Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Take whatever you like really.
Had a Marauder in 4th slot in loving Alpha Lance on saturday...

I mean, I already do play pretty much whatever I want. My motivation in asking is basically selfish, though - if I come underweight, I don't want to be giving up tons to the other team and hurting my own chances to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Supraluminal posted:

I mean, I already do play pretty much whatever I want. My motivation in asking is basically selfish, though - if I come underweight, I don't want to be giving up tons to the other team and hurting my own chances to win.

I think its traing to match on a mech-by-mech basis, tonnage wise.
Doesnt look like its really matching classes, the discrepancies in tonnage would make this absurd - which doesnt mean its NOT like that.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Random Number posted:

Like, I was never explicitly taught about the radial damage indicator, but it just clicked intuitively since its the same as other games. Are pubbies (and a huge amount of goons) really that tunnel visioned/dumb? I have trouble believing this is most people's first fps.

One factor is that getting grazed in the back are poor shots on your team is common enough to be assumed, by the time you realize this is somebody alpha-ing into your behind instead of a pubbie failing to not shoot their team you have often already lost all of your rear armour. It only takes what, six seconds to put three volleys into somebody with most weapons and likely kill them? Not responding at all is kind of dumb but it is very easy in an assault to to find yourself eating two alphas to the back because you assume it is just some idiot who cannot aim properly clipping with stray laser fire and you are already fighting somebody in front of you.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Pubbies are the best

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Supraluminal posted:

How does the matchmaker assemble teams in the solo queue these days? It clearly isn't enforcing the old 3-per-weight-class thing, so does it balance teams by total tonnage? Basically I want to know if the same incentive to bring a heaviest-in-class mech still exists or if I can run a Cicada or whatever without feeling like a drain on the team.

Matchmaker is a complicated system of animal sacrifice, sweaty moobs, and some numbers.

Bring whatever you want, you can't bring a team down unless you suck really really really badly.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

ZenVulgarity posted:

Pubbies are the best

controversial

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Stringbean posted:

Matchmaker is a complicated system of animal sacrifice, sweaty moobs, and some numbers.

Bring whatever you want, you can't bring a team down unless you suck really really really badly.

And if you're brand new who cares, tier 5 is a wonderful place

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Doesnt look like its really matching classes, the discrepancies in tonnage would make this absurd - which doesnt mean its NOT like that.

Well, this is why I'm asking. As far as I remember, it used to work exactly like that. Every team was strictly 3 of each weight class, and I'm 90% sure there was no attempt to match tonnage.

Hopefully it's better now, but then again :pgi:. Guess I'll eyeball the team comps in a few matches and see if I can tell what it's doing.

Stringbean posted:

Yeah, I know it's not a big deal. Just one thing to think about when shopping for new mechs. It does seem like quirks help to mitigate the whole issue, too, which is nice. One of the actual mostly-smart things PGI has done.

ZenVulgarity posted:

And if you're brand new who cares, tier 5 is a wonderful place

Can confirm this. I'm not brand-new, but for whatever reason when I came back after probably a year or more of not playing I found myself in tier 5. Now I'm not a great player by any stretch, but I still get to feel like a God-drat hero in about 50% of matches. Kind of regretting the fact that I'm now right on the cusp of moving up to 4.

Supraluminal fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 8, 2016

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
why isn't there melee in this game

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Farecoal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K2QF70H2hc

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

I wondered why they pulled knockdowns out and left us with janky teleporting madness in its place. I wish I could hear his comments in their meeting the next day :allears:

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

ZenVulgarity posted:

Pubbies are the best

Kharnifex and I had someone threaten to find out where we live and bomb our houses then bulldoze them to the ground. That really wasn't even the worst of their rage. Unfortunately, we touched the poop a little and this man has some very serious issues.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Farecoal posted:

Because PGI hasn't figured out how to make elbows work.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
Crushing my Hatchetman dreams.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
You could do melee if you just treated the hatchetman's axe like one of those spring-loaded boxing gloves from the cartoons
Just give it a range, a cooldown time, whatever and treat it like a very short ranged gun

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Tujague posted:

You could do melee if you just treated the hatchetman's axe like one of those spring-loaded boxing gloves from the cartoons
Just give it a range, a cooldown time, whatever and treat it like a very short ranged gun

You're thinking too small. An Atlas needs to be able to straight up kick the leg off of a pesky light that's running around it like an rear end in a top hat. That's true Battletech Melee.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I feel like an Atlas kicking a light would cause the light to explode

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yes. Don't run SRMs without Artemis.

Also, if you're going to put an XL in a 3M, I'd probably do this instead: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=128&l=4b783ad7fb2326545788513b81004899f669b395

Not running max CT armour on anything is crazy.

You might be able to get rid of the two engine heatsinks for more SRM ammo, depending on how fast you run out of ammo/how fast you feel heat builds up.

I ran one round with the artemis and SRM4s and it wouldn't lock on to anyone. Like artemis was a waste of money. I was resorting to dumb firing these rockets. If I'm a shotgun build why do I need a missile lock?

I'll be using the stock XL engine until I get everything else right and yeah I upped the rear center torso armor because that 0 looked ridiculous to me.
Wait I just noticed the XL spills into the side torsos. Can you not lose a side torso when using an XL engine?

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe

Supraluminal posted:

Can confirm this. I'm not brand-new, but for whatever reason when I came back after probably a year or more of not playing I found myself in tier 5. Now I'm not a great player by any stretch, but I still get to feel like a God-drat hero in about 50% of matches. Kind of regretting the fact that I'm now right on the cusp of moving up to 4.

