Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RBA Starblade posted:

Please game give me a ranger, I don't need more lovely snipers and Kelly's still on break from being shot in the tutorial.

You can train Rookies directly into specific classes in the Guerilla Tactics School :ssh:. Two at a time, even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

RBA Starblade posted:

I get the impression that despite being Shen's life's work, the Avenger is mostly a piece of poo poo that XCOM really hosed up that is only barely working.

More or less. Admittedly, it's like some carpenter from the sail age getting a WWI steamship up and running despite never seeing steam before, so the feat's still pretty damned impressive. But the Avenger is likely a giant POS compared to the alien ships. They don't even know how much of it works, and much of the interior is still full of random rubble and garbage.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I would like a mod that shuts Bradford the gently caress up during terror missions. Yes, I know that someone just died on the other side of the map where it was completely impossible to prevent. Oh, what's that? It happened again the next turn? What a goddamn surprise.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Welp, got 2 days before the the avatar project completes. Gotta do the blacksite mission or lose everything, so its time for Operation Severed Prophecy. I'm not sure if that name is always set but its pretty appropriate.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Strobe posted:

Combat Protocol stays viable until late game because it ignores armor, is a guaranteed hit, and can do 8 damage to mechanical enemies with just the tier 2 Gremlin. Is there a tier three? I imagine that would do 12 damage to mechanical targets, which is a shitload for something that literally can't miss and you don't have to expose yourself to do.

Yes, you get the Tier 3 Gremlin from Sectopod Wreck research.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Strobe posted:

Combat Protocol stays viable until late game because it ignores armor, is a guaranteed hit, and can do 8 damage to mechanical enemies with just the tier 2 Gremlin. Is there a tier three? I imagine that would do 12 damage to mechanical targets, which is a shitload for something that literally can't miss and you don't have to expose yourself to do.
oh poo poo, I forgot about the mechanical bonus. Thanks, I regret nothing now. That's going to be great for popping turrets. And if there is a t3 Gremlin, I'd love to know where to get it. And t3 grenade launchers.

E: ^^^ thanks! Tech is weird. I'm almost to all plasma gear and power armor and I haven't seen anything bigger than an archon.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alkydere posted:

More or less. Admittedly, it's like some carpenter from the sail age getting a WWI steamship up and running despite never seeing steam before, so the feat's still pretty damned impressive. But the Avenger is likely a giant POS compared to the alien ships. They don't even know how much of it works, and much of the interior is still full of random rubble and garbage.

Agreed, but that's the start of the game and it's XCOM. By the mid/endgame you know how their tech works and how to use it freely so continuing to fly around without upgrading the ship itself seems kinda dumb.

Serious Frolicking posted:

I would like a mod that shuts Bradford the gently caress up during terror missions. Yes, I know that someone just died on the other side of the map where it was completely impossible to prevent. Oh, what's that? It happened again the next turn? What a goddamn surprise.

Bradford, two dead civilians is not a massacre, it's acceptable losses. Stop bitching.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

But combat protocol's value drops once you start getting more and multiple cover-removal skills and your aim improves.
Combat protocol is loving awesome because it is guaranteed damage from an enormous distance. I finished off the final boss with it. When you have the Gremlin mk 3 it does 6 damage ignoring armor.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Serious Frolicking posted:

Oh god this. Yes Bradford, this is a massacre, can I move my soldiers yet to stop our supporters from being killed? Yes Bradford, I know that's the objective, I've been following the little star on my map the entire mission now. Yes Bradford, I know the timer's counting down. Yes Bradford, now shot up, let me work AND STOP STEALING THE CAMERA FROM ME! Get your own damned workstation Bradford.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Human-built Fighter jets could kill a basic UFO, why the gently caress can't you mount plasma turrets (or any turrets) to the hull of the Avenger and shoot them down instead?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Again; Fighter Jet-sized craft could carry the ordinance to sink battleships by endgame in XCOM.

nope, that never happened. the only UFOs that human built fighter jets ever managed to shoot down were a couple of pathetic lumbering supply dropships. you know, like the Avenger.

the real attack UFOs wiped out the human fighter jets worse than the opening scene of independence day.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Buddying a combat hacker up with a heavy with bluescreen rounds and EMP grenades is pretty fun. EMP weapons also reduce enemy hack defense so all the top-tier robots can be pretty much handled with impunity from a distance

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
We need a mod to replace Bradford with the player's mother.

God dammit, I know people are dying mum! I'M WORKING ON IT OKAY.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I just had the coolest 'Neutralize VIP' mission. The VIP was inside a building and the extraction point was on the roof. I snuck up all the way to the back of the building and wraith suited my way through the wall, punched the guy out, then the next turn grappled to the roof and extracted. Didn't shoot once.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I reallllllllllllllllllllllllllly do not like the very end of the game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alkydere posted:

Oh god this. Yes Bradford, this is a massacre, can I move my soldiers yet to stop our supporters from being killed? Yes Bradford, I know that's the objective, I've been following the little star on my map the entire mission now. Yes Bradford, I know the timer's counting down. Yes Bradford, now shot up, let me work AND STOP STEALING THE CAMERA FROM ME! Get your own damned workstation Bradford.

