Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bogan Krkic posted:

I'm actually insanely loving sick of 90% of goals being from poo poo crosses because the match engine is broken, leading to me having to find ways to plug holes in my team through analysing the ME and not through any sort of footballing logic

when's the next patch come out?

Don't worry I'm sure they'll fix the problem by making it literally impossible to score from crosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Nice, the board punted on expanding the stadium for a season so we're going to play a year in the Premiership with 5,047 capacity

edit: Set the Premiership record for lowest attendance with 2,500 in the season opening game (I forgot half the stadium isn't seated so it's even worse than 5,000)

Marquis de Pyro fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 7, 2016

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
The AI has decided that my player is worth exactly 99 million euros, and not a cent more, so they now spam me with 99 million offers and refuse anything more. When I refuse, they offer again a day later until the xfer window is over.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

did you try manually setting his value to, like, 150 million?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
There's an option to automatically decline offers under an amount.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
I found out today that the game no longer recognizes when you demote a player because of missing training. So, when he asked why he was dropped I had to back down because the other options made no sense. GOD drat IT

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 7, 2016

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Seems like this game's player interaction gets more and more batshit every year.

I love having people talk back to and even threaten me with transfer regularly.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I'm not going to play this till the next patch comes out. I normally don't buy it until now and now I remember why.

The match engine is hosed.

- I consistently concede from deep crosses to the back post. Neither my keeper nor my defenders look to intercept what so ever and it results in taps ins.
- I've beaten my reserves maybe three times in twenty plus games with a variety of created and downloaded tactics. What kind of realism is that?
- Fullbacks get retardedly high ratings and are making the most passes/key passes. This isn't right.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
I had to let Idrissa Gueye go because he couldn't get a work permit extension. I know I'm only Villa, but he's not even thirty and started almost every game for the last four years. This system is dumb.

Hopefully Gary Medel's legs have another season left in them because there's gently caress-all in terms of defensive midfielders around at the moment.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Ewar Woowar posted:

I'm not going to play this till the next patch comes out. I normally don't buy it until now and now I remember why.

The match engine is hosed.

- I consistently concede from deep crosses to the back post. Neither my keeper nor my defenders look to intercept what so ever and it results in taps ins.
- I've beaten my reserves maybe three times in twenty plus games with a variety of created and downloaded tactics. What kind of realism is that?
- Fullbacks get retardedly high ratings and are making the most passes/key passes. This isn't right.

Agreed, I've stopped playing until the new patch comes out and I'll start yet another game when it does.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

The game was 50% off this weekend so I bought it. I barely played 15 so I'm kinda excited to play a new FM. Any recommendations for transfer updates and other custom stuff?

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
God, it just drives me insane. They couldn't at least make them unstoppable bullet crosses rather than the pathetically swiped non-entities that go to the far post at 5mph while five different defensive players just stand there and watch it

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I've actually been seeing far less of the back post taps in the past few seasons. Now most of the dumb goals I concede are crosses or longballs near the penalty spot where the striker then scores an incredible volley into the top corner. The kind of thing that would be the goal of the month except there's one of them every game

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Just had a fantastic end to my first multiplayer FM16 season.

Bath, Weston-Super-Mare and Margate (me) are all human controlled. Final game of the season, Bath are 1 point clear over WSM at the top of the table and Margate are 5th with 3 teams 2 points behind them. WSM do the job and it comes down to Bath vs Margate.

Early on, I go 1-0 up but then quickly to 10 men. We hold out for a while but they pull it back to 1-1. The WSM manager is obviously supporting the hell out of me, but we drop a goal at 88 minutes and Bath win the title. Somehow, none of the teams behind us can capitalise and we make the playoffs.

Against Bath.

The first leg is a rout and Margate win 4-1, ending up 5-1 on aggregate. The playoff final against an AI-controlled Oxford is a dull affair, going 120 minutes without a key highlight. My keeper scores the first penalty, saves two and we go up.

