Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Choco1980 posted:

I dunno, I got the joke from issue 1. Howard was the guy representing the tip lines and Nintendo Power itself, with all the inside knowledge. NESter was the kid who didn't want to read the manual before playing and blamed the game when he messed up and thought it was stupid. (my older brother was one of those kids)

I thought Howard was based on Howard Lincoln, the Senior Vice President/chairman of Nintendo of America, but apparently he was actually a real person: http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Howard_Phillips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

King Vidiot posted:

Not only do I remember the magazine, I remember the show that started the magazine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2-LEBc2sO8

We used to watch it all the time in school (for me, Kindergarten and Pre-K) , and yeah it was an 80's thing. Very 80's.

"Cricket" rules. "Owl" ruled. "World" ruled. "Penny Power"/"Zillions" ruled. The older version of "Ranger Rick" ruled (but do not look at what's passing for the illustrations in the "Adventures of Ranger Rick" section now, it's depressing.). "321 Contact" ruled and didn't it change its name to "Kid City" at one point? I just remember one issue with a bizarre and clueless cover article about "The Simpsons".

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Here's a 1998-ish picture of the band Slipknot out of their usual costumes.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Masonic Youth posted:

Nathan Explosion there looks like a lot of fun.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Also I had assumed that the bald dork on the right was their manager or tour bus driver or something but I was wrong and he is this person:

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Masonic Youth posted:

The masks make perfect sense after seeing that pic, they look like a lovely 90's pop punk band. Except Mr. Metal with crossed arms, he'll play the gig but only if he can do solos and rock a B.C Rich.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

W424 posted:

The masks make perfect sense after seeing that pic, they look like a lovely 90's pop punk band. Except Mr. Metal with crossed arms, he'll play the gig but only if he can do solos and rock a B.C Rich.

I had already assumed he was this guy:

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

Semisponge posted:

Slightly 80s, but does anyone remember the 3-2-1 Contact magazine? I distinctly remember a small comic strip at the bottom of some of the pages featuring various bugs, including twin sister ants and an earthworm wearing a bandaid. I swear it exists but can't find any proof, if someone could please corroborate my memory I'd be infinitely grateful.

Holy moly, my parents might have these kicking around in their attic. This magazine and Ranger Rick owned bones.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Anybody knows of a good Qix clone? So far Google hasn't helped, and the flash arcade version plays like poo poo.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Non Serviam posted:

Anybody knows of a good Qix clone? So far Google hasn't helped, and the flash arcade version plays like poo poo.

Jezzball has some similarities, though not a clone.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Non Serviam posted:

Archive.org is your friend:
https://archive.org/details/sg_Ultimate_Qix_1991_Taito_US
https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos_games?and[]=qix

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZaGhFNT-jY

AKA "Stepkids" on the Ninja Turtles 2 VHS tape.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Your periodic reminder that the 25'th Super Bowl Halftime Show was batshit insane and also painfully '90's.

(Video is crap but this is the only one I found that didn't cut the first ten minutes out. Now imagine us dumb teenage girls eagerly awaiting a New Kids on the Block halftime show only to have it preempted by coverage of the Gulf War, then staying up late after the game and seeing... this.)

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The TV chat made me think about...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qECkG3c8y8I

WELL, DON'T LOOK FOR IT NOW. IT'S ONLY AVAILABLE IN THE YEAR 2000!

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
I feel like I've posted this before, but god drat is it still beautifully 90's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbK-Bo3k9KQ

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

MokBa posted:

I had the first Bubsy game and once you take out childhood nostalgia, it had pretty garbage controls, physics, and hitboxes.

Bubsy had nostalgia?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Holy poo poo. :stare: This is like a bad acid trip.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Non Serviam posted:

This is a Spanish pc gaming magazine. I remember reading it cover to cover, several times over. It also included those Cds with demos and stuff.
It's the release of King Quest VII, so it's a long time ago. It's funny this is the first Google Image result I got when I googled the name, considering I only remember this cover and one with Alone in the Dark.

