Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inzombiac posted:

I completely agree. Friends play at being normal, productive members of society but they are racists, homophobic and possibly sociopathic.

Sunny cast, at least, you know where they are coming from. Also terrible but... predictable?

This is the number one reason I love friends, and I hope that guy who watched every episode of Three's Company does another Blog about Friends, because someone needs to do a serious write up on how hosed up all those dudes are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Turtlicious posted:

This is the number one reason I love friends, and I hope that guy who watched every episode of Three's Company does another Blog about Friends, because someone needs to do a serious write up on how hosed up all those dudes are.

???
Mind linking that? Sounds interesting.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inzombiac posted:

???
Mind linking that? Sounds interesting.

Sure, but I was thinking Full House not Three's Company.

https://therealfullhousereviewed.wordpress.com/2010/03/13/season-1-episode-1-our-very-first-show/

It's still funy af.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Inzombiac posted:

Friends play at being normal, productive members of society but they are racists, homophobic and possibly sociopathic.

So it's realistic. Friends was back during a time when I didn't watch television so I might check it out on Netflix.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

wormil posted:

So it's realistic. Friends was back during a time when I didn't watch television so I might check it out on Netflix.

It is not realistic to have a gigantic flat in Manhattan(?) rented out by marginally employed baristas.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

syscall girl posted:

It is not realistic to have a gigantic flat in Manhattan(?) rented out by marginally employed baristas.

They make one throwaway line about how Monica got it from her aunt (?) And it is rent controlled.

I've never lived in Manhattan but it seems weird to have a MASSIVE apartment tat neighbors a tiny lovely one. I'd assume they'd be pretty uniform.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Usually each floor has the same floor plan so they match vertically, not horizontally. I live in a little studio and my neighbor has this crazy huge apartment.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Huh, I guess that makes sense. The only apartments I've lived in have been the open air motel layouts. Not a lot of stacked apartment buildings in Portland.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

syscall girl posted:

Lots of shows have main characters living in places they couldn't possibly afford.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

wormil posted:

Lots of shows have main characters living in places they couldn't possibly afford.

Yeah, I'm nitpicking. It's not even an original thought. Lots of people say that about Friends.

It does make me appreciate Workaholics, Always Sunny or Raising Hope a bit more though.

Not Two Broke Girls though, that is awful.

e: Malcolm in the Middle was also excellent for sitcom poverty

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

In one of the searches I found by accident that Netflix has ambient sound videos - like fireplace videos etc. That's fine I guess but then there's the "Oscilating Fan For Your Home" one which in itself is weird until it gets to the next level when you realize that it has...subtitles for the hearing impaired:

I feel like a monster but I did laugh at it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Palpek posted:

In one of the searches I found by accident that Netflix has ambient sound videos - like fireplace videos etc. That's fine I guess but then there's the "Oscilating Fan For Your Home" one which in itself is weird until it gets to the next level when you realize that it has...subtitles for the hearing impaired:

Goddamn.
That's pretty great if you need white noise to sleep and also... light. Uh. Maybe it's for fussy babies?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Here's several I've recently watched that were pretty drat good:

Beltracchi: The Art of Forgery is a documentary about one of the best fine-art forgers in the world. He would find holes in an artist's repertoire and paint something in that style. He fooled art critics, experts, collectors. He claims that some of his work still hangs in museums, still undetected as forgeries.

Cartel Land is a doc about the Mexican drug war, focusing on a grassroots Mexican vigilante group called the Autodefensas, and minorly on some crazy US vigilantes who basically just want to shoot brown people. Some of the descriptions by innocent Mexican citizens of what the cartels do when tribute isn't paid, etc. is loving heartbreaking.

Dark Star: H. R. Giger's World is yet another doc. Per the title, it's about H. R. Giger, going over his youth and spending a lot of time with him after his stroke until his death. Bonus points for Tom G. Warrior cameos.

Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films is a doc about the history of Golan-Globus and Cannon Films. If you've ever watched an '80's explosion/titty movie, a ninja movie, or Over the Top, you've seen a Cannon movie. It's so good, especially for the 10 minutes they spend out of nowhere in the middle making GBS threads on Sharon Stone.

Uncle John is a small but really well done movie about a man who murdered someone and his nephew who's trying to get a date with his new manager. It's really good.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Oldstench posted:

Uncle John is a small but really well done movie about a man who murdered someone and his nephew who's trying to get a date with his new manager. It's really good.

