Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Early buzz is overwhelmingly positive on Deadpool, and the one goon that's seen it says it's dope as hell :v:

Most of the reception seems to pretty much say it's the movie the trailers promise, and the guy who saw it said it mostly stuck to the script, so........its gonna be bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Why are so many goons so angry at a movie they haven't seen, and in fact appears to be exactly the Deadpool movie they've been asking for for so long, yet there hasn't been one mention of the word pandering for Olivia Munn playing Psylocke?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Sir Kodiak posted:

That sold me on going back to the franchise more than anything else.

At this point that and amazing character actors in side roles are the draw of the series.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dillbag posted:

Why are so many goons so angry at a movie they haven't seen, and in fact appears to be exactly the Deadpool movie they've been asking for for so long, yet there hasn't been one mention of the word pandering for Olivia Munn playing Psylocke?
I sure as gently caress wasn't asking for a Deadpool movie.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hat Thoughts posted:

Most of the reception seems to pretty much say it's the movie the trailers promise

er, what, the reception I've been reading says literally the opposite of this (the trailers played up the lolrandom poo poo way more than the movie does, because most of the actual jokes don't play well when condensed to trailer length)

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

LORD OF BUTT posted:

er, what, the reception I've been reading says literally the opposite of this (the trailers played up the lolrandom poo poo way more than the movie does, because most of the actual jokes don't play well when condensed to trailer length)

huh everything ive read (admittedly, only like...2) say it's the same mile-a-minute joke pace as the trailer, u got some links my man (curious)?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Dillbag posted:

Because it's:

1. A comic book movie (Cardinal sin)
2. A Deadpool property
3. The Wrong Kind Of People like it.

Gotta remember where you're posting.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dillbag posted:

This isn't tough to figure out. The goons who wanted a movie seem to be eagerly anticipating it. The animosity towards the film from everyone else is based on the awful trailers and ads.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

This isn't tough to figure out. The goons who wanted a movie seem to be eagerly anticipating it. The animosity towards the film from everyone else is based on the awful trailers and ads.

Deadpool is Wolverine except instead of using adamantium, they used Marmite. Given the reactions here I'd say they've managed to make a good Deadpool movie, but it's not going to win anyone over who actively didn't want to see it before.

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

It's because it looks like complete loving dogshit, targeted at 11 year olds who's idea of "edgy" is having a hero who swears a lot.

Like, you couldn't get me to watch that movie at gunpoint, it literally looks like the worst.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hat Thoughts posted:

huh everything ive read (admittedly, only like...2) say it's the same mile-a-minute joke pace as the trailer, u got some links my man (curious)?

Here's the only non-industry goon who's seen it, and he came out with basically what I said. Mile-a-minute joke pace doesn't mean those jokes work out of context.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Here's the only non-industry goon who's seen it, and he came out with basically what I said. Mile-a-minute joke pace doesn't mean those jokes work out of context.

Well... I read the first few pages of the script so if it's funny in the same way...it's not funny

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dillbag posted:

Pandering would be casting some beautiful model, people got all that stuff out of their system ten years ago when Munn was on Attack of the Show.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The last I remember about Olivia Munn (outside of the Brett Ratner shrimp masturbation story) is that she got props for her performance as the therapist/gently caress-buddy in Magic Mike and being the only person on the show able to make Aaron Sorkin's Newsroom dialogue slosh palatable.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

people got all that stuff out of their system ten years ago when Munn was on Attack of the Show.

Phrasing.

Munn's a pretty good actor, but I really doubt she's going to have many speaking lines, unless we get a "Four Horseman's Night Out!" scene, which would be dope.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I know Munn from Daily Show and remember feeling bad for her having to be on Newsroom. Why is she pandering?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Because it's:

1. A comic book movie (Cardinal sin)
2. A Deadpool property
3. The Wrong Kind Of People like it.

Gotta remember where you're posting.

Actually, it's because it looks like loving poo poo :thumbsup:

like dude if you're excited for deadpool good for you but it doesn't mean everyone has a secret anti-deadpool agenda

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Ugh, that whole catch phrase thing with chimichangas never fails to make me wince.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Calico Heart posted:

I know Munn from Daily Show and remember feeling bad for her having to be on Newsroom. Why is she pandering?

Because she was the original 'fake geek girl' from 2003. Hot woman who DARES to FAKE her interest in Star Wars or whatever. Why won't they stop shoving her down our throats?

quote:

Actually, it's because it looks like loving poo poo :thumbsup:

like dude if you're excited for deadpool good for you but it doesn't mean everyone has a secret anti-deadpool agenda

The thread is pretty funny so far. Nothing about the movie, everything about the loving revenge of the nerds.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I remember people doing that fake nerd girl poo poo back when she was in Iron Man 2 for like 3 seconds and I had no loving idea who she even was. I don't really see what the big deal is, I'm not exactly a fan or anything, but she'll probably do a decent job?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The big deal is that she's an attractive woman who dares to make comic books and video games all about her! She's not even that attractive, anyway!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Man those Deadpool trailers and TV spots look terrible.

*tracking through the roof*

Goons should feel good about not being a good barometer for these kinds of things.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Pretty sure goons are the target market there's just a few tryhards here who think its beneath them or something. When early (like wayyy back) fan posters were coming out people went nuts for it.