Edit. Holy shiiiiit

I remember one of those demo Cds included a game that was basically moving a line in an empty square, forming a picture. There was a ball bouncing at the same time, and if it hit your line before you uncovered a part of the photo, you lost. Does that very weird description ring any bells?

A little late but drat those covers are loving beautiful. Those paintings are so much better than the games they are representing.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

WeX Majors posted:

I feel like I've posted this before, but god drat is it still beautifully 90's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbK-Bo3k9KQ

I always find it amusing when the "american" version of Beyond 2000 shows up. Seems like the exact kind of show that would have existed or been remade in America already but nope, just film some nerdy looking guy doing the intros and keep the really obvious Australian presenters in!

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Nutsngum posted:

I always find it amusing when the "american" version of Beyond 2000 shows up. Seems like the exact kind of show that would have existed or been remade in America already but nope, just film some nerdy looking guy doing the intros and keep the really obvious Australian presenters in!

Yeah we had a running joke that every episode of Beyond 2000 would somehow feature the words 'aluminium' and 'schedule' just to emphasize the accent. I think in one episode they were in the same sentence and I flipped out. I was like 9.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Masonic Youth posted:

Also I had assumed that the bald dork on the right was their manager or tour bus driver or something but I was wrong and he is this person:

Nobody cared who he was until he put on the mask

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Nutsngum posted:

How is it english people never realized just how INSANELY creepy and weird this thing is? Like its almost nightmarish.

We knew. It's just our dark humour.

88h88 posted:

There was also a lot of 'erotic' version of this where you'd uncover 90s blocky nude women as you went. I remember playing one version in Italy when I was about 12 (some 20 years ago). Apparently they were known as 'Gals Panic'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gals_Panic

I used to have 2 pirated versions of these types of games for my Amiga but they were like some kind of number puzzle; Penthouse Hot Numbers and Sexy Droids.

Yes, you read the name of that last one correctly.

Edit: Oh yeah those links are :nws:

beato has a new favorite as of 15:04 on Feb 18, 2016

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Shamelessly stealing Hajime Soriyama prints for that second game. Man, that guy was huge in the 90s in like, every single graphic art publication.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nutsngum posted:

How is it english people never realized just how INSANELY creepy and weird this thing is? Like its almost nightmarish.

The dark secret is that Mr Blobby is England's version of The Ring. Now make sure you get someone else to watch one of his videos, or Mr Blobby will visit you.

twistedmentat posted:

But yea, sonic had 3 decent games, the rest has been absolute crap. I will never, ever understand the obsession some people have with Sonic, even beyond mentally ill people like Chris-Chan.

Actually the last decent Sonic games were Colours (which was outright good to everyone's surprise), and Generations (which was mostly good, with some bad level choices like an over-focus on Sonic '06 on the PS3/X360 version).

I still hold that the only reason Colours turned out as a good game was because the management was busy loving up handholding Sonic 4 at the time.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShIxN7vbblA

Elbows off the table! Take small bites! hmhmhmhmhm!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mariana Horchata posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShIxN7vbblA

Elbows off the table! Take small bites! hmhmhmhmhm!

You know, my family never had the no elbows on the table thing, and I was extremely confused when I went to Camp when that got you punished for doing it.

Sega ads are basically a mash up of all the most 90s possible stuff you can imagine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEHWHgbU5Jw

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Rahonavis posted:

Your periodic reminder that the 25'th Super Bowl Halftime Show was batshit insane and also painfully '90's.

(Video is crap but this is the only one I found that didn't cut the first ten minutes out. Now imagine us dumb teenage girls eagerly awaiting a New Kids on the Block halftime show only to have it preempted by coverage of the Gulf War, then staying up late after the game and seeing... this.)

Holky gently caress. If only there were some dads reaction videos.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

twistedmentat posted:

You know, my family never had the no elbows on the table thing, and I was extremely confused when I went to Camp when that got you punished for doing it.