Playing this multiplayer has been a little frustrating at times but overall has been a really chilled out, enjoyable experience. Definitely worth a go if you can round some people up on a regular basis.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

euroboy posted:

The game was 50% off this weekend so I bought it. I barely played 15 so I'm kinda excited to play a new FM. Any recommendations for transfer updates and other custom stuff?

Don't play it until the next patch comes out. Should be soon thankfully.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I'm going to keep loving this patch as long as Will Griggmania keeps running wild

I don't even know. Maybe 'places shots' is just that good

edit: I mean look at this guy

I almost sold him for 0 this past offseason after he tore his achilles and we were promoted, and bam he scores a brace in his first premier league start

Marquis de Pyro fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Feb 9, 2016

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Finally cracked the top six, pipping Spurs to fifth on the final day of the season to make it into Europe. The next day Benteke starts agitating for a move to a bigger club. The club in question? loving Reading.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I'm going to keep loving this patch as long as Will Griggmania keeps running wild

I don't even know. Maybe 'places shots' is just that good

edit: I mean look at this guy

I almost sold him for 0 this past offseason after he tore his achilles and we were promoted, and bam he scores a brace in his first premier league start

Places Shots is just that good, especially on any striker with decent finishing and composure and the other stats necessary to get in shooting positions reliably.

Basically your players are all idiots and will pick the worst shot possible 90% of the time. Places Shots forces them to choose a shot that's reliable (even if it's not necessarily the best shot in every single circumstance) so their shots actually go on target instead of getting blasted over the bar.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

vyelkin posted:

Places Shots is just that good, especially on any striker with decent finishing and composure and the other stats necessary to get in shooting positions reliably.

Basically your players are all idiots and will pick the worst shot possible 90% of the time. Places Shots forces them to choose a shot that's reliable (even if it's not necessarily the best shot in every single circumstance) so their shots actually go on target instead of getting blasted over the bar.

I'd always thought that places shots was far more preferable to shoots with power, but in my latest save Enner Valencia came back from injury, couldn't score in like 6 games from an IF position, and then injuries dictated he got a game up front. Proceeds to hit 22 in 24 with shoots with power and shoots from distance as PPMs, just loving smacking them past the keeper from everywhere

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bogan Krkic posted:

I'd always thought that places shots was far more preferable to shoots with power, but in my latest save Enner Valencia came back from injury, couldn't score in like 6 games from an IF position, and then injuries dictated he got a game up front. Proceeds to hit 22 in 24 with shoots with power and shoots from distance as PPMs, just loving smacking them past the keeper from everywhere

Yeah I've had the occasional player over the versions who did really well with Shoots With Power (Hulk used to be an absolute beast for this) or other Bad Moves like Shoots From Distance, but for the majority of players with those moves it makes them way less effective. On the other hand I've never seen a player get worse from having Places Shots.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I wonder if combining the two (presumably that'd have to be through the editor) would result in a player always picking the best shot and then smashing it unstoppably into the corner

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Just had a game against Peterborough where we tore into them from the start, had 3 good chances in the first few minutes, full back cocked up a clearance, gifting them a goal. A second horrific mistake from one of my CBs puts us 2-0 down in 10 minutes. Those 2 shots are the only ones that Peterborough get for the next hour as we relentlessly attack them, coming back to 3-2 up on 65 minutes. The team collectively poo poo themselves, ship 10 shots and 5 clear cut chances in the next 20 minutes, losing 4-3.

Assman advice: "We were really unlucky today, reassure the players".

NO. Where's the option for 'how the gently caress did you lose that'?

That advice always winds me up, nothing unlucky about not kicking the ball in the net enough times.

And that's followed up with a massively professional cup tie win against a Premiership Middlesbrough side boasting Christian Benteke :psyduck:

e: Very nearly hit peak FM there. In the 73rd minute 2-1 up vs Tranmere, having just made my third sub, my winger is put through on goal, opposing defender absolutely clatters him off the ball, breaking his wrist (2 months out) Tranmere start attacking up the flank he was on, my central midfielder comes over to the man in possession, has a slight nibble at him, very soft second yellow, I'm down to 9 men. Then I get a yellow injury to my sub LB, who is only on the pitch because the starter was forced off by injury, then my best CB is taken off injured. So I'm down to 8 men, one of whom is carrying an injury and I have a floaty attacking midfielder in central defence. Peak FM was averted because we somehow didn't concede twice in injury time and somehow won the game.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 10, 2016

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Another season, another transfer window spent fending off constant Spurs bids for Xherdan Shaqiri. The amount never changes, either, always £18m rising to £23m with add-ons, and they bid two or three times a week every transfer window. I've got him set to Reject All Offers but you've got to admire their determination.

