Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Played 1889 again, this time with four. I'm not an expert but I think getting the two companies near Kotohira is pretty clutch and makes the Intial private a good buy. I had a diesel running for 72 a share by the end :getin:

After playing 1830 I can safely say this game is 1830 but smaller and with a shorter run time. A great one to print and play if you ever want to give 18xx a shot.

Durendal fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I want to thank Lorini for mentioning Food Chain Magnate. Thanks to her I looked into it early enough to actually get a copy! :ninja:

Bringing up games others have never heard of can be good :sun:

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 8, 2016

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Best Race for the Galaxy card found. You only get to use it once per game though. :(

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Best Race for the Galaxy card found. You only get to use it once per game though. :(

Because everyone looks at it and says "well, gently caress playing this stupid game any more"?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Jedit posted:

Because everyone looks at it and says "well, gently caress playing this stupid game any more"?

It makes sense once you've played enough. Without knowing what it actually does, it gives you the options for:

1) Draw 7, keep 2 and/or go through the deck for any one card of your choice (?)
2) -2 cost for developing
3) -3 cost for normal worlds and +2 military
4a) +3 cards when trading in any good and/or discard any two cards in your hand for one victory point each (cannot be doubled)
4b) Got me there. You get to do all your consume actions again maybe?
5) Draw three cards and/or produce a good on any windfall world.

Really comes down to whether the commas are a choice or if you get both options. Never seen the symbology for 4b or the second 1 choice so could be wrong on those.

But to be fair, I took one look at the prestige cards in the third expansion and thought, "No way am I ever gonna bother learning this."

e: And I won't argue the actual design choices for that particular card are pretty bad since it's not self-explanatory on the card itself. Once you nail down all the symbology, the game itself is pretty easy to understand (though it is definitely a major learning curve), since anything that's different is clarified on the card itself in text. There's no such explanation on this card for the two I'm muddled on, nor the context of when you actually play it and how you do it. I'm guessing it's an expansion shoehorning more complexity that doesn't really need more.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Feb 8, 2016

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Heavy Cardboard got some news on the new version of Arkwright. Apparently there are going to be some new modules, and one of them is a real stock market. Can't wait to play 18Factory! (I can dream that the stock market is like an 18xx right?)

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Mega64 posted:

Never seen the symbology for 4b or the second 1 choice so could be wrong on those.

I think the second symbol on 1 means you add the cards you pick up to your hand before you discard, allowing you to discard from things you already have in your hand.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Mega64 posted:

4b) Got me there. You get to do all your consume actions again maybe?

I believe 4b is an additional x1 multiplier on points, for a total of x3.

VVV Edit: Yay, I finally got something right!

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Feb 8, 2016

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Paper Kaiju posted:

I believe 4b is an additional x1 multiplier on points, for a total of x3.

That's correct.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Anonymous Robot posted:

drat, I'm interested in that, but to be honest I bought the original master set, got to play it once, and then the game came out on a phone app that played better for like 4 dollars and I felt a little burned.

Great news! Playdek isnt doing well financially! Who knows how long it'll take to release their 'flagship' titles, Twilight Struggle and a kick started RPG they scaled back on, pissing off their backers? They took years to release the first 16 factions, and that is when they had momentum. Updates for the game are going to be slow, if not nonexistent.

In short, if you pick up alliances, it is very unlikely you'll see those armies in the app anytime soon. Maybe if we are very lucky, we'll see a few second Summoners this year in the app.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Durendal posted:

Heavy Cardboard got some news on the new version of Arkwright. Apparently there are going to be some new modules, and one of them is a real stock market. Can't wait to play 18Factory! (I can dream that the stock market is like an 18xx right?)

I hope they make an upgrade kit for the first edition, I'll be a little annoyed otherwise.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Got in my first playthrough of Merchant of Venus that has been sitting in my collection untouched for a few months, mostly out of fear.

Holy smokes, we had a great time.