We had this rule growing up, and I guess it bugs me when people do it now since it was drilled into me, but I can't figure out why it's a rule for the life of me.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Rough Lobster posted:

We had this rule growing up, and I guess it bugs me when people do it now since it was drilled into me, but I can't figure out why it's a rule for the life of me.

I think it has to do with making sure everyone has enough room when sitting side-by-side at a long table, especially back in the days when benches were more common than individual chairs. Of course, that usually isn't how we eat today but its still considered polite.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

twistedmentat posted:

Sega ads are basically a mash up of all the most 90s possible stuff you can imagine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEHWHgbU5Jw

Well, Sega does what Ninten-don't!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Christo posted:

I think it has to do with making sure everyone has enough room when sitting side-by-side at a long table, especially back in the days when benches were more common than individual chairs. Of course, that usually isn't how we eat today but its still considered polite.

When I was little I didn't get how I was supposed to eat without my elbows ever touching the table. It's easier when you're taller.

I figured it was to keep kids from leaning their head on their hands, looking disinterested and slouchy.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DrBouvenstein posted:

Well, Sega does what Ninten-don't!

The dude dancing is like the most 90s thing.

And I figure elbows on the table is one of those manners rules that was cooked up in some stuffy and humorless manners guide.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

8 year old me was so pumped when I opened these for my birthday in 96

Framptonlive
Nov 22, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nickelodeon definitely had a 3D event, I remember begging my mother for boxes of cereal so me and my brother could watch. I want to say it was some kind of special halloween thing, but I could be wrong. I remember watching hey arnold in 3D and it being pretty poo poo. Neat idea though.

Edit: Apparently it was called nogglevision and you could get it with boxes of kraft mac n cheese.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFqpINwlRvo

Framptonlive has a new favorite as of 23:11 on Feb 23, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Framptonlive posted:

Nickelodeon definitely had a 3D event, I remember begging my mother for boxes of cereal so me and my brother could watch. I want to say it was some kind of special halloween thing, but I could be wrong. I remember watching hey arnold in 3D and it being pretty poo poo. Neat idea though.

Edit: Apparently it was called nogglevision and you could get it with boxes of kraft mac n cheese.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFqpINwlRvo

I remember something similar but for scratch and sniff that would coordinate with things happening on screen at specific times. I forget if it was for Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network. I think it was for CN with having one for Cow and Chicken, but I don't remember exactly.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I remember something similar but for scratch and sniff that would coordinate with things happening on screen at specific times. I forget if it was for Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network. I think it was for CN with having one for Cow and Chicken, but I don't remember exactly.

I want to say the Rugrats Movie did that in theaters.

And I also want to say they used the same name for it John Waters did for the gimmick in Polyester, and got sued.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Rahonavis posted:

"Penny Power"/"Zillions" ruled.
Was just coming to post that same thought.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Interesting article. I remember loving Zillions when I was younger, what an important magazine to have available for the 8-14 demographic. Consumer reports and education on what ads really are, directed at an age group who is probably the most susceptible to believing the absurd ads directed at them.

They don't teach that poo poo in school and I'm sure it's generally easy to make kids part with what little money they have (or of course their parent's money). Looking at it 15-20 years later I think that is incredibly cool that someone had that idea, and not only had a staff of pros to write articles, but had kids contributing with their opinions about which toys they felt were a ripoff, and which toys they thought were worth the money, and why.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I had zillions too and it was really cool as a kid

Do they still make it? I have a 11 year old who would prolly enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

om nom nom posted:

Interesting article. I remember loving Zillions when I was younger, what an important magazine to have available for the 8-14 demographic. Consumer reports and education on what ads really are, directed at an age group who is probably the most susceptible to believing the absurd ads directed at them.

They don't teach that poo poo in school and I'm sure it's generally easy to make kids part with what little money they have (or of course their parent's money). Looking at it 15-20 years later I think that is incredibly cool that someone had that idea, and not only had a staff of pros to write articles, but had kids contributing with their opinions about which toys they felt were a ripoff, and which toys they thought were worth the money, and why.

My brother was one of the kids who reviewed for Zillions and by god he took it seriously.