Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

FordPRefectLL posted:

failing a hack doesn't really ruin the whole mission either, just makes it more difficult.

Aliens are pretty defensive about you hacking their light posts and will call in reinforcements and also break concealment if you fail a hack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Harrow posted:

So what are the "must stop" Dark Events? Some of them don't seem too nasty, others seem utterly crippling, but I never know what to prioritize when it pops up.
I used to consider hidden faceless in Guerilla Ops must stop, but it's really mostly just a good way to get more early mimic beacons

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Vib Rib posted:

I think it's pretty easily doable. Would shred or pierce make more sense? Or a bit of both for the final tier? Would increasing aim help?

The aim's pretty good already since you're so close up to the baddies. If it's possible to split pierce/shred, I think that would make the most sense.

e: I'd make any -Progress on Doom a priority once it's ticked over the halfway marker, but I'm overly cautious. It's an everything-or-nothing, far as I know. There's no benefits to the aliens getting closer to Avatar until they've filled the bar all the way up, and even then, there's a brief grace period for you to scramble and take it down some. Bear in mind that some projects and gameplay events -- like running certain Shadow Room projects -- will also lower the Doom Meter.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 8, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Linx posted:

Oh awesome. I wish the game had made that a little more clear, but I suppose most players aren't franchise first timers. I have no idea if my decisions thus far have been good or not, I'm pretty much just picking things that I think seem useful or cool.

The whole Avatar Project timer thing is new to XCOM 2, so it'd be new to you even if you'd played a previous game (like me). In XCOM: Enemy Unknown, it was more about global panic--you had to make sure the Council's members didn't freak out and cut your funding by making sure you stop terror events and bad poo poo in their regions in a timely manner. There wasn't a big countdown clock like in XCOM 2.

A hint to avoid my mistake: prioritize building Resistance Comms. Not first necessarily, but really early on. A lot of the "set back the Avatar Project timer" missions will spawn outside of your starting contact range and you're going to have to make contact with other resistance cells to do that. I didn't built it early enough and didn't have enough contact slots, so I ended up running out of time scrambling to build Resistance Comms and made some very poor decisions along the way.

golem_ii
Dec 22, 2004

Face Off is hilarious.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Harrow posted:

So what are the "must stop" Dark Events? Some of them don't seem too nasty, others seem utterly crippling, but I never know what to prioritize when it pops up.

The one that broadens the enemy's vision is what destroyed my last run. It's pretty much impossible to fight less than 2 pods with that even active.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Harrow posted:

The Avatar project ones are a given, and so is the one that decreases the supply drop by 50% or increases intel costs by 100%, both of which can be way worse than you expect.

The "Chrysalids in every mission" is also a pretty good candidate.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
On the topic of wacky military weapon system names

Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense System

Aegis the shield of ZEUS!

And an odd question do you pronounce Aegis as A-gis or E-gis?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

The Avatar project ones are a given, and so is the one that decreases the supply drop by 50% or increases intel costs by 100%, both of which can be way worse than you expect.

I never saw that one in my last campaign. Holy poo poo, that's terrifying. Yeah, I'd drop everything to stop that.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Depending on your style and team loadout some extra Chryssalids late game aren't always a big issue. Early/mid for sure though.

I started ignoring the hidden faceless and hidden chryssalid dark events after I started getting t3 weapons and high-ranked soldiers when there were other things I liked less.

I almost always ignore Major Breakthrough dark events though since it's just easier to bounce the avatar timer most of the time.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Harrow posted:

I consider UFO pretty bad, armor padding can be really bad early on before you get AP rounds/better gun, I just rolled one to give all aliens poison bullets which would be absolutely terrible, the one to double intel costs, and there's one for reducing all income by 50%.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

Harrow posted:

The whole Avatar Project timer thing is new to XCOM 2, so it'd be new to you even if you'd played a previous game (like me). In XCOM: Enemy Unknown, it was more about global panic--you had to make sure the Council's members didn't freak out and cut your funding by making sure you stop terror events and bad poo poo in their regions in a timely manner. There wasn't a big countdown clock like in XCOM 2.

