking all lanes including the truck lane at random through the hills.
2:00 Joshua Tree's on the left and death valley on the right, have a beef jerky stand and a giant thermometer pop up at the halfway point for baker.
3:00 Segment ends at Yermo/Barstow at the agricultural inspection station. Have a random white van drop out migrant workers running across the highway :v:
4:00 strip malls and random desert lots from barstow, apple valley and victor ville...
5:00 cajon pass with a mountain pass decent with lots of big turns with a few trains in the background

They did put in the Solar plant so bonus points for that.

Weclome to the LA clusterfuck.

On the other hand anything to spice up the drive on I5 between LA and SF will be a bonus otherwise it's a shitload of dustbowls, empty farms and angry anti-congress billboards.

Still going to buy the game I guess :)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I played euro truck simulator 2, and what dissapointed me the most is that all the roads were truck friendly. Your gps didn't send you down a long dead end with nowhere to turn around, which is really an essential part of the trucking experience.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Powershift posted:

I played euro truck simulator 2, and what dissapointed me the most is that all the roads were truck friendly. Your gps didn't send you down a long dead end with nowhere to turn around, which is really an essential part of the trucking experience.

Every once in a while I still wonder how the hell I've gotten myself out of some situations that I've gotten stuck in due to bad directions/GPS coordinates.

Christ, the main one that I can recall happened about six or seven years ago. I had to go to some paper mill in western Kentucky, and the directions I was sent on my Qualcomm said to turn left onto Home Road and it'll be at the end. Well, for some reason Home Road turned out to be an incredibly narrow and hilly stretch of dirt road that ended at a rusted out double wide trailer, with no mill to be found. I end up calling the number for the customer I was given, and, whatdayano, it's a bad number. I end up getting a hold of dispatch who was able to find the correct number and patch me in on a conference call so I could get the real directions, which I end up getting. Now, back to the matter of how the gently caress am I going to get out of here? Well, I basically have to end up backing up into the main road and stop traffic, which took for loving ever. I can't believe that I didn't get into an accident, and I sure as hell made sure to give dispatch as much poo poo as I could verbally throw at them because of the gently caress-up with those bad directions. God damnit, I still get infuriated when I think about it for too long.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

A TURGID FATSO posted:

Every once in a while I still wonder how the hell I've gotten myself out of some situations that I've gotten stuck in due to bad directions/GPS coordinates.

Christ, the main one that I can recall happened about six or seven years ago. I had to go to some paper mill in western Kentucky, and the directions I was sent on my Qualcomm said to turn left onto Home Road and it'll be at the end. Well, for some reason Home Road turned out to be an incredibly narrow and hilly stretch of dirt road that ended at a rusted out double wide trailer, with no mill to be found. I end up calling the number for the customer I was given, and, whatdayano, it's a bad number. I end up getting a hold of dispatch who was able to find the correct number and patch me in on a conference call so I could get the real directions, which I end up getting. Now, back to the matter of how the gently caress am I going to get out of here? Well, I basically have to end up backing up into the main road and stop traffic, which took for loving ever. I can't believe that I didn't get into an accident, and I sure as hell made sure to give dispatch as much poo poo as I could verbally throw at them because of the gently caress-up with those bad directions. God damnit, I still get infuriated when I think about it for too long.

my most memorable one was trying to turn around in a location where you could see a bunch of other people turned around. well i guess none of those people were loaded trucks because i got about half way in and my front end dropped, so i laid into it figuring i could go completely around the outside and i ended up sinking the truck and trailer up to the axles in sand on the back side of it.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

psst, wee have a thread for ETS2 and ATS over here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3761915

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

https://youtu.be/GofQQEHPc8s?t=2m41s

Someone needs to buy these assholes a map, been driving too long not to get triggered by this map.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Ok so they did put baker in between Barstow and Primm. That being said, I didn't have a good time having the game route me from Oxnard to SF via PCH and big Sur. :v:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Why would anyone who trucks for a living play this game ? I was playing spin tires for a bit, and after an hour I was pretty much like gently caress this its basically unpaid overtime

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Did you watch the trailer? I'm pretty sure real truckers aren't their target audience.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

jonathan posted:

Why would anyone who trucks for a living play this game ? I was playing spin tires for a bit, and after an hour I was pretty much like gently caress this its basically unpaid overtime

ETS was fun because you could rock a 700hp volvo and just do 100mph everywhere and not give a gently caress.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

ETS was fun because you could rock a 700hp volvo and just do 100mph everywhere and not give a gently caress.

I do that already! In reality after flipping that truck last month I'm now downgraded to a poo poo rear end peterbilt tridrive with the air actuated passenger window.

I forgot how well old cat motors pull below 1500rpm.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oops forgot to mention after a weekend of investigation with both my employer and energy company, they both agreed that the situation was 100% unavoidable, especially after reviewing my phone records (I volunteered), drug test, and pulling the trucks GPS logs (at time of incident I was doing 35 in a 70 zone).

They really really wanted to find something that goes against their paperwork so they could say "aha! An opportunity to make the drivers sign more policies!"

