Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

I would imagine sitting all day in cramped rooms with hilarious people rubs off on you after a couple years.

Why doesn't listening to hundreds of hours of podcasts have the same effect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

The surname of all the characters in Louis CK's new show is Wittel.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Zsinjeh posted:

comedy osmosis. A pupal stage if you will before blooming into a beautiful improvising butterfly

Is that like a crystalis?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Gabrus finding out that his random actor pal is Dario f'n Cueto on his latest podcast blew my mind.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Illinois Smith posted:

Gabrus finding out that his random actor pal is Dario f'n Cueto on his latest podcast blew my mind.
matt mccarthy geeking out about this is 100% justified

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
The new With Special Guest is terrific. Eliza Skinner is very funny.

the Insane Piano
Feb 10, 2011
It made me wonder if there is such a thing as dramatic improv or other kinds of not necessarily comedy improv?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Serial is fully improvised

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

the Insane Piano posted:

It made me wonder if there is such a thing as dramatic improv or other kinds of not necessarily comedy improv?

Can't remember exactly where, but I've heard Matt Besser talk about studying under Del Close and him directing them to perform dramatic improv based on bleak news stories and encouraging them to find the emotional truth of the articles and whatnot, but that both the audiences and performers found it draining and incongruous with the comedy improv everyone was used to (Close had them do both as segments of one show). I think it's in either in a I4H episode about UCB history or an article on that or both.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

GimpChimp posted:

Can't remember exactly where, but I've heard Matt Besser talk about studying under Del Close and him directing them to perform dramatic improv based on bleak news stories and encouraging them to find the emotional truth of the articles and whatnot, but that both the audiences and performers found it draining and incongruous with the comedy improv everyone was used to (Close had them do both as segments of one show). I think it's in either in a I4H episode about UCB history or an article on that or both.

I'm pretty sure one time was a harold about a woman drowning her kids or some poo poo. I forgot when he talked about that. But yeah serious walkouts.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

the Insane Piano posted:

There's a handful of dramatic improv shows around, but nothing's really caught on. I seem to recall hearing about an improv group that performs improvised dramatic plays on the sets of actual plays in their off nights. I think in Chicago?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

the Insane Piano posted:

one of my improv teachers talked about how your characters become much more believable if you practice serious non funny scenes

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

the Insane Piano posted:

There is but mostly as an acting exercise because it isn't interesting to watch.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

GimpChimp posted:

Apparently Close would laugh during a few of those too while the rest of the room sat in silence.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Reading "Truth in Comedy" was interesting because Del seemed to really want the comedy to happen naturally. He wanted the audience to find the comedy in a situation and not be hit over the head with it. He was against going for the joke in improv. I don't think he'd like modern improv, actually.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

PBS Newshour posted:

Apparently Close would laugh during a few of those too while the rest of the room sat in silence.

seems like he was operating on a truly god tier irony level. you KNOW he would have thought 9/11 was hilarious

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tarranon posted:

seems like he was operating on a truly god tier irony level. you KNOW he would have thought 9/11 was hilarious

He would have started a class the next day "Let's do a scene set in the second tower just after the first one collapses".

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Directors like Cassavetes and Robert Altman made movies with lots of improvised dialogue. Not exactly the same, since the basics of the character relationships and plot points were all mapped out, but it's like a dramatic version of the Curb Your Enthusiasm approach.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
UCB in LA runs a number of shows that are definitely less intentionally jokey. Much more patient play where naturally funny things will arise because you have very funny people on the stage.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
please don't put that racist poo poo on here thx

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
How can we tell if it's racist if we haven't listened to the episode yet?

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

It's always racist

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Bah bah bu Boo bah Boo

Yo yo yo wha'ts up it's me Andrew T and this is yo is this racist with my guest, a guy i found in the UCB lobby at 10:45 pm on a wednesday

Let's go to our question

Hey Andrew love the show just wondering... my cousin is really into dirt bike racing and doing the big jumps. Is this racist?

