Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

queeb posted:

what's the code to allow other classes to use a weapon type? I think a SMG gunslinger would be pretty great.

I think DefaultCalssData.ini

code:
; corporal
SoldierRanks=(  aAbilityTree=(	(AbilityName="LongWatch", ApplyToWeaponSlot=eInvSlot_PrimaryWeapon), \\
								(AbilityName="ReturnFire", ApplyToWeaponSlot=eInvSlot_SecondaryWeapon) \\
Change ApplyToWeaponSlot to Primary instead of Secondary.

Obviously it would then also work with sniper rifles so welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

ZenVulgarity posted:

Sword rangers I found are really good early and kind of blow late

They work really well in pairs. Two late-game sword rangers are about 4x as good as one of them. Untouchable means they murder their way though pods and can't be touched by return fire.

Tenzarin posted:

I don't see the point of the conceal ranger. The perk that gives aim and crit if the ranger starts the ambush but I perfer to start all my ambushes with a grenade for the armor shredding and dmg to all. Overwatch really is hit or miss on the ambush because they get to dash right away.

Uh you shouldn't put them on Overwatch. They stay concealed so let them reposition and strike. And they can conceal themselves one more time if you're in a bad sitch.

I'm wondering how many of the "I don't like/understand why they did X with this class..." posts are people who aren't "getting" why they are the way they are. All of the high-end classes are incredibly, insanely good.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 8, 2016

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
What's the screenshot folder?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

I don't see the point of the conceal ranger. The perk that gives aim and crit if the ranger starts the ambush but I perfer to start all my ambushes with a grenade for the armor shredding and dmg to all. Overwatch really is hit or miss on the ambush because they get to dash right away.

I have also notice the computer will cheat and always move squads near what ever characters you move even though they cant see them. This makes solid snaking missions one of the worst idea because when you finally go loud like 3 pods will run in at you.

Phantom means your Ranger stays in concealment after you start an ambush, at least the first time, which is where Shadowstrike shines--it helps the Ranger just ruin a single nasty target after you've softened them up with the initial grenade. Conceal means your Ranger can help you set up another ambush later on, though I agree that Shadowstrike doesn't really help in that case.

LordNat
May 16, 2009
If they made it so Swords applied whatever the effect of your Ammo was then I can see it being worth having them able to miss. If you don't want to miss then you can toss on Tracer Ammo.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

sighnoceros posted:

Thinking of restarting. Just got my first Colonel (Jane Kelly from the tutorial) and she never gained a bonus ability from the AWC. My other highest-ranked guy is a Major sharpshooter, who learned Hail of Bullets, which seems super bad for a sniper that almost always has near 100% chance to hit. Plus my base is built all fucky because I had no idea what to prioritize at the start and the avatar project clock only has 1 pip left, I've already done the black site, and I've only made contact with 1 Alien Facility that I can even assault. It's "Very Difficult".

It seems like Resistance Comms are the new Satellite Uplinks and should be prioritized pretty fast. It's hard to find time to Make Contact when it seems like there's so much stuff to scan and then you get interrupted by URGENT MISSIONS!!! all the time. Should I just be ignoring a lot of those bonus scan opportunities that pop up after missions?

That shouldn't be possible re: Jane, the AWC skill is supposed to be guaranteed afaik. Maybe a bug?

A lot of geoscape scans seem like traps. 5 days for 50 supplies is not a good deal. Neither is a Scientist, really. Early game I focus my scan time mainly on things like making contact, engineers, avenger power, and gathering intel for more contacts.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

sighnoceros posted:

Thinking of restarting. Just got my first Colonel (Jane Kelly from the tutorial) and she never gained a bonus ability from the AWC. My other highest-ranked guy is a Major sharpshooter, who learned Hail of Bullets, which seems super bad for a sniper that almost always has near 100% chance to hit. Plus my base is built all fucky because I had no idea what to prioritize at the start and the avatar project clock only has 1 pip left, I've already done the black site, and I've only made contact with 1 Alien Facility that I can even assault. It's "Very Difficult".

