Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

The main character is Tataru.

Tataru is the main protagonist, plucky sidekick, and the final boss.
You're just her hanger on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm not sure how more inventory space lets you kill bosses faster, but okay, maybe you have a different definition of winning.

That and you have exactly enough armory chest space to have one set of gear for every job/class (except rings, but those are role based so you're fine there too) with a little bit extra. If you really wanted to you could play the game with 0 items in your inventory except for when crafting or fishing (since tackle box is not a thing), not counting poo poo you pick up between purges of your inventory space to vendors or the market board.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SilverSupernova posted:

Tataru is the main protagonist, plucky sidekick, and the final boss.
You're just her hanger on.

Emerald carbuncle knew!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Hahaha, as if we aren't just fleshing out our backstory as a minor side character in the ongoing adventures of the true main character, Hildibrand

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I just got to 54 on BRD. Is there much trick to using Empyreal Arrow with Barrage, besides just using first one then the other (which feels like it wastes a lot of GCD time)?

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

I just got to 54 on BRD. Is there much trick to using Empyreal Arrow with Barrage, besides just using first one then the other (which feels like it wastes a lot of GCD time)?

No trick. Use it with your opener(with Quelling Strikes) and then every minute after that.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tortolia posted:

Half the game is a fetch quest. It's a MMO.

That doesn't make it magically exciting.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

Volume posted:

That doesn't make it magically exciting.

No but it's kinda like saying "god i hate memorizing combos" and then playing a fighting game. If you hate fetch quests don't play mmos

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Diadem fishing is so goddamn chill. More people need to discover this so I can have more fishing parties and get lucrative poo poo + eso + whatever comes out of coffers

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Diadem fishing is so goddamn chill. More people need to discover this so I can have more fishing parties and get lucrative poo poo + eso + whatever comes out of coffers

Nothing as chill as everyone else in the instance flipping their poo poo because you're fishing instead of maximizing gold chest drops

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I need some pretty princess advice. What would you wear if you wanted to dress up a dragoon as a Landsknecht?

I've got it mostly figured out. The "acton" variety of chestpieces works pretty well for the top (but I'm open to other ideas) and the holy rainbow pants from heavensward seem to function for the leg piece (but again, I'm open to improvements).

The hat's bugging me, though. There's a few things that come close, but nothing is quite right. Most of the headgear that's available to dragoons is of the "we put a feather in it" variety, but I need something that has like, five feathers in it. Bard quality poofiness. The onion helm would be close, but I don't even know how to get it. Some of the flowery capeline hats on the MB come close, but they're almost too poofy, if that's even possible.

Where can I find some poofy dragoon hats? Bards have all the good glamour.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ainsley McTree posted:

I need some pretty princess advice. What would you wear if you wanted to dress up a dragoon as a Landsknecht?

I've got it mostly figured out. The "acton" variety of chestpieces works pretty well for the top (but I'm open to other ideas) and the holy rainbow pants from heavensward seem to function for the leg piece (but again, I'm open to improvements).

The hat's bugging me, though. There's a few things that come close, but nothing is quite right. Most of the headgear that's available to dragoons is of the "we put a feather in it" variety, but I need something that has like, five feathers in it. Bard quality poofiness. The onion helm would be close, but I don't even know how to get it. Some of the flowery capeline hats on the MB come close, but they're almost too poofy, if that's even possible.

Where can I find some poofy dragoon hats? Bards have all the good glamour.

Onion helm drops from The Labyrinth of the Ancients.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

:eng101: Onion Mask drops from LOTA. Onion Helm was a special item code from the Collector's Edition of 1.0.

Edit: The two other helmets that use the same model, Peregrine Helm and Red Onion Helm are both also from 1.0. I think Red Onions can still be obtained randomly from quick ventures, but you're out of luck for the other ones.

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 8, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Another alternative would be to buy an Adept's Hat off of the MB/Get it crafted for glamour. It doesn't have feathers, but it has the poofyness. You might like it more than the blue Onion Mask.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Another alternative would be to buy an Adept's Hat off of the MB/Get it crafted for glamour. It doesn't have feathers, but it has the poofyness. You might like it more than the blue Onion Mask.

The Adept's Hat is from blue scrips, so you can't buy it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Red Onion Helms can also be purchased off the AH, but you may wind up coughing up an arm and a leg for it.

edit: Ahahahaha, never mind, they have come down a million since the last time I looked. 500g for one on Excalibur.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Feb 8, 2016

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm not sure how more inventory space lets you kill bosses faster, but okay, maybe you have a different definition of winning.