Hey thanks for the question, got to say neither me or my guest know anything about the topic, will do no research, and despite choosing these questions in advance I haven't thought at all about this before this exact second. I'd say it's probably racist.

Bah bah bu Boo bah Boo

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Help i am stuck in the tv.
No wait its worst its a podcast.
And its Yo is this racist? help!

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
So is a bunch of commenters saying racial slurs racist or not?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Yo, is running out of topics racist?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
For anyone keeping up with Spont, have any recent ones been exceptional? It's hard keeping up with that one, when it's mostly a stable cast of players with no week to week changes aside from the special guest.

In return, I'll tell you which episodes of Womp it Up have been good recently. The Job Daly one. That is all.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

UP AND ADAM posted:

For anyone keeping up with Spont, have any recent ones been exceptional? It's hard keeping up with that one, when it's mostly a stable cast of players with no week to week changes aside from the special guest.

In return, I'll tell you which episodes of Womp it Up have been good recently. The Job Daly one. That is all.

I'm nearly caught up on SPONT, I didn't like it initially due to the longer narrative format. It's hard to improvise a long cohesive story like that, especially when everyone gets confused about what's going on. But I really feel like it's been awesome for a while, Paul and the regulars are getting better at it every episode. Especially the ones with Matt Gourley and the rest of the Super Ego crew (when they're all confused it just gets funnier).

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Work Friend Keven posted:

Bah bah bu Boo bah Boo

Yo yo yo wha'ts up it's me Andrew T and this is yo is this racist with my guest, a guy i found in the UCB lobby at 10:45 pm on a wednesday

Let's go to our question

Hey Andrew love the show just wondering... my cousin is really into dirt bike racing and doing the big jumps. Is this racist?

Hey thanks for the question, got to say neither me or my guest know anything about the topic, will do no research, and despite choosing these questions in advance I haven't thought at all about this before this exact second. I'd say it's probably racist.

Bah bah bu Boo bah Boo

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

ElCondemn posted:

I'm nearly caught up on SPONT, I didn't like it initially due to the longer narrative format. It's hard to improvise a long cohesive story like that, especially when everyone gets confused about what's going on. But I really feel like it's been awesome for a while, Paul and the regulars are getting better at it every episode. Especially the ones with Matt Gourley and the rest of the Super Ego crew (when they're all confused it just gets funnier).

Yeah, it's definitely improved over time, though I can't help but feel the format is flawed. If I'm listening while doing anything else, which I am when listening to a podcast almost by definition, by the time the break in the improv happens I'm totally lost and sometimes don't bother with the second half.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Bah bah bu Boo bah Boo

Let's go to our question

Bah bah bu Boo bah Boo

this is real good and accurate, and Good.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

Bah bah bu Boo bah Boo

Let's go to our question

Bah bah bu Boo bah Boo

Perfect

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Just watched Gabrus' bit on the UCB show where he comes out looking like this

and I know this probably wasn't the first time in his life where he chugged two beers with three raw eggs between them but ... loving hell Gabrus. At least he made it off the stage before throwing up.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Nah it's cool, he knows a lot of weightlifting and rugby terms, that makes him fit by osmosis.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Zsinjeh posted:

Nah it's cool, he knows a lot of weightlifting and rugby terms, that makes him fit by osmosis.

He was in like, really great shape in high school and that carries over for the rest of your life.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Eating 50 wings in one sitting is sort of a athletic feat if you think about it.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

If you weigh 300 lbs you gotta have pretty athletic feet.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Today's Hollywood Handbook is amazing.

"Yeah, that's kind of all my commercials."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Golden Bee posted:

Today's Hollywood Handbook is amazing.

"Yeah, that's kind of all my commercials."

"You bring up child genitals with the wrong client, they're out the door."
"Oh, we know! We know. We have to do ad reads for this show sometimes, and it's not good."