Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Takoluka posted:

Etrian Mystery Dungeon
Huh. That one passed me by entirely. It looks almost dead on like PMD, at the risk of a derail what did they change? Looks like it still has the "trail of idiots" problem, maybe even more so than PMD, though. Stupid companions that get caught on stuff really try my patience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

CrashCat posted:

Huh. That one passed me by entirely. It looks almost dead on like PMD, at the risk of a derail what did they change? Looks like it still has the "trail of idiots" problem, maybe even more so than PMD, though. Stupid companions that get caught on stuff really try my patience.

It very much has the trail of idiots problem, it implemented the material system of the EO games really badly and lategame equipment is a horrible rng grindfest, and some of the new systems are just not good at all.

It just tries to hamfist EO mechanics into a mystery dungeon and bungles it really badly and is just a really boring slog in general

Junpei Hyde posted:

So this one is an actual good roguelike for the Vita, yes?

Shiren is pretty much the only MD series I actually really like

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Don't get Etrian Mystery Dungeon. The EO thread can tell you the specifics (like arbitrary elemental weaknesses per class, except the ones where they were too lazy to give weaknesses to) but long story short it's a poorly-made badgame.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
edit: oh right, i'm an idiot

Reco fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 8, 2016

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

SweetBro posted:

This is a terrible argument mate. Chrono Trigger is pretty much hands down better than any final fantasy game ever made with maybe the exceptions of 3/6.

Likewise Saint's Row does the open world sandbox formula so much better than GTA. Even in terms of plot. The later GTA games are dumb games that pretend to be smart, and SR are smart game's that pretend to be dumb.

The whole loving point of my post was that implying that only one game of each type should exist is stupid. I agree with you on both points, but I also think we should be free to have many games who attempt the same genre in different ways.

Policenaut posted:

Guys, stop shouting at each other! We're getting Shiren the Wanderer 5 Plus overseas!

http://gematsu.com/2016/02/shiren-wanderer-5-plus-coming-north-america-july-26

Hahaha, oh my god. My wife went to the trouble of buying me two games for Christmas for Vita that I'd officially given up on ever getting localised. She wanted to get a special treat for my nerd arse.

Those games were God Eater 2: Rage Burst and Shiren 5 Plus.

I'm sorry dear :(

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wish I had a wife who would import Japanese only vita games for me

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

The White Dragon posted:

Don't get Etrian Mystery Dungeon. The EO thread can tell you the specifics (like arbitrary elemental weaknesses per class, except the ones where they were too lazy to give weaknesses to) but long story short it's a poorly-made badgame.

Hivac posted:

They never tell you about this either, folks only found it once they started picking the game apart

That part was actually me misreading the data. It only applies to the NPCs you find in dungeons. The rest of the game though? Oh yeah, that's a stinker.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

In Training posted:

Wish I had a wife who would import Japanese only vita games for me

Yeah I recommend it.

Also I forgot to say: both God Eater 2 and Shiren 5+ are really good, please buy them both. They're both getting retail releases too, which is pretty awesome.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Policenaut posted:

Vita is getting a new ClaDun game: ClaDun Sengoku.
http://gematsu.com/2016/02/cladun-sengoku-announced-ps-vita

The "teaser video" is a bit of a troll, unless you really like mildly generic chiptune music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mj8k3aCrCY

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Not on Vita. :smith:

That said, what's the deal with the PSP Yakuza games? Are they available in the US? Are they any good?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

None of them are available in the US and from what I hear they aren't as good as the main games.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

thorsilver posted:

Hahaha, oh my god. My wife went to the trouble of buying me two games for Christmas for Vita that I'd officially given up on ever getting localised. She wanted to get a special treat for my nerd arse.

Those games were God Eater 2: Rage Burst and Shiren 5 Plus.

I'm sorry dear :(

Thank you for your sacrifice :rip:

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Awesome on Shiren 5 Plus, definitely looking forward to that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Shiren the Wanderer is very loving good and you should play the DS or Wii ones we got if you're interested.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Holy poo poo!

First God Eater, now Shiren. Now we just need the Dragon Quest Builders announcement and there might be something to talk about this year besides moe bullshit!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I can always respect somepne who sacrificed money for a game to come over seas like that. Something like a third of my Japanese Vita imports eventually got localized.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

We salute the heroes whose noble monetary sacrifice ensured we got good videogames in a language people can read. It is a Vita of a good time to be alive.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

thorsilver posted:

You're seriously the only person I've seen react to this game like this. It looks like Yakuza meets Kenka Bancho which is awesome as gently caress.

i don't know very much about any of these games but i do know that there are good and bad times to use slo-mo in games and that gif definitely looks like one of the bad times

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

I'm not even sure where you guys are seeing slo-mo there.

Watch the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JGrU_W_eWtA

This is all in gameplay speed. The gif has the bit where she's running up a wall and transitions into kicks off of it, as well as the spin around the pole. None of that looks slowed down.

The only notable observations are:

The framerate is kind of crap (might be the video though).

The hit pause frames (used in *many* games involving close physical combat) are extremely long. Usually they're just literally 1-2 frames during which the game freezes time to indicate a successful hit, but in this case it's like almost a second, and the camera keeps moving during the pauses and only the people stop. I think they're trying to make it look like an actual anime.

