Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Seconding the thoughts that Brock is a bad bodyguard. Someone over at the old Adult Swim boards once brought this up. (Said boards have been replaced with one board to serve all of Adult Swim with no sub-boards for individual shows, because wouldn't it be great if SA were just one big list of threads? You know, like Reddit, but without all that annoying organizing into sub-Reddits?)

Yeah, Brock is better at killing than Hatred. But the fact of the matter is that the boys died around 14 times each under his "care." Sure, he might have toned his alert level down after he saw that Rusty had a few spares in the trunk, but at a certain point, maybe around the 5th death, you have to question his competency. Yes, even if many of the deaths were the result of the kids' stupidity. Hatred kept the last copies of Hank and Dean alive. That's impressive, even if Hatred did used to be a pedestrian.

Also, about the levels... at the time Monarch was arching Venture in the first few seasons, we know that Venture was a Level 1 threat. Lethal weapons were considered level 5, but I have a feeling that a Level 6 guy like Monarch, at least subconsciously aware of his arch's lesser status among his contemporaries, chose to go with Level 1 tactics to arch him. You know, things like tranq darts, non-lethal torture devices, and setting fire to shrubberies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

tarlibone posted:

That's impressive, even if Hatred did used to be a pedestrian.

Haven't we all been pedestrians at one point or anther?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

bull3964 posted:

Haven't we all been pedestrians at one point or anther?

You're thinking of 4chan.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Maybe it's just more accurate to say that Brock was a bad parent, because that's what the Ventures really needed. Rusty is a broken person, and he couldn't really raise two kids. The learning beds, Orpheus, and Helper can pitch in, but Hatred actually had care-taking instincts.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm happy to see Dean's common sense might try and avert the looming out of touch realities of Rusty trying to waste his good fortune.

Aqui-hiring Billy and White also seems like a possible good move, and not just from an ease-of-plotting standpoint.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Madurai posted:

Aqui-hiring Billy and White also seems like a possible good move, and not just from an ease-of-plotting standpoint.

I fail to see how acquiring the geniuses behind mouthwash mint chocolate chip cookies is a good move, but I'm willing to see where this goes.

I am so ready for more Pete and Billy.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
A computer scientist and a brilliant surgeon and neuro-geneticist seem like good hires for a new "speculative engineering" department, not to mention Rusty already knows them and how to work with them.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Red posted:

Maybe it's just more accurate to say that Brock was a bad parent, because that's what the Ventures really needed. Rusty is a broken person, and he couldn't really raise two kids. The learning beds, Orpheus, and Helper can pitch in, but Hatred actually had care-taking instincts.

I always thought the scene of Hatred trying to help emo-Dean was nice even if he had no idea what was going on :3:.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Actually, it's a "conjectural technologies" department.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They are good scientists and actually do create some decent stuff. They are good hires for Rusty.

Edit: Oh jeez. What if Rusty is all "I just wanted my shrink ray back, I don't want you two losers."

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
No, Billy and Pete are some of the only people Rusty is comfortable with and could consider a colleague. He even worked with them to try and outdo Orpheus's magic for their bet.

He might be petty about owning their patents, but he needs them.

Pope Guilty posted:

A computer scientist and a brilliant surgeon and neuro-geneticist seem like good hires for a new "speculative engineering" department, not to mention Rusty already knows them and how to work with them.

Plus, it's clear that Rusty wants to discover/create new stuff, not just do apps and stuff.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Looks like I got an email at 2:05 AM central time saying amazon put up the episode. I guess they wait three hours.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Actually, it's a "conjectural technologies" department.

"How can we make your Tomorrow better?"

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

JethroMcB posted:

"How can we make your Tomorrow better?"

The future is WOW!

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
It's not the Brook is a bad bodyguard he is just a better straight out assassin/murder-machine and Venture might have been a good place to stash him where he couldn't hurt anyone but keep him on the payroll.

Sadly those days are over.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Cojawfee posted:

Looks like I got an email at 2:05 AM central time saying amazon put up the episode. I guess they wait three hours.