Bradford, yes, Bradford I'm not calling you "Central" because that's a dumb nickname and it was your job title TWENTY YEARS AGO. Sit down in the corner and shut the hell up.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

The most popular XCOM 2 mod ever just got a big ol' update that makes it actually work and certified 10 times more stupid.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=616324092

As a side note, modding XCOM 2 beyond ini files is HARD.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So is Avenger management mostly sandwiching workshops between floors for the gremlin bonuses?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can train Rookies directly into specific classes in the Guerilla Tactics School :ssh:. Two at a time, even.

Yes I finally just got one, now I have two rangers, and one doesn't have PTSD! A great day for XCOM. :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

JonTerp posted:

The most popular XCOM 2 mod ever just got a big ol' update that makes it actually work and certified 10 times more stupid.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=616324092

As a side note, modding XCOM 2 beyond ini files is HARD.

That's clearly a Daschund crossbreed :colbert:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If you set a character to a certain class in the character list, can he only show up as that class? So, for example if I set a character to Psi Operative, it's basically impossible for him to show up at any point?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Can't wait for the dog companion mod

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

So is Avenger management mostly sandwiching workshops between floors for the gremlin bonuses?

Yes I finally just got one, now I have two rangers, and one doesn't have PTSD! A great day for XCOM. :v:

I think you only get one Workshop, so you only need to make sure there's buildings with at least four engineering slots adjacent to it. A power-core and com-center will both do just fine.

Though there's also power management, if you stick a power building on a power conduit you do get a bonus, so steam vents still stick with us in a way.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Well after losing the bloody tutorial, I've done much, much better. Had a few losses, but that's to be expected. The last retaliation mission I had to face down introduced berserkers, but the hardest part was actually the three vipers at the end who no one in the party could hit, and when they did, it was a graze. I think half my turns were spent just trying to hit them :argh:

Oh, and I took a Goonpool rookie named "Peas" on his very first mission, and he was the only person to get shot--got hit in full cover by a disoriented trooper from some distance away. He decided on his way to med bay he wanted to be a ranger, and I finally got to take him out for a spin just a few minutes ago. He rules-of-natured half a map and did the most damage out of a entire team of lieutenants and sergeants, despite only being a squaddie. I'm so proud of him I'm taking him to the Blacksite.

5 of those six kills were just that one mission; took out two sectoids, a MEC and a muton. Underdog MVP.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Broken Cog posted:

If you set a character to a certain class in the character list, can he only show up as that class? So, for example if I set a character to Psi Operative, it's basically impossible for him to show up at any point?

No, they can still show up as Rookies.

Their class only affects what they show up as if they spawn as a promoted reward.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Still poking around in files. In case anyone was wondering, the base damage reduction every time Reaper activates is 1. You could change it to 0 if you felt like it. You can also make mimic beacons last 100 turns.

Andromedon melee attacks are referred to as "Big_Damn_Punch" :allears:

Looks like hacking robots lasts 3 turns exactly, all the time, which is what I was in here looking for.

...Faceless regen 2 HP per turn?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I've definitely seen that in action. Took a Lightning Hands shot at a Faceless before backing up to set up an overwatch trap, and it regened.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Still poking around in files. In case anyone was wondering, the base damage reduction every time Reaper activates is 1. You could change it to 0 if you felt like it. You can also make mimic beacons last 100 turns.

Looks like hacking robots lasts 3 turns exactly, all the time, which is what I was in here looking for.

Faceless last more than a single turn? :v:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Yeah, and apparently Andromedons get a -15 to aim when punching as well because they're clumsy. Though I'm not looking at the files now so I can't tell if that's for the living Andromedon, the angry shell, or both.

And yes, Faceless regen like fuckers and it's so goddamned annoying. Never, ever, ever try to leave one with 1 HP and let poison/fire/acid kill one. They heal 2 HP/turn if you leave them alive, if you mind control one you can see their regen ability.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Lotish posted:

Well after losing the bloody tutorial, I've done much, much better. Had a few losses, but that's to be expected. The last retaliation mission I had to face down introduced berserkers, but the hardest part was actually the three vipers at the end who no one in the party could hit, and when they did, it was a graze. I think half my turns were spent just trying to hit them :argh:

Oh, and I took a Goonpool rookie named "Peas" on his very first mission, and he was the only person to get shot--got hit in full cover by a disoriented trooper from some distance away. He decided on his way to med bay he wanted to be a ranger, and I finally got to take him out for a spin just a few minutes ago. He rules-of-natured half a map and did the most damage out of a entire team of lieutenants and sergeants, despite only being a squaddie. I'm so proud of him I'm taking him to the Blacksite.

5 of those six kills were just that one mission; took out two sectoids, a MEC and a muton. Underdog MVP.

