Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Maluco Marinero posted:

What exactly is the disoriented debuff. in my second commander play through (iron man cause I'm a masochist who wants to git gud) things are going fine til the stun lancers come out, and then cover destruction plus shots starts to get less effective as they can take a real beating. I think next time around I may just need to be way more ready to evacuate for that little period in between stun lancers coming in and magnetic weapons, as they just wreck me when they come in right now and it's setting back otherwise good campaigns.

Maybe a flashbang will help with their move range & hit chance, rather than relying heavy on cover destruction.

DISORIENTED_TURNS=2
DISORIENTED_MOBILITY_ADJUST=-6
DISORIENTED_AIM_ADJUST=-25
DISORIENTED_WILL_ADJUST=-30

Plus it disables abilities but I can't find where that flag is in the INI files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
Anyone know how to fix the game being stuck in limbo? It's at the end of my turn after I spent every action point in my squad, I can move my view around the map but that's all I can do. The control options still appear on the top right of the screen but the end turn and swap soldier buttons don't actually do anything.

I tried exiting out and reloading it but that did nothing. I also tried the console commands EndTurn and EndBattle XcomWins but those don't seem to do anything either. It's Ironman so loading a previous save obviously isn't an option.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Something to remember about run and gun in this game versus EU is that you can use grenades or other items at the end of your run and gun as well, not just shoot/overwatch.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Any good advice floating around on how to fill up the ant farm on the Avenger?

With what?

You can hire rookies inside the avenger in a menu somewhere, this took me 50% of the game to find out. You also get them from missions.
Engineers and Scientists you can get from missions or hire them from the black market/resistance HQ.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I got soulfire as the initial ability for my first Psi-op, why did I wait so long to get psionics?

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

LibbyM posted:

Something to remember about run and gun in this game versus EU is that you can use grenades or other items at the end of your run and gun as well, not just shoot/overwatch.

Plus, if you take Implacable, you can generally just Run and Gun right up to the enemy, Rapid fire double tap them in the face for 20+ damage, then retreat back to cover with your extra move after killing a guy.

This is the core of my ranger strategy.. Rapid Fire shots with > 70% to hit.

My preferred ranger setup is Phantom / Shadowstep / Run and Gun / Implacable / Untouchable / Rapid Fire.

We'll see if that holds true on higher difficulties.

Substandard fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 8, 2016

ProZocK
Apr 22, 2013
Here, to make up for dicing you, multiple times, have some nice, calm text.
Im about to start the final mission and I have only seem berserkers one on the avenger defense mission, and i finished that one without activating its pod. What did i miss research wise for not getting the autopsy?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

When you think about it I'm surprised the aliens didn't have the Commander in some ultra high security tower instead of just stashed in the back room of some gene clinic. You've literally been using the mind of a tactical genius who beat back simulations of your original invasion over and over again as a organic super computer to try to better your own tactics for twenty years. Might not want to risk someone like that getting free by stashing him in a glorified broom closet

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 8, 2016

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

How do you even open up a .UPK? I know its with some version of unreal editor, but I don't know which version to use, and the documentation is missing that information.

I just used the XCOM 2 editor that comes with the SDK. Make sure you follow the quickstart PDF to get it to launch.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

ProZocK posted:

Im about to start the final mission and I have only seem berserkers one on the avenger defense mission, and i finished that one without activating its pod. What did i miss research wise for not getting the autopsy?

Single use stimpacks

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Dr. VooDoo posted:

When you think about it I'm surprised the aliens didn't have the Commander in some ultra high security tower instead of just stashed in the back room of some gene clinic. You've literally been using the mind of a tactical genius who beat back simulations of your original invasion over and over again as a organic super computer to try to better your own tactics for twenty years. Might not want to risk someone like that getting free

Haha yeah, and there were like 5 guys defending him. 3 of whom immediately peaced out as soon as they heard sirens.

Definitely a little goofy. I guess they were just that over-confident?

