Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Does anyone know how pin feathers behave after they've been neglected for awhile? I've been taking care of Kiwi since she's been ok with me touching her, but there is this weird layer on the top of her head that she isn't super comfortable with. Is that normal? Should I try and slowly take care of it next time I have her in the shower?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but if you've ever wondered what your cockatoo is REALLY yelling, someone has translated!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUNECHCKWBc

'I can't work, I got four bed rats' sounds like a completely plausible sick-day excuse to me.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
We had Mindo outside in his travel/sun cage while we cleaned his main cage. He gets super traumatized if he actually witnesses the cleaning, but if we stuff him in there he is generally chill except when we're walking him around in it. The autofocus wasn't triggering (aka I don't remember how) on my DSLR so the first video is very bad.

Have a melty bird:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LBF8n-y-og
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4Fp2qr4JfQ

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

nielsm posted:

drat, Pion is a bully.

Watch the movie Step Brothers and remember your tiels are Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly. In a few weeks they're gonna wanna practice karate in the garage.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Idk if its on purpose but the wild cockatoos have taken to dropping pine cones from our neighbours tree on me and the dogs heads.

The flocks decreased to around 10 from 30ish, and theres been lots of snakes in the street. Hopefully nothing happened :(

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010
So Oliver has me worried this morning, he's been sleepy all day fluffed up and shivering. He's not eaten anything but treats I've bribed him with, but he's pooping normally. I've made a tentative vet appointment with a non-avian vet, and put him in a spot in the house which gets sun, if he hasn't improved by the afternoon I know what I'm doing with my afternoon!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Idk if its on purpose but the wild cockatoos have taken to dropping pine cones from our neighbours tree on me and the dogs heads.
Of course it's on purpose these are cockatoos

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

yeah

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

The flocks decreased to around 10 from 30ish, and theres been lots of snakes in the street. Hopefully nothing happened :(

dreggon warned you!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

GoldStandardConure posted:

dreggon warned you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q8hAb230OE

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
how do i appease the fighty whiteys??

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Sunnies and regular blood sacrifice (from your fingats)

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

APPEASEMENT ONLY BUYS YOU TIME

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I have offered them sunnies before and they stare at them contemptuously. Its not enough. The fingats must go.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I have offered them sunnies before and they stare at them contemptuously. Its not enough. The fingats must go.

Season the sunflower seeds with some of your blood first.

Aug 24, 2011

gaston's friend is a good bird who eats her oats so maybe try some of those

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I will make an offering of bread and seed tomorrow cause I don't have oats and see if they take it. I'll wear a helmet

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Dreggon posted:

gaston's friend is a good bird who eats her oats so maybe try some of those

My chickins fucken love oats. My mum and I gave them our stock of oats when it turned out we are both allergic to them and they gobbled them all up with a fervour usually only reserved for snails and mushrooms (which are their favourite of all foods).

Aug 24, 2011

I will make an offering of bread and seed tomorrow cause I don't have oats and see if they take it. I'll wear a helmet

if the flock is large each individual bird will be braver so you can hand feed them. i use a cup sometimes so they dont eat my fingers

remember if you are not looking at a bird it will move closer and eventually bite you if you are not paying attention

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I like how even in the wild cockatoos are entitled as gently caress. Guess they never got the memo on being prey animals

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Today, Putni suddenly started parroting much of Pion's sound repertoire. I heard something sounding like Pion, but when I looked over, Pion had the beak buried in seeds, and Putni didn't. And that's after just slightly more than 2 weeks. I recorded some Putni sounds too.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I moved the cages so I could hoover under them so they are together long side to long side and peace now reigns. Drama used to sing lovely songs and mimic the radio for me, but Loki's screaming at gently caress all all the time put him off the idea. Loki has decided she likes being able to see the red rumps now and has shut the gently caress up, Drama has started singing again and Loki is sitting there staring at him like she's at a concert. \o/

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."
https://www.facebook.com/phyllis.krugman/videos/10206793710655189/

taking potato salad to the next level

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I got a new stock for my Japanese Type 99 Arisaka rifle, and Pazuzu decided that it was his new perch when I was trying to take pictures of it.

Wrecking Ball
Jul 16, 2011

jadebullet posted:

So I got a new stock for my Japanese Type 99 Arisaka rifle, and Pazuzu decided that it was his new perch when I was trying to take pictures of it.

This is good. :allears:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

jadebullet posted:

*squawk* it's a clip not a magazine *whistle* an armed society is a polite society

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

*squawk* it's a clip not a magazine *whistle* an armed society is a polite society

*whistle* Up two degrees and a little to the left *KEKEKEKESCREECH* Target down!

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I heard some horrifying sounds come from the tiels' cage a few minutes ago and expected to find something equally horrible. It was just Archer happily rubbing one out on the pellet dish. Sorry to ruin your moment there buddy...

jadebullet posted:

How's his trigger discipline?

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k

jadebullet posted:

YES

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

I heard some horrifying sounds come from the tiels' cage a few minutes ago and expected to find something equally horrible. It was just Archer happily rubbing one out on the pellet dish. Sorry to ruin your moment there buddy...

How's his trigger discipline?

It's good, but he does weird me out when he just sits there, quietly staring so maybe it isn't a good sign that not only is he the only bird not scared of the gun, but also is extremely enthusiastic about using it as a perch. Here is hoping his first words aren't "book repository."

Seriously, out of all of our birds, it is the quiet one that decides that the gun is his new favorite perch.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

jadebullet posted:

The spirit of Boo is with Pazuzu

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

jadebullet posted:

My husband loves this pic of Pazuzu...he says "PLEASE say he is going to be saying Boom! Headshot!" If so please record for his amusement :P

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The cockies didn't come today

I'm scared.

Aug 24, 2011

The cockies didn't come today

I'm scared.

thats how it starts, you get one bird show up and its like wow a cockatoo then the next day theres none and then the next day there's 20

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

To all non-Nymphicus owning people: petting one is like petting a cloud

I assume this applies to all Cacatuidae, and thus is worth the loss of any fingats

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Cloudness confirmed, tested with face, nose mysteriously still intact

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Battle Pigeon posted:

To all non-Nymphicus owning people: petting one is like petting a cloud

I assume this applies to all Cacatuidae, and thus is worth the loss of any fingats
Truth. Cuddling a juvenile umbrella cockatoo was basically one of the best moments of my life and I understood why people get suckered in and are then all "WHAT THE poo poo HAPPENED" when they turn into an adult cockatoo :saddowns:

Eejit posted:

Eeeeeeeh :kimchi: Lookitdatbirbcloud

EDIT: Wait hold on, are other parrots not as soft as cockatiels? Because dang, Judah is so nice to rub my face against. Except right now because he's still a pinfeathery mess who is now also cranky as poo poo.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

Eejit posted:

want to smash my face into that fluff so bad!! always so cute :love:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I got a net, and some warning stickers for the biggest window in the room today, so I'm hoping to let Putni get some proper flight time soon.