A hint to avoid my mistake: prioritize building Resistance Comms. Not first necessarily, but really early on. A lot of the "set back the Avatar Project timer" missions will spawn outside of your starting contact range and you're going to have to make contact with other resistance cells to do that. I didn't built it early enough and didn't have enough contact slots, so I ended up running out of time scrambling to build Resistance Comms and made some very poor decisions along the way.

I think I may have researched the first two Comms projects that my science guy gave me, so it's good to know that I've headed down the right track early on. I've read a couple of times that power is super important so 2/3 excavated rooms I've made into power generators as well.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Tenzarin posted:

ayyy-gis

(yeah, really)

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Tenzarin posted:

On the topic of wacky military weapon system names

Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense System

Aegis the shield of ZEUS!

Aye-jiss. Like in Persona! :D

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tenzarin posted:

I've always said A-gis, or really more of Ayee-gis like Fonzie.

Although I think the Ash is supposed to be an 'e' sound if anything. Like Archaeology. You can say "ark-ayee-ology" but most people say "ark-e-ology"

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Harrow posted:

I usually wait till I have magnetic weapons before I start getting resistance comms. My last game was going really good on the supply also intill I wasted it all on useless stuff.

Odd thing is I was able to make contact while the comm center was building.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Tenzarin posted:

Aliens are pretty defensive about you hacking their light posts and will call in reinforcements and also break concealment if you fail a hack.

More dead aliens :getin:

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
So what corpses are safe to sell?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Harrow posted:

One I haven't seen other people mention that I found unbearable was increased detection radius during concealment. It basically made sneaking impossible. It was way to easy for enemies to spot my guys the second I got sight of them. It totally fucks up your ability to reach timed mission objectives quickly, and as a result will gently caress up further attempts to stop dark events.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
Why do enemies have specifically anti-melee abilities when melee is so garbage? Why is that even a thing? Were swords even tested at higher difficulties?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

ZearothK posted:

[Edit]By the way, if you have two Psykers with Domination can you have more than one Dominated alien at a time or is it only one per mission?

Each psi operative can have their own dominated alien. This is pretty fun when you have more than one and just take over a pod and use them as cannon fodder

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Can anyone find where, during level up, you actually add the new abilities? I think I found it for the Psi class, but not for the other classes.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Dr. Carwash posted:

So what corpses are safe to sell?

Whatever you have the most of. I find it's safe to sell a little elerium and alien alloy, but hang onto the loving Cores. Some less useful attachments are easy to sell, too.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Operant posted:

Why do enemies have specifically anti-melee abilities when melee is so garbage? Why is that even a thing? Were swords even tested at higher difficulties?

Swords seem like they are good on legend, as rangers dont start with run and gun and they let you kill units way ahead. I just dont understand a shotgun on a ranger without run and gun or even why run and gun is in the blademaster tree.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Internet Kraken posted:

One I haven't seen other people mention that I found unbearable was increased detection radius during concealment. It basically made sneaking impossible. It was way to easy for enemies to spot my guys the second I got sight of them. It totally fucks up your ability to reach timed mission objectives quickly, and as a result will gently caress up further attempts to stop dark events.

Sneaking sucks anyway. Go in grenades blazing.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Has anyone found a way to make pods spawn more enemies? I'm playing with an 8-man squad so even on Legend I'm wiping out entire pods before they can react.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Y'know, I don't think I find the new Sectoids to be as nasty as some people do, even in the early game. Yeah, they have some really dangerous abilities, but their priorities are completely hosed. If there's a corpse for them to reanimate, like 90% of the time that's what they're going to spend their turn on. Then the Psi Zombie doesn't do anything (because it can't on its first turn) and you can probably take out the Sectoid before it gets another turn, which also rids you of the Psi Zombie.

I actually think they'd be more dangerous if they couldn't reanimate corpses. Then, they'd spend their turns panicking and mind controlling soldiers instead.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Hick Magnet posted:

Has anyone found a way to make pods spawn more enemies? I'm playing with an 8-man squad so even on Legend I'm wiping out entire pods before they can react.