Played it with my gf and I was terrified that she would hate the theme and we'd be bogged down looking up rules the whole time but as we set it up (the footprint is huge, you need a big table) and went through the rules it was surprisingly quick and easy to learn. Also, the cartoony and goofy sounding goods and races helped us not take things too seriously. When we play again we I think we could cut down on the time length dramatically too. The art and components are top-notch, the gameplay is (mostly) intuitive, and when you manage to offload your cargo/passengers you get a real sense of accomplishment. If the set up wasn't so tedious it would be an easy choice to introduce people too.

So I write this as a message to any other cautious would-be-owners: don't be afraid, it looks worse than it is and it's pretty adorable.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Avalon Hill recieved a letter from a scientist with a PhD (who was also an Avalon Hill fan) complaining he couldn't understand the rules.

FulsomFrank posted:

Got in my first playthrough of Merchant of Venus that has been sitting in my collection untouched for a few months, mostly out of fear.

Holy smokes, we had a great time.

Played it with my gf and I was terrified that she would hate the theme and we'd be bogged down looking up rules the whole time but as we set it up (the footprint is huge, you need a big table) and went through the rules it was surprisingly quick and easy to learn. Also, the cartoony and goofy sounding goods and races helped us not take things too seriously. When we play again we I think we could cut down on the time length dramatically too. The art and components are top-notch, the gameplay is (mostly) intuitive, and when you manage to offload your cargo/passengers you get a real sense of accomplishment. If the set up wasn't so tedious it would be an easy choice to introduce people too.

So I write this as a message to any other cautious would-be-owners: don't be afraid, it looks worse than it is and it's pretty adorable.

Did you play the 'Classic' version or the Fantasy Flight version?

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

Broken Loose posted:

Also, they used the official app which fucks up the rules.

Uh oh. We're using the app. The only ~crossroads choice~ I had to make so far was whether to chase this band of people hunting us or leave them alone. I was really confused that choosing to hunt the hunters just forced me to roll the exposure die twice and that was it. Nothing else happened as a result. Also why does using some medicine at the Gas Station somehow cause clutter in the colony? How is this the #8 thematic game on Board Game Geek?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

LordZoric posted:

Uh oh. We're using the app. The only ~crossroads choice~ I had to make so far was whether to chase this band of people hunting us or leave them alone. I was really confused that choosing to hunt the hunters just forced me to roll the exposure die twice and that was it. Nothing else happened as a result. Also why does using some medicine at the Gas Station somehow cause clutter in the colony? How is this the #8 thematic game on Board Game Geek?
~Zombies~

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

This is probably the most intimidating single card I've ever seen. Probably not that bad if you actually play the game and understand the symbols, but just looking at it offhand :eyepop:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

LordZoric posted:

Because like the characters in zombie stories, the players start to get at each others throats as the game slowly wears down their desire to go on.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Zaphod42 posted:

This is probably the most intimidating single card I've ever seen. Probably not that bad if you actually play the game and understand the symbols, but just looking at it offhand :eyepop:

The graphic design and art don't help either. Yeesh. Speaking of bad iconography, Cthulhu Realms has some of the absolute worst. It's also a poo poo game all around, I managed an infinite combo in my second playthrough and the guy that owned it about flipped the table because he realized how stupid the game is after talking it up all based on the art, which is admittedly charming in a 90s cartoon way.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 8, 2016

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

disperse posted:

Did you play the 'Classic' version or the Fantasy Flight version?

The standard version, which I believe is the FFG. I'd be curious to try the classic but it looked like it added about a dozen more mechanics/hours.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Avalon Hill recieved a letter from a scientist with a PhD (who was also an Avalon Hill fan) complaining he couldn't understand the rules.

FulsomFrank posted:

The standard version, which I believe is the FFG. I'd be curious to try the classic but it looked like it added about a dozen more mechanics/hours.

I've only played the classic version but I believe the standard version is more complicated. At least I removed and put away a bag of components that were unused by the classic game. I've heard that the classic version is better but haven't played the standard version myself so can't confirm/deny that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bottom Liner posted:

The graphic design and art don't help either. Yeesh. Speaking of bad iconography, Cthulhu Realms has some of the absolute worst. It's also a poo poo game all around, I managed an infinite combo in my second playthrough and the guy that owned it about flipped the table because he realized how stupid the game is after talking it up all based on the art, which is admittedly charming in a 90s cartoon way.