It seems like Resistance Comms are the new Satellite Uplinks and should be prioritized pretty fast. It's hard to find time to Make Contact when it seems like there's so much stuff to scan and then you get interrupted by URGENT MISSIONS!!! all the time. Should I just be ignoring a lot of those bonus scan opportunities that pop up after missions?

That shouldn't be possible re: Jane, the AWC skill is supposed to be guaranteed afaik. Maybe a bug?

A lot of geoscape scans seem like traps. 5 days for 50 supplies is not a good deal. Neither is a Scientist, really. Early game I focus my scan time mainly on things like making contact, engineers, avenger power, and gathering intel for more contacts.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Speedball posted:

They're a mod weapon. They do slightly less damage but boost your mobility, so you get flanking shots more.

Oh, okay. I thought you guys meant they were part of the base game. They were really drat good in Long War in some situations.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

code:
AllowedWeapons=(SlotType=eInvSlot_PrimaryWeapon, WeaponType="sniper_rifle")
AllowedWeapons=(SlotType=eInvSlot_SecondaryWeapon, WeaponType="pistol")
I think you can do that individually to allow for each weapon type, like

code:
AllowedWeapons=(SlotType=eInvSlot_PrimaryWeapon, WeaponType="shotgun")
AllowedWeapons=(SlotType=eInvSlot_PrimaryWeapon, WeaponType="rifle")
AllowedWeapons=(SlotType=eInvSlot_SecondaryWeapon, WeaponType="sword")
Can you make SMGs a secondary wepaon? What about a pistol being the primary? I imagine you could.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

ZenVulgarity posted:

Wait a minute

code:
AlienHeadquarters_LoseModeDuration[0]=550			;Easy
AlienHeadquarters_LoseModeDurationVariance[0]=48
AlienHeadquarters_LoseModeDuration[1]=504			;Normal
AlienHeadquarters_LoseModeDurationVariance[1]=48
[b]AlienHeadquarters_LoseModeDuration[2]=320	[/b]		;Classic
AlienHeadquarters_LoseModeDurationVariance[2]=48
AlienHeadquarters_LoseModeDuration[3]=640			;Impossible
AlienHeadquarters_LoseModeDurationVariance[3]=48
Shouldn't the Classic variable be 620, not 320?

I WAS WONDERING WHY MY DOOM TIMER ONLY GOT 11 DAYS. I guess this explains it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

End Mission stats screen.

"Most Damage Taken: Mimic Beacon Decoy"

:getin:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RBA Starblade posted:

I just want them to hit the broad side of the barn directly in front of them with something other than their pistols.

Tempted to mod the game to make all shots at melee-range be at 100% chance of hit, but I guess that would make the ranger melee mostly useless. :v:

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Kenshin posted:

There isn't. I highly recommend picking up the Vulture perk as soon as possible to at least maximize your chances to picking them up as loot, it's well worth the 75 supplies early in the game to have plenty of cores to play around with for experimental projects throughout the campaign.
I got Vulture right after the Squad Size upgrade, yeah. It's been good, I'm drowning in weapon mods, I just feel like I'm having poo poo luck when it comes to Elerium Cores.

LordNat posted:

Elerium Cores are my biggest complaint about the game really. I wish they showed up on the Black Market. It just feels bad sitting there not being able to build anything in the Proving Ground.
Yeah, I want to play around with random experimental research, but the few Cores I did get have gone straight into the Skulljack upgrade, which feels pretty much required, and special armors, which are just guaranteed to be good and hard to pass up.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Broken Cog posted:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5xvwJtNpSVzajhJM3dHbFpfQTQ/view

Hopefully that link should work. Lots of random characters I just kind of spontaneously made, and some that was inspired from this thread.

Hopefully someone will be able to mod the character creator to be more flexible with the colours/etc. It's impossible to make a decent Commander Keen as it is. :arghfist:

Please PM this to me with a short description of what it is, I want to collect a couple of these for the OP.