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Substandard posted:

Run 'n' Gun is amazing. I have it on everyone. I haven't even tried conceal though.

Run n' Gun is still the same ability we love, but conceal is interesting for phantom rangers. Normally, you don't want your phantom ranger to get involved in an engagement, but that means you essentially have one less soldier in a firefight. Conceal lets you to use him once in a tough situation and still continue the mission with your concealed ranger. So it's a get out of jail card.

Alternatively you can have conceal on your blademaster and have him work as a semi-scout? I'm not sure to be honest.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

PantsBandit posted:

Haha yeah, and there were like 5 guys defending him. 3 of whom immediately peaced out as soon as they heard sirens.

The real answer is because then there'd be no game, but otherwise let's explain it away by saying they need to move the Commander close to combat zones to properly make use of them, cause otherwise you'd stuff them in a black site under 50 sectopods.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

fspades posted:

Run n' Gun is still the same ability we love, but conceal is interesting for phantom rangers. Normally, you don't want your phantom ranger to get involved in an engagement, but that means you essentially have one less soldier in a firefight. Conceal lets you to use him once in a tough situation and still continue the mission with your concealed ranger. So it's a get out of jail card.

Alternatively you can have conceal on your blademaster and have him work as a semi-scout? I'm not sure to be honest.

Conceal works great on a blade ranger since they don't need rng. It lets you use them for the first engagement then recloak to figure out everything else, its p. great. Or its a huge escape button if you've over-extended them.

Phantom is super lame in comparison.

For blade rangers you should probably grab all the blade perks except RnG and grab conceal.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Had mission to recover something from a truck, I ambush the first patrol with a couple of advent troops. Move up and trigger the rest of the enemies. 6 Sectoids and a Codex. Guess that mission isn't going to happen in 6 turns.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Maluco Marinero posted:

The real answer is because then there'd be no game, but otherwise let's explain it away by saying they need to move the Commander close to combat zones to properly make use of them, cause otherwise you'd stuff them in a black site under 50 sectopods.

Or the aliens figured that there's a million gene clinics around the world and it's better to hide the Commander as a needle in a haystack. If they stuffed her in a Blacksite, well, X-COM knows from the security that Blacksites have goodies inside.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Oh, the blacksite doesn't scale most of the map to your current status.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Is it better to do the first Black Site early on, do you suppose, before you start seeing Mutons and such?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Is there any down side to selling corpses on the black market? Is there something you can use them for at some point?

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PantsBandit posted:

I think ADVENT didn't even know XCOM was still kicking around at that point. Who else would even expect a random clinic downtown was holding the legendary commander of a top-secret organization?

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Dr Snofeld posted:

Is it better to do the first Black Site early on, do you suppose, before you start seeing Mutons and such?

Matters the style of handling the Avatar Project you are going for. If you want to keep it constantly low then pop it early, likely before moving to T2 weapons/armor even. If you are going to ride the timer then leave it as a easy reset for late game.

Same goes for the rest of the sites too. You want to be popping them right away or letting them slow burn, mixing the styles does not seem to work well.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Have a working version of the No Avatar Project mod!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=618935868

Requires a new game, as I had to extend an XComGameState unrealclass, which are serialized into gamesaves. That is to say there's no way to update it on an existing savegame.

I mean you can use it on an existing save, but it will only eliminate the doom meter gain from dark events.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
So I just finished my first blacksite mission with literally two days left on plated armor research.

Oops.

Is there some trick to poison/burning I'm not getting that doesn't just make them a death sentence if you're out of medkits? Losing my ranger from full health to that poo poo in the last turns of the blacksite seems like some pretty terrible design.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Does the to-hit chance of blades ever hit 100% or higher? Does it interact with dodge

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Does the to-hit chance of blades ever hit 100% or higher? Does it interact with dodge

It's based on your soldier's aim, so pump those aim PCS's and use tracer rounds (which hilariously do work on swords.)

