Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Safety Dance posted:

My wife washed some bras tonight, so I ran a clothes line across the bedroom for them to dry. I didn't realize they'd be drippy, so I put some towels down underneath them.

Well, short, black, and shithead (pictured below) started sniffling around the towels, and then started attacking the water drops as they hit him. I love these cats.

It's a Cat Sith!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Goddamn today was slow.

And awkward. Several years ago a friend just dropped off the face of the earth - stopped talking to everyone, moved out of his house, etc - everyone just assumed the worst. Saw a familiar name on a delivery slip today, thought "eh, he moved out of that neighborhood years ago, and he has a really common name anyway". Nope, surprise surprise, he moved back into his old rental house. He was pretty surprised to see me (and I was surprised to see him). Didn't seem like he really wanted to reconnect, so small world I guess.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Does anyone else hear that 1 dude in the crowd screamibg WOOOOOO after every play? We are all cracking up.

That poo poo got on my drat nerves. It was as bad as the vuvuzelas.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

meatpimp posted:

What do I need to look for in buying a 2002 MR2 Spyder with ~40k miles? Any common problems/failures?

Insert 2GR V6 and enjoy 280 whp in a 2200 lb package. They're a goddamn riot.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Whoop Denver wins! Finally redeemed after that last super bowl showing where they threw it past the QB on the opening snap and Seattle ended up spanking us by 40 points or so.

They shut down downtown to prevent rioting. There was 1 couch on fire as of the last time I checked a news site. hehe.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

LloydDobler posted:

Whoop Denver wins! Finally redeemed after that last super bowl showing where they threw it past the QB on the opening snap and Seattle ended up spanking us by 40 points or so.

They shut down downtown to prevent rioting. There was 1 couch on fire as of the last time I checked a news site. hehe.

I enjoy poking fun at Colts fans who seem to think Manning is still their QB and some dude I don't even know threatened to kill me in a very public post before deleting it. So now I'm harassing him via PMs telling him i screen capped it and am going to the cops and he's having a meltdown.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

iwentdoodie posted:

Thanks. Its just loving ridiculous. Two friends in the past month, and 8 people in the last year. Accidents, suicides, and two who were fine and just dropped dead in their sleep.

And people wonder why I have a hard time being happy.

Edit: and every time just having to suck it up and act like nothing is going on, that doesn't help either.

Sorry for your losses man. Why do you think you have to suck it up and act like nothing is going on? Grieving is normal and nothing to be ashamed of.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
That game cemented that you can go all the way by having incredible defense and a reliable kicker.

1500quidporsche posted:

I legitimately tried to get into it last year and lasted three quarters of a game. It has to be a recent thing where they just stuff in as many commercials as possible. I mean jesus I love watching baseball and I struggled with the pacing of the game. I feel bad for you guys who grew up watching it and now have to deal with what it has become now.

Having a DVR has revolutionized watching football for me. You learn very quickly when they're going to cut to a commercial and when they're going to just film the teams standing around after a play, so you can skip forward appropriately to all the plays. And for the really exciting/clutch/unusual plays, you can rewind as many times as you like.

I think football is fairly easy to understand and appreciate. Does one team put together a play that advances the ball? Does the other team stop them? The downs and breaks completely reinforce the per-play nature of the game, which I like. Compare to rugby, which is so much more free-form and flowing, with much less specialization in positions and roles.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If someone edited together all the actual sport part I'd watch the Superbowl.

It's not like it'd be any big sacrifice to spend a single coffee break on it :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

I think football is fairly easy to understand and appreciate. Does one team put together a play that advances the ball? Does the other team stop them? The downs and breaks completely reinforce the per-play nature of the game, which I like. Compare to rugby, which is so much more free-form and flowing, with much less specialization in positions and roles.

It seems like it would be easy to understand, but a lot of people I run across that get bored with it don't really get what's even going on. When I was a kid I thought it was boring because I didn't get it. Baseball is even more in depth, and I have just recently begun to appreciate the skill and strategy involved and I actually enjoy sitting and watching an entire game now, even on TV sometimes.