Good on you guys for 'growing up' tho Lol

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The only issue I have with that trailer is that it didn't really tell me anything new. But the movie comes out in a few days so I guess it doesn't have to.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
It doesn't really seem that weird that a character whose entire shtick is being obnoxious might be obnoxious to some people. Reviews are turning out pretty good, though, so I might catch it at some point.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I would tell you it's good and funny but ~~Pixels~~

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

morestuff posted:

It doesn't really seem that weird that a character whose entire shtick is being obnoxious might be obnoxious to some people. Reviews are turning out pretty good, though, so I might catch it at some point.

Yeah, I'm pleasantly surprised by the reviews so far.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

kiimo posted:

I would tell you it's good and funny but ~~Pixels~~

We all have our Carnosaur

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I'm not really getting why people hate those trailers so much. I wasn't howling with laughter, but there's nothing in there that would cause me to feel rage. The jokes remind me of 90s Jim Carrey. Something you'd see out of The Mask or Ace Ventura (especially the brown pants line) but with more swearing. While not something I'd be into now, I was all about that poo poo when I was 10 years old, so I'm not going to sit here and be all judgey about it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I am just kinda confuse because the trailers kinda remind me of the Deadpool stuff I don't like when there are people who like the Deadpool stuff I do and are saying its like that. I am not angry though, just confused.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

PBS Newshour posted:

We all have our Carnosaur

Carnosaur is great, though?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Carnosaur is great, though?

Shut up Siskel!

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Asiina posted:

I'm not really getting why people hate those trailers so much.

The jokes remind me of 90s Jim Carrey. Something you'd see out of The Mask or Ace Ventura (especially the brown pants line) but with more swearing.

I haven't watched any DP trailers so I have no opinion on them, but for a lot of folks you probably just answered your own question.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Asiina posted:

I'm not really getting why people hate those trailers so much. I wasn't howling with laughter, but there's nothing in there that would cause me to feel rage.

I'm taking all the trailer criticisms with a mountain of salt - the way I see it, this could end up being the same type of gripe people had when Heath Ledger was cast as Joker in TDK. Everyone all up in arms that some teen heartthrob type was cast as a crazy villain and he ended up knocking it the gently caress out of the park despite what anyone said/thought. For me I just see it as a fun superhero popcorn flick, but I'm not a super comic sperglord jackass that thinks every adaptation has to be perfect and to-the-letter, those assholes are as bad as the "it wasn't as good as the book" idiots.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I have no issues with Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool, he seems great in the role.
It's just that the marketing is trying way too hard to hammer home how wacky and funny the character is and failing horribly at it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I guess that depends on your definition of what "failing" is.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yea i think failing on that front would be not getting people interested or talking about the spots. Maybe he meant succeeding

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Deakul posted:

I have no issues with Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool, he seems great in the role.
It's just that the marketing is trying way too hard to hammer home how wacky and funny the character is and failing horribly at it.

It's definitely not failing. It's both tracking really well AND the tone of the marketing pretty accurately mimics the tone of Deadpool's humor.

The problem is that you just don't find it funny (I don't either).

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Ozz81 posted:

I'm taking all the trailer criticisms with a mountain of salt - the way I see it, this could end up being the same type of gripe people had when Heath Ledger was cast as Joker in TDK. Everyone all up in arms that some teen heartthrob type was cast as a crazy villain and he ended up knocking it the gently caress out of the park despite what anyone said/thought. For me I just see it as a fun superhero popcorn flick, but I'm not a super comic sperglord jackass that thinks every adaptation has to be perfect and to-the-letter, those assholes are as bad as the "it wasn't as good as the book" idiots.

Nobody's ever criticized Deadpool because Ryan Reynolds is in it lmao.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The real problem is that you have these jokes that work in a context of a R-rated movie. The character is irreverent and foul-mouthed. Then you try to whittle down these jokes to the few fit for broadcast while maintaining his edge. Then they get filtered by testing, execs and talent. Then there's this hive mind mentality of these pods and moments work and rather than fight for something new marketing starts churning out spots that have these lame jokes because they're sort of funny but not really but at least they aren't polarizing. "Did I leave the stove on?" is not funny. It's never seemed funny to me and never will. However TJ Miller telling Deadpool he looks like Freddy Kreuger face-hosed a topographical map of Utah, well that does it for me but guess what a Super Bowl spot isn't going to contain that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

kiimo posted:

The real problem is that you have these jokes that work in a context of a R-rated movie. The character is irreverent and foul-mouthed. Then you try to whittle down these jokes to the few fit for broadcast while maintaining his edge. Then they get filtered by testing, execs and talent. Then there's this hive mind mentality of these pods and moments work and rather than fight for something new marketing starts churning out spots that have these lame jokes because they're sort of funny but not really but at least they aren't polarizing. "Did I leave the stove on?" is not funny. It's never seemed funny to me and never will. However TJ Miller telling Deadpool he looks like Freddy Kreuger face-hosed a topographical map of Utah, well that does it for me but guess what a Super Bowl spot isn't going to contain that.

Yeah some of that humor is definitely right up my alley. My biggest fear is that the kind of irreverence of Deadpool works as a side character, but as a full main character it might tire easily.

Kind of like how Jean Ralphio is one of the greatest TV characters of all time, but if you used him any more than they did he'd get real annoying real fast.

• Locked thread