Roboky gave me a "BOGAN Squad" pack that I've been having a ton of fun with. I know I get like none of the jokes but he did such a good job on the voices and faces that I can't help but giggle like a maniac while they're in action.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Harrow posted:

Phantom means your Ranger stays in concealment after you start an ambush, at least the first time, which is where Shadowstrike shines--it helps the Ranger just ruin a single nasty target after you've softened them up with the initial grenade. Conceal means your Ranger can help you set up another ambush later on, though I agree that Shadowstrike doesn't really help in that case.

So you keep them concealed in the front and trick them to run into shotguns? I have been using rifles on my assaults so they can shoot poo poo without have to take real risky rear end shots.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

64bitrobot posted:

I WAS WONDERING WHY MY DOOM TIMER ONLY GOT 11 DAYS. I guess this explains it.

I think it might be intentional. Legendary is exactly double the Commander setting, probably because of the double build times.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:

Soothing Vapors posted:

Yeah, I didn't even realize a skill was supposed to be guaranteed until I read about it in here. I'm assuming it's a bug.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ZenVulgarity posted:

Sword rangers I found are really good early and kind of blow late

We need lightsabers

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I want to make a Gunslinger class now

I also want to be able to mod secondary wepaons

Zaphod42 posted:

We need lightsabers

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=617731309

LordNat
May 16, 2009

ZenVulgarity posted:

I want to make a Gunslinger class now

I also want to be able to mod secondary wepaons

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=617731309

Make Pistols their Main weapon as well. Their class base ability to fire a shot from each Pistol if they attack as their first action.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Anyone found a ini value to increase mission drops? The ones with a yellow triangle that you have to actually pick up that is.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

LordNat posted:

Make Pistols their Main weapon as well. Their class base ability to fire a shot from each Pistol if they attack as their first action.

Yes

YES

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
I miss Dr. Vahlen

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Where can I get the Peter Van Doorn character? Doorn Where

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Dongattack posted:

Anyone found a ini value to increase mission drops? The ones with a yellow triangle that you have to actually pick up that is.

In GameDate

code:
TimedLootPerMission=1
StartingAdventLootWeight=1.0f
StartingAlienLootWeight=1.0f
LootWeightIncrease=0.5f
Probably this

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I was waiting until the last minute to do an avatar project. I have a lot of dudes, some ranked but only 2 at the highest level and 2 at the level below it. They were all fully healed but I got an urgent mission with 2 days on the avatar clock. I couldn't let anyone get injured! Imanaged (I never reload) to dominate a gatekeeper and use that to prevent my guys from taking any hits. I knocked out the VIP and started going to the exit point. I extracted everyone including my 2 psi guys a couple of turns early. The domination (I had looked it up before, 'for the duration of the mission) ran out since the mind controller was no longer there. I got 2 guys gravely wounded as a result, one top rank and second from the top. Looks like I'll be doing the easiest avatar mission, lol.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

So you keep them concealed in the front and trick them to run into shotguns? I have been using rifles on my assaults so they can shoot poo poo without have to take real risky rear end shots.

I keep them concealed and in position to flank when the ambush starts. Or, later in a mission, re-conceal and start an ambush with a well-placed grenade before the pod realizes the rest of your squad is there. Or, if that fails, repeat the concealed flank maneuver.

Shotguns stop being so risky when you have Implacable, Untouchable, and Rapid Fire. Rapid Fire from flanking about guarantees you a kill on most targets, after which you can run back to cover with your bonus move from Implacable and the first shot against you is guaranteed to miss thanks to Untouchable.

vvv Also, this. Thanks to Sharpshooters starting with Squad Sight, a Conceal Ranger can scout ahead and spot for your sniper far beyond what other soldiers can do without triggering a pod. With your sniper on a high enough vantage point and some careful stealth, you can do horrible things from far, far away.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 8, 2016

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tenzarin posted:

I have also notice the computer will cheat and always move squads near what ever characters you move even though they cant see them. This makes solid snaking missions one of the worst idea because when you finally go loud like 3 pods will run in at you.