I think soccer is boring as hell, but I suppose if I grew up watching it and knew everything about it I'd probably love that lovely sport.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

welp guess this spare router we had laying around is a hunk of poo poo, i was getting wonky loading and 999 ping spikes while gaming. disconnect it and i'm back to normal. gently caress.

i wanted wifi so my phone wouldn't suck data but i dont need it that bad.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

leica posted:

It seems like it would be easy to understand, but a lot of people I run across that get bored with it don't really get what's even going on. When I was a kid I thought it was boring because I didn't get it. Baseball is even more in depth, and I have just recently begun to appreciate the skill and strategy involved and I actually enjoy sitting and watching an entire game now, even on TV sometimes.

I think soccer is boring as hell, but I suppose if I grew up watching it and knew everything about it I'd probably love that lovely sport.

It really is just a matter of growing up watching a sport or being close with someone who watches it and will teach you the ins and outs.

My father's hugely into football, specifically Notre Dame. Not just a little "hugely," either. Until my mother made him stop in the early 80s, he would send honest-to-god Western Union telegrams to be delivered to Dan Devine on the field when they made a play he thought was boneheaded. So yeah, I watch football and I usually enjoy it because I know what's going on and why x, y, or z happened and what's likely to come next.

Same with baseball. My brother's a Braves fan and that makes me a Braves fan. I've never even been to Atlanta, but when he was growing up, TBS was where he watched baseball, so Braves it is.

I started getting in to soccer last year during the World Cup because some friends of mine insisted on watching a ton of it and explained some of the poo poo I didn't get.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

gently caress spending 3.5 hours for 12 minutes of actual playtime. At least AFL actually has sport happening most of the time.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Hockey, rugby, Aussie rules, gridiron, and football/soccer are amazing sports to watch and even better to see live

Watching the all blacks rocked my world and its the only team I care enough about to wake up in the middle of the night to watch and it's the only team gear that I pay through the nose to get since as far as I know I can't get it here in the states

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

literally a fish posted:

gently caress spending 3.5 hours for 12 minutes of actual playtime. At least AFL actually has sport happening most of the time.

Hyperbole bullshit.

[e] An NFL football game is 60 minutes with a clock that generally only runs between the ball being snapped and stopped. Yes there are time outs and commercial breaks but there's no shortening the 60 minutes they still have to actually play.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Feb 8, 2016

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

leica posted:

Hyperbole bullshit.

See, you can say that, but I'm not seeing any data to back it up. This seems pretty conclusive.

Even if all 60 minutes of clock time was spent actually playing the game broadcasts would still only be 30% actual gameplay, and there would still be more commercials than content.

E: ^^ The clock can run even when the ball isn't doing poo poo.

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Feb 8, 2016

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Haha, ok. Maybe I'm wrong or maybe that's bullshit, if you don't want to watch it don't I guess?

I enjoy it so whatev.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
American football is bad

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
From here

quote:

This is one of the most common misconceptions about football. 95% of football fans will say the clock stops when the ball goes out of bounds, just like your friends did. It’s not true. They are either avoiding a complex answer or they’ve never even noticed that it’s not true!

[snip]

There are three main possibilities for how the game clock is dealt with after a play ends.
  1. It continues to run
  2. It stops until the ref places the ball on the ground in the spot where the next play should begin
  3. It stops until the next play begins
[snip]

As a default, the game clock continues to run.

And the key point;

quote:

If a ball carrier goes out of bounds with the ball, the game clock temporarily stops. For most of the game, the game clock restarts when the ref places the ball on the ground where the next play will begin.

Note that's not when the play actually begins, but when the ref puts the ball down. There's a couple exceptions to this, but I won't quote the whole drat article. Article also links to the relevant NFL rules.

If you like it, you like it, sure, but that doesn't change the ridiculous ratio of playtime to not-playtime.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

literally a fish posted:

ridiculous ratio of playtime to not-playtime.

That's your opinion, and in my opinion, your opinion is bad :)

The NFL is the #1 sport in the US, I don't think it would be in that spot if it was ridiculous in any way.....The Super Bowl is a loving holiday here, you're from Australia right? It's ok, you don't have to get it.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

leica posted:

Fox News is the #1 news source in the US, I don't think it would be in that spot if it was ridiculous in any way...

Being the most popular doesn't make it good.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I didn't say that, lol.

I said if it was RIDICULOUS like you say it is, it would not be #1 and a BILLION dollar money making machine.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Read my post again.