There's a mod that adds one enemy to each pod, you can probably grab that and reverse engineer it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bogart posted:

Whatever you have the most of. I find it's safe to sell a little elerium and alien alloy, but hang onto the loving Cores. Some less useful attachments are easy to sell, too.

Should I sell data pads?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Should I sell data pads?

Alien Data Pads are 80 intel, ADVENT ones are like 40? Balance it out with if you need intel or supplies more.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Late game is too drat easy lol

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

RBA Starblade posted:

Sneaking sucks anyway. Go in grenades blazing.

The best way to hit a whole pod with a grenade is to spot it with your phantom ranger first and then light it up with a grenadier who isn't in los (and the real best way is to do that with a proximity mine since it won't alert them and then also use a second grenade/sniper killzone/pretty much whatever)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Elliotw2 posted:

Alien Data Pads are 80 intel, ADVENT ones are like 40? Balance it out with if you need intel or supplies more.

Is that all they do? Research them for an Intel boost? Well hell I have plenty of that, to the market!

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Harrow posted:

Y'know, I don't think I find the new Sectoids to be as nasty as some people do, even in the early game. Yeah, they have some really dangerous abilities, but their priorities are completely hosed. If there's a corpse for them to reanimate, like 90% of the time that's what they're going to spend their turn on. Then the Psi Zombie doesn't do anything (because it can't on its first turn) and you can probably take out the Sectoid before it gets another turn, which also rids you of the Psi Zombie.

I actually think they'd be more dangerous if they couldn't reanimate corpses. Then, they'd spend their turns panicking and mind controlling soldiers instead.

Yeah, the fact that reanimation is their highest priority really reduces their threat level a lot. I know that most of the time I have a 1 turn window when they are not a threat. Its after that window when they start panicking and mind controlling my guys that they become dangerous.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Dongicus posted:

Late game is too drat easy lol

honestly :agreed:

there just aren't enough ayys on the bread and butter missions to outpace your supply of 'delete pod now' options once you're rolling colonels, plasma and a war suit or two

the final mission excepted, of course, that was hard and grueling as gently caress

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Elliotw2 posted:

Although the Black Market quite frequently sells Supplies for a very small amount of Intel.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Harrow posted:

Lategame they start showing up on pods with no advent and thus no corpses to reanimate and you're absolutely correct but they're still usually the least dangerous ayy on the field

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sounds like the difficulty curve is about the same as EU, then:
  • Get hosed by the RNG in the early game.
  • Spike in combat difficulty each time a new type of alien is introduced, but it evens out after a couple of missions involving that alien.
  • Squad steamrolls aliens in the late game.
I've never played on the hardest difficulty, though, so maybe it's not quite as predictable there.

XCOM 2's difficulty, for me at least, has been in managing the Avatar Project and the overall geoscape, and rarely on individual missions. Though I still think that time my Psi Op got killed from full HP in a single crit by a Muton was some bullshit. Do soldiers not enter bleed out state anymore or something?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I got lucky with my UFO mission. I had a plateau with a lower level around the sides and far back, so snipers just murdered anything trying to climb up the cliffs.
I think that's always the layout, at least I've done two Avenger defence missions so far and it's pretty much been the same map, just with the objective in another place.

Early Avenger defence was brutal for me. I only lost a Rookie but the way back to the Avenger was a really tense fighting retreat. In the end almost everyone was injured. Early on it can just be tough to keep up with the reinforcements since low level people just don't kill fast enough.

Midgame Avenger defence on the other hand was a ridiculous slaughter. I killed over 90 enemies and only stopped piling up bodies because at some point it started causing the game to slow down.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Harrow posted:

XCOM 2's difficulty, for me at least, has been in managing the Avatar Project and the overall geoscape, and rarely on individual missions. Though I still think that time my Psi Op got killed from full HP in a single crit by a Muton was some bullshit. Do soldiers not enter bleed out state anymore or something?

If a soldier is downed by a crit they're dead as poo poo, which makes sense since it's a crit. Bleedout in general seems to be attached to being brought to 1-2 health in XCOM2 instead of actually running out of health and rolling the dice this time.