Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

InterrupterJones posted:

People complaining saying things are gonna get banned for Eldrazi, but doesn't Blood Moon still exist? Also Fulminator Mage? Also where did the hype go over Boom/Bust? I doubt anything in the deck will get banned once people start figuring out how to sideboard properly.

Hard to shut down their turn 2 play with a 3-mana spell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

InterrupterJones posted:

People complaining saying things are gonna get banned for Eldrazi, but doesn't Blood Moon still exist? Also Fulminator Mage? Also where did the hype go over Boom/Bust? I doubt anything in the deck will get banned once people start figuring out how to sideboard properly.

The main problem with all the answers is that they don't really do anything against the nut Eye of Ugin draw, at least not in time to avoid dying or avoid getting your answer eaten by Thought-Knot. I wonder what the deck and its matchups look like with Eye, but nothing else, banned. All of a sudden it's much harder (not to say impossible) to get a super-fast Mimic kill or to Thought-Knot your opponent on turn 2.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Star Man posted:

I guess you could say that this was Pro Tour: Rise of the Eldrazi.

Was PT:ROE the caw blade one? Because it does seem similar.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Cactrot posted:

Caw Blade didn't happen until they printed Swords and Batterskull in Scars block

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Hard to shut down their turn 2 play with a 3-mana spell.
The answer isn't "I'm gonna cast Blood Moon and hope they didn't already go off" its "play 4 Ghost Quarter and Surgical Extraction Eye of Ugin before they can play another one" but again, that is the definition of format-warping. At that point you're playing Eldrazi or anti-Eldrazi. That scenario is the "ban immediately scenario" because it means its pushing out all the other decks that aren't specifically set up to hate on that deck.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 8, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think you mostly just want some removal spells to slow them down a bit and a wrath to blow them out. I don't know how well the deck can really recover from that.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Cactrot posted:

No, if they'd been tying PTs to set releases like this back then, it would have been Pro Tour Mirrodin Beseiged.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think you mostly just want some removal spells to slow them down a bit and a wrath to blow them out. I don't know how well the deck can really recover from that.

The problem is that Thought-Knot is a 4/4 that steals answers incidentally and if the meta adjusts by loading up on Wrath of God the Eldrazi deck can probably get a blowout by playing Warping Wail.

Not to mention the Eldrazi deck isn't complete: running a fully colorless version of the deck is just the best they could come up with in the 3 weeks after Twin got banned and they had to say "what deck are we playing?" Ari Lax won PT:KTK with a Abzan build that wasn't nearly as good as the better decks that came after it even before FRF came out - it was just the first big stage where we saw that archetype. Sure, you can run Ensnaring Bridge and play Lantern, but the winning deck was running blue, red and colorless. If someone's playing green (like Lepore was), the deck could just Eye of Ugin search a World Breaker in response to destroy the bridge, or there's a RG version with Ancient Stirrings and 4 World Breaker out there.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 8, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

JerryLee posted:

The main problem with all the answers is that they don't really do anything against the nut Eye of Ugin draw, at least not in time to avoid dying or avoid getting your answer eaten by Thought-Knot. I wonder what the deck and its matchups look like with Eye, but nothing else, banned. All of a sudden it's much harder (not to say impossible) to get a super-fast Mimic kill or to Thought-Knot your opponent on turn 2.

Like someone said earlier, it looks like an Oath sealed deck.

That is to say, bad.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

How long until Wild Nacatl gets banned again to allow other aggressive decks to thrive?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I read the suggestion to play hatebears with lots of removal, 4 Wilt-Leaf Liege, and 4 Obstinate Baloth to gently caress with Reality Smasher.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Assuming I don't play Eldrazi myself I really want to play Zealous Persecution. Multiple T1 Mimics go very sour.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

It's actually pretty interesting thinking about what can be played to try and slow down the deck. 4 Blood Moon and 4 Ghost Quarter in a R/W Control shell to try and stop its mana? Cards like Forked Bolt for busted Mimic openers, or even running out an early Porphyry Nodes on turn one before Thought-Knot can snag it - then maybe combine the Nodes with Condemns/Paths to clear out larger bodies while it cuts down Mimics and Reshapers?