Seconding Uncle John. Also, Season 1 of Better Call Saul is on Netflix, and is very good.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Being Evel on Hulu (http://www.hulu.com/watch/886629). A biography of Evel Knievel, told through people who knew him throughout his life. Strange personal connection for me, as I'm from the same town, and my grandfather was on the hockey team. Told me once that Evel stole the equipment to buy a bike.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm looking for more Cutthroat kitchen.

The first 2 seasons are on netflix. Foodnetwork.com has a few of the more recent episodes. I can't find anything in between that though.

Anybody know where some of these might be hiding?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Why the gently caress does Triump The Insult Comic Dog have a special on Hulu

why is it about politically correct sjw millenials

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Watch Hannibal Burress' special on Netflix. It will make you feel better, maybe.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

Goddamn.
That's pretty great if you need white noise to sleep and also... light. Uh. Maybe it's for fussy babies?

I put these on when I study to block out the actual ambient noise of my flat block which is 90% screaming children and drum and bass. I can imagine people might use them for meditation and stuff too.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

For the same reason Jerry Seinfeld claims he can't do comedy at colleges anymore - the kids are all SJW politically correct whiners who don't grasp his edgy humor!

It seems like all the comics from the 90s just sort of ended up making GBS threads on SJW millennials. It's a running theme on Joe Rogan's podcast.

So basically, "they lost relevence, society moved on, they mad about it." I mean is triumph still even a thing on whatever show Conan's doing now?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I think the Triumph thing is probably tied to his NBC show, and the shtick got a bit tired anyway. Anyone who bitches about PC hasn't heard sets from Burress or Peretti or loving Burr in the last 2 years. They're stupid and old and just too lazy to learn a new audience

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

Every joke should probably be about PC SJW millennials.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Defghanistan posted:

Looks like we got a badass here

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006

Oldstench posted:

Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films is a doc about the history of Golan-Globus and Cannon Films. If you've ever watched an '80's explosion/titty movie, a ninja movie, or Over the Top, you've seen a Cannon movie. It's so good, especially for the 10 minutes they spend out of nowhere in the middle making GBS threads on Sharon Stone.

I really liked this one. Very cool story about the Cannon Films crew, though I thought it started out a bit abruptly. Not too much of an intro, just jumping straight into their story from the beginning. Other than that, it was really cool!

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Boywhiz88 posted:

I think the Triumph thing is probably tied to his NBC show, and the shtick got a bit tired anyway. Anyone who bitches about PC hasn't heard sets from Burress or Peretti or loving Burr in the last 2 years. They're stupid and old and just too lazy to learn a new audience

Counterpoint

Bill Burr is still loving funny

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Rough Lobster posted:

Counterpoint

Bill Burr is still loving funny

Pretty sure you misinterpreted the post.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Agent355 posted:

I'm looking for more Cutthroat kitchen.

The first 2 seasons are on netflix. Foodnetwork.com has a few of the more recent episodes. I can't find anything in between that though.

Anybody know where some of these might be hiding?

You can buy them on amazon steaming, I don't know if you can watch them with just prime though.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Defghanistan posted:

GBS is leaking

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Because every "edgy" comedian reaches a point where they're old and irrelevant and rather than aging gracefully they decide to punch downward so they can feel better about themselves. In Triumph's case that means getting college kids to say something outrageous so he can mug over it, which is so hackish that it was a staple on Jay Leno.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Palpek posted:

I was looking for... something one night and came across a set of test videos. The one I've got saved on my list is "Example 2 Hour 23.976 Remote." If you're into test patterns and poo poo, give it a go, it's pretty weird. (turn subtitles on, too)

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

RNG posted:

I was looking for... something one night and came across a set of test videos. The one I've got saved on my list is "Example 2 Hour 23.976 Remote." If you're into test patterns and poo poo, give it a go, it's pretty weird. (turn subtitles on, too)

Those example videos are the best. Do yourself a favor and go read the user reviews of them :peanut:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Hannibal Burress' comedy specials are on Netflix. Live from Chicago and Animal Furnace are way better than Comedy Camisado, but that ain't too bad either. Just not as strong as his first 3 released sets.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
After Netflix recommending it to me for well over a year, I got bored and checked out Longmire since I'd run out of british crime drams and korean horror action flicks and all the other poo poo I'm usually into... And it's really good.

