Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

froward posted:

most trades are hard on bodies in some way.

My hands are turning into calloused sausage-fingered messes and my typing speed's dropped from like 100 to 80 WPM as a result.

The jacked forearms are cold comfort. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Justin Tyme posted:

:shrug: midwest strokes, those houses on that Flip or Flop show where they sell them for 300,400,500 thousand dollars in Cali would be scraping 100,000-150,000 here

I laugh and cry at all those real estate shows. Millennials don't get property in my city unless their parents die

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Last I checked Vancouver wasn't the only city in Canada

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Last I checked that's irrelevant to the conversation?

The rest of Canada is terrible. I was on my way back to New Zealand but the wife is resisting now that she got a great job.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Reverse Centaur posted:

Last I checked that's irrelevant to the conversation?

The rest of Canada is terrible. I was on my way back to New Zealand but the wife is resisting now that she got a great job.

good for her, gently caress middle earth

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Isn't Toronto supposed to be nice? It's mayor is a shithead coke fiend. That's pretty cool.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
It's pretty bad in the UK.

test yourself!!

The trend for people investing in buy-to-let means that most younger people can't afford what used to be considered a First Time Buyer's house because they've all been snapped up by people building their portfolio. Add to that zero-hour contracts, unstable jobs, and most new build 'affordable housing' not really being that at all, and it's no surprise people are still living with their parents well into their thirties.

Also, poo poo like this-

Flats stand empty in London

quote:

In London and other parts of Britain where demand for property is soaring, have you ever wondered how it is that no sooner has a pub, service station or office hung up the closed sign, and the builders moved in, than another notice goes up announcing 85 per cent sold?

The answer very often is that the flats sorry, luxury apartments (there being no such thing as mere flats these days) are sold off plan to overseas investors. The agents have hotfooted it to Hong Kong, Shanghai or Mumbai and got them to part with an awful lot of cash. Sight unseen, just like that.

Its remarkable. In my experience, living in south-west London, it happens every time. Perhaps this is the Asian way that they buy property in a cavalier fashion, quite unlike folk in this country who want to pay several visits and get the tape measure out before agreeing. Or, more likely, they are treating the apartment as simply another form of investment, the same as buying shares.

Certainly, they have propped up the current property boom. But now I hear of a strange noise engulfing the market. Its of a lot of clucking and flapping, as in chickens coming home to roost.

Because I was told this week by an industry insider that 85 per cent sold really means 2,000 deposits paid on 85 per cent. And because they face an economic slowdown at home, Chinese investors in particular are saying: Keep the 2,000 and if you dont like it come after us in the Chinese courts.

They are defaulting, in other words, with no consequences. And the result is that some developers are left holding a huge supply of apartments that few onshore buyers can afford. Prepare, said my nark, for 50 per cent-plus price drops.

We went on to speculate just what the further consequences might be. Apart from a crash, he predicted that people who were taken in by the 85 per cent sold boasts might seek compensation. They had been led to believe 85 per cent were sold, and that wasnt the case. Stand by for possible legal actions against developers and their agents.

It is, we agreed, fraudulent misrepresentation to claim that a property is sold with no certainty the transaction will be completed. Receiving a deposit is not the same as completion.

Anyone who has been induced into paying a sky-high price for an apartment in the belief that the bulk of the other units in the block have been sold and demand is huge when they have not been sold at all could, we believe, have good grounds to sue.

So there are all these flats sitting empty because overseas investors just drop money on a whim then change their minds. It's hard to feel sorry for those greedy developers though.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

This thread does a great job of highlighting the bizzare 30 and younger aversion to any kind of trade skill. Like, other jobs and careers exist besides STEM-somthing (except what you're really saying is IT or comp sci, not like a real engineer or whatever) or liberal arts. Or even just non-stem BS degrees like journalism or political science.

HI IM MIKE ROWE WE NEED WELDERS YOU DUMB MILLENIAL FUCKS OH BTW YOU HAVE TO WORK IN NORTH DAKOTA WITH METH ADDICTS LOL

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
First machine shop I worked in, I would've had to put in ~5 years before I could've afforded to move out of my parents house.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
i find it really funny that bachelor's degrees have essentially become the new high school diploma for basically no reason. and by "find it really funny" I mean "drives me to drink"

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
If I were rich as balls, I'd found a free university. It'd be like graduate school pacing/workloads but you'd get a degree in three years for $0, incl. room & board because gently caress the system.

I'd also create an at-cost textbook mill because loving destroy the textbook industry. gently caress em'. Destroy it. Burn them to the loving ground oh my god I loving hate them

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I took a quick 3-week course to get a job once, and the course cost $650. That was nine years ago, and I recently found out the same course costs $10,000 now.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.

Rondette posted:

It's pretty bad in the UK.