Since the true endgame of Final Fantasy Fourteen Anime Catgirl Dressup Simulator is glamour, they are correct.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Um, excuse me, I think you mean anime waifu simulator? Not all waifus are catgirls, and our precious willowy dragongirls are just as equal.

:goonsay:

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to soak in some turpentine to feel clean again.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.

Rotoru posted:

Speaking of WHM, does anyone have any suggestions for hotbar layout? I'm at the point where I really need to figure out a decent layout and would really appreciate some input.

I am a WHM that has beaten everything in the game. This is what I have used for the last two years:

(It's hard to see, but cleric stance is mapped to tilda; also the screenshot is a little old, I keep Stone II on 5 for 50 synced stuff and Stone I on 6 for A3S)

Note that this layout assumes you're using ESDF to control movement instead of WASD; I forced myself to learn to use ESDF for movement early on in this game, this makes it easier to access a bunch of keys and I was able to map all important instant-cast skills to buttons or modifier combinations I can easily press while still moving in nearly any direction.

Another upside to this setup is it uses no special mouse buttons. All the keys are standard on any keyboard, even ones without a numpad, such that I feel right at home on whatever laptop or desktop I play the game on. I'm even able to play somewhat competently using a laptop nub or touchpad as a mouse since I only use the mouse for camera control.

The big downside, of course, is learning to use ESDF. It took me roughly a month to get used to it, and during that time I was functionally useless in most fights that involved movement. I'm glad I did in the end, though.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

ApplesandOranges posted:

Endgame content is glamour dress up, not killing bosses :mad:

Burn My Dread
Feb 23, 2007

Tear up your fear, the end is coming near, spit it out like a spear, I'll burn your dread

dromal phrenia posted:

Endgame content is glamour dress up, not killing bosses :mad:

Killing bosses is how you get the best glamours, though. :v:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
If that's the case, beating CT's insane queue times is the true endgame since CT has some of the best glamours.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Red Onion Helms can also be purchased off the AH, but you may wind up coughing up an arm and a leg for it.

edit: Ahahahaha, never mind, they have come down a million since the last time I looked. 500g for one on Excalibur.

I have a red onion helm but it's tank-only unfortunately. I guess a DRK would work for this too, though.

I might try out the adept hat. I'm not above grinding crafting just for a hat.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

seiferguy posted:

If that's the case, beating CT's insane queue times is the true endgame since CT has some of the best glamours.

Yeah, I really wish they did something to encourage people to run the older raids again in 3.2. Given how much they did to encourage it during 2.x it's kind of weird that they seem to be entirely content to let Coil and CT completely die.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Xenoveritas posted:

Yeah, I really wish they did something to encourage people to run the older raids again in 3.2. Given how much they did to encourage it during 2.x it's kind of weird that they seem to be entirely content to let Coil and CT completely die.

They should allow for CT weeklies to be turned in for an anima weapon item (like the bone or the shell) and you'd start seeing a ton of people running it again.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

seiferguy posted:

They should allow for CT weeklies to be turned in for an anima weapon item (like the bone or the shell) and you'd start seeing a ton of people running it again.

That is a great solution.

I expect them to do some sort of 24-man roulette or something down the road to make CT queues reasonable again, but I don't know how offhand to revitalize Coil other than what they have done with newbie poetics; it is too difficult to just throw into a roulette and expect competence unless you deliberately exclude, say, T5/T9 or allow it unsynched or something.

gently caress, people immediately flee from the Ultros trial when that comes up in trial roulette.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Tortolia posted:

I don't know how offhand to revitalize Coil other than what they have done with newbie poetics; it is too difficult to just throw into a roulette and expect competence unless you deliberately exclude, say, T5/T9 or allow it unsynched or something.

Raid roulette?

I'd be more likely to grind Alexander if you mixed some Coil in there. Alex is just boring.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
CT has a great aesthetic and fun encounters and really really good music so I just hope they do anything at all so I don't have to sit in queue for an hour or more just to do it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Tortolia posted:

That is a great solution.

I expect them to do some sort of 24-man roulette or something down the road to make CT queues reasonable again, but I don't know how offhand to revitalize Coil other than what they have done with newbie poetics; it is too difficult to just throw into a roulette and expect competence unless you deliberately exclude, say, T5/T9 or allow it unsynched or something.

gently caress, people immediately flee from the Ultros trial when that comes up in trial roulette.