Maybe it's because the first season of the show is super understated and nothing really hits stride until the second season (then whoa!), or maybe because I eventually have to watch Lou Diamond Phillips in everything he's in eventually (for some reason I really, really love Renegades) because he was a huge part of my 80s/90s action movie options as a kid. I'm not sure why LDP chose to speak like some wampum-trading chieftain from a bad western flick, but his character is solid, and the show is solid, and if you get to S2Ep6, you'll either be in love or never go back.

But yeah, I'd rather watch Longmire than The Shield - if for no other reason than there's (probably) no Kid Rock theme song in the opening credits of every single loving episode... Also most of the cops are likable people with believable conflicts and hangups, instead of just pistol-whipping bangers in the face while taking all their money and drugs.

A good show. I think The Red Road is trying to ape it with an edgier showing and less-likable police. But yeah, Longmire's pretty boss.. Reminds me of my grandpa, and my dad, who were too stupid and close-mouthed to let people know when poo poo was going down so they might totally end up dying on a mountainside from hypothermia, or letting peoepl think they murdered someone because they'd never figured out how to take off their ten-gallon hat and deal with their feelings..

I mean one scene in season 2 involves Longmire dying from hypothermia on a mountainside while a serial killer kicks the hell out of him.. He gets up off the ground, puts his hat back on, and only then gets back into the fight. :clint:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I started watching The Lizzie Bordon Chronicles and unexpectedly my daughter is into it as well --- hmmm. Christina Ricci is perfectly cast and is eating it up. Cole Hauser plays a mercenary with an addiction and obsession, why does that sound familiar? <rhetorical> So far I've only watched the prequel, Lizzie Borden Took An Axe, and two episodes of The Chronicles, but I like it. I like that she kills 2 people per episode (so far anyway), definitely an overachiever. Cancelled unfortunately but it doesn't seem like a show that you could drag out season after season for the money CR must be demanding.

Tried to watch Making a Murderer but only 10-15 minutes in and I'm struggling to stay interested. People rave about it so I'm sure it gets good.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

coyo7e posted:

Maybe it's because the first season of the show is super understated and nothing really hits stride until the second season (then whoa!)

Season 4 is by far the best season. Being made to be on Netflix instead of cable means each episode can be longer, and they aren't beholden to a case-of-the-week format. I think there's all of three investigations for the whole season. It's a show that likes to take its time and Netflix let them do that.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

wormil posted:

I started watching The Lizzie Bordon Chronicles and unexpectedly my daughter is into it as well --- hmmm. Christina Ricci is perfectly cast and is eating it up. Cole Hauser plays a mercenary with an addiction and obsession, why does that sound familiar? <rhetorical> So far I've only watched the prequel, Lizzie Borden Took An Axe, and two episodes of The Chronicles, but I like it. I like that she kills 2 people per episode (so far anyway), definitely an overachiever. Cancelled unfortunately but it doesn't seem like a show that you could drag out season after season for the money CR must be demanding.

Tried to watch Making a Murderer but only 10-15 minutes in and I'm struggling to stay interested. People rave about it so I'm sure it gets good.

It's a slow burn, much like watching Breaking Bad you have to wait for some of the pieces to fall into place before it really sucks you in.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

13Pandora13 posted:

It's a slow burn, much like watching Breaking Bad you have to wait for some of the pieces to fall into place before it really sucks you in.

BB wasn't a slow burn.

The problem with MoaM is the "victim" is a scumbag and I give no shits that law enforcement hates him. The interesting story is if they frame him but I don't know if I can get that far.

wormil has a new favorite as of 02:03 on Feb 19, 2016

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

wormil posted:

BB wasn't a slow burn.

The problem with MoaM is the "victim" is a scumbag and I give no shits that law enforcement hates him. The interesting story is if they frame him but I don't know if I can get that far.

Breaking Bad took like two seasons to be engaging instead of just curious. It was good, but kind of dull.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

13Pandora13 posted:

Breaking Bad took like two seasons to be engaging instead of just curious. It was good, but kind of dull.

You are entitled to your completely wrong opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Uhm, yeah no Breaking Bad was boring af until Season 3.

It honestly mostly floated by on the premise alone rather then engaging writing. Every plot point for a good while was seen coming from a mile away. It's most impressive feat was managing to pull an amazing show out of what was mediocre for most the day.