Comedy option: Turbo Fog. I can't figure out the sweetest win condition for that, though.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

poo poo, I should have waited on trading in my Eye. gently caress me.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Kilo147 posted:

poo poo, I should have waited on trading in my Eye. gently caress me.

I hear ya. Traded all my Caverns and Chalices for a modern burn deck on Wednesday.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

an_mutt posted:

It's actually pretty interesting thinking about what can be played to try and slow down the deck. 4 Blood Moon and 4 Ghost Quarter in a R/W Control shell to try and stop its mana? Cards like Forked Bolt for busted Mimic openers, or even running out an early Porphyry Nodes on turn one before Thought-Knot can snag it - then maybe combine the Nodes with Condemns/Paths to clear out larger bodies while it cuts down Mimics and Reshapers?

Comedy option: Turbo Fog. I can't figure out the sweetest win condition for that, though.

Ghostly prison ensnaring bridge blood moon ghost quarter. Dec

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Chamale posted:

I read the suggestion to play hatebears with lots of removal, 4 Wilt-Leaf Liege, and 4 Obstinate Baloth to gently caress with Reality Smasher.

TKS exiles the card from hand so baloth and Liege won't work.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Chamale posted:

I hear ya. Traded all my Caverns and Chalices for a modern burn deck on Wednesday.

Totes worth it though, got my Zombie Hunt deck and a poo poo ton of boxes and sleeves. Just wish I would have held on and been able to finish out my main Eldrazi Ramp deck. I still need to foil out the creatures. (the only creatures are non-devoid colorless, including all the Titans, and foil when I can afford it)

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

jassi007 posted:

Ghostly prison ensnaring bridge blood moon ghost quarter. Dec

bahra has been playing a deck that's basically this, but it's red-white for the landwipes and ajani vengeant

it seems good, but like half the time it just doesn't play any cards until turn 3 or 4.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

an_mutt posted:

I've been working on a UW turbo fog build that just mills people out with Howling Mine effects. Thankfully none of these new Eldrazi have graveyard shuffle effects. Sadly it also takes advantage of Sphinx's Tutelage which is less effective against a colorless deck.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

They still work against reality smasher, don't they? (For a certain sense of "work")

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Fingers McLongDong posted:

You discard them to Reality Smasher

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

suicidesteve posted:

You discard them to Reality Smasher

:captainpop:

Suddenly Loxodon Smiter, Baloth, and Liege looking legit.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Seems pretty hard to tune balance this one. If Eye of Ugin is legal and the deck can produce 2-4 mana from one land every turn, starting at turn 1, it's loving nutty. If that's not the case, it's a bunch of creatures that sit pretty high up on the curve and range from playable to bad in terms of raw power level.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I got my Eye of Ugin at $5 for Animar because it can search Ancestral Statue.

I think I made a good choice.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Madness being a mechanic in SOI is going to make killing Reality Smasher a little more potentially profitable.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Someone on Reddit raised an interesting suggestion for a hoser for Eye- Painter's Servant. It was suggested for Affinity sideboards but I've long wanted to brew around it.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

JerryLee posted:

Perhaps the landy stuff is a bit slow, but that in tandem with something like Mana Leak T2 on the play seems like it'd be good. I didn't watch the whole PT coverage, but the deck seems like it would have a tough time against certain control builds.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

InterrupterJones posted:

Perhaps the landy stuff is a bit slow, but that in tandem with something like Mana Leak T2 on the play seems like it'd be good. I didn't watch the whole PT coverage, but the deck seems like it would have a tough time against certain control builds.