That art reminds me of the men in black animated series, which is appropriate.

But yeah, the actual iconography is a disaster.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Zaphod42 posted:

This is a special one time use card that comes with one of the expansions that you would never even see before you understand what all the symbols mean (unless someone dives you in with expansions included). If you don't know what most of those icons mean by the time you see this card then you can barely play the game because almost every card has one or more of those symbols on it. You are also only choosing one of those lines to do, not all of them. Once you've played the game for a little bit the icons definitely do make sense (a card in a hand means "draw that many cards"), but I still have a hard time believing that was the best they could do.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 8, 2016

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Brink of War is just really visually overloaded in general, unfortunately. That card isn't so bad once you've played the game 5 or 6 times, since all the icons except 2 are standard and those 2 are pretty familiar.

The problem with that card is the player mat that comes with it that you need to pick certain options off of.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Mister Sinewave posted:

I want to thank Lorini for mentioning Food Chain Magnate. Thanks to her I looked into it early enough to actually get a copy! :ninja:

Bringing up games others have never heard of can be good :sun:

You are welcome! I'm getting The Golden Ages + exp and Far Space Foundry (found a reasonably priced used copy) this week. And this weekend is OrcCon at LAX Hilton, so I should have a lot to report on next week for you guys :). Hope to play Lignum soon as well.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

FulsomFrank posted:

I think the standard version is much better, and I still have my original MoV. Cleaner, faster, and more intuitive.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
If there are any goons who are within shipping distance of 401 Games in Toronto (might be all of Canada, I have no idea), there's a single copy of the game available for pre-order for $127.

Edit: Well, poo poo that disappeared quickly.

I'd get it myself but I can't get over how terrible that board looks. I'm playing it on boardgamecore and it looks like placeholder art because the devs couldn't get their hands on the actual board. Of course, this is not the case.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I know there are people who love it, but I loving cannot stand the iconography of RftG, and this card is just a perfect example of it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Its kinda like what you expect a robot to spout out in a speech bubble in a comic book.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Morpheus posted:

If there are any goons who are within shipping distance of 401 Games in Toronto (might be all of Canada, I have no idea), there's a single copy of the game available for pre-order for $127.

I'd get it myself but I can't get over how terrible that board looks. I'm playing it on boardgamecore and it looks like placeholder art because the devs couldn't get their hands on the actual board. Of course, this is not the case.

Not only that, but the good art on the cards is all royalty free clip art :lol:

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

enigmahfc posted:

I know there are people who love it, but I loving cannot stand the iconography of RftG, and this card is just a perfect example of it.

That card is a pretty bad example of the iconography in Race, though. It's not a card you would draw from the deck and have to decipher mid-game, it's a card to you start with in your hand of Role cards, which will be thoroughly explained before the game starts. And it's not something you'll see until you've played enough games of Race that you've decided to mix things up by adding an expansion three times. Anyone who would throw a new player into Brink of War is a monster.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

FulsomFrank posted:

...Really? No, the Classic version is far, far cleaner. No missions, no encounter cards or fame tracking or pirates, hazards that are straightforward cash losses rather than roll-to-not-lose-your-turn crap. No broken or absurd racial techs (seriously, gently caress the Fuzzy Dice). Also, the draw-cup based market is much harder to intentionally crash than the sequenced neutral-red-green markets.

Also, because the game is tied to a cash goal, rather than a fixed number of turns, the Classic game is actually much, much quicker. Granted, this comes with its own problems--namely, the game ends as soon as someone crosses the finish line, which can throw close games to turn order luck.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

If you don't play Race, it's not immediately obvious that this isn't a joke. Prestige Search is by far the best card in the game, because it lets you search the deck for a 6-cost development. Since the entire game revolves around drawing one of those infernal cards so you can actually figure out how you're going to score, having the ability to mine the deck for one is a godsend. The thing about Prestige Search is that you don't draw it-- everybody starts with 1 copy to use and it sits with your Role cards.

Of course, if you draw a 6-dev without using it, you now have a once-per-game super move card that can accelerate your already massive lead over the other players. Race for the Galaxy!