LoL the only they they could say was "unofficially perhaps you could have played chicken and forced the incoming driver to his ditch instead"

Then they terminated my employment. Did I mention this was my first day on the job ?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

I should become a diesel bear and harass all the SWIFT drivers.

IV8: [after pulling car over] Do you know how fast you were going back there?
Swift Driver 1: Umm... 65?
IV8: 63.
Swift Driver 1: But... isn't the speed limit 65?
IV8: Yes, it is.
Swift Trainer 3: [stoned] I'm freakin' out, man!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

That ain't no swift truck! :D

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Well, it's parked like one.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

drat!

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

jonathan posted:

timg]http://i.imgur.com/k1Wmvfy.jpg[/timg]

That ain't no swift truck! :D
BART
Ah, jeez. Milhouse, how could you let this happen? You were supposed to be the night watchman.

MILHOUSE
I was watchin'. I saw the whole thing. First it started falling over, then it fell over.

Powershift posted:

:master:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0obAEPT-3Y

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

The music he is listening to makes the video

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

https://youtu.be/8EfVlyFK_Zs

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

gently caress I thought that "you come in men" rejoinder was original when I used it this morning.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

gently caress I thought that "you come in men" rejoinder was original when I used it this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m_L3sPNouk

YOU DA REAL MVP

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
I'm super addicted to highway thru hell and i was wondering how accurate it is?
sure a lot of it is exaggerated but it seems dangerous as hell

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Honestly though, it seems to me like the situations are what they are. I don't see a lot of manufactured problems aside from squabbles between the crew.

NoWake fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 7, 2016

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

I'm super addicted to highway thru hell and i was wondering how accurate it is?
sure a lot of it is exaggerated but it seems dangerous as hell

Not accurate at all. Drove that section for years with a Super B tanker (144,000lb curb weight).

Basically just a bunch of blow hards trying to make a decent highway that gets some slushy snow seem like it's the next ice road truckers (which is also nothing like the show)

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Speaking of ice roads, we had a driver try to do a parked regen in the middle of a lake last week. In a truck with a grass burner.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Tommychu posted:

Speaking of ice roads, we had a driver try to do a parked regen in the middle of a lake last week. In a truck with a grass burner.

Stacks to collect rain, grass burners to collect lake.

RockNRoll Jesus
Jan 3, 2008

FIND YOUR GOD FUCKING FLASH DRIVE
I have a question. I am not a trucker and this happened ten years ago. I was on I 35 South of Emporia, Kansas where it is all KS Turnpike. I was headed to Wichita to go see a friend. At one point there was a construction zone and speeds were reduced to 55 or something like that and it was one lane. I slowed down only to have a semi come on my rear end, flashing lights and blowing his airhorn. Problem was, there was nothing I could do. I knew enough about hours of service and poo poo like that to increase my speed to about five over to try and help the guy out, but seriously it was a one lane road with cones. What did he expect me to do besides risk a speeding ticket and marks on his own license? There was nowhere to pull over and let him pass. My only guess was that he was near or past his HoS and was annoyed at me for...doing the speed limit?

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

RockNRoll Jesus posted:

I have a question. I am not a trucker and this happened ten years ago. I was on I 35 South of Emporia, Kansas where it is all KS Turnpike. I was headed to Wichita to go see a friend. At one point there was a construction zone and speeds were reduced to 55 or something like that and it was one lane. I slowed down only to have a semi come on my rear end, flashing lights and blowing his airhorn. Problem was, there was nothing I could do. I knew enough about hours of service and poo poo like that to increase my speed to about five over to try and help the guy out, but seriously it was a one lane road with cones. What did he expect me to do besides risk a speeding ticket and marks on his own license? There was nowhere to pull over and let him pass. My only guess was that he was near or past his HoS and was annoyed at me for...doing the speed limit?

As a trucker I say gently caress that idiot. He can't trip plan correctly if he's putting other motorists lives at risk just so he doesn't have to go 55 in a construction zone.

RockNRoll Jesus
Jan 3, 2008

I appreciate the answer. As with any driver in the US, construction zones are double fines.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, you were in the right. Even as a self described person who speeds like a mad oval office, I have no problem with what you did. One lane construction zones just suck and you were following the law, no problems here.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Could have been a Russian, those guy can't read English and are idiots. I'm not kidding, watched one get his CDL pulled for not being able to read "Construction Ahead, Merge Right" sign at the Wyoming scalehouse.

RockNRoll Jesus
Jan 3, 2008

Really? I'm not doubting you by any means, but the thought of foreign truckers attempting to navigate American highways without even rudimentary knowledge of the English language terrifies me. How does this happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

RockNRoll Jesus posted:

Really? I'm not doubting you by any means, but the thought of foreign truckers attempting to navigate American highways without even rudimentary knowledge of the English language terrifies me. How does this happen?

American bureaucracy is quite ineffective with tests as long as you can just memorize the bare minimum. The trucking industry has such high turnover rate for drivers that pretty much anyone that can sit in a drivers seat can be hired if they hold the wheel (relatively straight).

• Locked thread