At least we're now a big enough club that he hadn't complained this year. He used to throw a tantrum every August, calm down and sign a contract extension in September, then kick off again in January.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Another season, another transfer window spent fending off constant Spurs bids for Xherdan Shaqiri. The amount never changes, either, always £18m rising to £23m with add-ons, and they bid two or three times a week every transfer window. I've got him set to Reject All Offers but you've got to admire their determination.

At least we're now a big enough club that he hadn't complained this year. He used to throw a tantrum every August, calm down and sign a contract extension in September, then kick off again in January.

Accept it them cancel the deal after they've negotiated.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Meltdowns ahoy - Cleon (https://sisportscentre.com) and Rashidi (Bustthenet) have announced they're going to stop writing blogs about FM, citing a lack of affiliate support from SI. Good luck to everyone who'll try to figure out the match engine in FM 2017.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Cleon loves a good meltdown the whiny twat.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Yeah also Cleon is a great focal point for circle jerks and all but his strats are basically "keep it simple at first, watch the matches, then finetune based on what you see." there's little actual insight, although his wisdom about not having loads of TI/PI for no reason is definitely true.

It's true though that SI are arrogant dickheads, they were telling us a lot of snarky poo poo when we warned them about how hosed up fullbacks and crosses are in 16 for example. "It's your tactics mate" is not hyperbolic at all it's a real thing that hinders the development of the game.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 12, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Every piece of actual insight Cleon has had regarding the actual workings of the game has come directly from SI coders, so it's a bit rich for him to claim he's not getting enough support.

He gets more than the research team.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Yeah Cleon is a bitch.

Also you can never ever have a legitimate problem on the SI forums.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Fully sick gaming drama itt

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
"It's your tactics" is mostly the catchphrase of unpaid forum moderators desperate never to criticise the game for fear of losing their little position of power within the "community".

Actual SI employees are usually pretty keen to hear about bugs and weird stuff happening. Except Miles.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
Heh, lack of affiliate support is just code language for "we want paid".

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
That feeling when your predicted to finish 20th, 3k average attendance, lowest wage budget by 200k per week team gets consecutive draws with Manchester United, Arsenal (away), West Ham (away), and West Brom (3rd placed, a powerhouse in my world) leaving you in 13th place halfway through the season, and your team's morale plummets as the media starts questioning your terrible run without a win

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
That feeling when your board wants you to make the playoffs and are disappointed that you've only gained promotion :psyduck:

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Every single year I'll have two periods where I have to play every big team back to back and I'll have to pick morale out of the toilet after a run of draws/losses. No poo poo I haven't won in six, I've just played City/Arsenal/Inter/Chelsea/Inter/Spurs!

The worst is when it happens in September or March, either leaving me in relegation trouble and making morale even worse or hobbling me just before the finish line and tanking my run-in.

Why did they code this in? The thing where you're more likely to play a team in the cup ring after you play them in the league is fun, this is just artificial difficulty.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Also is it me or is scheduling pretty bananas. Whats that no games for 13 days then sat-mon-thurs no games for another 10. I'm playing in league 2 no one has millions of fixtures to calcualate round.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

mfcrocker posted:

That feeling when your board wants you to make the playoffs and are disappointed that you've only gained promotion :psyduck:

Paul Clement got sacked for this.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
I'm looking forward to the January update fixing nothing.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

I'm looking forward to the January update fixing nothing.

Just give me last years engine with this years database.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
One of my players went from "Accomplished" with my assistant giving him 1 star as a right back, to natural with my assistant giving him 4 stars in half a season. Didn't know it was that easy to get players up to natural in a position..