Don't worry, there are still plenty of idiots in tier 4

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Krinkle posted:

I ran one round with the artemis and SRM4s and it wouldn't lock on to anyone. Like artemis was a waste of money. I was resorting to dumb firing these rockets. If I'm a shotgun build why do I need a missile lock?

I'll be using the stock XL engine until I get everything else right and yeah I upped the rear center torso armor because that 0 looked ridiculous to me.
Wait I just noticed the XL spills into the side torsos. Can you not lose a side torso when using an XL engine?

What?

Artemis makes SRMs have a tighter grouping. 400 damage spread to 5 different parts isn't as effective as 200 damage only on the CT, which is what artemis helps with.

If you lose a side torso with an inner sphere XL engine your mech goes boom. If your guns have 'C-' in front of them, you can't change your engine, or you have omnipods you are not inner sphere btw.

Drythe fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 8, 2016

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Artemis gives you faster missile lock on the LRMs and it wasn't letting me have any missile lock with SRMs so I had no idea what it did. I didn't know about the spread.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Only streak SRMs (Streak-SRM or SSRM however this dumb game lists it) have lock on.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Krinkle posted:

Artemis doesn't provide locking capability for regular SRMs. It dramatically reduces their spread, which is very worth it.

Losing a side torso with an IS XL engine will kill you. Clans can lose one side and live (but take penalties to heat and mobility I think); losing the other will kill them too. Whether the increased fragility is a good tradeoff for the weight savings depends on a zillion factors, like mech hitbox layout, the role you're going to use it in, pilot skill, etc. etc.

Marijuana Nihilist posted:

Don't worry, there are still plenty of idiots in tier 4

Oh, I'm sure. Not too worried about it, and actually there are good things about playing with better players too.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Also if you're going to lose most of your combat effectiveness from losing one torso, all the XL going boom on you really does is save you from being a popsicle.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Supraluminal posted:

I've been playing in a lot of 3 and 4 man groups lately and if you go heavy with 3 assaults, your team will frequently end up with 5 or 6 assaults and you will steamroll the enemy team over and over.

This is why goon groups lose more when they get bigger, you end up facing teams with more tonnage, and bigger groups also means facing much more competitive teams.

Tujague posted:

They are not even capable of changing animations, you think they can put in some sort of melee animation? They can't even design good maps for gods sake.

Washout fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 8, 2016

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
What's the best mech if I wanted to go full anti-LRMs? I remember seeing a Nova build in here with 3 AMS which sounds fun as hell.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Washout posted:

I've been playing in a lot of 3 and 4 man groups lately and if you go heavy with 3 assaults, your team will frequently end up with 5 or 6 assaults and you will steamroll the enemy team over and over.

This is why goon groups lose more when they get bigger, you end up facing teams with more tonnage, and bigger groups also means facing much more competitive teams.

They are not even capable of changing animations, you think they can put in some sort of melee animation? They can't even design good maps for gods sake.

I've noticed this a lot myself. I pilot a lot of mediums, as do my lancemates. We keep getting stuck on teams with only one or even no assaults, against teams with four or more.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Oh Snapple! posted:

Also if you're going to lose most of your combat effectiveness from losing one torso, all the XL going boom on you really does is save you from being a popsicle.

Only if it's the wrong torso. If you're good at twisting, you should be losing your less-useful side first almost every time.

On another topic: Granted that Catapults are currently bad robots, does anyone have any K2 builds that they like? I have one sitting around from a mastery pack and given that I have the others all elited I may as well mess with it. About all I can see is to make it into Yet Another LPL Boat, which the Jester is better for anyway. Dual Gauss is now clearly the domain of the Jager. Maybe its only use is as a funsies PPC platform after all.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That Gobbo posted:

What's the best mech if I wanted to go full anti-LRMs? I remember seeing a Nova build in here with 3 AMS which sounds fun as hell.

Unfortunately, AMS are garbage. Just pick up something with ECM.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

That Gobbo posted:

There is a kit fox variant that has ECM and 3 AMS with AMS quirks, along with the AMS modules it will pretty much defeat any LRM system and can also reduce the damage from Streak SRMs a bit. But then you are a kit fox.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
All these robots with fists and I can't actually punch other big robots? :wtf:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

The Repo Man posted:

There is a kit fox variant that has ECM and 3 AMS with AMS quirks, along with the AMS modules it will pretty much defeat any LRM system and can also reduce the damage from Streak SRMs a bit. But then you are a kit fox.

You can do that with a nova too

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
The mech we deserve:

The (I poo poo you not) Axman.
Come on :pgi: get your poo poo together.

Stringbean fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 8, 2016

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Stringbean posted:

The mech we deserve:

The (I poo poo you not) Axman.
Come on :pgi: get your poo poo together.

for real a melee pack with the Axman, Hatchetman, Berserker and ... Scarabus (for a light?) would keep PGI in the black for years

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

That Gobbo posted:

Watch this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNf8nCeDaEE

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Pattonesque posted:

for real a melee pack with the Axman, Hatchetman, Berserker and ... Scarabus (for a light?) would keep PGI in the black for years

Ditch the light just put a Morpheus in. That's like a light.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

lmao I'm making this

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Drythe posted:

In TT, yes, but because people complained that they died too fast when 8 mechs shot them at once, it would just be a mild inconvenience to a light in MWO.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

If the idea of an ECM spider with a hatchet doesn't sound like the best thing ever, something has to be wrong with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Drythe posted:

On the other side, in the tabletop game, I've seen a Locust ram into an Atlas and knock him on his back. The Locust exploded, but still.

high six fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 8, 2016

• Locked thread