I used to think my first class degree in nuclear physics was my greatest achievement. Actually I think it was working every summer from 16, being careful with my spending and saving my money, then when I went to university, instead of renting a place for my second year onwards I bought a house (mostly using my savings as the deposit, some extra from my parents). The rent of the three other students paid for the mortgage and my uni fees, some being left over to top my savings back up. Being nerdy types we didn't have huge parties so we managed to keep the place clean and tidy and free of stuff like mice and mould. After 4 years sold the house at a tidy profit and put that money towards a house for my girlfriend and I. We move in at the end of this month.

Several family members have expressed their jealously over it, often asking how we've been able to do it. When I compare the life-styles of my cousins and their friends to my own it's obvious. I don't smoke, I don't gamble. I don't go out on the town every week, I don't give a gently caress about having to have the latest iPhone or Nikes or whatever. I'm not fussed about "needing" a flash car. I think too many people these days have an attitude of "It's payday! Time to spend it all!" and don't realise that one has to make sacrifices if you want better things.

Case in point, my cousin and her boyfriend used to be those kind of people. Going out every Friday and/or Saturday night, designer clothes, latest phones, lots of take-aways instead of cooking from scratch. The bf in particular used to spend a lot of money betting on football and boxing. Then they wanted a house together and realised the sacrifices they would have to make. To their credit, they dialled it all back and they realised pretty soon just how much money they were spending on pointless things. She says it's toughest thing they've ever done, having to save instead of spend, but now they have a house and a child, she told me it was all worth it.

Then there's the other cousin who has three kids and actually worked out she was better living off benefits than her and her husband working. Scum.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Zveroboy posted:

I used to think my first class degree in nuclear physics was my greatest achievement. Actually I think it was working every summer from 16, being careful with my spending and saving my money, then when I went to university, instead of renting a place for my second year onwards I bought a house (mostly using my savings as the deposit, some extra from my parents). The rent of the three other students paid for the mortgage and my uni fees, some being left over to top my savings back up. Being nerdy types we didn't have huge parties so we managed to keep the place clean and tidy and free of stuff like mice and mould. After 4 years sold the house at a tidy profit and put that money towards a house for my girlfriend and I. We move in at the end of this month.

Several family members have expressed their jealously over it, often asking how we've been able to do it. When I compare the life-styles of my cousins and their friends to my own it's obvious. I don't smoke, I don't gamble. I don't go out on the town every week, I don't give a gently caress about having to have the latest iPhone or Nikes or whatever. I'm not fussed about "needing" a flash car. I think too many people these days have an attitude of "It's payday! Time to spend it all!" and don't realise that one has to make sacrifices if you want better things.

Case in point, my cousin and her boyfriend used to be those kind of people. Going out every Friday and/or Saturday night, designer clothes, latest phones, lots of take-aways instead of cooking from scratch. The bf in particular used to spend a lot of money betting on football and boxing. Then they wanted a house together and realised the sacrifices they would have to make. To their credit, they dialled it all back and they realised pretty soon just how much money they were spending on pointless things. She says it's toughest thing they've ever done, having to save instead of spend, but now they have a house and a child, she told me it was all worth it.

Then there's the other cousin who has three kids and actually worked out she was better living off benefits than her and her husband working. Scum.

Not to put down what you did there because it is very commendable and all that, but when did you buy that first house? House prices in the last 15 years have a huge difference in affordability.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

That's nice and all, but most people are not as smart as nuclear physicists, and hanging them all out to dry isn't going to be good for society long term

I can make it on my own (barely), but I don't feel the weird hatred for people who can't, because while they can't do things that make enough money, they are mostly decent folk. The jobs they can perform have their place in society and I don't think they deserve to be paid slave wages. You're holding all this bitter poo poo about your cousin on benefits and it really has nothing to do with you, man

Pretty unpopular opinion for this thread :shrug:

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
late gen X'er here again, checking in here to say that if ya'll thought you had seen the worst with the millennials, then you're in fer a treat. just picked my nephew up from kindergarden (yes I am allowed to do this fuck_off) and it is Fastelavn, which is like a non-US version of halloween, so less pussified / PC, basically, the kids wear costumes like in the US but there is also a game where they compete to see who is the first to hunt down and kill a stray cat. well we've got Spiderman, Spiderman, Spiderman, Spiderman, Spiderman, Ultra Spiderman, Future Spiderman, Black/evil Spiderman (Venom, I belive), Iron Man, Iron Man, Hulk, Hulk and The bow+arrow Guy (someone didn't get to the store in time), all of them store bought. not sure what kind of cosplay we can expect future generations to do. say goodbye to custom big titty Samus Aran, big tity+rear end Cammy, hell, even gender-swapped big titty Team Rocket James. in the future, i imagine, hallooween is going to be one big fail of identical storebought spiderman costumes, but on the upside you can just not give them candy because nobody has the balls to kill your pets

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

If you're going to hunt feral animals, couldn't one kid dress as a big game hunter?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Grandmother of Five posted:

late gen X'er here again

The phrase "late gen X'er" is just code for "Millenial in Denial". I've been labeled a Millenial, I don't give a poo poo anymore. I'm older than dumb coddled kids and younger than cynical assfucks who hate everything but are too lazy and old to change it.