They probably aren't allowed to put it up until it airs on the west coast.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

sbaldrick posted:

It's not the Brook is a bad bodyguard he is just a better straight out assassin/murder-machine and Venture might have been a good place to stash him where he couldn't hurt anyone but keep him on the payroll.

Sadly those days are over.

Yeah, bear in mind that the last thing Brock did before getting assigned to Operation Rusty's Blanket was, along with Hunter, run an op which
  • Failed to uncover the Guild, which OSI thought was a myth at the time
  • Resulted in the destruction of part of State University
  • Cost Billy Whalen an eye
  • Got Billy's predecessor, Stevie, killed

When Brock took over from Myra, he was regarded by the OSI as a fuckup.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I'm gonna take you on a nantucket sleighride.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nantucket_sleighride

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I might years late here now, but I just discovered Red Mantle and Dragoon were Buddy Holly and the Big Bopper.

This loving show.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I might years late here now, but I just discovered Red Mantle and Dragoon were Buddy Holly and the Big Bopper.

This loving show.

I sang, you just kindof spoke

I was inadvertently inventing hip hop!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

It was a really good reference, I appreciated it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Wide Wale is Dr. Doug Ongs brother. While they were on opposite sides of the fight in the end, they were still brothers. The Monarch killed Wide Wale's brother for no reason. Maybe Wide Wale is trying to go Sgt Hatred on Venture. He knows The Monarch wants to arch Venture, so he steals Venture away. He does actually intend to do damage but not anything too bad. He Busts into Ventech but doesn't really do anything. He steals that mask thing which is what Vatred and Brock planned on, but what else? The place was empty, he could have wrecked the place if he wanted to, but didn't.

Though I'm sure that will all change now that they released a polar bear into his building.

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014
I love that he puts on the hat to account.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I wonder if they killed Wide Wale off there though? I hope not.

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014
Also how many times is the monarch gonna kill someone else's background character.
Wonder boy!

Edit: goddammit i just got that Dean is wearing Peter parkers old outfit.

Fellbat fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 8, 2016

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Pick posted:

I wonder if they killed Wide Wale off there though? I hope not.

Nah, he ain't dead. Teaser trailer shows him grabbing and throwing Monarch. If anything that just makes Wide Wale think twice of screwing around. I bet you that's when he sends all the henchmen he has on Rusty to break him.

I bet Wide Wale probably maul'd that bear. Dude is huge.

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
So Monarch's dad had a Batcave. If that goon theory from last week wherein pre-Vendata Mr. Monarch was indeed that aqua blue masked guy from the key party in season 3, I'm gonna.... um.... have alot more faith in spergy goon theories?

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
This is still an excellent program. Wide Wale may be the best executed pun name in the whole series.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I watched the episode again, I think it's confirmed that Monarch is the new villain. The Monarch is talking to 21 and they say Redusa is probably going straight to Dr. Girlfriend to complain about being attacked and they need another method. With them immediately finding the bat cave right after, I think it's pretty clear that assuming a new identity and killing the people in his way is the other method.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

It's funny that the description says he has "a larger, possibly more deadly friend with him" because that applies to both the monarch and venture.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
I think Wide Whale is running a scheme on the guild to make money. He gets a cut from the Superheroes protection racket while using his influence with the guild to have the super scientists assigned to deadbeat villian who pose no threat. It's easy money now venture who is the big fish moves in and starts messing with the system. It also may be why Brock was sent back. It's some elaborate scheme by OSI to catch whale and his network who are trying to play the system.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's Wale, Wide Wale.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I did like the sperm whale tank design.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Cojawfee posted:

It's Wale, Wide Wale.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
it's a type of corduroy

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Pick posted:

I did like the sperm whale tank design.

His Lobster Henchmen too. Dude loves his theme.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They aren't lobsters, they are whale lice.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

They aren't lobsters, they are whale lice.

Even better.

I wonder if he knows The Monarch iced his brother in a fit of rage too?

Also, I thought I'd never see a Red Dwarf reference on Venture Bros. This is the thing that always cracks Brock up.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
waiting for the inevitable "fluke" pun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I forgot to sign up for the shirt club and I feel like an rear end in a top hat.