Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS
Am I the only person who just buys whatever's cheapest/on sale?

And before you can say it: LOL if you don't have Enrique clip the coupons for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Somfin posted:

Hold on hold on, I know the institute you're talking about-

The Puppetmaster Institute of Social Experiments, right? I know their motto by heart: "We meant to do that, and you all fell for it."

Seriously dude, stop pretending that advertisers know what the gently caress they're doing. This is the age of the internet. Advertising is a terrified and limping profession that refuses to understand that people don't do things the old way anymore. I know that you've watched Mad Men and can probably recite a bunch of Don Draper speeches by heart but that doesn't make you an expert.

like i said, two-headed ourobourous of smug self-satisfaction because this post is so pleased with itself it's treating itself to some Ben and Jerry's

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Karma Monkey posted:

Am I the only person who just buys whatever's cheapest/on sale?

And before you can say it: LOL if you don't have Enrique clip the coupons for you.
I thought the entire point of the Enrique-haver social status is that they arbitrarily buy the most expensive thing because it is obviously better.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All I know for sure is, in Culinary school I had to learn how to make gold leaf so that it's both appealing and edible, because some people are so loving enamored with themselves that they have to EAT gold for their jollies.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Turtlicious posted:

All I know for sure is, in Culinary school I had to learn how to make gold leaf so that it's both appealing and edible, because some people are so loving enamored with themselves that they have to EAT gold for their jollies.

I made a cake with gold leaf on it once. It was to match my grandma's china pattern.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Strudel Man posted:

This would be more credible if it were supported with evidence.
http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/news/2015/when-it-comes-to-long-term-ad-effectiveness-know-your-numbers.html
http://psycnet.apa.org/?&fa=main.doiLanding&doi=10.1037/0021-9010.79.6.866
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022103105001496

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Alaois posted:

like i said, two-headed ourobourous of smug self-satisfaction because this post is so pleased with itself it's treating itself to some Ben and Jerry's

Stop manipulating my preferences with your last minute references to brands, fifteen years from now it'll secretly adjust my preference for frozen treats and then I'll look like a real chump

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

zedprime posted:

I thought the entire point of the Enrique-haver social status is that they arbitrarily buy the most expensive thing because it is obviously better.

Look, I don't need the coupons, I just get a kick out of watching Enrique clip them. Don't kinkshame, pls!

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I hate puppymonkeybaby as much as anyone, but if you think high school and college kids (the target demographic for a Mountain Dew energy drink) aren't going to be shouting it at each other for at least the next few weeks you're out of touch with reality.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Between the awful mutant and the absolutely disgusting ad Doritos put out I don't know who or what they're attempting to market to.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
I don't know why but I really want some pain meds now.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Remember when you were kids and Nickelodeon basically made bank on the fact that they used gross out humor that adults were too square to get?

We're the adults now.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R_483zeVF8

I am so sick of the "overprotective dad micromanaging his daughter's relationships" trope. I mean Kevin Hart does as best as he can with the material but it seems very dated.

GWBBQ posted:

I hate puppymonkeybaby as much as anyone, but if you think high school and college kids (the target demographic for a Mountain Dew energy drink) aren't going to be shouting it at each other for at least the next few weeks you're out of touch with reality.

Everyone I've seen posting about it has hated it except for moms. It's probably gonna be like that camel who yells about hump day - everyone who works in an office is going to be sick of hearing it in six months.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Colonial Williamsburg made a bad Super Bowl ad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbdHv28tWJs

Uses footage of 9/11? Check. Doesn't actually show anything about their product? Check.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Somfin posted:

Hold on hold on, I know the institute you're talking about-

The Puppetmaster Institute of Social Experiments, right? I know their motto by heart: "We meant to do that, and you all fell for it."

Seriously dude, stop pretending that advertisers know what the gently caress they're doing. This is the age of the internet. Advertising is a terrified and limping profession that refuses to understand that people don't do things the old way anymore. I know that you've watched Mad Men and can probably recite a bunch of Don Draper speeches by heart but that doesn't make you an expert.

To be sure, a good portion of the advertising industry is pointless bullshit trying to justify its own existence, but in the end people still do need to get consumers aware of their products.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Holy poo poo.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

joshtothemaxx posted:

Colonial Williamsburg made a bad Super Bowl ad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbdHv28tWJs

Uses footage of 9/11? Check. Doesn't actually show anything about their product? Check.

To be fair, it's a museum, apparently. I was prepared to laugh pretty hard if Colonial Williamsburg was a hot sauce brand or something claiming credit for all of America's successes. Kind of disappointing that it's more or less appropriate. Still a dumb move in marketing though, for the lack of info and using 9/11, which is just asking to be mauled.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I am torn between being glad something like Colonial Williamsburg has made it as a thing that can buy a Superbowl ad, but the last time I visited it was also kind of the Rich White People of Virginia museum so trying to say the ideals of America started here is kind of disingenuous. Or maybe just more accurate than I'd like to admit.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Colonial Williamsburg is like one of those "historical artifact" towns right? Where the whole place is basically a museum and there's a bunch of period-costumed people walking around?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

zedprime posted:

I am torn between being glad something like Colonial Williamsburg has made it as a thing that can buy a Superbowl ad, but the last time I visited it was also kind of the Rich White People of Virginia museum so trying to say the ideals of America started here is kind of disingenuous. Or maybe just more accurate than I'd like to admit.

It hasn't made it though. They just had a round of layoffs with supposedly more coming. I'm pretty jazzed that a museum can get that type of attention, but I'm not too keen on a place spending that kind of fliff right after firing a bunch of people.