Fox News is (still, as of March 2015, somehow) the #1 news source in the US and a BILLION dollar money making machine and it is, without exception, completely ridiculous.

Again. Being popular does not preclude being absurd. Being absurd does not preclude making ridiculous sums of money. Hell, dozens of questionable kickstarter and indiegogo projects bank on receiving ridiculous sums of money for the absurd/ridiculous and sometimes downright impossible.

Your logic is flawed.

:spergin: Also, it's being ridiculed/mocked, by myself and thousands of others, which by definition makes it ridiculous, what with the definition of ridiculous being "deserving or inviting derision or mockery; absurd." :spergin:

Doesn't stop people watching it. Doesn't make it worth watching.

E: Liking something doesn't prevent it from being ridiculous. I like a lot of ridiculous things.
Either way, you're going to like whatever you like, so I'm going to leave this here.
I'm in a lovely mood and I don't want to get banned over bloody NFL. Sorry I brought up the twelve minutes thing, AI.

E2: vvvvv
Yeah, I agree with this. A 60 minute game should be a 90 minute broadcast, 120 at most, not a 210+ minute one.
I have no issue with the sport itself, I just have an issue with the absurdity and theatre around it.

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Feb 8, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
American Football is awesome. The commercialized beast that comes with it is not awesome.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Please no football shaming itt (in this thread)

All footballs are beautiful

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Not those super deflated ones :getin:

If the play clock is usually 40s, and a play is something like 10s, I can see how 11min of 60min regulation play time is the action.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

corn in the fridge posted:

American football is bad

:agreed:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rhyno posted:

American Football is awesome. The commercialized beast that comes with it is not awesome.

There is nothing awesome about Gridiron. It's a sad pathetic pale imitator to real handegg - Rugby has more strategy, much faster play, constant hits and frankly the average NFL player would be dead in 10 minutes from exhaustion. The fact anyone in Australia tolerates this poo poo on any TV screen when we have any number of by any data point superior handegg games is loving mindboggling.

And you know what? If you got rid of the stupid time outs, IF you said you had to play the ball within 10 seconds of the phase being ended, you might actually have a game that is worth watching. There's a few very easy to adjust rules that would have this game not a complete laughing stock anywhere that Rugby is played, all around just simply speeding the game up and trying to shove more actual play into a half. Rugby League has some very specific anti time wasting rules so you see the game keep flowing beautifully. You want to slow the game down? Ref tells you to gently caress off and hands the ball to the other side, the crowd aint loving here to see you lying about and crawling back to your mark.

The best thing today was to see the food court have screens that werent being watched with the Superbowl while on the other side replays of the Auckland Nines were playing to rapt watchers.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
ah, the ever popular "American football is easy and that's why so many rugby players choose to make $32 australian dollars and a sixer of Fosters per game instead of being paid $Fucktons as they are the true sports purists."

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

There's a whole lot of arguing in this thread about watching millionaires run and throw on a field to make money for the billionaires that own the teams.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Can't be bad getting paid millions to play for 20 minutes...

On that note, how many players and substitutions are you allowed in dat dere 'merican footbaw? There seems to be dozens of people stood about doing nothing.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

88h88 posted:

Can't be bad getting paid millions to play for 20 minutes...

On that note, how many players and substitutions are you allowed in dat dere 'merican footbaw? There seems to be dozens of people stood about doing nothing.

Generally you can substitute as frequently as you want to. There is a limit to 11 players per side on the field at any time, but I don't think there's a limit to the number of players you have on the sidelines.

You've got your 2nd string (backup) players, your 3rd string behind them, maybe your practice squad comes to the superbowl as well. Plus all the trainers/medics/coaches that number in the dozens.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

This must be the designated AI menstrual point for February.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

This is certainly a blast from the 90's

I cant remember the last time that the liters went up faster than the dollars on a fuel pump! 18 months ago i was standing at Mt Dare Hotel pumping fuel that cost me $2.50 a litre!

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Oh good, "I don't watch this sport but I still complain about it" chat. :jerkbag:

iwentdoodie posted:

Aaaaand just found out a friend died in a wreck last night.

gently caress this year.