The problem is that if they're on the play then this happens while you have one mana out.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Voyager I posted:

The problem is that if they're on the play then this happens while you have one mana out.

WotC reprint Force Spike! :argh:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

You're in full-on denial if you can't recognize that playing spells that cost 4 or 5 on Turn 2 is fundamentally broken. Most of the cards that do that are on the banned list in Legacy.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Count Bleck posted:

WotC reprint Force Spike! :argh:

They did! In white!

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

They did! In white!

Time for Mana Tithe to SHINE!

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Agreed, something is getting banned from this deck for sure. Now is the time to sell Eye of Ugin/Chalice of the Void, and you shouldn't buy those cards if you don't like burning money.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

You're in full-on denial if you can't recognize that playing spells that cost 4 or 5 on Turn 2 is fundamentally broken. Most of the cards that do that are on the banned list in Legacy.

And in fact people are seriously talking up Eldrazi as a new Legacy archetype because its so strong. I'm really glad I bought out 3 Eye of Ugins for 3 bucks, they are already on Ebay, cause there is no way this deck isn't getting banned by Shadows of Innistrad. All the usual counters Blood moon, ensnaring bridge, are just too slow, and the deck can fetch answers by just not going all in colorless (like the one that won the PT) with Eye of Ugin and one of the Eldrazi's that do stuff other than being amazing value for what you pay. Also the deck can just flat out kill you turn 3 or 4 anyways.

Which makes me lol at people who think Twin was really gonna stop a deck that packed 4 mainboard Dismember, (that it can cast while completely tapped out with Simian Spirit Guide!) and 4 mainboard hand disruption with Thoughknot Seer. Especially when the deck just flat out killed you turn 4 or 5. The only way Twin could possibly beat this deck would require having the combo naturally in hand, Twin being on the play, and them having either a remand or mana leak to stop the thought knot seer going down. And even they might have a Dismember or another Thought Knot Seer turn 3.

anglachel fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 8, 2016

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'm really curious what role this will have in the NBL Modern metagame. Also, I'm going to design a Vintage version of this deck because gently caress it, why not?

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
I hope they dont ban chalice, its a great card that punishes the current meta hard is all. It does what it always has, hurt specific decks. I hope it doesnt get pulled down with Eye bans. If Chalice goes,then so does a great tool for anything not aggro linear to compete with them.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Chairman Pow! posted:

I hope they dont ban chalice, its a great card that punishes the current meta hard is all. It does what it always has, hurt specific decks. I hope it doesnt get pulled down with Eye bans. If Chalice goes,then so does a great tool for anything not aggro linear to compete with them.

Chalice is fine. The problem cards in Eldrazi are Eldrazi Temple, Eye of Ugin, and (arguably) Simian Spirit Guide and Thought-Knot Seer.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Chairman Pow! posted:

The real wildcard is if the Eldrazi being so dominant against aggro decks will push people to try more combo, mid range, or counter heavy decks to beat it.

The remaining combo is way too slow. If I was going to try to beat the Eldrazi decks I think I would be on Bogles.

Angry Grimace posted:

Caw Blade didn't happen until they printed Swords and Batterskull in Scars block

The answer isn't "I'm gonna cast Blood Moon and hope they didn't already go off" its "play 4 Ghost Quarter and Surgical Extraction Eye of Ugin before they can play another one" but again, that is the definition of format-warping. At that point you're playing Eldrazi or anti-Eldrazi. That scenario is the "ban immediately scenario" because it means its pushing out all the other decks that aren't specifically set up to hate on that deck.

Planning on having the perfect two sideboard cards before they can dump their hand is not remotely realistic

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

rabidsquid posted:

The remaining combo is way too slow. If I was going to try to beat the Eldrazi decks I think I would be on Bogles.

And hope they don't have the turn 1 Chalice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

If they have the perfect two cards to beat me in their opening hand then fuckin whatever, Bogles is the exact same kind of horse poo poo anyway.

• Locked thread