LordZoric posted:

The most infuriating part of the app is that it forces you to make all your Crossroads choices blind, while the manual clearly states that you know the outcome of each choice before making it. If you chased the hunters you might have gotten a character or some equipment or something, but god loving forbid you make an informed choice based off of what's better for your hive mind.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Broken Loose posted:

If you don't play Race, it's not immediately obvious that this isn't a joke. Prestige Search is by far the best card in the game, because it lets you search the deck for a 6-cost development. Since the entire game revolves around drawing one of those infernal cards so you can actually figure out how you're going to score, having the ability to mine the deck for one is a godsend. The thing about Prestige Search is that you don't draw it-- everybody starts with 1 copy to use and it sits with your Role cards.

Of course, if you draw a 6-dev without using it, you now have a once-per-game super move card that can accelerate your already massive lead over the other players. Race for the Galaxy!

The most infuriating part of the app is that it forces you to make all your Crossroads choices blind, while the manual clearly states that you know the outcome of each choice before making it. If you chased the hunters you might have gotten a character or some equipment or something, but god loving forbid you make an informed choice based off of what's better for your hive mind.

I know uninformed choices are kind of lovely, but if the results actually made any sense I'd like blind cross-road cards that acted like a morality system.

Refugees arrive at your door, what do you do?

Accept them. You get more colonists and your needs go up.
Refuse them. You lose morale as you know you've doomed them.

(I don't know something like that)

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Broken Loose posted:

Consider that "nothing happens" is an option in about 80% of the cards (and usually it's the best option), I'm happy they actually make them do anything at all. It would be better to make the drat things have two equally interesting and lovely options, but this is Plaid Hat Games we're talking about.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Morpheus posted:

Quiche Games should be getting some copies in this week too though no idea how many. I pre-ordered a couple weeks ago and she said they may have a few extra copies on hand but most will go to pre-orders, so keep an eye on their site cause they may have a few available tomorrow or Wednesday.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Gutter Owl posted:

...Really? No, the Classic version is far, far cleaner. No missions, no encounter cards or fame tracking or pirates, hazards that are straightforward cash losses rather than roll-to-not-lose-your-turn crap. No broken or absurd racial techs (seriously, gently caress the Fuzzy Dice). Also, the draw-cup based market is much harder to intentionally crash than the sequenced neutral-red-green markets.

Also, because the game is tied to a cash goal, rather than a fixed number of turns, the Classic game is actually much, much quicker. Granted, this comes with its own problems--namely, the game ends as soon as someone crosses the finish line, which can throw close games to turn order luck.

Good to know, I'll give it a shot next time. The checks against laser/shield/captaining was kind of bullshit and I lost a lot of time from my own stupid decisions to investigate dangerous places early, but I still felt like the new rules were very quick and that pirates were only a problem one time.

Yas
Apr 7, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I always hear people complain how Race is exceptionally hard to teach, but I've not found that the case. Is it specifically in teaching it to non-gamers or is there something about a symbol like (eyeball +1), in the row associated with "Drawing cards", that is incomprehensible?

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Broken Loose posted:

Except there are a ton of 6-dev in the deck and getting one without the support is pretty much useless. Getting an extra Consume tick (even at the cost of a Prestige) or a huge discount on building something is pretty strong, as is Searching for a multiple-consume-outlet (though that one's difficult because it might give you color-specific consume on occasion which is a pain in the rear end). 6-dev being broken is specifically a Rebels vs Imperium issue because of how many ones stack, by BoW there were enough powerful standard cards (though Uplift Code remains the best card in the game if you have any support, probably) that weren't 6-devs to pad out the deck (Galactic Power Brokers, Pan-Galactic Research is a 6-dev but not really, Federation Capital) and get you pretty solid cards in general. The problem is that sometimes you might just...not see something, because bigger deck = clumps of whatever, which is what Search is an awkward solution to fix.

As much as I like BoW, it's definitely the weakest format from a balance standpoint because of the size of the deck (though I think Base+TGS+RvI is the most boring), but "6-devs are too game-critical" isn't really one of those reasons.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

gently caress that stupid card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Is the "classic" Merchant of Venus the Avalon Hill one?