Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

the truth posted:

It's the opposite with EGTTR for me. The unbearably slow movement speed irreparably exacerbated the game's flaws and pretentiousness. Good moments, but not a good package.
Did you know about holding R2 to move faster?

I liked EGTTR pretty well at a discount price. It has some really great music and the mood conveyed through the voice acting and dialogue was eerie and melancholy. I hate how I missed the final scenes in some of the chapters (you can accidentally go ahead if you don't explore fully), but I saw them later on YouTube. The priest's scene is worth tracking down. If you piece together the proper order of scenes, the characters' stories end up being pretty deep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

Did you know about holding R2 to move faster?

Of course, but it hardly made a difference most of the time.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Policenaut posted:

So I see the "occasional imports" text in this thread title and I've decided to call your bluff. Can anyone here tell me what the difference is between the 500 yen PSN edition and the 2000 PSN yen/retail editions of Simple Series G4U Mahjong for PS4? I tried going to the official website (http://www.d3p.co.jp/simplePS4_mahjong/) but Google Translate won't translate the pictures that actually detail the differences in editions and I'm between computers so looking up this information on a phone is a pain to say the least. My best guess is the base game is just mahjong and the full package includes all the tournament stuff.

I wanted to get a cheap mahjong game to screw around with on my PS4 until Yakuza Zero comes out next year, and I'd like to get it digitally so the difference in editions will decide whether I blow $16 on a 1000 card or $42 on a 3000.

I think it's multiplayer and trophies. I got the more expensive version and it has been very very worth it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Huh, well multiplayer mahjong seems like a good idea. Now to find a game at 1000 yen to fill the gap on that 3000 card!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Is there any restriction on purchasing M-rated games digitally? Would it be entirely possible to buy Dark Souls III with my Japanese PSN account?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Training posted:

Is there any restriction on purchasing M-rated games digitally? Would it be entirely possible to buy Dark Souls III with my Japanese PSN account?

Unless it has a CERO-Z rating you'll be okay and that's very unlikely.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

In Training posted:

AFAIK the only restrictions which exist in any PSN territory, assuming you're not using a sub account, is buying CERO Z-rated games, but this is a heavy government restriction in Japan and any Japanese dev trying to sell a respectable number of copies of their title isn't going to release a CERO Z-rated game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CERO-Z is a really badass rating name.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

In Training posted:

Dark Souls III is rated CERO-D so there won't be any issue.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I believe the Onechanbara Z games were rated CERO-Z and still managed to do pretty well in Japan, but I can't say if that's an exception or something.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

the truth posted:

It's the opposite with EGTTR for me. The unbearably slow movement speed irreparably exacerbated the game's flaws and pretentiousness. Good moments, but not a good package.

Agreed. I wanted to wander off and explore more but after doing that a few times, finding absolutely nothing, then having to wander back at that insanely slow pace I decided to just follow the glowy thing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Takoluka posted:

I believe the Onechanbara Z games were rated CERO-Z and still managed to do pretty well in Japan, but I can't say if that's an exception or something.

It's not the kiss of death that an AO rating in the US would be but that's exception rather than the rule I think.
Tons of games get an 18 rating here and it's not considered any kind of detriment to sales.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

They don't really do well, they're just extremely cheap to make. Same as your senran kaguras and your bullet girls and so on.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I think a lot of violent American games like Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto are CERO Z in Japan. Not sure how well they do there though.

Also the Berserk PS2 game was CERO Z because you might as well not bother if it's not. :v:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

lets hang out posted:

They don't really do well, they're just extremely cheap to make. Same as your senran kaguras and your bullet girls and so on.

This. It's most common on translated U.S. games that are too gory for a CERO-D rating, plus killing innocent people consequence-free gets you an automatic CERO-Z so even Infamous: Second Son and Retro City Rampage have that rating. Japanese-made games tend to go out of their way to avoid the rating, though; there were even a handful of games where the Playstation versions were censored CERO-D versions while the Xbox versions were CERO-Z, and sometimes the Playstation Collector's Edition.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

univbee posted:

killing innocent people consequence-free gets you an automatic CERO-Z

I like this rule

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

lets hang out posted:

The Z and Z2 games had decent visuals and higher profile voice casts, so I feel like that's not as accurate as it used to be. Then again, I don't know how much "cheap" is when it comes to JP game development.

AOTKPTW
Nov 27, 2011

#nalPlE
What time do the stores update? Really keen on getting Firewarch as soon as it's available. I'm in the UK but have both a UK and US account.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Takoluka posted:

The Z and Z2 games had decent visuals and higher profile voice casts, so I feel like that's not as accurate as it used to be. Then again, I don't know how much "cheap" is when it comes to JP game development.