Edit: The whole thing feels like it has the timing sensibilities of Godhand.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 9, 2016

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Mithaldu posted:

The hit pause frames (used in *many* games involving close physical combat) are extremely long. Usually they're just literally 1-2 frames during which the game freezes time to indicate a successful hit, but in this case it's like almost a second, and the camera keeps moving during the pauses and only the people stop. I think they're trying to make it look like an actual anime.

this is what i'm referring to and yes it looks way too slow

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Saoshyant posted:

We salute the heroes whose noble monetary sacrifice ensured we got good videogames in a language people can read. It is a Vita of a good time to be alive.

:patriot: Replace flag with your respective nation.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I kinda like the hit pauses, it makes the hits look meaty to me :shrug:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

It makes it look pretty drat sluggish and in turn loses my interest. Imagine playing an entire game where it feels like you are hitting things in slow motion. It cannot be satisfying.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Saoshyant posted:

It makes it look pretty drat sluggish and in turn loses my interest. Imagine playing an entire game where it feels like you are hitting things in slow motion. It cannot be satisfying.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Saoshyant posted:

I agree Bayonetta is a lovely game

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

this is a game that uses action slo-mo well, yes

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

You guys know what I was talking about. Look at the trailer carefully, it's not there as a mechanic to make you feel awesome for pulling a kickass combo. It's just there.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
True, but I would still rather play it than a lot of beat em ups that hit the vita, because that handheld is devoid of anything resembling fun ones. It at least has some style to it.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
Stupid question, maybe, but can you no longer get Zettai Hero from the PSN? Or is it under another name?

Maybe I`m blind. I just gave my psp to my brother and wanted to buy it again like a good customer for old games.

Edit: VVV Wow, I`m very smart. Thank you that worked haha!

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 9, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schrodingers cat posted:

Stupid question, maybe, but can you no longer get Zettai Hero from the PSN? Or is it under another name?

Maybe I`m blind. I just gave my psp to my brother and wanted to buy it again like a good customer for old games.

Look under Z.H.P

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/zhp/cid=UP1063-ULUS10559_00-ZHP0000000000001

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Saoshyant posted:

Yeah, having seen that actual gameplay footage, D_T is right, this does look slow in a weird way.

Now, if you want something where your strikes are all super fast, play some Onechanbara! :devil:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

CrashCat posted:

I kinda like the hit pauses, it makes the hits look meaty to me :shrug:

Saoshyant posted:

The feature itself is fine, the pauses are just weirdly long. Toukiden is a good example of how to do it better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrT6BikiE0E&t=13s

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Congrats to the Vita thread, I didn't have to probate anyone during the Unfair Probation Period. Good job. Keep it up.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Light Gun Man posted:

Yeah, having seen that actual gameplay footage, D_T is right, this does look slow in a weird way.

Now, if you want something where your strikes are all super fast, play some Onechanbara! :devil:

Onechanbara is not HILARIOUS enough for D_T, despite its gameplay and visuals being literally everything he could want.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Takoluka posted:

Onechanbara is not HILARIOUS enough for D_T, despite its gameplay and visuals being literally everything he could want.

okay?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

look we've all had fun mocking D_T but let's cool it. he is enthusiastic and doesn't talk about having disdain for muscly women. he's a strong, helpful presence here.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

look we've all had fun mocking D_T but let's cool it. he is enthusiastic and doesn't talk about having disdain for muscly women. he's a strong, helpful presence here.

The issue here is that he was probably the first person other than maybe Policenaut to even start talking about Uppers, rather positively, only to now constantly express how much of a disappointment it already is. He went from "Oh man, Takaki made a bancho beat-em-up! Yeah!" to "Oh, Takaki made a sluggish, uninspired lack of effort," seemingly if only because Daidouji (maybe!) isn't going to be included in the character roster. The same thing happened with Vita Senran Kagura games. The series that he pretty much solely championed (until Ran_Kizama showed up) is now dead to him, replaced by Valkyrie Drive, for reasons no one can seem to decipher.

His enthusiasm goes in every direction, nonsensically so, and it just makes the discussion so disjointed. He's like if Taint Reaper was an otaku in fast-forward.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

D_T is legitimately a dude who likes what he likes, I just don't understand his logic at all. He's no Taint Reaper.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Takoluka posted:

The issue here is that he was probably the first person other than maybe Policenaut to even start talking about Uppers, rather positively, only to now constantly express how much of a disappointment it already is. He went from "Oh man, Takaki made a bancho beat-em-up! Yeah!" to "Oh, Takaki made a sluggish, uninspired lack of effort," seemingly if only because Daidouji (maybe!) isn't going to be included in the character roster. The same thing happened with Vita Senran Kagura games. The series that he pretty much solely championed (until Ran_Kizama showed up) is now dead to him, replaced by Valkyrie Drive, for reasons no one can seem to decipher.

His enthusiasm goes in every direction, nonsensically so, and it just makes the discussion so disjointed. He's like if Taint Reaper was an otaku in fast-forward.

why do you care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Takoluka posted:

this is the vita thread, not marriage counseling