Jesus Christ. Sorry, man.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

ssjonizuka posted:

I hate posting stuff to sell online. CL, SA Mart, you name it. Now I'm going to obsessively refresh my email and the forums to see if there's any response. GIMME ALL YOUR drat MONEY.
Selling stuff sucks, agree completely. I just ignore the low ball text offers which ends up being at least 75% of them then another 20% are scams. Had a surprisingly smooth transaction selling a Kriega pack last week but the adjustable dumbbells I have listed get nothing but poo poo offers and scams. Listed the WR250x yesterday but it looks like a goon might be buying that which would be nice. 928 is going to be a pain in the rear end I just know it.

PaintVagrant posted:

I just got a sweet set of 16x7 alloy wheels for $75 on Craigslist from some nice old man. Had to drive 45 minutes but gently caress it, worth it.
Buying is usually pretty straight forward, have only had a few lovely experiences on the buying end. If you have cash and you're willing to drive and meet asap you can get some great deals. Picked up two brand new OEM E28 M5 wheels for $100 a month ago.

Looks chaotic, signed up

Safety Dance posted:

What the hell _is_ Cars and Coffee? I only ever hear about in with regard to people smashing their mildly expensive poo poo into solid objects / other people's cars.
Stand around in a parking lot looking at cars, usually with coffee and donuts. Then assholes do stupid poo poo leaving and wreck things. Fun for the whole family!

iwentdoodie posted:

Aaaaand just found out a friend died in a wreck last night.
gently caress this year.
drat, sorry man :glomp:

bandman posted:

Insert 2GR V6 and enjoy 280 whp in a 2200 lb package. They're a goddamn riot.
That would be so much drat fun and around here you can pick up a non-running MR2 for ~$500. I've almost pulled the trigger on doing 2GR MR2 or STI-powered 914 a few times then I realize I don't have space and I would get 95% done then it would sit for a year waiting for some minor stupid thing.

Think we set a new record for getting the systems back to production after a power outage yesterday afternoon even while running into some issues. I made the mistake of bringing in pizza for the 'power up party' and ate too much since I expected to be on site all night. Then we finish early and I have no appetite for all the amazing superbowl party food my friend made. Whoops

A couple good commercials but there's been better years for sure

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

What's the easiest way to find the ssid of a hidden wifi network from a Windows platform?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Who was the AI goon recommending the Ubiquity Unifi access points here? I need to pick your brain.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

meatpimp posted:

What's the easiest way to find the ssid of a hidden wifi network from a Windows platform?

WirelessNetView is pretty straightforward:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_network_view.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

meatpimp posted:

In other news, my mom has had a Maytag Bravo-something washer (same as Whirlpool Calypso, etc.) for years. Also, for years, it's made an abominable grinding sound. I told her she probably got a coin in between the basket and the tub. They had someone out to look at it a couple years ago and the service guy said that it was probably the transmission going and it's a huge job costing almost $500. They decided to wait until it stopped working.

Well, it stopped working last week and they got a new w/d set yesterday. I took the old washer to see if I could fix it.

God drat, appliances are so simple, modular and straightforward.

1) The repair guy was trying to screw them. There isn't even a transmission in the thing, it's a direct-drive motor on the bottom of the tub.

2) There wasn't a coin stuck, there were two nickels and a dime stuck. All showing the faces ground down since they had been used as bearing surfaces. :cry:

3) That upset the balance and fully hosed the bearings and the shaft.

The good news is that it looks like a common failure and the entire repair kit -- new shaft, new bearings, new seal, grease/glue, etc. is only $65 from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Whirlpool-W10435302-Bearing/dp/B00DM8L8DK

The bad news is that it supposedly "requires" a special tool to set the new bearings... at $100. gently caress that. http://www.amazon.com/Whirlpool-Part-Number-W10447783-TOOL/dp/B008DJQ62Q

I took good measurements of where the old bearings were set, and the top one bottoms out on a ridge, so I think I'll be fine hand-setting them the good old fashioned way -- with a properly sized socket and a hammer.

We'll see...

Remember thermal expansion is on your side here. Pry the old one off, put the shaft in the freezer and heat the bearing with a hair dryer till you can barely hold it, which is about 150-180 degrees depending on your pain tolerance. I bet it slides right on.

• Locked thread