Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

jivjov posted:

Bad comparison. Episode VII is a new entry; a direct sequel. Not a "mish mash" or "remake" or whatever

It's both a direct sequel and a pastiche of the other films, which is done in film plenty.

I'm saying it isn't a remake the same way SFZ isn't a remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's a very similar film, and you should be able to recognize that.

Well, I would hope Star Wars Episode VII would be similar to Episodes I, II, III, IV, V, and VI.

Sakurazuka posted:

lol it literally has the same plot as A New Hope

I don't recall episode IV being about finding a reclusive Luke Skywalker,

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Do you genuinely not see the structural similarities between the two movies?

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

andipossess posted:

More important than Bat Within-which-you-can't-buy-yet-anyway, you should probably get the Air Dodge. My two cents.

Yup, the Air Dodge has absolute priority. Get that as soon as possible.

Also don't dodge five times in a row unless you want to be a sitting duck during a fight.

Louisgod posted:

oh my GOD

e: I'm serious when I say I really hate the type of Asperger's you have.

nice meltdown

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

jivjov posted:

Well, I would hope Star Wars Episode VII would be similar to Episodes I, II, III, IV, V, and VI.

Oh for gently caress's sake, dude. Replace "Luke Skywalker" with "Obi Wan Kenobi" and THERE YOU HAVE IT.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

congrats guys, you stumbled upon one of the other subjects that jivjov jivjovs about

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I know we're kinda low on news, but is this strictly necessary?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Let's keep it Nintendo and family-friendly up in this mothafucka

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Rexroom posted:

I know we're kinda low on news, but is this strictly necessary?

We should be talking about the "graphically intensive" PS4 3rd party game that has been confirmed for the NX. Yay Nintendo is going to get rear end Creed 18 or whatever they're up to these days.

Or Batman, Arkham Janitor.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Maybe they'll get Persona 5.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Interesting if true, I honestly didn't expect Nintendo to try a bleeding edge console again. Then again both of the other current consoles are a couple of years old now.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Healbot posted:

nice meltdown

What do you think a meltdown is?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah, it's similar. Doesn't make is a rehash or whatever.

Silver Falcon posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake, dude. Replace "Luke Skywalker" with "Obi Wan Kenobi" and THERE YOU HAVE IT.

Luke meets Obi-Wan like 15 minutes in.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Joking aside, the new Mirror's Edge re-imagining would be sweet.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Interesting if true, I honestly didn't expect Nintendo to try a bleeding edge console again. Then again both of the other current consoles are a couple of years old now.

Rumor has it the NX will be a cluster computer.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So when PS5 comes out you just plug a new module into your NX to match it, is that the gist?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Rumor has it the NX will be a cluster computer.
What does this mean?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
(jivjov says gently caress)

:aaa:

(jivjov starts talking about star wars)

:geno:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

jivjov posted:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

greatn posted:

So when PS5 comes out you just plug a new module into your NX to match it, is that the gist?

Could be. But it seems like the console draws processing power from the portable handhelds.

It means that it might be a console that shares a processing load with other consoles, FAU.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FactsAreUseless posted:

What does this mean?

Remember when the PS3 first came out and Sony said the CELL processor would be in everything and the more there were around the faster your console would get?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Remember when the PS3 first came out and Sony said the CELL processor would be in everything and the more there were around the faster your console would get?
Nope.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
All of Persona's fan base is on a Sony platform it's been that way for 20 something years now.

The only persona related game to appear outside of a Sony platform was Persona Q. And many argue that it wasn't a real persona game because it was a first person dungeon game and was also bad.

Also the Vita is certainly in a much better position than the Wii-U. It's much cheaper to develop for and the amount of anime games that make Tenacious D references greatly exceeds the number on the wii-u.

That and All the good Vita games can be played on the PSTV now and the PSTV is only 40 bucks at this point and you don't even need to buy a memorycard right off the bat. Seriously the system is cheaper than some of the games, Persona 4 Golden, Trails of Cold Steel, Ys: MOC, DR 1 and 2, the version of VLR that won't crash, etc. The 40 dollar entry bar is so ungodly low for such high quality games.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Feb 8, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I can find the Penny Arcade strip about it, if you'd like

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I can find the Penny Arcade strip about it, if you'd like

I wanna see it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

That sounds like a really dumb idea for any console.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

raditts posted:

That sounds like a really dumb idea for any console.