I get shot behind cover by flashbanged enemies all the time. I'm pretty sure they nerfed the poo poo out of the flashbang aim reduction and made it more about stopping special abilities or something

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014
Is it just me or does it feel like all the lategame enemies have gently caress yous towards sword rangers with their innate defence?

It's like sword rangers are working on this odd difficulty curve where they can be pretty useful early on, but as the game goes on it just throws more and more poo poo until swording people starts sounding like a really bad idea outside of niche situations while you have a perfectly fine shotgun in their hands, and I'm starting to wonder why I keep making sword rangers regardless.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Holy poo poo do not take demolitions on your grenadiers. It's bugged to hell and doesn't work.

Also it has a chance to miss but that doesn't matter because it's essentially random. I tried using it to destroy a tree and it did nothing. Doesn't seem to work on most stuff it should.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

oswald ownenstein posted:

I get shot behind cover by flashbanged enemies all the time. I'm pretty sure they nerfed the poo poo out of the flashbang aim reduction and made it more about stopping special abilities or something

Yeah, Flashbangs are basically an area cast of Disorient now...which isn't bad. It does slow enemy movement and reduce enemy aim some, but it's not the flat halving of both that the EW ones were. They also limit a lot of special abilities. Sadly, I've discovered that the Andromedon Acid Cannon ability is not one that's disabled by Flashbangs. If anything, hitting them with Disorient causes them to cast it more often. :gonk:

Also, Andromedons are the enemy I came to fear the most by the end of my first campaign. Sure, Sectopods and Gatekeepers are way worse, but they're balanced about being reasonably rare. The game treats Andromedons almost like Mutons by the end of the game, so you can run into 2 or even 3 at a time at once if you gently caress up and activate too many pods. And yes, a pod can have multiples, I once saw a pod that was 1 Muton and 2 Andromedons. :suicide:

Red Mundus posted:

Holy poo poo do not take demolitions on your grenadiers. It's bugged to hell and doesn't work.

Also it has a chance to miss but that doesn't matter because it's essentially random. I tried using it to destroy a tree and it did nothing. Doesn't seem to work on most stuff it should.

Speaking of BS chances to miss: I had suppressed Psi-Op miss on Fuse of all thing. The grenade in the Muton's pocket exploded, destroyed all the terrain around him, but did no damage and instead displayed "MISS", oh and didn't cancel his suppression fire.

So apparently the grenade in your back pocket can somehow miss your everything when it detonates, provided the psyker who detonates it is being suppressed.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 8, 2016

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Faceless last more than a single turn? :v:

I used to say "man Codexes are no big deal" and then I ran into one I couldn't immediately kill who brought a pair of Pectoids. Between the jammed weapons and the zombies they really managed to get in the way of letting me kill them.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Alkydere posted:

You only have one Avenger, it's made from a cargo vessel and then filled to the brim with the entire resistance's everything and likely flies like a particularly arthritic whale. The aliens likely have effectively endless UFOs. Also, the UFO doesn't really do the hunting, it just carries the team that sets up the tractor-beam beacon that grounds you and fucks you over.
Actually the UFO straight up shoots the Avenger out of the sky with an EMP. There's a cutscene and everything.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stun Troopers have missed every melee. I've never missed mine. Sniper rifles can't hit poo poo (seriously three shots the entire campaign so far have landed). Handcannons can. Meleecom going well. :clint:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
*Carefully traces line that the game says will not give vision of the pod*

*pod activates anyways*

This feature is as much of a blessing as it is a curse. I'm just glad you can still force the game to crash on Ironman to get a redo on your turn for stupid stuff like that.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

*Carefully traces line that the game says will not give vision of the pod*

*pod activates anyways*

This feature is as much of a blessing as it is a curse. I'm just glad you can still force the game to crash on Ironman to get a redo on your turn for stupid stuff like that.

Yeah, the detection squares lying to the player are one of the big reasons I'm not even touching Ironman.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Exposure posted:

Is it just me or does it feel like all the lategame enemies have gently caress yous towards sword rangers with their innate defence?

It's like sword rangers are working on this odd difficulty curve where they can be pretty useful early on, but as the game goes on it just throws more and more poo poo until swording people starts sounding like a really bad idea outside of niche situations while you have a perfectly fine shotgun in their hands, and I'm starting to wonder why I keep making sword rangers regardless.

The answer is terror missions, because swordies can gently caress up Chryssalids forever. Also the like 7 Chryssalids around the objective in the Codex Origin mission. Or was it just me that got those?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
So what am I safe to sell on the Black Market?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Exposure posted:

I agree. They needed to make the better swords get higher to-hit bonuses and maybe even higher damage, because even with a sword-specced ranger by the end of the game there wasn't any reason to use my sword because the shotgun would do 2x as much damage pretty regularly and had a better chance to hit even from several tiles away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Got Powered Armor and Plasma weapons. They're great but I'm going to have to hit the workshop and make up versions that are lovely cobbled together crap instead of super shiny designer sportsgear.