Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

But seriously why is it in the past two years there's been a lot of media that is just huge lovecraft references?

Did people finally realize that it's an audience that loves when their stuff gets referenced?

I've never actually read any Lovecraft, but isn't that pretty ironic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
I can't think of much in the last two years?

Did you think Bloodborne was like the first Lovecraft referencing game?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elyv posted:

I've never actually read any Lovecraft, but isn't that pretty ironic?

Smidge.

RubberJohnny posted:

I can't think of much in the last two years?

Did you think Bloodborne was like the first Lovecraft referencing game?

I just really like Bloodborne okay? It was A Big Deal™

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Didn't Kenny come up with phrexian mana?

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Snacksmaniac posted:

No, that was a late replacement for one of Ken's wacky ideas

e: I think it was the BFM mechanic

Barry Shitpeas fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 8, 2016

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

When Ken Nagle inevitably overloads his graveyard set with graveyard hate, the graveyard hate will have synergy with Processors. Another victory for inter-block planning!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Snacksmaniac posted:

Controversial opinion-- Phyrexian mana was cool and good except for being on a counterspell. Birthing Pod's text box was going to be a problem even if you hadn't been able to speed it up a bit at the cost of life, though I concede that having the option was a little bit of extra gasoline on the fire. And Dismember/Probe are just fine.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

When Ken Nagle inevitably overloads his graveyard set with graveyard hate, the graveyard hate will have synergy with Processors. Another victory for inter-block planning!

Hahahaha, I didn't even realize this. They're giving the graveyard set to the person whose graveyard hatred is so great it's a meme. :pcgaming:

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Lovecraft has had a pretty steady if not rapid growth over the last fifteen years or so. Not too weird there is an ok amount of mainstream references now.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

JerryLee posted:

Controversial opinion-- Phyrexian mana was cool and good except for being on a counterspell. Birthing Pod's text box was going to be a problem even if you hadn't been able to speed it up a bit at the cost of life, though I concede that having the option was a little bit of extra gasoline on the fire. And Dismember/Probe are just fine.

Hahahaha, I didn't even realize this. They're giving the graveyard set to the person whose graveyard hatred is so great it's a meme. :pcgaming:

I mostly agree, but I hold reservations about Mutagenic Growth - it's the sort of card Development always needs to keep the corner of its eye on. It's not overpowered in itself, but there's always the case of Infect or a similar mechanic abusing it to go over the top.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Wowwww, Eldrich Moon is the worst set EVER!!!!!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
This is the Games Workshop death thread, right?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Incredibly surprising that in an age of information, the thing people are most interested in is the inherently unknowable. Might be why we get a lot of Lovecraftian horror out and about.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 8, 2016

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Barry Shitpeas posted:

No, that was a late replacement for one of Ken's wacky ideas

e: I think it was the BFM mechanic

the BFM mechanic was soulbond 1.0 I believe, which isn't imo a bad mechanic altho the limited environment it was introduced in was not at all equipped to handle it

and I think phyexian mana is pretty okay on cards like Gitaxian Probe and Gut Shot, heck even Dismember is a good card to me, really the only super broken one was Mental Misstep which was rightly banned anyway

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

It really is Bloodborne: The Gathering.

No complaints here.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Alris posted:

No complaints here.

Yeah same. Better than goddamn power rangers on zendikar.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Yeah same. Better than goddamn power rangers on zendikar.

The worst part about Power Rangers theme is that they didn't go full on henshin heroes.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Star Man posted:

This is the Games Workshop death thread, right?

The good parts are like that, yeah.

Alris posted:

No complaints here.

I love bloodborne but if we don't get any insta-kill creatures then it just won't be the same. I want creatures killing me on turn 2! (That are NOT Eldrazi)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ramos posted:

The worst part about Power Rangers theme is that they didn't go full on henshin heroes.

Karn should have shown up and gave them the old mechas Urza built

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Given nahiri is a lithomancer, and the moon is a bigass rock, I seems safe to assume she's gonna gently caress it up.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Most of the Phyrexian mana sticks to the artifact colour pie, which is fine. Misstep, Mutagenic Growth and Dismember are the problematic ones. Dismember isn't particularly degenerate, but it is the most efficient black removal despite not actually requiring black.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Wurzag posted:

Given nahiri is a lithomancer, and the moon is a bigass rock, I seems safe to assume she's gonna gently caress it up.

She's gonna try writing her name on the moon but the power rangers will stop her half way through. But next time we go back to Innistrad whenever you see the moon in the background of art it will still say TAM on it.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Wurzag posted:

Does this mean a chance for a Chewbacca themed Sorin death? gently caress yeah, I want to see Nahiri do a Seismic Toss.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Most of the Phyrexian mana sticks to the artifact colour pie, which is fine. Misstep, Mutagenic Growth and Dismember are the problematic ones. Dismember isn't particularly degenerate, but it is the most efficient black removal despite not actually requiring black.

You could always make a card that e.g. did a very black effect and have it cost (B/P)(B/P)B.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Ramos posted:

They WERE double-faced cards.

I mean they literally couldn't TRANSFORM, but... :negative:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Birthing Pod is, bar none, the best card design I've seen since I started and my favorite card in Magic.

Nothing else comes close, it's a Starcraft building style of Artifact that's strong, flexible, and very, very playable, and that's rare.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

Birthing Pod is, bar none, the best card design I've seen since I started and my favorite card in Magic.

Nothing else comes close, it's a Starcraft building style of Artifact that's strong, flexible, and very, very playable, and that's rare.

