Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
Livin with the fam while actually contributing to bills and housework is fine in my book

Its weird some people act as if buying a house you may not need or paying 1k+ a month for a small apartment is some sort of moral obligation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Ronwayne posted:

Nothing wrong with that, I envy you stay-at-home-riding-out-the-shitstorm types. If we're speaking of bootstraps jobs, ever see what roofing tar does to human flesh? I didn't see it either, firsthand, but the report had the phrase "arm fully skeletonized"

Roofing seems like the bottom of the barrel of the construction world. When you see roofers get out of the van it's half guys who look like they just got out of prison and the other half look like chain-smoking 16 year-old dropouts.

amusinginquiry posted:

Its weird some people act as if buying a house you may not need or paying 1k+ a month for a small apartment is some sort of moral obligation

Yeah, old people who bought homes when you could get a house that wasn't in the ghetto without taking out a 30 year loan.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 8, 2016

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

amusinginquiry posted:

Livin with the fam while actually contributing to bills and housework is fine in my book

It's cause they spent all that money on a mortgage and still can't get laid

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

living with your parents into your thirties cripples your social life and human development. it's probably nice being able to buy a new xbox when it comes out because you don't have to pay rent but lol when you're 35 and crying about how you can't figure out how to do laundry or boil water

like i'm going to believe that millennials can't afford some lovely apartment with a roommate or two out of school. seems like it's more about staving off adulthood and responsibility for as long as possible.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

living with your parents into your thirties cripples your social life and human development. it's probably nice being able to buy a new xbox when it comes out because you don't have to pay rent but lol when you're 35 and crying about how you can't figure out how to do laundry or boil water

like i'm going to believe that millennials can't afford some lovely apartment with a roommate or two out of school. seems like it's more about staving off adulthood and responsibility for as long as possible.
a lot of millennials and even Gen Zers are sharing apartments to my knowledge. when my friend and i graduate we're planning on doing that just because it's easier and more cost-effective than living on our own.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
They're always whatever I want to sneer at, too. I don't even know how that happens. It's very convenient.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I have a super small apartment, and frankly it owns

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

The_Franz posted:

Roofing seems like the bottom of the barrel of the construction world. When you see roofers get out of the van it's half guys who look like they just got out of prison and the other half look like chain-smoking 16 year-old dropouts.

Yeah, that and framing seem to be the worst/most dangerous, the latter because you're expected to put up 100 meters of internal wall within a very short amount of time, which leads to jigsaw shenanigans and nailgun pistoleros.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

amusinginquiry posted:

Contribute to your own bills and do your housework all by yourself like an adult. A child does chores.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
And stop using ketchup.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

ghosTTy fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 8, 2016

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Accretionist posted:

And stop using ketchup.
the ketchup-mayo-mustard combo is great on burgers though

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I miss when this thread was about silly pictures of people being dumb. Then again it was better than the three miles of scrolling for some dude painting words on a wall.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

:nws: https://galleries2.adult-empire.com/92/9216/78/thumbs/1179342334.jpg

http://x.imagefapusercontent.com/u/MrPayne/4080888/1523968162/car_102.jpg

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Houle posted:

I miss when this thread was about silly pictures of people being dumb. Then again it was better than the three miles of scrolling for some dude painting words on a wall.
well once the ultra-hardcore boomers/Gen Xers start posting on the thread, all of that goes out the window

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
I worked alongside concrete formers for a few years, they're all broken men by the time they're 45 or so. All they do is wack stuff with sledgehammers all day and carry stuff, it wears the body down. They all smoke, they all eat poorly, they're out in the sun all day.

Every roofer I've ever seen has been a complete nutter. I remember being on a construction site in Pickering in the middle of February, its 20 below and sleeting. I was in my truck having lunch and I kept smelling pot and realized the truck in front of me was just billowing smoke: two guys were in it hotboxing it, and it looked solid inside from all the smoke: the smell was from the little crack in the window.

They get out after lunch and they're roofers. loving windy as hell, sleeting, and cold, on a roof? Ideal time to be stoned. Not like there's a chance of falling.

naem
May 29, 2011

:agreed:

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

:yeah:

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQSQgGtVN5k&feature=youtu.be&t=135

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

something all generations can agree on

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Horniest Manticore posted:

something all generations can agree on

This is actually pretty discriminatory to the non-hetronormative people in this thread.

Also Chrome doesn't think 'non-hetronormative' a real word, thanks for the cultural erasure or w/e Google!

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

A good sign of how millenials think is shown in the manufacturing field. A lot of the jobs we sent overseas are slowly coming back along with companies who never left and are growing. There are literally dozens of big manufacturers I've talked to in this region who cannot find workers to replace the boomers who are retiring. Some have had jobs posted for months and cannot fill them. These are mostly $35k-65k starting out with the higher end being maintenance positions. Also, many are air-conditioned and clean enough you could eat off the floor so it's not horrible working conditions.

They don't want people with exact skills for the job as they will train them on site, but are looking mostly for "soft skills" and the millenials they interview don't have them. If you're not familiar with the term, simply put its good work ethic (showing up on time, teamwork, etc.) but millenials can't do it and would rather live on welfare in their parents basement.

What are the requirements? This is yet another anecdote.

If it pays that high its a little more than "place item into box".

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Psychotic Weasel posted:

This is actually pretty discriminatory to the non-hetronormative people in this thread.

Also Chrome doesn't think 'non-hetronormative' a real word, thanks for the cultural erasure or w/e Google!

im bi and okay w/ it

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Psychotic Weasel posted:

you're good at that

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Psychotic Weasel posted:

no one cares, go back to e/n

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

Sylink posted:

What are the requirements? This is yet another anecdote.