Oneechanbara as a series has an insane repository of stuff they continually reuse for each game, each new installment in the series is anywhere from 40-90 percent of the assets from the last one :v:

Even though the jump from Vortex/Revo to Z was the largest the series had made, all of the minor zombies/particle effects/significant chunks of the "new" environments are still recycled from the stuff they've been upressing since the PS2 days. That is definitely still a series that remains "cheap" to produce, true to its origins.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

If it ain't broke!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

If it ain't broke, you're not playing an Onechanbara game.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Whoa. Shiren the Wanderer 5 is getting an English enhanced release on PS Vita (and not on PS3/PS4) in July.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

univbee posted:

Whoa. Shiren the Wanderer 5 is getting an English enhanced release on PS Vita (and not on PS3/PS4) in July.

gently caress yes. I was not expecting this but will gladly buy it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

what type of game?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
They're pretty rouge like

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Policenaut posted:

Huh, well multiplayer mahjong seems like a good idea. Now to find a game at 1000 yen to fill the gap on that 3000 card!

Note: I haven't tried the multiplayer in it, so I don't know how populated it is. If you can't find people you can hit me up, though. I'm always down for some MJ.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

what type of game?

The Super Famicom one was sort of like Secret of Mana except a harder lean towards turn-based elements, and it's a roguelike (death reverts you to the start of the game at Experience Level 1, with limited avenues for carry-over between "lives".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

what type of game?

If you've ever played any game with Mystery Dungeon in the title you know the game. Shiren isn't the creator of the genre but it's very close to it. (The creator was a Dragon Quest spinoff that evolved into Shiren.)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

What the-- this I did not expect, but I'll be there to finally buy the one good roguelike on the Vita (that isn't Crypt of Necrodancer).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

AOTKPTW posted:

What time do the stores update? Really keen on getting Firewarch as soon as it's available. I'm in the UK but have both a UK and US account.

Same question here, want to play it asap. I'm in the us

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.

univbee posted:

... on PS Vita (and not on PS3/PS4)...
That seems like putting it in the Friday night death slot. Did the developers do something to anger Sony? :v:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

MisterAlex posted:

That seems like putting it in the Friday night death slot. Did the developers do something to anger Sony? :v:
I'm guessing Dragon Fin Soup went over like a lead balloon on PS4, and I can't remember the last similar thing they tried before that. Plus whether we like it or not Vita is now known as the third wheel with the goofy RPGs.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

CrashCat posted:

I'm guessing Dragon Fin Soup went over like a lead balloon on PS4, and I can't remember the last similar thing they tried before that. Plus whether we like it or not Vita is now known as the third wheel with the goofy RPGs.

Hmm, could be. I didn't know Dragon Fin Soup existed until it was a PS+ game; I did enjoy it at that point, though. And yeah... whenever a friend asks if s/he should get a Vita, I ask them if they like JRPGs... a lot. :p

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Yechezkel posted:

Some of the new things coming out next week, announced on PS Blogcast

Add in Level 22 to that list.

EU store had a small update, but Firewatch is not up yet.

Assassin's Creed Chronicles Trilogy is one file at 11.5 GB, not 3 separate games. There is no discount if you own any of the individual games.

Japan store:
3 free Kat PS4 avatar set from Gravity Rush, only usable on the Japanese account.

If I'm reading this right from the machine translators, avatar sets for Raven and Yunica are only available with Weekly Famitsu and Dengeki PlayStation magazines, if you're lucky enough to access all that.

PS Blog Japan confirms that PC/mobile game Downwell will come out on PS4 and Vita this year.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 9, 2016

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

Today's ballot day, right? Is that live yet?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

MisterAlex posted:

Today's ballot day, right? Is that live yet?

By ballot day, you mean "everybody's gonna vote Broforce" day? :negative:

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Firewatch and its cool dynamic theme are out, but it's a little cheaper to buy them separately if you have PS+.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Another Ubisoft sale :effort:

Please buy Watch Dogs, please!!

Is this a Wizardry Clone? https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/siralim/cid=UP1161-CUSA03062_00-PS4SIRALIM000000

Edit:
The theme to end all PS4 themes: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/themes/world-of-tanks-girls-und-panzer-theme/cid=UP0680-CUSA02724_00-UTH0000000007069

Harlock fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 9, 2016

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

the truth posted:

Firewatch and its cool dynamic theme are out, but it's a little cheaper to buy them separately if you have PS+.

Presumably only NA? I'm checking EU store and it's still maddeningly absent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

I watched that show with some friends a few months back. It was pretty funny, and I'd be down for a PS4 theme of it, but this implementation is pathetic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcruYjyay_s

• Locked thread