Alaois posted:

Colonial Williamsburg is like one of those "historical artifact" towns right? Where the whole place is basically a museum and there's a bunch of period-costumed people walking around?

Yes. White bread and full of schoolchildren. They did a mock slave auction once back in 1994.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The absolute worst Super Bowl marketing thing is when people who can't actually afford a Super Bowl ad and have no chance in hell of getting the ad spot try and spin their rejected ad as "BANNED SUPER BOWL AD THEY DON'T WANT YOU TO SEE!!!" on the internet.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Sentient Data posted:

On the same general topic, don't forget that even basic subscription-based tools can also be bought out. Lastpass was sold a little while ago, and the downtime that happened recently pushed me over the edge - multiple hours of downtime at their datacenter, and not a single peep from them until after it was fixed.

I was a premium subscriber for years, but just flat out gently caress you. I was already reeeeeally iffy about continuing to trust the tool, but combine that with no communication on something so mission critical being down? I spent the past day organizing keepass and deleted my lp account

I've been using last pass for years. What other concerns do you have about them? I didn't know about the buyout, so clearly I'm not as well informed.
What good secure alternatives are there?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

joshtothemaxx posted:

It hasn't made it though. They just had a round of layoffs with supposedly more coming. I'm pretty jazzed that a museum can get that type of attention, but I'm not too keen on a place spending that kind of fliff right after firing a bunch of people.

Yes. White bread and full of schoolchildren. They did a mock slave auction once back in 1994.

Eric Andre knows what's up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4veQgeodJg

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Super Creampies.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Sleeveless posted:

The absolute worst Super Bowl marketing thing is when people who can't actually afford a Super Bowl ad and have no chance in hell of getting the ad spot try and spin their rejected ad as "BANNED SUPER BOWL AD THEY DON'T WANT YOU TO SEE!!!" on the internet.

Even dumber are companies that sell things prohibited from being advertised by the NFL ad code (read: guns) that do the SUPER BOWL BANNED OUR COMMERCIAL BECAUSE THEY HATE GUNS AND MURICA schtick, it's so disingenuous.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Eric Andre is the loving best and anybody who isn't watching The Eric Andre Show is missing out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEz3c6ItG9Y

Decrepus posted:

Super Creampies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6L8P2MEZWw

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Is it common for people in America to watch Super Bowl just for the ads? A friend told me she was doing that, and it baffled me.

I'm not American, but I know crazy amounts of money are spent on Ada for that match.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Non Serviam posted:

Is it common for people in America to watch Super Bowl just for the ads? A friend told me she was doing that, and it baffled me.

"I just watch it for the ads" is a common phrase, usually used by people to display how much they don't like football.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's better to just wait for the Buzzfeed listicle the next day linking to the best ads

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

I watched 1/5 for football (since the Steelers aren't in) and 4/5 for the ads, so, yeah

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol if you don’t have Enrique watch the ads for you

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
Just stopped by to mention I don't watch the super bowl for the ads or the game. I just watched it at a brewery but all I wanted was a beer. Anyway, this place's calendar shows that they also will play the democratic debates on the big projector too. Now that would be fun to watch drunk at a bar!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

joshtothemaxx posted:

two-eight-one, three-three-oh, eight-zero-zero-fo', that's the number you can hit me on, when you call, ask for MIKE JONES.

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/8/19/4636860/mike-jones-phone-number-281-330-8004-mike-jawwwwwwwwwwns

Mike Jones is a master marketer.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Man, godaddy must be in financial trouble, they didn't have a single commercial tonight :ohdear:

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

What comic is your avatar from? I have a vague memory of it but I can't find it and it's driving me crazy.

[edit: Nevermind, it's Sinfest.]

open24hours has a new favorite as of 08:56 on Feb 8, 2016

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
So how can that Colonial Williamsburg ad show Obama (or Reagan)? Did they ask for permission and pay for that? Does the money go to him personally or to the treasury?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Doctor Malaver posted:

So how can that Colonial Williamsburg ad show Obama (or Reagan)? Did they ask for permission and pay for that? Does the money go to him personally or to the treasury?

Government footage is often public domain. Also it's a museum so they know how to find archival footage they don't have to pay for.

What gets me about the 9/11 footage in that ad is that it's so out of place. The narrator speaking over it awkwardly performs a poorly written line and it doesn't mesh with anything else that the ad is going for. CW has been trying to get better about showing that black people existed and maybe didn't have it great, especially in the last 20 years (though the plantation they had to educate on slavery got shut down because it was bleeding money) but like 75% of the visitors are old white people or school kids so that colours what they show. (the other 25% are kids from the college down the street who are cutting across it to get somewhere)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Non Serviam posted:

I've been using last pass for years. What other concerns do you have about them? I didn't know about the buyout, so clearly I'm not as well informed.
What good secure alternatives are there?

Lastpass was bought out by LogMeIn in October 2015.

LogMeIn has a... spotty reputation among IT professionals, for constantly moving around licensing tiers, shutting down their free service despite reassurances that it would stay available, their service's widespread use among scammers and steep pricing, among other things.

Trusting your passwords to a company with a spotty reputation is a bad idea, for obvious reasons.

Personally, the unease about the takeover and other general annoyance over how their app functions on Android has made me dump them and just go with the built-in password vault in Chrome. I know it's technically less secure, but I'm not in the habit of letting other people use my account unsupervised, anyway.

For more advanced alternatives, you have 1Password, which is a cloud solution like LastPass. If you don't mind tinkering, KeePass is free and multiplatform, but requires a bit of setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Cross-posting from Corporate Complaining thread...

We've been using webex at work for a long time but if we were looking for such software today I believe this ad would have a negative effect.