Ultros can at least be done with less than a full party of competent people. Bismark is just a nightmare when it shows up on trial roulette. I've only managed to complete that trial twice, since it manages to combine all the worst aspects of Leviathan (slams), Titan (an arena you can fall off of that tries to make you), and Steps (dragonkillers) with an additional gently caress you to ranged DPS by making you stand on the shell or do no damage..

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
gently caress you ranged dps by giving you like 45 seconds heads up you're gonna need to take one step on a thing to do damage so you can RP walk over to it and still have 10 seconds to prepare to jump on it.

Also there's like no way to fall off the platform in normal unless you intentionally jump off of it.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Kwyndig posted:

Ultros can at least be done with less than a full party of competent people. Bismark is just a nightmare when it shows up on trial roulette. I've only managed to complete that trial twice, since it manages to combine all the worst aspects of Leviathan (slams), Titan (an arena you can fall off of that tries to make you), and Steps (dragonkillers) with an additional gently caress you to ranged DPS by making you stand on the shell or do no damage..

Considering the Fiend raid was made by Titan guy and involves a "jump rope" mechanic I fully expect it to be a fun fight that is lovely to DF.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Belzac posted:

gently caress you ranged dps by giving you like 45 seconds heads up you're gonna need to take one step on a thing to do damage so you can RP walk over to it and still have 10 seconds to prepare to jump on it.

Also there's like no way to fall off the platform in normal unless you intentionally jump off of it.

I'm pretty sure there's a one-two punch of stun and knockback that catch you off guard if you're literally watching netflix instead of looking at your screen.

It's hard to die to, but not impossible I've done it

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Belzac posted:

You do realize in phase 2 of normal the adds have a knockback right? Bads will be bads.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
I cleared Bismarck Ex and I didn't even know it was possible to fall off until I walked right off the edge like a dumbass in normal trying to be the first one on. :v:

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Kwyndig posted:

You do realize in phase 2 of normal the adds have a knockback right? Bads will be bads.

I'm pretty sure the snakes do not have a knock back, I think you're thinking of the vanus who might have a knockback but you got to be real dumb to get hit by them and the knock back is very minor from what I recall. I've done it probably 10+ times in trial roulette and never have not one shot it because it's so easy. Ravana is much harder for DF babbies.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Levantine posted:

CT has a great aesthetic and fun encounters and really really good music so I just hope they do anything at all so I don't have to sit in queue for an hour or more just to do it.

Yeah, pretty much this. CT has fantastic music (FF3 was quite underrated), excellent glamours (Amon's set for bards and the Demon Healing set in particular), and has a variety of colors instead of Void Ark's brown and purple. The fights are enjoyable and people won't wipe easily because mechanically it's not too difficult.

I will look forward to the day that I don't have to run Void Ark at least once a week.

edit: the only trial roulette I've abandoned has been Bismarck because pubbies can't do the DPS check (usually because they've fallen off and died).

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 8, 2016

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

seiferguy posted:

Yeah, pretty much this. CT has fantastic music (FF3 was quite underrated), excellent glamours (Amon's set for bards and the Demon Healing set in particular), and has a variety of colors instead of Void Ark's brown and purple. The fights are enjoyable and people won't wipe easily because mechanically it's not too difficult.

I will look forward to the day that I don't have to run Void Ark at least once a week.

edit: the only trial roulette I've abandoned has been Bismarck because pubbies can't do the DPS check (usually because they've fallen off and died).

Underrated by who? It's number 8 on Japan's top 100 games of all time and the 4th highest Final Fantasy game on that list.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Belzac posted:

Underrated by who? It's number 8 on Japan's top 100 games of all time and the 4th highest Final Fantasy game on that list.

Obviously not Japan then. Weird! I wonder if there's a country out there that really likes Final Fantasy, but wouldn't have had the chance to experience FF3 for some reason.

Huh. I'm stumped.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Every single time that I get Bismarck I hope that we will one-cycle the Carapace.

Every single time I express that hope in party chat.

Never have I ever seen it happen.

I think part of it is that it (and Ravana and Ultros+Typhon and also the non-Big-Bridge Gilgamesh fight) often only come up in Trial Roulette because there's a new player doing it who drags the other seven in, but I don't know why the other six people suck so hard :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Obviously not Japan then. Weird! I wonder if there's a country out there that really likes Final Fantasy, but wouldn't have had the chance to experience FF3 for some reason.

Huh. I'm stumped.

If you didn't play the rom 15 years ago I don't know what to tell you.

• Locked thread