Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Null Integer posted:

Can anyone give a decent run down of the housing around Ft. Meade that isn't govt. housing?

Depends on what you want. Cheap? Safe? Good schools? Nightlife?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Depends on what you want. Cheap? Safe? Good schools? Nightlife?

Safe, we don't have any kids or go out much at all. I'm just tired of base housing, E6 with dependant.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Anyone here mobilize to Afghanistan? Found out this week I'll be heading there in August for 7 months.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Null Integer posted:

Safe, we don't have any kids or go out much at all. I'm just tired of base housing, E6 with dependant.

Howard county has great schools. Anne Arundel too as long as you stay away from Odenton, Severn, Glen Burnie.

Don't go to Laurel or PG County.

Commute length is a big deal too. Try to live where you don't have to take the BW parkway for too long as it tends to be the most hosed. You can live in crofton with a non-highway commute with good schools.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Nick Soapdish posted:

Anyone here mobilize to Afghanistan? Found out this week I'll be heading there in August for 7 months.

Sucks to suck brah.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Why is the navy still sending people to Afghanistan?

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Howard county has great schools. Anne Arundel too as long as you stay away from Odenton, Severn, Glen Burnie.

Don't go to Laurel or PG County.

Commute length is a big deal too. Try to live where you don't have to take the BW parkway for too long as it tends to be the most hosed. You can live in crofton with a non-highway commute with good schools.

There are nice parts of Laurel (i.e. in Anne Arundel/Howard county). There are also pretty lovely parts, though. Odenton also has some nice areas.

Columbia is very nice, but expensive.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Help, my college buddy (he got his bachelor's 5 or 6 years ago) just posted this. I went ROTC -> Army and did 6 years of active duty.

It's universally sound advice to discourage Army enlistment for anyone with a bachelor's.

I hear the Navy is slightly more rewarding of intelligence.

Other info:
-Bad grades (2.01 GPA)
-Officer recruiter told him to
-Plan is "serve 2 or 3 years enlisted then apply for OCS" (yeah, I know)

me posted:

Did you get your Bachelors?

friend posted:

Yes, but grades were really bad. My eagle scout qualifies me for e-3 though, so I'm good

I assume it's still my obligation to talk this guy out of enlisting, right?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Yes, and the guy that told him to do 2-3 years AD then apply is a complete rear end in a top hat. It's REALLY competitive, assuming he even has time and opportunity to do the things he'll need to do to have a shot. And whether he gets time/opportunity is completely up to his superiors who, at least initially, will not give a gently caress what he wants out of this career.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Zeris posted:

Help, my college buddy (he got his bachelor's 5 or 6 years ago) just posted this. I went ROTC -> Army and did 6 years of active duty.

It's universally sound advice to discourage Army enlistment for anyone with a bachelor's.

I hear the Navy is slightly more rewarding of intelligence.

Other info:
-Bad grades (2.01 GPA)
-Officer recruiter told him to
-Plan is "serve 2 or 3 years enlisted then apply for OCS" (yeah, I know)

lol all the way down. I hope he likes chipping paint.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Thanks for the info so far. He's a good dude (which obviously nobody will care about) but an academic fuckup as seen above.

He thinks he wants to enlist CTT or IS and "join his cousin, who is a SEAL, in NSW support roles"

lol gently caress, this guy may be beyond saving.

Anyway, whatever happened to that thread with the 11,000 reasons you shouldn't enlist with a degree?

And is there any option when the OCS recruiter says "your lovely GPA is un-waiverable" ?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Yeah go start a civilian career. If he's too jacked up for that then he will fit right in enlisting regardless of degree

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I didn't notice the GPA. There's not an overall minimum, but several specific career fields have their own minimum (probably 2.5).

Enlisting specifically to commission at a later date is a terrible idea. It's a gamble where the odds are heavily stacked against him (and he'll still have that GPA) and he's going to lose several years, a lot of freedoms. But even if he wins, that just gives him a better paycheck while he continues those loses for several more years.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
There's nothing that will talk him out of it so just let him do it and eat some popcorn. Also give us updates.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Zeris posted:

He thinks he wants to enlist CTT or IS and "join his cousin, who is a SEAL, in NSW support roles"

No thanks, we're fine with manning right now. Perhaps AO is more his speed.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I love the "just gonna enlist with my degree then go officer!" Peeps

5 years later they have three kids and a miserable wife and have no choice but to stay in and are the reason we hate the Mil because they keep us at work late so they don't have to deal with said fam

I saw it happen once I think but she was: e-6, female, filip, and nearly ran the local mafia

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 8, 2016

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Zeris posted:

And is there any option when the OCS recruiter says "your lovely GPA is un-waiverable" ?