If it pays that high its a little more than "place item into box".

I'm gonna echo the other goon who asked where these supposed job opportunities are. Help a millenigoon out and maybe they'll move out of their parents' house.

I got my house the old-fashioned way: inheriting it from a relative.

BOOT STRAPS

Fart Puzzle
Jul 25, 2007

compressed fart pieces

haha its great when the government cuts my grants for school then offers me loans instead hahaha ahaha super great i love it

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Get a job

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

you got poned by your school counselor when they told you to do a jobless degree

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

ghostter posted:

you got poned by your school counselor when they told you to do a jobless degree

it was a test. only the weak of mind stray from the true path of stem. major in liberal arts and you deserve what you get

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

it was a test. only the weak of mind stray from the true path of stem. major in liberal arts and you deserve what you get
counterpoint: some of us are terrible at anything STEM-related

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

symbolic posted:

counterpoint: some of us are terrible at anything STEM-related

have you considered suicide?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This thread does a great job of highlighting the bizzare 30 and younger aversion to any kind of trade skill. Like, other jobs and careers exist besides STEM-somthing (except what you're really saying is IT or comp sci, not like a real engineer or whatever) or liberal arts. Or even just non-stem BS degrees like journalism or political science.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

have you considered suicide?
every day that i remember i'm Gen Z

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/04/fashion/for-millennial-men-gray-hair-is-welcome.html

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i can't tell what's worse, the hairstyles or the hair color

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth

olylifter posted:

I worked alongside concrete formers for a few years, they're all broken men by the time they're 45 or so. All they do is wack stuff with sledgehammers all day and carry stuff, it wears the body down. They all smoke, they all eat poorly, they're out in the sun all day.

Every roofer I've ever seen has been a complete nutter. I remember being on a construction site in Pickering in the middle of February, its 20 below and sleeting. I was in my truck having lunch and I kept smelling pot and realized the truck in front of me was just billowing smoke: two guys were in it hotboxing it, and it looked solid inside from all the smoke: the smell was from the little crack in the window.

They get out after lunch and they're roofers. loving windy as hell, sleeting, and cold, on a roof? Ideal time to be stoned. Not like there's a chance of falling.

most trades are hard on bodies in some way.

roofing is a pretty dangerous job, people fall off ladders all the time. Also it seems really hard on their backs & bodies. Also nobody ever gets benefits its almost always cash in hand work, no job security.. really crappy job. nobody to sue for poor conditions. all the guys you read about on buzzfeed who shot nails into their heads & legs & didn't notice were roofers.

painters, too, breathe a lot of fumes. they're always at least a little nuts. the painting foreman where I work has this mad cackle like a batman villain. never met a smart painter.

carpet layers crawl around on their knees all day. they have a special tool with barbs on one end, and a knee pad on the other. The barbs set into carpet, then they knee the pad *HRRRK* to cinch the carpet tight. Carpet laying tears people up.

welders get cataracts and go blind in their old age. Plus they get to breathe the horrible fumes from all the rod they burn up (but they all smoke anyway, so)

as an electrician i only have a little back pain from working overhead a lot, but people do get electrocuted. I heard through the grapevine that a guy I used to work with burned up his arm when he drilled into a live underground wire. he probably violated safety procedure but that poo poo does happen and we all shrug about it and say a thankful prayer that our boss isn't one of those "just get it done no matter what" assholes.

plumbers have it pretty good too, but they sometimes have to touch poop.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

froward posted:

as an electrician i only have a little back pain from working overhead a lot, but people do get electrocuted. I heard through the grapevine that a guy I used to work with burned up his arm when he drilled into a live underground wire. he probably violated safety procedure but that poo poo does happen and we all shrug about it and say a thankful prayer that our boss isn't one of those "just get it done no matter what" assholes.

I had one of those.

He taught OSHA certs on the side :cripes:

My favorite story is this contractor who has a useless manchild son he employs. Concrete support is mispoured, so he has manchild jackhammering it. Manchild complains of pain "It hurts dad!" over and over. Contractor finally gets pissed and does it himself. Gets the poo poo zapped out of him.

Above a welder was using the rebar in the pillar as a ground.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

froward posted:

most trades are hard on bodies in some way.

roofing is a pretty dangerous job, people fall off ladders all the time. Also it seems really hard on their backs & bodies. Also nobody ever gets benefits its almost always cash in hand work, no job security.. really crappy job. nobody to sue for poor conditions. all the guys you read about on buzzfeed who shot nails into their heads & legs & didn't notice were roofers.

painters, too, breathe a lot of fumes. they're always at least a little nuts. the painting foreman where I work has this mad cackle like a batman villain. never met a smart painter.

carpet layers crawl around on their knees all day. they have a special tool with barbs on one end, and a knee pad on the other. The barbs set into carpet, then they knee the pad *HRRRK* to cinch the carpet tight. Carpet laying tears people up.

welders get cataracts and go blind in their old age. Plus they get to breathe the horrible fumes from all the rod they burn up (but they all smoke anyway, so)

plumbers have it pretty good too, but they sometimes have to touch poop.

plumbing can be hard work too like having to haul a dead water heater out of the building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Ronwayne posted:

I had one of those.

He taught OSHA certs on the side :cripes:

My favorite story is this contractor who has a useless manchild son he employs. Concrete support is mispoured, so he has manchild jackhammering it. Manchild complains of pain "It hurts dad!" over and over. Contractor finally gets pissed and does it himself. Gets the poo poo zapped out of him.

Above a welder was using the rebar in the pillar as a ground.

maybe he should have listened to his gay son

• Locked thread