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Casted rift on an advent pod, got the insanity proc on all three, mind controlled them all.

Psy ops are very good

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
XCOM 2 is the Dark Souls of strategy games. The punishment. The masochism. The glory of RNGesus.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Gravely wounded seems to get applied really easily. My Ranger took 1 damage from fire and is now out for 20 days.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Zore posted:

Conceal works great on a blade ranger since they don't need rng. It lets you use them for the first engagement then recloak to figure out everything else, its p. great. Or its a huge escape button if you've over-extended them.

Phantom is super lame in comparison.

For blade rangers you should probably grab all the blade perks except RnG and grab conceal.

Well, the problem is you need a phantom ranger scout during the early game. Blade rangers can't fulfill that role until Lieutenant.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I made a sword ranger, but the raw damage output seems to be considerably less than rapid fire shotguns. or even shotguns without rapid fire. This seems insane since it's seemingly riskier as well.

I think I'm doing something wrong. Is there a good way to force a bunch of bladestorm procs or something?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ok I kind of love that the little hologram displays have mugshots of your squaddies in them.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 20 minutes!

Substandard posted:

Plus, if you take Implacable, you can generally just Run and Gun right up to the enemy, Rapid fire double tap them in the face for 20+ damage, then retreat back to cover with your extra move after killing a guy.

This is the core of my ranger strategy.. Rapid Fire shots with > 70% to hit.

My preferred ranger setup is Phantom / Shadowstep / Run and Gun / Implacable / Untouchable / Rapid Fire.

We'll see if that holds true on higher difficulties.
This is the setup for my two star soldiers right now. I'm trying to level up another and respec them to a sword build which I suspect will be a slightly better scout, less reliable, but also more able to pull off more bullshit. And since the higher difficulties really reward reliability, I think the build you have will be the best buds for hard modes.

E: wraith armor is some serious bullshit. Wow. :stare:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I only JUST realized something...

Is the G-Man in Half-Life... a Thin Man?! :stare:

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Toadsmash posted:

So I just finished my first blacksite mission with literally two days left on plated armor research.

Oops.

Is there some trick to poison/burning I'm not getting that doesn't just make them a death sentence if you're out of medkits? Losing my ranger from full health to that poo poo in the last turns of the blacksite seems like some pretty terrible design.

Evac them if the mission allows it. It'll save the soldier.

edit: Oh you are talking about the blacksite. Well, he's hosed then. :downs:

edit edit: Also, I've read getting a soldier into shallow water will put out burning. Haven't tested it though.

fspades fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 8, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Substandard posted:

I made a sword ranger, but the raw damage output seems to be considerably less than rapid fire shotguns. or even shotguns without rapid fire. This seems insane since it's seemingly riskier as well.

I think I'm doing something wrong. Is there a good way to force a bunch of bladestorm procs or something?

I think the benefit of swords is you can use them from dashing, so you can metal gear rising your way through dudes, also you don't need to reload a sword, and they hit more reliably.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

fspades posted:

Well, the problem is you need a phantom ranger scout during the early game. Blade rangers can't fulfill that role until Lieutenant.

I have yet to used a Phantom Ranger at all. Why do you need them?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Dongattack posted:

With what?

You can hire rookies inside the avenger in a menu somewhere, this took me 50% of the game to find out. You also get them from missions.
Engineers and Scientists you can get from missions or hire them from the black market/resistance HQ.

wondering more about the room layout

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

LordNat posted:

You can use them as spotters. Pods revealed by concealed characters don't immediately engage.
Pretty useful, but not invaluable imo.
I also don't like being down a man.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 20 minutes!

LordNat posted:

They make retaliation missions so much more manageable. The difference is night and day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Dr Snofeld posted:

Do it ASAP, putting it off to "prepare" is what crippled my first three campaigns. If you do it the second it becomes available you can pretty much run it with 5 rookies.