Yeah they'd probably put it at mythic if they reprinted it.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Entropic posted:

You could always make a card that e.g. did a very black effect and have it cost (B/P)(B/P)B.

They never did that though, because being able to use off-color Phyrexian mana cards was the whole point of Phyrexian mana. They were meant to be halfway between colored cards and colorless artifacts.

The problem is that unlike Shadowmoor monocolor-hybrid cards, Phyrexian mana is cheaper if you don't use the right color, not more expensive. So instead of paying a premium for an off-color effect, you actually get the off-color effect cheaper than that color itself ever gets.

I don't think Dismember needs to be banned, but it's pretty dumb that the best black removal doesn't require black at all.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Yea, the problem with dismember is mainly that it is way too good, same with mental misstep. They just overestimated the value of 4 life.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Entropic posted:

She's gonna try writing her name on the moon but the power rangers will stop her half way through. But next time we go back to Innistrad whenever you see the moon in the background of art it will still say TAM on it.
:golfclap:

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Wurzag posted:

Yeah all this "Emrakul is on Innistrad!" stuff MIGHT be true, but it's more likely (as in it's confirmed) this is "Nahiri Strikes Back!" block. Which is good because gently caress Sorin. The Moon ties in to the Madness angle, because the Moon has long had associations with madness and insanity.

I think they are gonna slow roll Emrakul in another block. They have to do their Legion of Evil at some point now that they have their superfriends established.

What are the odds we get a new Tibalt? Jace, Lilly, Sorin, and Nahiri are almost certainly going to take 4 out of the 5 planeswalkers spots. (Unless Nahiri is Avacyn thing is true, then she'll be a legendary creature) Which means we have to settle for either a Tamiyo or Tibbers. And Tibbers might actually be good in a set with Madness.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

TheKingofSprings posted:

I 100% agree with you and every time a card like it has to be banned, I feel bad for the earnest Johnnys who can't have their nice things.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

anglachel posted:

Yeah all this "Emrakul is on Innistrad!" stuff MIGHT be true, but it's more likely (as in it's confirmed) this is "Nahiri Strikes Back!" block. Which is good because gently caress Sorin. The Moon ties in to the Madness angle, because the Moon has long had associations with madness and insanity.

I think they are gonna slow roll Emrakul in another block. They have to do their Legion of Evil at some point now that they have their superfriends established.
how do you see a set called "Eldritch Moon" and think there are no eldrazi in it

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

Totally agree with you. It's my favorite card of all time. I was really sad when it was banned in Modern.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I dunno, if there's a plane that I can see randomly having its own home-grown eldritch horrors, it's Innistrad.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
character angry her plane was used to imprison eldrazi wants to get revenge another dude with his one plane. zero chance she does the same thing to him. nope. none at all

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Lancelot posted:

how do you see a set called "Eldritch Moon" and think there are no eldrazi in it

Because something being up with the Moon was hinted at in the first Innistrad block?

born on a buy you posted:

character angry her plane was used to imprison eldrazi wants to get revenge another dude with his one plane. zero chance she does the same thing to him. nope. none at all

I think the odds of us seeing an Emrakul or Eldrazi card are pretty low. Though Nahari being the Planeswalker version of Kalitas for Emrakul could be a real thing.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Lancelot posted:

I don't think there are necessarily eldrazi in the set because Eldritch is not a word that Lovecraft invented, and Eldrazi are not direct lovecraft monsters, and while their name is intended to invoke that word Eldritch is totally a high-falutin' enough word to be applied to non-lovecraftian horror, especially if you are a fantasy game who has terrible fiction pushed out on the reg that frequently misses popular context of words (Thugz and Bugz most recently). I think there is a non-zero chance that despite loving Lovecraft, the ELMO team would have missed that they were making the implication that eldrazi were involved and be legitimately shocked that people thought they were going to be there.

I would personally hope Emrakul shows up in the background but I don't think they're going to show up as creatures.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Demolish variant that was leaked looks very eldrazi-ish.

It exiles and involves reality distortion.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

anglachel posted:

Because something being up with the Moon was hinted at in the first Innistrad block?

The moon had all sorts of things going on with it. Transforming werewolves, being theorized to be made of the moon silver the church used with its weapons (which I might add is really super effective against anything monstrous), it shot loving lasers. Also something about unnatural lunar cycles?

I wouldn't be surprised to find out the Innistrad moon is like the globe entities from Destiny. Literally living.

Sigma-X posted:

I don't think there are necessarily eldrazi in the set because Eldritch is not a word that Lovecraft invented, and Eldrazi are not direct lovecraft monsters, and while their name is intended to invoke that word Eldritch is totally a high-falutin' enough word to be applied to non-lovecraftian horror, especially if you are a fantasy game who has terrible fiction pushed out on the reg that frequently misses popular context of words (Thugz and Bugz most recently). I think there is a non-zero chance that despite loving Lovecraft, the ELMO team would have missed that they were making the implication that eldrazi were involved and be legitimately shocked that people thought they were going to be there.

I would personally hope Emrakul shows up in the background but I don't think they're going to show up as creatures.

Yes, but Magic runs off of pop culture and eldritch = Lovecraftian bullshit at this point. And Eldrazi are Lovecraftian bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ramos posted:

The moon had all sorts of things going on with it. Transforming werewolves, being theorized to be made of the moon silver the church used with its weapons (which I might add is really super effective against anything monstrous), it shot loving lasers. Also something about unnatural lunar cycles?

Can't believe you'd talk about moons shooting lasers and not mention the legacy weapon.

Moons are cool.

• Locked thread