Didn't read the rest of your unreadable post :shrug:

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Zveroboy posted:

spending 4 years of your life studying nuclear physics in 2016 is pretty millennial.txt

BelgianWaffle
Aug 25, 2002
damn Belgian
33, I've been a home owner for over three years now. I am the sole owner so it is not "our" house but MY house.

It cost me both my arms and both my legs to buy the house and some sanity as well, to keep it I've had to learn how not to live.

I do own a nice car but that's my only vice.

things I have stopped doing:

-drinking
-smoking
-buying worthless plastic like videogames
-travelling
-going out

Now I'm a bit of a recluse without a fake social life, only talking to people who matter. I might be a bit unhappy, but goddamn I'll be unhappy under my own damned roof.

BelgianWaffle fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 8, 2016

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

BelgianWaffle posted:

33, I've been a home owner for over three years now.

It cost me both my arms and both my legs to buy the house and some sanity as well, to keep it I've had to learn how not to live.

-drinking
-smoking
-travelling
-going out

Now I'm a bit of a recluse without a fake social life, only talking to people who matter. I might be a bit unhappy, but goddamn I'll be unhappy under my own damned roof.

I was there once.

Every year things get more and more expensive, things in the house break, and I doubt your boss is going to come through with those big fat raises and promotions he's always bullshitting about at review time.

Being house poor sucks and will eat at you, it's not a tenable life.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
"I've had to give up on leaving the house or having fun or owning things or entertaining myself in any way but the daily crossword but dammit I own my own house."

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009

I was keen to slip into Gen-X as it sounds punk as gently caress, but this "jones" thing might fit ok actually

quote:

Key characteristics assigned to members are less optimism, distrust of government, and general cynicism

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

etalian posted:

plumbing can be hard work too like having to haul a dead water heater out of the building.

Plumbing will also permanently thrash your hands from all the chemicals you use. Plumber dude post a photo of the 45 year old you work w/ hands.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

"I've had to give up on leaving the house or having fun or owning things or entertaining myself in any way but the daily crossword but dammit I own my own house."

one medical problem and he'll lose the house all the same

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Internaut! posted:

spending 4 years of your life studying nuclear physics in 2016 is pretty millennial.txt

How's that? It's a useful degree that can get you a real job.

BelgianWaffle
Aug 25, 2002
damn Belgian

radiatinglines posted:

one medical problem and he'll lose the house all the same

I'm insured.

As if I'm going to bet my house on the risk of an employee status. My boss is my enemy.

BelgianWaffle fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 8, 2016

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

BelgianWaffle posted:

I'm insured.

lol

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

BelgianWaffle posted:

I'm insured.

As if I'm going to bet my house on the risk of an employee status. My boss is my enemy.

Here's a neat little article about how Joe Biden almost sold his house to pay for his son's medical bills but his boss was nice. Warning autoplayer http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/11/politics/joe-biden-barack-obama-financial-help/

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
As long as you think positive everything will work out in the end.

Bad things only happen to bad people, and vice versa.

Don't you guys know about karma?

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

BelgianWaffle posted:

33, I've been a home owner for over three years now. I am the sole owner so it is not "our" house but MY house.

-drinking
-smoking
-travelling
-going out

Congrats on buying a house you can't afford.

I'm a year younger than you and am also the sole owner of my house for the past 6 years and i have more than half the mortgage paid off already.

You are bad with money.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I own my own house and the mortgage was paid 2 years ago and I'm under 35. Am I one of the good ones?

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

BelgianWaffle posted:

-drinking
-smoking
-travelling
-going out

that sounds like a really satisfying existence, kudos

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Picnic Princess posted:

I own my own house and the mortgage was paid 2 years ago and I'm under 35. Am I one of the good ones?

You used really cheap credit to buy something you could afford the payments for.

Well done. You are a proper adult.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
i live alone in my own house. my only roommate is anger.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
We found all the cheap houses were in really bad school districts, which we care about because we want to start a family. Maybe that's not a common desire?

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
Great. here comes the millennial trolls once again, trying to tell the gen X'ers how everything isn't necessarily messed up despite white kids getting named stuff like "brayleen" when they don't even own big empty houses of their own to sit and cry in

Illavick
Sep 15, 2012

WHENA MINA RENA VATIVE
My actual no poo poo 100% real plan at this point is to get in shape and join the french foreign legion. I get food and shelter and hopefully can stash away what little pay I get until I'm discharged after 5 years and then use my nest egg to get a college degree in something not lovely. Or I can also work for some PMC or as a cop. Or I can live in the wilderness with all my survival skills and wait for the end of civilization. Or maybe in those 5 years the economy will have recovered somewhat. Or maybe I'll get horribly killed in a gun fight and then none of this will be a problem for me anymore.

It's a pretty solid plan if I say so myself.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Learn French and have prior infantry experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

From what I've heard, the french foreign legion is no joke and they'll send you to places that are dangerous as hell

you're probably gonna die

• Locked thread