Yeah, tell him to wait until the next president gets us wrapped up in 2+ wars and the Navy is expanding again.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
honestly, you should let him enlist. His eagle scout qualifies him for E-3, so he's good.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

There's an AWR3 i work with who enlisted, with a masters in electrical engineering, he was also a BUDS Dud too. I asked him why he didn't go officer from the start, or get a non poo poo civilian job, and he didn't have an answer for me.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I know a dude with a masters in electrical engineering eating food from dumpsters and waiting tables so

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I know a dude with a masters in electrical engineering eating food from dumpsters and waiting tables so

People with masters degrees can be exceedingly dumb?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
i have been told my entire life that a college degree makes you a winner

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

There's an AWR3 i work with who enlisted, with a masters in electrical engineering, he was also a BUDS Dud too. I asked him why he didn't go officer from the start, or get a non poo poo civilian job, and he didn't have an answer for me.

BUDS dud aircrew trainees were like my least favorite people on the planet when I was at A-school. How often does he talk about his time in BUDS?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MancXVI posted:

BUDS dud aircrew trainees were like my least favorite people on the planet when I was at A-school. How often does he talk about his time in BUDS?

He talks a little bit about it, won't tell why he dropped from BUDS, maybe because he stopped kidding himself that he totally had BUDS beat except for that one dumb thing, but I guess he found his calling in life anyways because he practically pops a chub talking about guns, shooting guns, and jumping out of helicopters. Then again, shooting the M2 when I was on the Enterprise made me get a boner too.

He's already got a fat wife with a baby on the way, so he's likely going to be a lifer.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Zeris posted:

Yeah. At the very least, he can submit an officer package while simultaneously doing the enlisting process. 2.01 is bad, but the acceptance rate for aviation is VERY high right now. As in, no, really, it was 97 loving percent not too long ago. Unless no less than two separate recruiters at two separate recruiting stations tell him that 2.01 cannot even be submitted to the board, he should do that. THAT SAID: aviation has the lowest quality requirements right now because they screen in different ways. People are not medically screened for aviation in any meaningful way before shipping to OCS, and often find that they aren't qualified for dumb, easily found reasons. If that happens, your buddy may not be afforded the opportunity to commission into another community.

If he must enlist, CT/IT/IS will give decent quality of life but it's unrealistic to expect to be able to drop an OCS package before your first enlistment is up.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What is going on in here?
IM ENLISTED WITH A DEGREE AND I LOVE IT. DO IT. THEY GIVE YOU FREE STUFF AT BOOT CAMP. YOU LIKE FREE STUFF RIGHT?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I sold my mint dental floss for $5 because some idiot had a hankering for "gum".

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
He can apply to OCS...but frankly, no officer community in the Navy is going to take someone with a 2.0 undergrad GPA...not even SWO.

Unless that's a 2.0 in quantum computing from MIT or some poo poo...

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Give it about 18 months, President Clinton or President Trump will have us balls deep in Syria within six months of whichever one wins the election and we'll be ramping back up again, accepting everyone who can breathe and doesn't have too many violent felonies.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

buttplug posted:

Unless that's a 2.0 in quantum computing from MIT or some poo poo...

Usna will commission a 2.0. All they can tell him is no. Apply for that poo poo.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Ron Jeremy posted:

Usna will commission a 2.0. All they can tell him is no. Apply for that poo poo.

At an academy you're not competing for a commission...you did that to get into the academy in the first place. OCS is a situation where they start at the top and work down, and GPA is just about the easiest way to rack and stack people once you get past their criminal records. Go ahead and try to apply. I doubt a recruiter is going to put the time and effort into the application package, though.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
Navy is gay.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Null Integer posted:

Navy is gay.

And water is wet and the sky is blue?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Null Integer posted:

Navy is gay.

best thing about it

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Stultus Maximus posted:

best thing about it

Some day I'll find my sea-daddy.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-35553150

Pretty spot on casting for body types of your new Sailor prototype.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Dingleberry posted:

Put some trigger warnings on the hands in the pockets.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I can't even be offended by this since I'm too entertained by the people getting offended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Dingleberry posted:

I don't know the rates and ratings of those captured but its like 50 / 50 those Iranians would do better on the pft so its commendable that they're taking responsibility.

• Locked thread