Conceal rangers are spotters for your snipers.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

Shadowstrike is really meant to synergize with phantom. Start the ambush with your grenadier, then follow up with a ranger shot. The bonus applies when you're in concealment, not when you're waking up a pod.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

LordNat posted:

Also give them the ability to make a snap pistol shot and NOT have their turn end, so they can still move afterwards. But as a penalty snap shots are less accurate, like in the good old X-COM days.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

LordNat posted:

A gunslinger with a Superior Repeater-modded pistol.

:stonk:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Tokubetsu posted:

I miss Dr. Vahlen

We all miss Vahlen, she was xcoms greatest war criminal.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

A gunslinger with a Superior Repeater-modded pistol.

:stonk:

I think a fun thing was no mods but let each pistol independently have a different ammo type

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I am pretty sure hacking is bugged somehow. I've done like twenty hacks in a row where the best result had a ~60% rate of success and never got it once. I only managed to get one once, early in the game, so I suspect something you pick or are given, perhaps the skulljack, is to blame.

Also, if you start off the combat with a Haywire, the bot in question first activates and does the usual pod activation running thing and only then shuts down.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Been trying to mod things a bit, mostly to see what I can fiddle with just through .ini files, and I've hit a weird snag.

I've got a mod set up to change a bunch of starting values and costs in DefualtGameData, which is pretty easy to do, but one of them I can't get to stick. Specifically, I'm trying to make it so projects don't cost Elerium Cores. I figured out how to do this in the game files, there's a line in there, ProvingGroundCostScalars=(ItemTemplateName="EleriumCore", Scalar=1.0, Difficulty=0), that multiplies the cost by the Scalar value for whichever difficulty. Setting the Scalar to 0.0 makes it so they don't cost cores, although it's weird cause it's still listed in the game as costing 0 cores, and you still need 1 to have the project enabled, but doing it doesn't use up the core, so it works fine. The weird part is that, when I modify that value in the mod file, XcomGameData, instead of the internal game file, that specific change doesn't stick, and I honestly have no idea why, cause other changes in the same file work fine, like adjusting scalars for time. As far as I can tell, it seems like adjusting prices in a mod GameData file has no effect, while the same adjustments in the internal GameData file do.

Any less novice mod wizards have any ideas? Alternatively, will I need to actually download the 66 gigs of mod tools if I want to just change the values more manual-like, rather than using a scaling multiplier? I haven't found any records for tech tree or projects in the ini files that would let me just alter the pricing directly.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
Anyone use the steam controller? Any good?

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Anyone use the steam controller? Any good?

It's alright. I played for a bit with it, and my biggest complaints were that I couldn't get way points or zoom to work.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

We need lightsabers

Honestly, I just hosed around with the .ini and modded swords to have one point higher base damage than the shotguns of the respective tiers. That way there's a decent trade-off: Shotguns allow you fire from relative safety with good odds of a crit, require you to only make one move while often still having a distinct chance of missing. The swords meanwhile offer more dependable baseline damage on a wider variety of targets in return for leaving you more exposed.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Grapplejack posted:

We all miss Vahlen, she was xcoms greatest war criminal.

I hope we get an expansion. XCOM2: Argentina Friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordNat
May 16, 2009

ZenVulgarity posted:

I think a fun thing was no mods but let each pistol independently have a different ammo type

Replace the Pistols with 2 Revolvers, each one can have 1 Mod. They have a special Ammo slot (like the Grenadiers slot) and have the ability to have 2 ammo equipped. Main down side is they have to manage the ammo on both guns (6 shots each), one of their perk levels is the Option of a free Auto Loader on each gun or have the Reload option reload both at once.

One tree is focused on getting more shots and the other is weird special effects (themed as custom made ammo).
Have the end cap of one side be unloading all your ammo on random targets in your range at -10% hit, Up to 12 shots at full ammo.
Other side is a micro missile that has unlimited range and does a small AoE around the target.