Yeah the detachable handheld thing proved to be a nightmare for the Neo Geo X.

It's a real bad idea especially if you lose the handheld part or break it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Thats a good gif

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
*sony releases standard traditional videogame console which goes on to be the best selling of the generation and exceeds all units sold from both Microsoft and Nintendo*

Nintendo Exec: Wait we can't make the NX a normal videogame system. Somebody add something cumbersome to it! Yes a detachable handheld that is central to the console functioning, set the launch price to 500 dollars!

*November 18th NX Launch Day*

Nintendo Exec: Wait how are we not selling units? Why are people buying 200 dollar PS4's to play DLC to Dark Souls 3???? The NX is well over double the price of a new PS4, that means it's certainly double the quality!!!!!

*the following year Zelda is the first Nintendo game to get a multi-platform release and the PC version mysteriously does not function*

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 8, 2016

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Can't wait for nintendo to publish a from software souls-style game about metroid

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Why doesn't someone ban taint reaper

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

FirstAidKite posted:

Can't wait for nintendo to publish a from software souls-style game about metroid

Looking at all the Nintendo cry babies who tried playing Monster Hunter and the first few hours of Xenoblade X, a Souls game would kill their fan base.

Nintendo people tend to shy away from difficult punishing games.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

Why doesn't someone ban taint reaper
His posts just skirt the line and make it hard to justify a ban for any individual post.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Guys, I agree with jivjov about Star Wars. Episode 7's similarities to Episode 4 mirror the cyclical nature of that entire story. Episode 1 -> Episode 4 -> Episode 7. Every sub-trilogy begins with a youth on a lovely desert planet who gets whisked off on a space adventure and becomes a Jedi.

It's disingenuous to argue that Episode 7 is a remake of Episode 4 with some characters swapped out because: it's not, and even if it were more similar, it's thematically very different. Luke really only starts having his poo poo together when they rescue Leia, and lacks agency outside of being usually the audience's point-of-view character, whereas Rey is basically in charge from the get-go, and only really compromises on her own decisions out of a sense of personal moral conflict. Furthermore, despite being the one who gets whisked off of a lovely desert world, she's more of a Han Solo analogue than a Luke/Anakin analogue, since she's the one who drives the bus and has the elevated survival instinct. There is no Obi-Wan here, unless you want to assign Finn as like a reverse Obi-Wan who keeps things moving accidentally by way of blundering into things... which really makes him more like a Good Jar Jar? I am not comfortable comparing Finn to Jar Jar because Finn is a precious treasure.

Anyway, I appreciated how all the rebel officers in Force Awakens wore a uniform that was just Han Solo cosplay. That is my Star Wars talk and jivjov defense Power Paragraph.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The Taint Reaper posted:

Looking at all the Nintendo cry babies who tried playing Monster Hunter and the first few hours of Xenoblade X, a Souls game would kill their fan base.

Nintendo people tend to shy away from difficult punishing games.

Mario Souls

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

This is the bonus worlds of Galaxy and 3-D World

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The Taint Reaper posted:

*sony releases standard traditional videogame console which goes on to be the best selling of the generation and exceeds all units sold from both Microsoft and Nintendo*

Nintendo Exec: Wait we can't make the NX a normal videogame system. Somebody add something cumbersome to it! Yes a detachable handheld that is central to the console functioning, set the launch price to 500 dollars!

*November 18th NX Launch Day*

Nintendo Exec: Wait how are we not selling units? Why are people buying 200 dollar PS4's to play DLC to Dark Souls 3???? The NX is well over double the price of a new PS4, that means it's certainly double the quality!!!!!

*the following year Zelda is the first Nintendo game to get a multi-platform release and the PC version mysteriously does not function*
hi taint reaper can you link me to the tumblr site where you c/p all your console warrior fan fiction from?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

It would be nothing but Star World from SMW and stages from Lost Levels.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

do you think that taint reaper believes all of the things that they post or do they just try to engineer posts that will get the most rise out of people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

FactsAreUseless posted:

facts no

• Locked thread